In Which Blueberries Sticks to the Plan

Blueberries

Oh! I almost forgot...

Yesterday was not good for the mini-challenge. I did a whopping 30 since I was a) so crazy busy all day, and B) beat up from lifting. Went to bed earlier than usual, and now I'm starting fresh today. Today there will be all the jumping.

Yes! What they said^ all of those people up there (nf has been glitchy this morning so I'm avoiding the multi quote for hte time being).

Tape it! We'll check out your form :) (cue jokes..)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Tape it! We'll check out your form :) (cue jokes..)

Ha! Seems... I don't know... silly(?) to tape it for the whole TWO reps I'm going to get. Maybe I should just do it.

Jumping, jumping, jumping. I think I am redefining "Active Rest Day" this week.

Fair warning, I'm going to need lots of help putting together a cohesive "eat enough to gain strength without gaining too much fat" plan here pretty soon. I've been working on this cut for 14 months straight, so the shift to eating a caloric excess is going to be a mentally tough one for me.

I wish I had the insight to realize that a plan was important and that just "eating all the things" was not the best way to go about it... I think we'll be able to figure something out!

Tape it! It's never, ever silly to tape it :) You can tape some warm ups, too. That way we can see what, if anything changes with weight. (I get nerdy delight from looking at form check videos).

JUMP JUMP! Yay for jumping!!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

I agree. Form check is a good thing. SO INTIMIDATING (for me anyway), but it was the most helpful thing I've ever done, weight-lifting-wise.

Oh, and I didn't mean get hurt. I just meant, if you can do 200 then jump up to 200. For me, some of my stickiness at 185 was the chalk issue, but some of it was also mental. So I jumped up to 205, and unless it feels REALLY heavy (I'll drop to 190-195 on those days), I'll just stick out the 200s.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I wish I had the insight to realize that a plan was important and that just "eating all the things" was not the best way to go about it... I think we'll be able to figure something out!

Tape it! It's never, ever silly to tape it :) You can tape some warm ups, too. That way we can see what, if anything changes with weight. (I get nerdy delight from looking at form check videos).

JUMP JUMP! Yay for jumping!!

Yep.. I know enough about myself to know that I'm going to absolutely have to have a plan. I'm thinking of a net 3000-3100 calories per day (TDEE should be about 2600 according to the Harris Benedict BMR formula using the 1.55 multiplier). Thoughts?

I agree. Form check is a good thing. SO INTIMIDATING (for me anyway), but it was the most helpful thing I've ever done, weight-lifting-wise.

Oh, and I didn't mean get hurt. I just meant, if you can do 200 then jump up to 200. For me, some of my stickiness at 185 was the chalk issue, but some of it was also mental. So I jumped up to 205, and unless it feels REALLY heavy (I'll drop to 190-195 on those days), I'll just stick out the 200s.

Oh I know you didn't. Sometimes I think I'm just aiming for over 200 because I'm stubborn. :)

I did a form check sometime this summer, which was helpful for me. I still run through a lot of the advice I got in my head right before I lift. It probably is time to consider another one. I'll have to remember to take the iPad with me one day so I can have somebody tape me.

I still go back to my old form checks (and all the other insanely helpful information I've gotten here) on the regular. If I could, I would plaster the mirrors (patooie!) in the gym with helpful information. And funny stuff.. b/c I like funny stuff..

which is why I'm here! In A&P right now and I see at the bottom of my screen this sentence: "Blueberries grow best in moderately acidic soils." and I totally giggled because I pictured you in soil... and then I pictured a bunch of pH scales. I think, I think, I might be losing it.

Regarding the awesome eating: 1. eating a lot is SO MUCH FUN. 2. eating a lot is so much harder than people realize when it's not pizza and cake. 3. but it's still so fun! But really, I think that sounds decent. I'm not sure what your activity level is like outside of lifting but since I know you've got Wee Berries I imagine it's more active than my own. With that said, I like to use both the 1.35 (or 1.375? I forget, but the next one down) and the 1.55 so I have a good range. Since it'll be such a change for you to eat so much more it couldn't hurt to increase it incrementally. So, maybe start with what you get at 1.3something for a couple weeks, see what happens and then increase it if no changes occur, etc.

I'm all about increments.

?bb_attachments=365503&bbat=39643&inline

(seriously, losing it)

I still go back to my old form checks (and all the other insanely helpful information I've gotten here) on the regular. If I could, I would plaster the mirrors (patooie!) in the gym with helpful information. And funny stuff.. b/c I like funny stuff..

which is why I'm here! In A&P right now and I see at the bottom of my screen this sentence: "Blueberries grow best in moderately acidic soils." and I totally giggled because I pictured you in soil... and then I pictured a bunch of pH scales. I think, I think, I might be losing it.

Regarding the awesome eating: 1. eating a lot is SO MUCH FUN. 2. eating a lot is so much harder than people realize when it's not pizza and cake. 3. but it's still so fun! But really, I think that sounds decent. I'm not sure what your activity level is like outside of lifting but since I know you've got Wee Berries I imagine it's more active than my own. With that said, I like to use both the 1.35 (or 1.375? I forget, but the next one down) and the 1.55 so I have a good range. Since it'll be such a change for you to eat so much more it couldn't hurt to increase it incrementally. So, maybe start with what you get at 1.3something for a couple weeks, see what happens and then increase it if no changes occur, etc.

I'm all about increments.

?bb_attachments=365503&bbat=39643&inline

(seriously, losing it)

Ugh, stop reminding me that I need to do A&P!

Re: more food. On the one hand, I'm all, "Yay! Eat all the foods!" and then on the other hand I'm all, "Whaddya mean I can't just eat all the extra calories in milkshakes?"

Ugh, stop reminding me that I need to do A&P!

Re: more food. On the one hand, I'm all, "Yay! Eat all the foods!" and then on the other hand I'm all, "Whaddya mean I can't just eat all the extra calories in milkshakes?"

Laura- I was just talking to a coworker, and told him, "Most days I feel like a psychiatrist would tell me i'm a danger to myself and others." (Luckily I'm too lazy or too realistic about the results to do anything.)

As for more food. You know, even if I"m eating the "right food" I never have a hard time eating more. But maybe it's a perspective thing since I'm ALWAYS trying to eat less?? I feel like this isn't normal, and that's the main reason I wanted to get some of my vitamin and mineral levels checked. If something's out of whack, maybe that's where these constant hungry feelings or cravings are coming from. But, the doctor thinks I'm crazy and these tests are unnecessary (and would probably prescribe diet meds). :) Of course, they'd probalby just come back normal and I really do need to learn to eat less.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Hahahahahah No! I will never stop reminding you :D But seriously, I barely got anything done. I reread the same passage like 5 times. Ah well.

You know, I can pretty easily eat 2300-2600 calories (or have in the past) of healthy foods but once I started trying to hit 3k.. it was a mess.

Best. Workout. Ever.

No really, I don't think I've had this much fun lifting in a long time! My gym got bumper plates yesterday, and today I wanted to do ALL the Oly lifts. I love that my puny 65lb clean & jerks looked like I was lifting so much. Plus, I could pull from the floor without having to go track down risers. I've never even tried to add the jerk before, and that was freaking awesome. LOVE!

Today's Workout

Front Squat

45 x 5

45 x 5

65 x 3

85 x 5

85 x 5

105 x 5 <-PR? I've never tried this much before

Power Clean/Clean & Jerk

65 x about a million

Seriously, I was like a kid at Christmas. I have no idea how many of these I did, but it was a LOT.

Deadlift

205 x 1

185 x 1

135 x 5

Turns out a million (even light) cleans will drain your DL. Who knew?

Bench - Heavy Singles

45 x 5

45 x 5

55 x 3

75 x 2

105 x 1 <- Woot! I just got a 3x5 at 90, but I've never tried anything over that.

105 x 1

105 x Fail

65 x 8

65 x 8

Squat (because, you know, it feels weird if I don't back squat)

45 x 5

45 x 5

65 x 5

95 x 3

125 x 2

-----------

Calf raises at 155

-----------

155 x 2 <- This is where my body pronounced me done.

I'm going to go ahead and say that there will be no jumping rope for me today.

Laura- I was just talking to a coworker, and told him, "Most days I feel like a psychiatrist would tell me i'm a danger to myself and others." (Luckily I'm too lazy or too realistic about the results to do anything.)

As for more food. You know, even if I"m eating the "right food" I never have a hard time eating more. But maybe it's a perspective thing since I'm ALWAYS trying to eat less?? I feel like this isn't normal, and that's the main reason I wanted to get some of my vitamin and mineral levels checked. If something's out of whack, maybe that's where these constant hungry feelings or cravings are coming from. But, the doctor thinks I'm crazy and these tests are unnecessary (and would probably prescribe diet meds). :) Of course, they'd probalby just come back normal and I really do need to learn to eat less.

See, I feel like my challenge is going to be giving myself permission to eat more food without giving myself permission to eat whatever the *#&$ I want.

Hahahahahah No! I will never stop reminding you :D But seriously, I barely got anything done. I reread the same passage like 5 times. Ah well.

You know, I can pretty easily eat 2300-2600 calories (or have in the past) of healthy foods but once I started trying to hit 3k.. it was a mess.

3,000-ish is going to be interesting, for sure. Keeping it a) relatively clean and B) as inexpensive as possible... this is why I need my nerds.

Best. Workout. Ever.

No really, I don't think I've had this much fun lifting in a long time! My gym got bumper plates yesterday, and today I wanted to do ALL the Oly lifts. I love that my puny 65lb clean & jerks looked like I was lifting so much. Plus, I could pull from the floor without having to go track down risers. I've never even tried to add the jerk before, and that was freaking awesome. LOVE!

Today's Workout

Front Squat

45 x 5

45 x 5

65 x 3

85 x 5

85 x 5

105 x 5 <-PR? I've never tried this much before

Power Clean/Clean & Jerk

65 x about a million

Seriously, I was like a kid at Christmas. I have no idea how many of these I did, but it was a LOT.

Deadlift

205 x 1

185 x 1

135 x 5

Turns out a million (even light) cleans will drain your DL. Who knew?

Bench - Heavy Singles

45 x 5

45 x 5

55 x 3

75 x 2

105 x 1 <- Woot! I just got a 3x5 at 90, but I've never tried anything over that.

105 x 1

105 x Fail

65 x 8

65 x 8

Squat (because, you know, it feels weird if I don't back squat)

45 x 5

45 x 5

65 x 5

95 x 3

125 x 2

-----------

Calf raises at 155

-----------

155 x 2 <- This is where my body pronounced me done.

I'm going to go ahead and say that there will be no jumping rope for me today.

See, I feel like my challenge is going to be giving myself permission to eat more food without giving myself permission to eat whatever the *#&$ I want.

3,000-ish is going to be interesting, for sure. Keeping it a) relatively clean and B) as inexpensive as possible... this is why I need my nerds.

What a fantastic workout! Nope, fantastic isn't good enough, I'm going to go with spectacular. What a spectacular workout!!! Excellent job!

I really need to start pushing my calories up more and more, but I get really tired of eating that much haha! It's amazing how hard it is to take in too many calories when you cut out all of the crap foods.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Addicting stuff, right?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the oly lifts! I freaking suck at them still and I can't get enough.

It is! I had serious fun today. I'm a little scared to try to learn snatches, though. I was doing hang snatches with PVC a few weeks ago, and when I tried one with the empty bar, I almost lost the bar over the back of my head. First time I've been legitimately afraid when lifting.

that is so exciting about the clean & jerks! i always admire all the people doing them in my gym, but i am so intimidated by idea. your enthusiasm about them makes me think maybe i should just be brave & try!

Try them! Nobody ever does them in my gym, so I was quite the spectacle today. Plus, since we haven't had bumpers (and they're being kept in a locked closet for now...), everybody thought I was doing 135. Ha.

What a fantastic workout! Nope, fantastic isn't good enough, I'm going to go with spectacular. What a spectacular workout!!! Excellent job!

I really need to start pushing my calories up more and more, but I get really tired of eating that much haha! It's amazing how hard it is to take in too many calories when you cut out all of the crap foods.

Thanks, MP!

What?! Who gets tired of eating all the things? :) Kidding... I'm really kind of interested to see how this is going to play out. Mostly, I just want my lifts to start going up up up.

DO ALL THE OLY LIFTS! I want bumper plates! That's so exciting!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

I found the mindset switch hard, too. But it comes. That's another reason I like increasing in increments. Aside from the 'holy crap how do I digest all this?!?!?' part of it is the, 'yes, i am allowed to eat this much. yes, i am allowed to eat this much. no, put down the ice cream. okay, yes, I can eat all this food." and yeah.

It probalby wouldn't hurt to start doing 'dry runs' of what that would look like on a food planning/logging site.

Pop quiz! What feels better than lying on a lacrosse ball?

A: Lying on a lacrosse ball while a 30-pound one-year-old uses you as a climbing wall/trampoline/mechanical bull. Rational people would stop when they see you wincing in pain. One-year-olds are not rational people. Wincing in pain only makes them giggle and do it again harder.

DO ALL THE OLY LIFTS! I want bumper plates! That's so exciting!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

I found the mindset switch hard, too. But it comes. That's another reason I like increasing in increments. Aside from the 'holy crap how do I digest all this?!?!?' part of it is the, 'yes, i am allowed to eat this much. yes, i am allowed to eat this much. no, put down the ice cream. okay, yes, I can eat all this food." and yeah.

It probalby wouldn't hurt to start doing 'dry runs' of what that would look like on a food planning/logging site.

No lie, I wanted to C&J in the lobby. "Look how much I am lifting!" Haha...

Re: dry runs. That's sort of what I've been toying with, to see what an actual day of food would look like.

It is! I had serious fun today. I'm a little scared to try to learn snatches, though. I was doing hang snatches with PVC a few weeks ago, and when I tried one with the empty bar, I almost lost the bar over the back of my head. First time I've been legitimately afraid when lifting.

ah! that happened with a guy today who did not have an empty bar & he fell over backwards off the platform right into where i was walking past. it was totally scary! . . . that was probably the least helpful comment. i'm so sorry.

Try them! Nobody ever does them in my gym, so I was quite the spectacle today. Plus, since we haven't had bumpers (and they're being kept in a locked closet for now...), everybody thought I was doing 135. Ha.

i'm working my way up to it! there's a coach guy who's in the gym two nights a week, i'm thinking of asking him to show me what to do. i know there's some kind of extra light non-bar (possibly made of pvc) that i've seen guys using, but i think they keep it locked up when not in use because it's never just hanging around the gym when i look for it.

Yeah, I mean, think about what a snatch really is. Take a heavy bar, throw it up in the air, then jump underneath it. There's a little part of your brain thinking "this is a really stupid idea." Of course, to be a successful weightlifter, you have to get past that eventually (I'm definitely not there yet). Anyway, like any other lift, you just have to practice your bails. And missing behind is better than missing out in front - or at least that's what jdanger tells me.

ah! that happened with a guy today who did not have an empty bar & he fell over backwards off the platform right into where i was walking past. it was totally scary! . . . that was probably the least helpful comment. i'm so sorry.

I've fallen on my tuchus a few times - the only thing that really gets hurt is your ego. ;)

Yeah, I mean, think about what a snatch really is. Take a heavy bar, throw it up in the air, then jump underneath it. There's a little part of your brain thinking "this is a really stupid idea." Of course, to be a successful weightlifter, you have to get past that eventually (I'm definitely not there yet). Anyway, like any other lift, you just have to practice your bails. And missing behind is better than missing out in front - or at least that's what jdanger tells me.

I've fallen on my tuchus a few times - the only thing that really gets hurt is your ego. ;)

You know, I was thinking that when I watched BigM's video. Not that his form is awful and fearmaking..just holy crap, that's a lot of bar going really high up...really fast... my whole brain was like, "noooooooooooooo!" So yeah, I imagine that will be fun for me when I start playing with the oly lifts.

Hahahaha so very much the ego. I hate that.

i'm working my way up to it! there's a coach guy who's in the gym two nights a week, i'm thinking of asking him to show me what to do. i know there's some kind of extra light non-bar (possibly made of pvc) that i've seen guys using, but i think they keep it locked up when not in use because it's never just hanging around the gym when i look for it.

Definitely ask! But remember, a lot of trainers don't really know what they're doing, either. Unless you luck out and find a great one, which is totally possible.

You know, I was thinking that when I watched BigM's video. Not that his form is awful and fearmaking..just holy crap, that's a lot of bar going really high up...really fast... my whole brain was like, "noooooooooooooo!" So yeah, I imagine that will be fun for me when I start playing with the oly lifts.

Hahahaha so very much the ego. I hate that.

Haha... I'm not too worried about my ego in the gym. I already get all kinds of odd looks for actually lifting... I think I've become immune. Interesting about missing behind being better. I think I'm extra worried about that because there's no real space for me to lift and I'm afraid I'd throw it backwards onto someone walking behind me. Speaking of which...

True story, y'all. Today, I was doing clean & jerks (mostly cleans, but I threw in a few jerks), and when I had the barbell locked out over my head at the end, a woman walked/ducked under my loaded bar to get around the decline bench next to me. Granted, it was only 75 pounds, and I knew I wasn't going to drop it on her, but she certainly didn't know I wasn't going to drop it on her. People are ridiculous.

Today's Workout

Squats

45 x 5

45 x 5

65 x 5

95 x 3

115 x 2

--------------

Calf raises at 165

--------------

145 x 5

145 x 5

145 x 5

Only 2 pounds off where I had my working sets before I got sick.

OHP

45 x 5

45 x 5

55 x 5

65 x 2

72 x 3

72 x 3

72 x 3

72 x 3

72 x 3 <- PR on the first try!

Power Cleans/Clean & Jerk

75 x lots of singles (forgot to count)

True story, y'all. Today, I was doing clean & jerks (mostly cleans, but I threw in a few jerks), and when I had the barbell locked out over my head at the end, a woman walked/ducked under my loaded bar to get around the decline bench next to me. Granted, it was only 75 pounds, and I knew I wasn't going to drop it on her, but she certainly didn't know I wasn't going to drop it on her. People are ridiculous.

I hate when that happens. I always wait for the bar to be racked when I need to get by someone who is lifting if I can't give them enough space to not worry about them accidentally hitting me because I got too close.

Congrats on your OHP PR and on almost getting your squat back to where it was!

Week 3 Updates in GREEN

My starting stats:

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 196.4 194.8 195.0 192.8

Waist: 31.0 Same Same Same

Hips: 43.0 42.75 42.5 Same

Current Working Weights (3x5):

Squat: 147 Same

Bench: 90 92

OHP: 70 72

Deadlift (1x5): 197 Same(ish)

Diet/Fitness

1. Stick to the Meal Plan

About 6 out of 7 days each week, I find myself scrambling at 5:30 with hungry, whiny kids trying to figure out what's for dinner. We don't really do convenience foods around here, so I've got to find something to cook. If I'm lucky, there's thawed meat in the fridge I can cook. Usually, I'm not lucky and everything's frozen, because I'm not a consistent planner. To make my life easier, I will make weekly meal plans ahead of time so that:

a) I have all the ingredients I need on hand

B) I can prep ahead of time to cut down on the actual daily cooking time

In practical terms, this means I'll need to make a full plan and shopping list at the end of each week so that I can shop and prep at some point over the weekend.

+3 WIS (and if it works as intended, +75 Sanity)

Getting a C/D this week. I stuck to the plan well last week, but didn't finish making the plan for this week and haven't been sticking to the little bit that I did get made.

2. Stick to the Workout Plan

Lift all the things! Mentioned above, I function best on a regular routine. With the way my schedule falls right now, that means I have time for workouts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Heavy lifting (continue SS progression) at least 2x per week with the third open for a lighter lifting session or something else if I'm just not feeling it. Cutting a little more heavily (see goal 3) may mean that I don't have a third heavy lifting session in me, but I do need to make sure I'm doing something active during this time.

+4 STR +1 STA +1 CON

Lifted three days and am starting to get my working weights back up and even see some PRs!

3. Stick to the Fat Loss Plan

I've been itching lately to do a bulk cycle, but from a fat loss perspective, I'm just not quite where I want to be yet. My diet got a little out of control during the last challenge, and I need to make sure I rein this in if I want to keep seeing results (which I do). I don't do "lose X pounds in Y time" goals, so this one is going to be about sticking to my calorie goals (generally net 2000 or so) and making healthy choices. Grading is subjective, but I'll know if I'm on track or not.

+2 CON +1 CHA

Not doing so great on keeping my calories down, although weirdly I'm losing weight faster. I think I'm getting impatient to start my strength-gain cycle and am letting that start inching my intake up now. I don't know that I feel guilty about that, though.

Life

4. Stick to the Grocery Budget

Hand in hand with the planning goal goes the grocery budget, but this is big enough for me that it requires being its own goal. Feeding 4 people healthfully (is that a word?) on one income is tough. We've made a lot of sacrifices for me to be able to stay home with the kids, and one of those is that we have a really tight budget. Grocery spending is the category with which I have the most trouble, and I find myself more often than not borrowing from other discretionary categories to make up for the fact that we've gone over on food. Bumping up the budget for this is not an option right now, so I've got to really buckle down and figure out how to live within the limits that we've set.

+3 WIS (+1 for each pay period we do not go over)

I can pretty much guarantee we're over for this pay period, although I need to run the actual numbers to verify. It might be close if you don't count the $40 for my two new tubs of protein.

Definitely ask! But remember, a lot of trainers don't really know what they're doing, either. Unless you luck out and find a great one, which is totally possible.

he's the coach for my university's olympic weightlifting club (so i hope he knows what he's doing!) -- which is why i'm scared to ask! i am not sure exactly what the deal is with the group, & i think he might be too busy with the team to show me. but he normally makes some time to chat with me (i think he likes a girl being there!) so maybe i'll ask the next time i see him.

you inspired me to try cleans with a broomstick yesterday, though! i just wrote this sad story on my own challenge thread, but basically -- i am not flexible enough to get my arms & wrists bent the right way. any suggestions on things i can do to work on that?

also, what a crazy lady! some people are so oblivious.

Oh my god! Wow, she deserves to get hit in the head. :coughnaturalselectioncough: Sheesh!

You know what's funny? My ego is absent for everything... except falling down. Seriously. I don't care if I go in and squat 50 lbs next to the dude doing 135 (with good form! gasp!), or do insane mobility and get weird looks.. but the second I wobble my ego is all screaming at me. I don't know why... stupid ego. Go away! I thought I put you in my locker.Sheesh.

Eating more and losing still? I say, eat more! Not whole hog or anything, but ya know, a decent amount :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines