Aeryn's Push, Run, Catch Challenge

Aeryn

Second challenge, GRAAAR. I can do this!

Goals:

10 Real, proper form pushups - currently I'm doing pushups without good form after the first 3 - my hips come up way after my shoulders, and I'm starting from the floor on all of them - haven't worked out how to get deep enough without ending up lying down. This needs work! 4 STR | 1 STA

Run 5k, no stopping. Did 2 miles last challenge, so 5k is a logical next step. I hate running, so once I do this, I figure I'll have given it long enough to either decide I like running, or decide that I need to find something else I actually enjoy to replace it. 3 STA | 1 CON

Juggle 4 clubs for eight thirty catches. Juggle 3 times a week for at least 10 minutes. (Changed because of achieving the initial goal on Day 1 and the second one on Day 3.) Not sure this really counts as a fitness goal, but I'm hoping including it will inspire me to do some work on it. 3 DEX | 1 CHA

Set up my basement workshop - hang pegboard, clean and organize my tools, move the toolbench, set up shelving and wood storage. 2 WIS

I'm also continuing my no-more-than-three-Cokes-a-week rule from last challenge, since it worked pretty well. Also swimming 3 times a week because I love it. Let's go!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Wow, way to not start this six weeks well - woke up at 8:10 this morning - that's 10 minutes after I usually leave the house. Made it out in 10 minutes, though, with clothes on, hair wrangled, breakfast, lunch, and snack all prepared - yay for having prepped stuff ahead of time, though it means I'm having grapes and cheese as my snack instead of pineapple, strawberries, and canteloupe, because I hadn't cut up the fruit yet. Ah well. Redeemed myself with a productive morning and a 2,000 yard lunchtime swim, which went really well. Planning to throw clubs in the air after work, too.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Way to adapt and overcome.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

One of the best things you can do to motivate yourself to complete that 5k goal is to go ahead and sign up for a 5k race now. Find one in your area sometime during the last 2 weeks or so of this challenge. Register now and your goal becomes VERY concrete! Just a suggestion but they're also a lot of fun.

I'm also curious, how long have you been juggling? Juggling is one of those things that I learned to do (poorly) in college. I could juggle three balls/bags but never tried pins or something more complicated. When I try to juggle the balls/bags these days, it looks like I'm trying to catch hummingbirds. Sad...

I'll track your thread to see how everything goes.

Ranger Adam
STR:3 | DEX:8 | STA:7 | CON:7 | WIS:7 | CHA:3.5
My Current Challenge | MyFitnessPal

"It is very wrong for people to feel deeply sad when they lose some money, yet when they waste the precious moments of their lives, they do not have the slightest feeling of repentance." - Dalai Lama

Uhm, so I think I have to change my third goal... Because I spent half an hour working on four club this evening, and got 13 catches!!?! It was kind of ridiculously awesome, and largely based on luck, but now I need to up that goal. I'll have to figure out what's reasonable, because clearly I have no idea what I can do in 6 weeks if that only took half an hour. Whoa.

Hey, thanks for the encouragement, tanktimus. I'm going to check my alarm way more carefully now- it worked out okay today, but there are a lot of mornings I would've ended up at work without any food, or been way later.

Adamallen, thanks for the race idea- I'll have to see if there's one around here at the right time. That would definitely be motivating, though maybe a little terrifying, too!

Juggling's one of those things you never really forget how to do - with a little practice, you'd be solid again, I bet. I've been juggling for almost 17 years, though very much on-and-off during that time. There's a local club, and I've been one of the best jugglers in it until a couple new members joined, and they've inspired me to push myself a bit more - so the 4-club goal appeared. It's mainly getting myself to play outside of club meetings, because I invariably spend the whole time passing clubs with people, not working on my solo goals. Also, 4-club is the gateway to passing 8, so it'll give me even more options of things to do with other people!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Better morning today - woke up on time to meet a friend for our workout, and went ahead and did it alone when he overslept and didn't show. Squats, pushups, lunges, dips, planks, running. Whee. Forgot my yogurt, so was starving by lunchtime, but my afternoon snack made up for it - yay fruit.

Considered reasonable options for upping my 3rd goal, decided thirty catches is a good stable pattern- I'm not going to get there by luck, so it seems like a good plan- for now at least. I'll revisit after a couple weeks or if I blow past it like yesterday.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Welp, figured out what's wrong with my pushups and why I can't go low enough - my arms aren't strong enough. Duh. I'd thought I was losing the plank, so I looked up some pushup progression stuff and found an exercise where you start laying flat on the ground, tilt your hips off the ground (so you're holding yourself up on toes and chest/face, basically), and then push up. I can't. Like, laughed hysterically at myself because I'm lying there pushing as hard as I possibly can and literally cannot get off the ground. It was awesome.

So what it turns out I've been doing is pushing my shoulders up and then using my hips to lever off the ground once my arms were straighter - which means I'm not actually pushing up much of my weight at all. So here I go, back to inclines, and making sure I get full range of motion all the way down. I need to find a lower incline than my kitchen counters, though, because they're too easy. Front steps, maybe?

Level 13 Elven Assassin

For push ups you could use a sturdy kitchen chair with it pressed up against a wall so it doesn't slide and try inclines from the seat side. We have a sturdy coffee table that I can do incline or decline push ups from that works fairly well and it's a decent height. Good luck with the push ups and everything else.

In addition to starting at an angle, you could also do some dumbell presses on a bench, that works the same muscles and will help build strength for a pushup.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hi, Aeryn! I love juggling too but I've never done much of anything beyond juggling three balls. I might have to find a good set of clubs to practice with for a future goal...

Best of luck with your challenge!

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

I've run 306 miles in 2013!Current Challenge // 4th Challenge // 3rd Challenge // 2nd Challenge // 1st Challenge

Whether training or racing, a ScoutCannot wait to lace up and get outFor a ride or a run—It's rewarding and funTo set forth and explore a new route.

For push ups you could use a sturdy kitchen chair with it pressed up against a wall so it doesn't slide and try inclines from the seat side. We have a sturdy coffee table that I can do incline or decline push ups from that works fairly well and it's a decent height. Good luck with the push ups and everything else.
In addition to starting at an angle, you could also do some dumbell presses on a bench, that works the same muscles and will help build strength for a pushup.

Thanks for the ideas - I think if I shove my kitchen table out of the way, the banquette seat will be a good lower height for inclines. And I can definitely work with dumbbell presses, too!

Hi, Aeryn! I love juggling too but I've never done much of anything beyond juggling three balls. I might have to find a good set of clubs to practice with for a future goal...

Best of luck with your challenge!

Thanks - I'm having a lot of fun with the juggling goal, particularly since it seems I'm further along in my club-learning than I had suspected. Clubs are super-fun because they open the door to club passing, which I think is the best part of juggling. Just don't buy solid plastic clubs - they'll bruise the heck out of your hands and make you hate club juggling.

So yesterday I swam my 2,000 yards in the morning and came home after work and juggled... and made thirty catches with 4 clubs, and several runs of 16 to 20 catches. So despite my strong preference for testable goals (do X at the end of 6 weeks, where I can't do X now) instead of routine goals (do X a certain number of times a week, so the final accomplishment is unknown and the goal is really consistency), I'm going to have to make goal 3 into a routine goal, because I don't know what I can do in 6 weeks. While throwing 4 clubs yesterday, I had a moment where I thought "hey, 5 isn't that far away!" and that seems kind of awesome to me. So we'll see where I end up.

I ran not-quite two miles this morning, and got a major stitch in my side again - focusing on breathing seems to help, but ow, that's so not fun. Beginner bodyweight circuit after work, and I'll see how many low-incline pushups I can do.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Hey Aeryn, awesome goals. I love the juggling one, I am so challenged with that kind of stuff so it always amazes me. And kudos for the 5K as well -- I've been wanting to do one (kind of) but I am SO not a runner, and it's about to start getting very cold here in Minnesota so it seems like an odd time to start (even though I still see people pushing it through the cold).

Nice run this morning, and keep it up :)

Adventurer Level 1

"Fear of failure leads to failure"

"Dream without limits"

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED: First Challenge

Heh, Thanks Tiff - I've got a little longer before it gets really cold here, and even then, it's nothing like Minnesota! I do need to get a long-sleeved running shirt, though - my current shirts just have little cap sleeves, and my upper arms get COLD. Which feels really weird when I'm sweating at the same time.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Whew, the burpee challenge is adding all sorts of fun to my life right now- my cats are so confused. Anyway, I'm planning on doing those intermittently all day.

I had juggling club this morning and got 62 catches of 4 clubs! Plus did 13 catches of 8-club passing, which was amazing.

Did incline push-ups on a lower surface on Thursday, and definitely felt the difference, so I know where I need to keep working. Was hoping to run this morning, but grabbed an extra hour of sleep instead because it was pouring when I woke up. I'll get the run in this afternoon or tomorrow, whenever the rain quits. And now I need to go do ten more burpees and hang some pegboard in my basement. Heck yeah.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Tuesday update:

Push - still working on incline pushups, added in some negatives on Sunday and really felt it yesterday, so continued that today. Bonus of negatives is that I can do them from the ground so I don't have to try to find a bench or something when working out outdoors.

Run - Ran 2.2 miles on Sunday morning before church - first time trying to take music with me, which was a total fail - my earbuds won't stay in while running, and the cord was driving me crazy. Need to get the kind of headphones that clip over my ears or something, because that didn't work at all. Frustrating! Calves are still sore like crazy, so I only did .75 miles this morning... in the rain. Bleh.

Catch - nothing new since Saturday's awesomeness because it's been raining. Hoping it'll clear up this afternoon so I can spend some time throwing clubs.

And my basement workshop is actually coming along! I put up the pegboard on Saturday afternoon and hung a lot of my tools and various stuff up. I also put together some wire shelving for things that don't hang on pegboard, and bought shelf brackets to use for lumber storage. Packrat question - is is worth it to store 6 ft lengths of coaxial cable, or should I just toss it and buy new if I ever need it?

Level 13 Elven Assassin

I've had my frustrations with music while running, too. I've found that running the cord underneath my shirt helps, although that won't solve your earbud issue (sometimes I use the old earmuff style headphones—the ones that go outside the ears with a bar over your head). Another problem I've had is that the iPod itself jiggles around too much if I put it in my pocket, so I sometimes end up carrying it in my hand. I'll have to look for one of those straps you can use to attach it to your arm.

Nice job on the basement... you should post a picture when it's finished.

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

I've run 306 miles in 2013!Current Challenge // 4th Challenge // 3rd Challenge // 2nd Challenge // 1st Challenge

Whether training or racing, a ScoutCannot wait to lace up and get outFor a ride or a run—It's rewarding and funTo set forth and explore a new route.

I've had my frustrations with music while running, too. I've found that running the cord underneath my shirt helps, although that won't solve your earbud issue (sometimes I use the old earmuff style headphones—the ones that go outside the ears with a bar over your head). Another problem I've had is that the iPod itself jiggles around too much if I put it in my pocket, so I sometimes end up carrying it in my hand. I'll have to look for one of those straps you can use to attach it to your arm.

Nice job on the basement... you should post a picture when it's finished.

Hadn't thought about running the cord inside my shirt - and I found an old pair of headphones that are the earmuff kind with a band that goes behind your neck and over your ears, so I'll try those next time. I'm definitely going to buy an armband, too.

I'll post a finished picture of the workshop when I'm done, though it's still a basement, so it's not lovely.

Anyway, today is Thursday! Which is almost Friday, and therefore almost the weekend, so is totally a happy day. Swam a 2,000 yesterday, and, inspired by the sprinting challenge, did it in sets of 50 yard sprints and 100 recovery. Hard, but effective, since my final 100 for time was 1:30, which is significantly faster than usual. May have to incorporate sprinting more, though it takes a lot of mental focus keeping track - usually I just keep swimming.

Did bodyweight workout and interval sprints this morning - pushups still suck, but I have some sense that I'm getting stronger. I'm definitely getting better at running, though - even my jog isn't as ridiculously slow as it once was, and a friend commented that he could tell I've been putting work in, which made me feel AWESOME.

Oh, juggled some yesterday. My backyard is infested with mosquitos, which meant I didn't stay out as long as I wanted, but I got some solid runs with 4-club, best was 42 catches. 3 new mosquito bites this morning.

I appear to be losing weight, too - I need to buy new jeans because all of mine are too loose, and my winter work pants all require belts to stay up. Argh, I hate shopping.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Nice work, Aeryn. Keep it up. I'm no fan of shopping either, although I'll admit it can be fun when you're doing it because you lost a bunch of weight!

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

SO I'm having a random feminist body image crisis. Like, I've always thought that basing your self-worth on your physical size is ridiculous, and that our culture's unrealistic beauty standards are unfair and actively detrimental to women. BUT. I bought a pair of jeans last night. Size six jeans. And there's a little section of my brain that's running around going HOLY CRAP I'M WEARING SIZE SIX HOW AWESOME IS THAT? And none of my goals, this challenge or last, are about losing weight - that's not what I'm here for. I want to be able to crank out ten pushups, I want to be able to run a 5k, someday I want to do a pullup. But right now - size six jeans are making me happy, and if I go around telling my real-life friends that, I feel like I'm buying in to the culture of skinny-as-beautiful thing that I hate. So I'm posting it here, instead, I guess. YAY.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Thanks, Wook - I'm coming to terms with being happy with my own progress and just enjoying it!

I'm having a really good day - woke up on time, am wearing my new jeans, went swimming at lunchtime and beat my PR for the 100 free (1:25! Hey, turns out practicing sprinting intervals makes you better at it, versus just swimming for endurance and randomly hoping that'll make your 100 faster. Who'dathunk?). Yesterday's pushups felt stronger than before, so I think I need to move down to a lower surface - did 15x3 on my desk, next surface is the banquette, I think. Juggled last night and got several solid runs, though the 62 from last weekend is still my best. Also found some bug spray that kept the mosquitoes from biting me, so even that was good. And I'm going to a juggling festival tomorrow! So fun.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Thats awesome that you are losing weight even incidentally. Our society's beauty standards are pretty cruel at times, but as long as you are doing it for yourself and not for other people then I don't think that means you are buying into society's message or anything.

Zeuel the level 1 Human
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 2|STA 1|WIS 1|CHA 3

Well, feminism is and isn't about size. Not to diminish your accomplishment in having a whole 'nother two feet of options in every thrift store within driving distance, but you're going to have to lose another hundred pounds to make the fashion industry willing to even look at you. A size six can only get one pair of jeans from a length of cloth were a size zero or less could get two.

You're doing good for who you are, or at least I hope you're still somewhat the size that nature intended. Look at parkour videos, do you have the body-type that can do that? Maybe you're more the type that can push a small car out of the traffic lanes. Rejecting your body because your healthy mode happens to match an ideal is no better than trying to fit an ideal.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Ahaha, if I lost a hundred pounds I would weigh less than my six-year-old nephew. I'm never going to be a size zero, my bones aren't built that way (I'm 5'10" and 147 pounds, right now). I do think parkour could be possible - I've been looking hard at the Assassins guild, but I also know I need way more upper body strength to be able to climb up walls and such (first pull-up, then someday muscle-up, right?) We'll see where that ends up.

Today's juggling festival was amazing, though I have nearly no voice left after talking to people in a loud gym all day. Did a 9-person, 31 club pattern, learned some new tricks, and now I absolutely need to go to sleep.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Tuesday! Cold and wet here this morning, so I ditched the run from my morning workout... and am now feeling like that wasn't a great idea, so I may add it back in when I get home from work. Did the beginner bodyweight circuit, and did goblet squats for 10 of the last set just for curiosity's sake. I think hip and ankle mobility are both influencing my squat form, so I may need to go do some research on how to help that out more - MWOD has a lot of things I haven't had time to investigate. For pushups I did 3 or 4 on the banquette seat ('til I couldn't hold form) and switched up to the desk to finish out the set of 15 each time. I'm up to 10 reps at 30 lbs for rows, too.

Swam yesterday, and repeated my 1:25 100 free. Thinking I may need to add a swimming goal next challenge, but there are so many things I want to work on!

I also put up shelves in the workshop space for lumber - now I need to clean up my piles of wood and stack them.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines