Max Power: Trial by Fire

Max Power

When last we saw our hero he was walking with the triumphant swagger of a man who had just conquered another challenge (or the swagger of a really doushey guy, hard to say.) But all was not well in the tri-county area. As young master Maxwell worked through another set of deadlifts a villainous shadow stabbed a pin into the lower back of a voodoo doll, in an attempt to cripple our hero! But not ever their dark magics could keep our resilient hero down for long. But who is this fiend that strikes from a distance? Will Max Power be able to find them? Will anyone catch the obscure references in his challenge titles?! Only time will tell (probably about six weeks)

Goal #1: Grow stronger! Add 50# total to my Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OHP! Whoever this shadowy figure is I'll need to be stronger to stop him, if I ever find him! (+3 STR)

Goal #2: I don't know how to catch shadows, so I'm going to need to learn some new tricks. Two days a week I will do something new in the exercise world! (Bulgarian bag, kettle bells, tabatas, sprint intervals) (+1 STR, +1 STA, +1 CON)

Goal #3: Disciline - It's hard to fight the unknown, especially when you aren't paying attention. To teach myself discipline I will plan my meals and buy the food for said meals once every week! I will also be attempting the Whole30 during October, but I know I have a job on the road coming up next month and I don't know if it will be possible to complete the Whole30 during that time. (+4 CON, +1 WIS)

Goal #4: You can't find what you can't see, so I've got to clean this place up if I'm going to find this bad mother-shut yo mouth! So I'm going to save the environment! I will come up with six new ways (one per week) to be enviornmentally responsible and see if I can implement them in my daily life. (+2 WIS, +1 CHA)

Week #1: Get rid of these damn grocery bags, before they get rid of me.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

You can recycle those grocery bags at some grocery stores, if you want to do that. Pretty easy to dump them in one load. I re-use grocery bags at least once at Aldi's (where you have to buy bags). But one or two extra uses they're pretty much done. I also use the plastic bags as trash bags for my small bathroom trash cans. I'm sure you've thought of all of this.

Yay for the food prep/planning goal! Blueberries also has the same goal. We'll have to keep each other accountable!

When you talk of the dark shadow, I think of Dexter's "dark passenger."

Good luck! This challenge better surrender now, because defeat is coming its way!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Awesome goals!

I also reuse plastic grocery bags as small can trash bags and to carry my lunch in until they fall apart. We also have reusable canvas bags that we keep in the car so we don't acquire too many new plastic bags, though sometimes we have more food than canvas can carry.

You can recycle those grocery bags at some grocery stores, if you want to do that. Pretty easy to dump them in one load. I re-use grocery bags at least once at Aldi's (where you have to buy bags). But one or two extra uses they're pretty much done. I also use the plastic bags as trash bags for my small bathroom trash cans. I'm sure you've thought of all of this.

Yay for the food prep/planning goal! Blueberries also has the same goal. We'll have to keep each other accountable!

When you talk of the dark shadow, I think of Dexter's "dark passenger."

Good luck! This challenge better surrender now, because defeat is coming its way!

Thanks! I know the local Kroger takes bags, so I will probably carry most of them there, but I do use them for bathroom trash bags and to bring my food to lunch in others.

Awesome goals! Hope you catch this fiendish... fiend!

Thank you sir! I plan on taking him down a notch!

Awesome goals!

I also reuse plastic grocery bags as small can trash bags and to carry my lunch in until they fall apart. We also have reusable canvas bags that we keep in the car so we don't acquire too many new plastic bags, though sometimes we have more food than canvas can carry.

Thanks! There is just something I loathe about the idea of using canvas bags for groceries, but really I should probably start doing that. Any overflow from that could be used for food or garbage bags.

Whole30 during football season!? You are a tougher man than I. Awesome goals man, looking forward to following your progress.

Hmm, football... I might not have thought this through... Thanks for the support!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Trial by fire? Sh*t just got real.

Great goals! Super fantastically awesome, in fact! I love it! I can't wait to see what kind of awesome things you do w/ the fitness and environmental stuff. I've battled the wicked war of grocery bags myself. I know you can do it!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Meal planning, ftw! I love that you're planning to shake it up on the workout front, also. I left some wiggle room in my workout schedule so that I can try to do some of the same if I want to.

Whole30 during football season!? You are a tougher man than I. Awesome goals man, looking forward to following your progress.

That is an excellent point. Now I'm a little sad for you.... haha. :)

50 pounds should be no big deal for you. Cant wait for the downfall of this mystery shadow

Thanks! I've questioned that weight goal a little bit, I'll see how my weights are moving after three weeks and move my goal if necessary. But with my back all twinged up from last Friday's DL I'll be taking it easy for a bit while it recovers.

Trial by fire? Sh*t just got real.

Great goals! Super fantastically awesome, in fact! I love it! I can't wait to see what kind of awesome things you do w/ the fitness and environmental stuff. I've battled the wicked war of grocery bags myself. I know you can do it!

I'm usually on the anti-environmental front, one of my teachers in undergrad pointed out that if we cut down all the trees, that means more rocks for us geologists to look at! But I figure since I'm working for an environmental remediation group I should start doing my part too.

Meal planning, ftw! I love that you're planning to shake it up on the workout front, also. I left some wiggle room in my workout schedule so that I can try to do some of the same if I want to.

That is an excellent point. Now I'm a little sad for you.... haha. :)

Yes, we will meal plan like the bosses that we are! And yeah, I didn't really want to keep harping on old goals (walk more, stretch more etc...) and I couldn't really decide what to do for my second fitness goal, so I just decided to do them all.

I've started drinking more water the past couple of weeks up to a gallon + a day, and I kind of feel like the first chinese brother some days.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5477[/ATTACH]

Oh man. Flashback with the Five Chinese Brothers!! Dang! I had a moment.

Also, are you going to do Tabatas somewhere specific? Have you ever used a clock? I used this clock back when I created my own Tabatas, and I actually really liked it. I was surprised I couldn't (at the time) find an app that did it. Plus, I just took my laptop into my workout room, so that made this work well for me. Anyway, here's to water. I need to get more!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Oh man. Flashback with the Five Chinese Brothers!! Dang! I had a moment.

Also, are you going to do Tabatas somewhere specific? Have you ever used a clock? I used this clock back when I created my own Tabatas, and I actually really liked it. I was surprised I couldn't (at the time) find an app that did it. Plus, I just took my laptop into my workout room, so that made this work well for me. Anyway, here's to water. I need to get more!

Thanks for that, I will probably be doing my tabatas in my living room, so this timer will be a big help. I don't know what I'm going to do yet, maybe pushups for a few rounds/minutes, then squats, and maybe rows (if I'm not dead yet).

Super goals.

Look forward to hearing about which of your new exercises you enjoy most.

Thanks! If I can find a nice big tire for flipping, I think that or sledgehammer work would definitely be my favorite. And I know I like the bulgarian bag stuff, but I've never gotten into a good routine of what I like to do with it.

No workouts yet this week, I'm still letting my back rest since I tweaked it last friday. I may do some light something this evening, but I will be back in the gym tomorrow morning. I probably won't deadlift any this week though. I've still got to finish planning the meals for the week, I've got a chicken in the slow cooker right now, so I know a couple of days are knocked out right there.

Thanks for that, I will probably be doing my tabatas in my living room, so this timer will be a big help. I don't know what I'm going to do yet, maybe pushups for a few rounds/minutes, then squats, and maybe rows (if I'm not dead yet).

Might I suggest burpees? I hate them, but I can do them for 20 seconds. I also do planks, but my plank time is pretty crappy, so 20 seconds is still a challenge for me. Another favorite for me is jump kicks, but only because it makes me feel like a ninja. :)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Might I suggest burpees? I hate them, but I can do them for 20 seconds. I also do planks, but my plank time is pretty crappy, so 20 seconds is still a challenge for me. Another favorite for me is jump kicks, but only because it makes me feel like a ninja. :)

You might suggest burpees, but I might scoff at your suggestion. Then again I might do them anyway, because this is all about trying new things, even if those new things are old things, and I happen to hate those old things. But you don't get stronger by doing the easy comfortable things! Thanks for the pep talk Kelly!

Have we discussed tabata THRUSTERS yet? I feel like I've seen that but then blocked it out because thrusters are traumatic but you should still do them. Because you are less easily traumatized, I think.

Hmm..have you played the card game? That could be a fun little exercise for you. Get deck of cards. Assign exercise to each ____ <--the word is escaping me.. type of card.. you know, hearts, clubs.. what the hell do you call it? .... ok, anyhow, assign, then do however many the card says. (ex: burpees=hearts. 3 of hearts= 3 burpees). Then see how fast you can move through the deck in 20 minutes.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Have we discussed tabata THRUSTERS yet? I feel like I've seen that but then blocked it out because thrusters are traumatic but you should still do them. Because you are less easily traumatized, I think.

Hmm..have you played the card game? That could be a fun little exercise for you. Get deck of cards. Assign exercise to each ____ <--the word is escaping me.. type of card.. you know, hearts, clubs.. what the hell do you call it? .... ok, anyhow, assign, then do however many the card says. (ex: burpees=hearts. 3 of hearts= 3 burpees). Then see how fast you can move through the deck in 20 minutes.

That card game plan sounds awesome, I will be trying that one. Thanks!

I went back to the gym this morning, but my back is still a little wonky, so I took it easy. In fact it looked a little like this...

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)

135 lb x 8 reps (+75 pts)

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

285 lb x 4 reps (+165 pts)

265 lb x 3 reps (+127 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:

135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)

175 lb x 5 reps (+86 pts)

205 lb x 2 reps (+71 pts)

210 lb x 1 reps (+60 pts)

Farmer's Walk:

150' 0" || 70 lb (+43 pts)

150' 0" || 80 lb (+51 pts)

150' 0" || 80 lb (+51 pts)

I could tell my back was getting a little tender doing the squats, so I backed off and ended them a little early. My bench went well other than my right shoulder being tight. I think I could have done 185lbs again if it had been feeling good. I skipped my rows altogether, didn't want to stress the back, farmer's walks were good though, I need to do them more often.

I think I had a little bit of a bug last night, had a headache all evening and my stomach was rolling so I didn't do anything extra. I felt fine when my alarm went off this morning though (although I may have fallen back to sleep for another 40 minutes oops)

I've got my meals planned out through tomorrow night, I was kind of waiting to see what I had leftover at that point, if it looks like I'm running out I'm going to throw a pork loin in the slow cooker. The more I do this, the more I'll know what will be left at a certain point so that I can plan farther out.

Anywho, that's all I've got for the morning.

Nice work, Max. Seems like a little bug has been going around.

THANK YOU! Hahahaha, Caution, I could not think of it for the LIFE of me. And it was driving me guano. I hate when that happens!

Deck of cards workout is pretty awesome. I've seen it pretty much as a bodyweight workout, though I've done it with kettlebell/DB swings as an exercise for one of the suits and thought about doing different DB swings (single arm left, single arm right, alternating arms, both arms with a heavier DB) for a all DB swing workout when jdanger was talking about that 1000 swings a day thing because if you make the Aces and Jokers be high numbers (~15) you could get 450+ swings by going through the entire deck.

Confucious says that a 250 lb man should not do burpees in his second floor apartment.

That cat was just full of wisdom. I only cracked out 30 yesterday, I plan on doing many more today, but no more in my apartment. My neighbors would hate me haha!

Back in the gym this morning, my back is still wonky when I put weight on my squats, so I may have to cut them out for a few days, or just stay under 225. I did bump my OHP max up to 135 lbs this morning though, so boom. That's kind of been a goal of mine, just so I could put two 45's on the bar, I may have done a little snoopy dance afterwards... But I ended the lifting sesison there, cause you know... Burpees.

Here is the workout proper.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 10 reps (+58 pts)

95 lb x 7 reps (+76 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

115 lb x 4 reps (+72 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

125 lb x 3 reps (+68 pts)

135 lb x 2 reps (+61 pts)

Barbell Squat:

135 lb x 8 reps (+75 pts)

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

275 lb x 1 reps (+93 pts)

Other than that, I'm looking forward to a free, burpee filled, weekend, it's the first one in a while (and the last for a few weeks too). So have a good one folks!

Haha! I thought when you lived in a an apartment the goal was to try to annoy your neighbors? That's not a rule? Maybe this is only a rule in Kansas? ;)

Also, good luck healing your back. Wonky backs aren't good!

Yeah, I have this problem that I'm a nice guy, and don't like to bother people, so I tend to keep a low key. It's a curse really.

Thanks, I'm hoping a weekend filled with rest and relaxation will help me back! (10,000 burpees, maybe not)

HAHAHAHA snoopy dance!!!!

I've been wanting to put those 45's in the air a long time!

I just told my girlfriend that I would need to borrow her floors tonight. Let the burpees begin... again...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines