• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nuala

NF character generator: Find your guild!

Looks like the newest version doesn't mention the Rebel guild, and the Adventurer guild is filling the role of the beginner guild. That aside, I really like it. Thanks so much to the OP for making it!

It looks like I am an assassin, but nearly a scout. I thought I could be an adventurer too (under the new definition), so I will have to read their threads to see where I fit for sure.

4 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Looks like the newest version doesn't mention the Rebel guild, and the Adventurer guild is filling the role of the beginner guild. That aside, I really like it. Thanks so much to the OP for making it!

It looks like I am an assassin, but nearly a scout. I thought I could be an adventurer too (under the new definition), so I will have to read their threads to see where I fit for sure.

Unfortunately the member that developed this is no longer active, so I don't see it getting updated.

Hmm, just fielding opinion, but should we pick our race using our own IRL bodies as Steve originally suggested in The Post What Begat All The Book ("Real-Life Role Playing: What is Your Profession?") - like, if you're tall and overweight, pick those from the bearded man's options? Versus choosing our race in a D&D sense - like I may not be the tallest person, but one race speaks closer to my lifestyle and/or attitudes towards obstacles and pursuits than another.

I am going with what I got - Lycan - because I can be a little werewolfy anyway. But I get super excited about less popular races I've never heard of (gnolls?!) and think about exploring that from a getting-into-character sense.  Maybe this kind of thinking falls into the larger "do you make your character like you, or like a different way-more-amazing you" conversation.

Has anyone else grappled with this dilemma?

@MicMacx Every darn character I create I run into this issue :D

The decision is ultimately in your hands to choose how you see fit; some members ignore RP and focus on just building on good habits and don't have an alter-ego besides their screen name. Others (like myself) went with how I saw myself in the mirror dimension of a fantastical world and went half-even based on how I viewed my body (Tall, lanky, hard to put on weight but I could do it)  and I am sure there are other members who wanted to stand out from the normal fantastical tropes of characters.  We are all in this together and that is what makes a world happen.

Being in your shoes, I'd ask:

What do I want from my alter-ego? (Just a name, a representation of who I am, a representation of what I want to become, some combination or something entirely different?)

How do I picture that alter-ego helping me to accomplish my goals? (If it's a representation of who I am I can level up my character because I want him stronger. If it's a representation of what I want to become each goal/level brings me one step closer to my ideal character.)

• Like 1

@Tialoredron  Ooh, those are two very different and great ways to think about it - Who I Am vs Who I Want To Become. Gives me something to think about.

I was originally going about this the Who I Am way, but I was framing it in a sense of: can I make up a story of a character who embodies my weaknesses, and train in a way that that character overcomes his baser nature through missions? For example, I tend to throw into new training plans with almost too much energy, then burn out after a few weeks. Weeks or months go by, and I start again. But the burst of energy is actually one of my strengths, it speeds me past mental barriers like procrastination, indecision, and fear. So I like the Lycan angle, because I think, werewolves turn and jump in with great force, too much force, then their energy burns out and they revert to original form, and they can't be werewolf all the time. I would focus in training on methods to become more consistently committed to my health, or in fantasy terms, I would focus on my character learning to accept and work with the werewolf inside and vice versa.

But as I notice when I build a character in a video game first-time-around, I pick a race and class that *I believe* generally aligns with default motivations and principles I will abide by in my game choices... I say I believe because subsequently I behave eccentric for the chosen race/class. For example, my ranger/scouts always immediately become proficient in close-range melee weapons, when their lines are specialized for archery. 

So maybe I should try it the other way, and think about a character I would want to embody. Hmm. I've never done that before. IRL I always thought it was an easy trap to fall into negativity, idealizing an image that is not your own.

• Like 1

To be sure, it could be a pitfall if the end-image motivation seems to never make the progress you're looking for.  Sounds like this is a new thing so it might be worth a shot.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

With your 20 seconds of courage (friggen awesome on ya!) style helping you out you can try several different approaches when one avenue fails.  Best of luck in your RP and personal endeavors! Keep trying new things until it works; and in the end, rebel!

• Like 1

Ugh, I feel so stuck...this puts me exactly equally for Scout, Assassin, and Adventurer, and when I'm thinking about the things I like to do OR my future goals, using the current guild definitions, I still end up torn between those three...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JupiterStar said:

Ugh, I feel so stuck...this puts me exactly equally for Scout, Assassin, and Adventurer, and when I'm thinking about the things I like to do OR my future goals, using the current guild definitions, I still end up torn between those three...

Why don't you just bounce around between the three based on your goals for the particular challenge? That was the intent when Steve first came up with the idea of guilds.

• Like 2

I got back to this topic, after a couple of months after I used the generator, and now I see that it's taken down. :( The old one's cached version still exists though. I know that I need to do one more 4-week challenge from the starting date in order to gain stats, but then I'm not sure what level I will be (I think 1, maybe), and when I'll get to know other info (I think after the third challenge, perhaps).