Max Power: Trial by Fire

Max Power

Week 2 Recap:

Goal 1: Add 50 lbs

Squat 285 -> problems... I'll explain later

DL 335 -> 295 (I think this lift will recover pretty quickly

OHP 115-> 120 (those numbers are the same, I did up my new 1RM though)

Bench 180 -> 190 (Looks like I might break 200 soon)

To qualify I have to do the lift for a 1X5, I never pointed that out.

Goal 2: Do New Stuff

I cracked out some kettlebell swings last week. That was the only new one though, so 1 of 2.

Goal 3: Meal Planning

I didn't like the week long meal plan that I came up with for week one, it was too structured. So I went back and just made a list of meals, and bought the stuff for said meals. That way each night I had an option instead of having what I thought sounded good five days before. I like this way better.

Goal 4: Save the Environment!

Week #1: Responsibly dispose of the grocery bags! Mission "Accomplished" The quotation marks are there because I haven't been back to the grocery store since I figured out to drop them off there. I do however have them all bagged up and ready to be hauled off at a moments notice. I don't see any point in doing this every week, but monthly seems like a workable amount.

Week #2: Learn to recycle, like the wind! Mission Accomplished! This worked well, and I should be able to do it on a weekly basis.

Week #3: Save the Power! (no relation) Originally I was going to focus on keeping lights off and turning them off when I leave the room, but then I realized that I don't really turn lights on that much, and when I do, they don't stay on long. So, I'm going to focus on unplugging things and turning other things off. My main focus is going to be phone chargers, speakers/radios, computers. I'll leave my DVR and my coffee maker plugged in though, I'm not going crazy here.

Mondays workout was strange, my DL went well, I was a little weaker, but I hadn't hit it hard in a few weeks, so that is to be expected. my OHP went fine, but my Squat is having issues. I can still lift my working weight from a few weeks ago, but only for a rep or two, and my legs don't really cooperate, one will favor over the other as I'm coming up. So I'm going to reset to doing 5X5 @ 225 lbs and start moving up and see if that helps.

Other than that everything seems to be going well here in Max Power land.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Squats! Y U no play nice with Max Power?!

My guess: food changes are messing with you. But stay strong! Your plan sounds like a good one. Squat on, friend. Squat on.

Good job on week 2! Adapting and noting what works and what doesn't is excellent.

Your current life goal brings joy to my heart. One of my major pet peeves is leaving stuff plugged in. I'm a phone charger nazi. so YAY!

Oh! ETA... this week's mini challenge is jump roping! How does that fit with goal #2?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Squats! Y U no play nice with Max Power?!

My guess: food changes are messing with you. But stay strong! Your plan sounds like a good one. Squat on, friend. Squat on.

Good job on week 2! Adapting and noting what works and what doesn't is excellent.

Your current life goal brings joy to my heart. One of my major pet peeves is leaving stuff plugged in. I'm a phone charger nazi. so YAY!

Oh! ETA... this week's mini challenge is jump roping! How does that fit with goal #2?

I think it probably is food stuff, I was just able to power through with my lifts before, whereas I'm running out of steam fast right now. It's probably also a sleep thing, I don't get nearly enough these days. I had a very minor cheat on my Whole 30 Sunday at my parents house. I ate some butter beans with my dinner!!! Woe is me! But I'm gonna keep going with the whole30 for the rest of the month.

I haven't jumped rope in eight years or so, so I think that qualifies for new stuff. I will have to go buy one though.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Haven't you been backing off of squats a bit because of your "wonky" back? That could be affecting you, too, I bet. I tend to keep my lifts only if I keep doing them and moving forward. Once I back off, I lose the strength and really struggle. If that's the case, it's worth not injuring your back more, right?

I'm terrible at leaving stuff plugged in. Having a house all to myself isn't very efficient overall, but mostly because every single plug in is mine, I tend to use and abuse. I try to unplug, but then I lose the stupid chargers. Get more responsible, Kelly! I am good at keeping lights off, though. And I rarely leave TVs or radios or anything on if I'm not using them. (Mostly that's because I like quiet, though.)

Hope you had a good visit home! And viva la jump rope!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

^That is the biggest benefit of these challenges, IMO. Your goals don't always work out the way you think they're going to, but by adjusting to what works, you end up with a better system.

Good job on Week 2!

Maybe take a week off and wrestle bears instead? You know, a little light work to keep you loose, but nothing strenuous. :)

I am in awe of your squats. Agree with Laura, Squat on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Ok, issue one. I have reintroduced dairy into my diet, so I'm doing "kinda" Whole30 now haha! But with the dairy, I can add my whey protein back in, plus cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc. So more protein there, and I've been feeling better too, so we'll see how that goes.

I didn't work out Wednesday, I stayed with the gf as she was about to head out on a ten day vacation, so a little extra recovery time from Monday. I did hit the gym up this morning.

Here's today's workout.

Barbell Deadlift:

135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

295 lb x 5 reps (+194 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 8 reps (+56 pts)

95 lb x 3 reps (+55 pts)

115 lb x 3 reps (+63 pts)

125 lb x 3 reps (+68 pts)

125 lb x 3 reps (+68 pts)

115 lb x 2 reps (+53 pts)

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 8 reps (+40 pts)

Nothing spectacular, I promised myself I wouldn't go heavy with the DL, so I'll be able to rock out some jumpropin' tomorrow. And as it turns out, I really suck at jump rope... So don't expect "The weekend of 10,000 rope jumps!"

As for right now, I have to go look at a broke down truck for work... Be back soon warriors.

Glad the dairy made you feel better! It's all about experimentation :)

Keep being awesome!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Adding dairy? I approve. Skipping a workout for GF time before a vacation? I approve. Not having a weekend of 10,000 jumps? I approve, because that shit's cray.

tumblr_lqne0mjgci1qh17feo1_500.gif

Yeah, seriously, I jump rope like a kindergartner.

If you're feeling better, adding dairy was the right call.

Good workout!

Thanks, it wasn't even that I felt bad as much as just off, plus this Whole30 is stressful!, definitely the opposite of how eating should be.

Well the truck is fixed, so back to more workout talk. Since I am dropping my squat weights back down, I'm going to the complete bottom of my squat again, I had kind of gotten to where I would just go barely past parallel, so more A to G for me. And I should probably throw more mobility in there too.

Well the truck is fixed, so back to more workout talk. Since I am dropping my squat weights back down, I'm going to the complete bottom of my squat again, I had kind of gotten to where I would just go barely past parallel, so more A to G for me. And I should probably throw more mobility in there too.

That's what I've been doing, too! It's kind of nice. Especially since I remember times at this weight feeling like I couldn't go all the way down. Now it's easy! Well, I mean, easier. Not like it's like laying on a couch watching Friends.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Yeah, seriously, I jump rope like a kindergartner.

Thanks, it wasn't even that I felt bad as much as just off, plus this Whole30 is stressful!, definitely the opposite of how eating should be.

When I boxed, we used to warm up by jumping rope in front of mirrors. It was pretty awkward at first. And it was great every time a new person came because they all had the same look on their faces (wtf, when did jump rope get hard?) hahahahahahahhahaha so yeah, we all looked like kindergartners. It was awesome.

You're basically a super smart dude. I approve.

When I boxed, we used to warm up by jumping rope in front of mirrors. It was pretty awkward at first. And it was great every time a new person came because they all had the same look on their faces (wtf, when did jump rope get hard?) hahahahahahahhahaha so yeah, we all looked like kindergartners. It was awesome.

Jumping in front of a mirror sounds like torture. I'd definitely be more uncomfortable, especially in a group. I like to focus on something in front of me (like I do when I lift) and then zone out once I get going. It would be hard to do that in a mirror of moving things. But my lack of coordination is on the highest end of the scale!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

That's what I've been doing, too! It's kind of nice. Especially since I remember times at this weight feeling like I couldn't go all the way down. Now it's easy! Well, I mean, easier. Not like it's like laying on a couch watching Friends.

Bout time somebody else noticed...

I used to jump rope a lot as part of my warmup, but that was like 8 years ago, and I wasn't very speedy then. We'll see what really happens come tomorrow though.

Jumping in front of a mirror sounds like torture. I'd definitely be more uncomfortable, especially in a group. I like to focus on something in front of me (like I do when I lift) and then zone out once I get going. It would be hard to do that in a mirror of moving things. But my lack of coordination is on the highest end of the scale!

Coordination isn't really my problem, I'm just more comfortable with my feet on the ground. I don't think I'd like the mirror or a group with my jump ropin' abilities either.

And, because I can't figure out anywhere else to use it...

tumblr_ma7864840D1r5g67po1_500.gif

Like I said, this was not "the weekend of 10,000 rope jumps" it was just....

"The Weekend of 10,000 Rope Jumps (give or take 8,000)"

I jumped a lot of rope this morning, I still suck at it, but the numbers do add up fast. Below is my tally sheet. I managed 2048 in about two hours. (the 4th column is added wrong, it's actually 430)

8083374280_fd7577dcf2_c.jpg

And here is a video of said rope jumpin' abilities. If the world looks a little desolate around me, it is because I'm at the office on a Saturday, that back lot is very handy!

Ha! Best friend's gif yet.

It's telling me your video is private so I cannot see your mad skillz. But I did get a shot of the LBEB shirt. Woot!

Nice totals!

Ha! Best friend's gif yet.

It's telling me your video is private so I cannot see your mad skillz. But I did get a shot of the LBEB shirt. Woot!

Nice totals!

Fixed it!

Ha!! That's awesome! Your beard is fantastic, btw.

Thank you ma'am! I just got a haircut an hour or so before the video, so the beard was really popping that morning.

Week 3 Roundup!

Goal #1: Grow stronger! Add 50# total to my Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OHP! Whoever this shadowy figure is I'll need to be stronger to stop him, if I ever find him! (+3 STR)

This goal is going to come down to the wire, my bench and OHP are the only lifts that have moved up, my back is feeling better all the time though, and my squats were much nicer today, so maybe that is the big factor in what is throwing them off (on top of the eating).

Goal #2: I don't know how to catch shadows, so I'm going to need to learn some new tricks. Two days a week I will do something new in the exercise world! (Bulgarian bag, kettle bells, tabatas, sprint intervals) (+1 STR, +1 STA, +1 CON)

I did all of the jump ropes and some kettlebell snatches saturday, so Week 3 is good!

Goal #3: Disciline - It's hard to fight the unknown, especially when you aren't paying attention. To teach myself discipline I will plan my meals and buy the food for said meals once every week! I will also be attempting the Whole30 during October, but I know I have a job on the road coming up next month and I don't know if it will be possible to complete the Whole30 during that time. (+4 CON, +1 WIS)

I didn't plan very well at all last week, and I had a rough weekend, so this was a big fail for week 3.

Goal #4: You can't find what you can't see, so I've got to clean this place up if I'm going to find this bad mother-shut yo mouth! So I'm going to save the environment! I will come up with six new ways (one per week) to be enviornmentally responsible and see if I can implement them in my daily life. (+2 WIS, +1 CHA)

Week #1: Responsibly dispose of the grocery bags! Mission "Accomplished"

Week #2: Learn to recycle, like the wind! Mission Accomplished!

Week #3: Save the Power! (no relation) I did pretty well at this, I unplugged both chargers (personal and work phone) almost every day, I did unplug the random radios and speakers around my apartment daily (I like music a lot) and I unplugged my laptop most of the time. It wasn't perfect, but it is a big improvement, so I'm going to say Mission Accomplished, with some polishing to do.

Week #4: ??? I haven't come up with anything that I can do this week, so I will reach out to my fellow warriors, which is handy considering this week's mini-challenge. So give me ideas .gif"]green warriors!

So my calves and obliques (randomly) are ridiculously sore after Saturday's marathon jump rope session. I'm just kind of gliding over the floor more than walking ha! And I had a pretty high caliber hang over yesterday after Saturday night's big game, so I'm sure that didn't help my recovery at all. Oh yeah and today's workout.

Barbell Bench Press:

45 lb x 11 reps (+43 pts)

155 lb x 5 reps (+75 pts)

165 lb x 5 reps (+80 pts)

175 lb x 5 reps (+86 pts)

180 lb x 4 reps (+81 pts)

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)

245 lb x 5 reps (+138 pts)

265 lb x 4 reps (+144 pts)

Pendlay Row:

45 lb x 10 reps (+31 pts)

135 lb x 8 reps (+56 pts)

185 lb x 4 reps (+63 pts)

165 lb x 5 reps (+60 pts)

165 lb x 5 reps (+60 pts)

And I'm out!

I agree, your beard is freakin' awesome! Nice work on the jump ropes!

Here are a few "green" things I've been doing, although they're multi-functional. I opted out of credit card offers, which cut back significantly (although not completely) on junk mail. It's nice b/c it's harder for real mail to get lost in the mess, plus, less wasted paper.

I also have been working to replace my bulbs with CFL bulbs. The outdoor ones are easy since they last a lot longer. Some of the bulbs take awhile to light up or give a weird fluorescenty light, which I don't love in bedrooms. But for rooms like laundry rooms, closets, outdoor lighting, garages, basements, etc., I've found I really like them. Plus, the outdoor ones are awesome. At my old house i felt like I was changing bulbs all the time. The CFL ones last years. Win! Plus, for higher up bulbs, it's worth the lighting being a little off. I've found afer a few minutes, they look normal.

My sister switched from over-using paper towels to using white towels she bleaches. So I've been trying to do that, too. Kitchen dish rags gross me out a little, but if I wash them separately with bleach, it's not so bad. I just change them out regularly.

And not sure if this would count, but I got sick of buying cleaners like 409, and have switched completely to an aproximately 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water. I still buy bleach cleaner for things like raw meat or other contaminants. But I don't even miss the old cleaners I thought I coudn't live without. I THINK this switch is considered environmentally friendly. I did it more to save cost and trips to the store.

And maybe somehow flossing helps?

tumblr_ludbbbelSj1qh17feo1_500.gif

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines