Max Power: Trial by Fire

Max Power

You obviously need to submit a photo to LBEB's Beards and Barbells album (btw, my new favorite album).

Kelly's ideas are awesome! I hate how much paper towel crap I go through. And opting out is a good call. You can also make sure all your bills are paperless. I've done that.

Walking anywhere you can is good. You can also see if there's anyway to carpool with someone (that gets tricky, but it's an idea).

And speaking of floss: you can invest in a water pick instead of using traditional floss. Saves on all that stuff to throw away and saves money. Not sure of it's affect on water usage/conservation, though...

Lastly, look through your clothes and get rid of anything you don't use anymore. You can refurbish it for some other use or donate them. For donations, look at places other htan local goodwill or salvation army stores. While they're both great there are probably lesser known places that get less donations but need them just as bad. Here, I donate to a thrift store whose proceeds go to a no kill animal shelter. Also, women's domestic abuse shelters (as a woman, ya know, I have clothing for women), so on and so forth.

And, just kidding this is now lastly: make your own laundry detergent. I've done it before. It made 10 gallons and lasted a long time. Works great on every day clothing. I found it did not work well on stanky workout clothes. So, you may want to keep a small thing of detergent for those. Anyhow, it'll cut down a lot on how much you're buying and such.

Okay, that's it.

Keeping bringing the thunda.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I agree, your beard is freakin' awesome! Nice work on the jump ropes!

Here are a few "green" things I've been doing, although they're multi-functional. I opted out of credit card offers, which cut back significantly (although not completely) on junk mail. It's nice b/c it's harder for real mail to get lost in the mess, plus, less wasted paper.

I also have been working to replace my bulbs with CFL bulbs. The outdoor ones are easy since they last a lot longer. Some of the bulbs take awhile to light up or give a weird fluorescenty light, which I don't love in bedrooms. But for rooms like laundry rooms, closets, outdoor lighting, garages, basements, etc., I've found I really like them. Plus, the outdoor ones are awesome. At my old house i felt like I was changing bulbs all the time. The CFL ones last years. Win! Plus, for higher up bulbs, it's worth the lighting being a little off. I've found afer a few minutes, they look normal.

My sister switched from over-using paper towels to using white towels she bleaches. So I've been trying to do that, too. Kitchen dish rags gross me out a little, but if I wash them separately with bleach, it's not so bad. I just change them out regularly.

And not sure if this would count, but I got sick of buying cleaners like 409, and have switched completely to an aproximately 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water. I still buy bleach cleaner for things like raw meat or other contaminants. But I don't even miss the old cleaners I thought I coudn't live without. I THINK this switch is considered environmentally friendly. I did it more to save cost and trips to the store.

And maybe somehow flossing helps?

tumblr_ludbbbelSj1qh17feo1_500.gif

I think I've already opted out of CC stuff, and the bulb thing is something I'm going to do as soon as I run out of my current bulbs. The paper towel thing is something I've tried to phase out, but my kitchen towels kind of suck and don't really soak up anything. I keep thinking they'll break in better, but they never do.

And LBEB crew just announced via their facebook page that they are going to be in Mississippi for the NAS Nationals next month, I may have to ride up and see these cats in action! I'm gonna wear my LB or die trying shirt too (and may have said as much in a comment on that page ha)

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

You obviously need to submit a photo to LBEB's Beards and Barbells album (btw, my new favorite album).

Kelly's ideas are awesome! I hate how much paper towel crap I go through. And opting out is a good call. You can also make sure all your bills are paperless. I've done that.

Walking anywhere you can is good. You can also see if there's anyway to carpool with someone (that gets tricky, but it's an idea).

And speaking of floss: you can invest in a water pick instead of using traditional floss. Saves on all that stuff to throw away and saves money. Not sure of it's affect on water usage/conservation, though...

Lastly, look through your clothes and get rid of anything you don't use anymore. You can refurbish it for some other use or donate them. For donations, look at places other htan local goodwill or salvation army stores. While they're both great there are probably lesser known places that get less donations but need them just as bad. Here, I donate to a thrift store whose proceeds go to a no kill animal shelter. Also, women's domestic abuse shelters (as a woman, ya know, I have clothing for women), so on and so forth.

And, just kidding this is now lastly: make your own laundry detergent. I've done it before. It made 10 gallons and lasted a long time. Works great on every day clothing. I found it did not work well on stanky workout clothes. So, you may want to keep a small thing of detergent for those. Anyhow, it'll cut down a lot on how much you're buying and such.

Okay, that's it.

Keeping bringing the thunda.

Good stuff, I haven't thought about making my own detergent, I may have to look that up. As far as walking places go, I live a little far out from anywhere, and since there are only four people in my office carpooling is out, we actually all kind of live as far from each other as possible (some of us with good reason). And just last week I loaded up a basket of all my clothes that are too big for me now, I'm going to carry that to donate somewhere, haven't figured out where yet.

I've noticed a couple of chiropracters close to me that I'm going to investigate, I may need a realignment soon. Thanks for the info on that too.

And lastly, I've got a brand new box of thunda that I'm carrying everywhere I go.

how about washing your clothes in cold water only? that's a pretty easy one, if you don't do it already.

I've got one of those supposedly energy efficient washers, but I wash with cold water anyway, more as a safeguard for colors, and to keep my new clothes from shrinking too much. Thanks though!

Oh and on a side note, I took off yesterday afternoon to run errands, and one of those errands turned out to be buying bumper plates!!! I bought a couple of 25 pounders to start practicing olympic lifts, and to be able to drop the bar in an awesome fashion.

Sherlock will be thrilled!

tumblr_mby2psG0Zb1rh8jtbo1_250.gif

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Yay for bumper plates!!

tumblr_ly5uejqqIl1qh17feo1_500.gif

(except replace the pashmina with bumpers)

Ooh! ooh! I saw this one earlier and I wanted to use it for something. Totally fits here:

ross-jump-o.gif

Bumper plates!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

As far as walking places go, I live a little far out from anywhere, and since there are only four people in my office carpooling is out, we actually all kind of live as far from each other as possible (some of us with good reason).

what about keeping your tires inflated? like my last suggestion, it's quite possible you do this already -- but if not, it uses less gas than partially inflated tires & makes the tires last longer, so less resources going into replacement tires.

Yay for bumper plates!!

tumblr_ly5uejqqIl1qh17feo1_500.gif

(except replace the pashmina with bumpers)

Ooh! ooh! I saw this one earlier and I wanted to use it for something. Totally fits here:

ross-jump-o.gif

Bumper plates!

Thanks! I'm excited to play with them. I left them in the back seat of my truck last night, and I got in this morning and was trying to figure out why it smelled like smoke, finally figured out it was the oil on the bumper plates, I kinda wigged for a minute though.

All of these Friends gifs make my life :)

Glad we could be of service! Roving Friends gifs are a constant threat around these parts.

what about keeping your tires inflated? like my last suggestion, it's quite possible you do this already -- but if not, it uses less gas than partially inflated tires & makes the tires last longer, so less resources going into replacement tires.

I actually aired them up last weekend ha! It's kind of amazing all of these things I have done over the past few months that I've done for completely random reasons, but everyone is telling me they are good for other reasons now. I must be a genius!

What a great gym morning today was. My gym opens at 5:00am and I like to get there early on DL days so I can clear out plenty of room before it gets crowded. So I'm going to pick up a towel and there is this good looking girl standing there waiting on whatever class was about to start, and she turns, sees me, and gives me the once over. She liked what she saw, I could tell ha! So I rolled through my DL and felt strong the whole time. Then did the same thing with my OHP, when I had another great moment. I was standing there thinking it was very quiet in there, but the music was playing, all of the normal gym noises, then I figured it out. There was nobody on the cardio equipment! None of that constant whirring that they generate. I was very proud of my fellow gym goers (although 90% of them were on machines, but I can forgive them for that)

Then a strange thing happened while doing my squats. My boxers exploded. They were older ones that are a little too big for me now, and there was a little too much room so they were sitting funny. It actually hindered my lift though, cause I couldn't get deep enough. But I felt good enough about the rest of my lifts this morning to call it early. Sorry if that was too much information, I just find it hilarious.

And the workout.

Barbell Deadlift:

135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

305 lb x 5 reps (+207 pts)

315 lb x 2 reps (+150 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 10 reps (+58 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)

115 lb x 3 reps (+63 pts)

125 lb x 5 reps (+85 pts)

125 lb x 3 reps (+68 pts)

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)

I'm also getting a lot better at foam rolling and mobility stuff every night before I lift, I'm sure it will start to show more and more over the next few weeks.

Onward and upward!

What a great gym morning today was. My gym opens at 5:00am and I like to get there early on DL days so I can clear out plenty of room before it gets crowded. So I'm going to pick up a towel and there is this good looking girl standing there waiting on whatever class was about to start, and she turns, sees me, and gives me the once over. She liked what she saw, I could tell ha! So I rolled through my DL and felt strong the whole time. Then did the same thing with my OHP, when I had another great moment. I was standing there thinking it was very quiet in there, but the music was playing, all of the normal gym noises, then I figured it out. There was nobody on the cardio equipment! None of that constant whirring that they generate. I was very proud of my fellow gym goers (although 90% of them were on machines, but I can forgive them for that)

Then a strange thing happened while doing my squats. My boxers exploded. They were older ones that are a little too big for me now, and there was a little too much room so they were sitting funny. It actually hindered my lift though, cause I couldn't get deep enough. But I felt good enough about the rest of my lifts this morning to call it early. Sorry if that was too much information, I just find it hilarious.

And the workout.

Barbell Deadlift:

305 lb x 5 reps (+207 pts)

315 lb x 2 reps (+150 pts)

45 lb x 10 reps (+58 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)

125 lb x 5 reps (+85 pts)

Barbell Squat:

I'm also getting a lot better at foam rolling and mobility stuff every night before I lift, I'm sure it will start to show more and more over the next few weeks.

Onward and upward!

I was slightly terrified to click on the "my boxers exploded" link. I was unsure what was on the other side... But I ultimately decided you'd never flash us.

First, OF COURSE she was checkin' out yo stuffs. Rawr! She was all....

tumblr_lt4p8yhThJ1qh17feo1_500.gif

^^HAHAHAHA! Sorry, that's inappropriate. But I've been wondering if I could ever use it.

Second, cardio machine-free gym? I like the sound (or lack of sound) of that.

And third, your boxers exploding might be the best thing I hear this week. But....

tumblr_lt4poeg9pn1qh17feo1_500.gif

Go on wit yo bad self!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I was slightly terrified to click on the "my boxers exploded" link. I was unsure what was on the other side... But I ultimately decided you'd never flash us.

^^HAHAHAHA! Sorry, that's inappropriate. But I've been wondering if I could ever use it.

And third, your boxers exploding might be the best thing I hear this week. But....

Go on wit yo bad self!

Best reply. Well played, Kelly.

Lots of awesome stuff going on here. You are the sheezy. Keep that up. I like associating with awesome people :)

Go on wit yo bad self!

Hahaha! That's good stuff. I decided while I was lifting that they needed to hire a hot guy and girl to just stand at the entrance and check people out quickly, in a non-sleazy way, just to give a little boost to everyone's ego while they work out. The lack of cardio machine sound was a little eerie really. Like the calm before the storm.

I kind of had this moment after the initial rippage too.

tumblr_mbunf9t9N71qln2p6o2_r1_500.gif

Best reply. Well played, Kelly.

Lots of awesome stuff going on here. You are the sheezy. Keep that up. I like associating with awesome people :)

Thank you ma'am! I will continue my reign of awesome over the southern Mississippi area!

I made a new recipe last night.

Paleo braised pork chop thing.

3 big pork chops

2 tbsp coconut oil (olive oil would probably be better)

2 cans tomatoes (I used chopped, pureed would probably work well too)

1/2 cup chicken broth (give or take)

1 large carrot, chopped

1 large celery stalk, chopped

1/2 small head of cabbage, sliced

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tbsp smoked paprika

1 tsp dried dill

1 tsp dried thyme

salt n peppa to taste (and to jam to)

Heat a large pan over high, add coconut oil, put in pork chops for a couple of minutes each side to brown. Pull pork out and set aside, add in celery, carrot, garlic, and chicken broth to deglaze the pan, stir it around a bit to make sure all of the delicious brown bits are loose. Add in the spices now too. Reduce heat to medium and pour on the tomatoes, then move the veggies around to make room for the pork, which you should add back in now. Put the lid on and let it cook for a bit, if it looks a little dry, throw in some more chicken broth. (I cooked it for 40 minutes here, 30 would probably be fine) Then add in the cabbage and cook for another 20-25 minutes.

This will make three servings easily, unless you're me and it was a lifting day, then it's like 1 1/2 servings tops. I probably would have put in onions too, but I'm in operation "Can't buy groceries until you've eaten what you've got" right now, and I'm out of onion. Other than that, more foam rolling and mobility last night, and apparently I snoozed through a couple of tornadoes, so good times.

Sounds pretty tasty!

With the other hunks of things that you've got in there, I'd stick with chopped tomatoes unless you want more of a sauce.

How did the dill work out? I don't use it enough to know what sorts of flavors it's good with.

Yeah the chunk tomatoes worked well. I don't use dill all that often, my main experience is with homemade ranch, but I use fresh dill for that and it is really strong. This was a lot better, a little milder, but it added a nice little something into it. I went into the meal thinking "eastern European" but I don't know a whole lot about that kind of cooking, so I guessed at spices.

Are you sure these aren't your business cards? I am pretty sure they should be. (haha everytime i see these instantly you come to mind)

552364_833753714037_1962909958_n.jpg

Ha, it ain't my business card, it's my driver's license!

Standard issue workout this morning.

Barbell Squat:

135 lb x 8 reps (+75 pts)

295 lb x 3 reps (+155 pts)

305 lb x 2 reps (+140 pts)

285 lb x 2 reps (+122 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:

185 lb x 5 reps (+92 pts)

195 lb x 5 reps (+99 pts)

205 lb x 1 reps (+58 pts)

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

85 lb x 5 reps (+44 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+48 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+48 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+48 pts)

I actually had a conversation with a fellow gym goer this morning, that doesn't happen often.

I finished up a book I was reading yesterday and tried to get into 1Q84 again, it just doesn't appeal to me at all, I'll finish it eventually though. Instead, I picked up a book of Lovecraft short stories that I've had lying around for a few months, this seems like a good time of year to check them out.

I'm returning 1Q84 today. Didn't get into it, either. Work's been crazy-busy though so by the time I get home, I hardly have energy to read. In fact I haven't worked out at all this week (**GASP!!**). But will get in workouts this weekend. Not a stellar week, but with as awful as work's been, I guess these things happen.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I really liked book 1 (after the first couple chapters) but book 2 isn't doing it for me.

Goal #1: Grow stronger! Add 50# total to my Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OHP! Whoever this shadowy figure is I'll need to be stronger to stop him, if I ever find him! (+3 STR)

Squat 285 -> 265

DL 335 -> 335

OHP 115-> 125

Bench 180 -> 195

So I'm up 25 lbs, I can probably do this one, or get very close. I'll try to hit a new PR on my DL Friday, that should add 10-15 lbs.

Goal #2: I don't know how to catch shadows, so I'm going to need to learn some new tricks. Two days a week I will do something new in the exercise world! (Bulgarian bag, kettle bells, tabatas, sprint intervals) (+1 STR, +1 STA, +1 CON)

I did all of the jump ropes and some kettlebell snatches saturday, so Week 3 is good!

I didn't do anything extra last week, I had a busy weekend, which messed my planned stuff up.

Goal #3: Disciline - It's hard to fight the unknown, especially when you aren't paying attention. To teach myself discipline I will plan my meals and buy the food for said meals once every week! I will also be attempting the Whole30 during October, but I know I have a job on the road coming up next month and I don't know if it will be possible to complete the Whole30 during that time. (+4 CON, +1 WIS)

I didn't plan very well last week either, I'm trying to get everything in my fridge cleaned out before I go buy more groceries, as it looks right now, that should be tomorrow evening. So I'll plan everything tomorrow, then head to

Goal #4: You can't find what you can't see, so I've got to clean this place up if I'm going to find this bad mother-shut yo mouth! So I'm going to save the environment! I will come up with six new ways (one per week) to be enviornmentally responsible and see if I can implement them in my daily life. (+2 WIS, +1 CHA)

Week #1: Responsibly dispose of the grocery bags! Mission "Accomplished"

Week #2: Learn to recycle, like the wind! Mission Accomplished!

Week #3: Save the Power! (no relation) I did pretty well at this, I unplugged both chargers (personal and work phone) almost every day, I did unplug the random radios and speakers around my apartment daily (I like music a lot) and I unplugged my laptop most of the time. It wasn't perfect, but it is a big improvement, so I'm going to say Mission Accomplished, with some polishing to do.

Week #4: ??? I haven't come up with anything that I can do this week, so I will reach out to my fellow warriors, which is handy considering this week's mini-challenge. So give me ideas green warriors!

I never really came up with a "save the world" goal last week, so I'm going to finish getting rid of all my old clothes that are too big for me as this weeks goal.

Week #5: Give it all away (big old clothes)!

Today's workout:

Barbell Deadlift:

315 lb x 4 reps (+202 pts)

335 lb x 1 reps (+139 pts)

45 lb x 8 reps (+56 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

Barbell Squat:

200 lb x 10 reps (+120 pts)

Everything went well this morning. I started some programming that JDanger posted a couple of weeks ago. My body almost rebelled against sets of 10, my lower back was getting really tired by the end of the third set, hopefully this will help build up some endurance for me.

Sets of ten are pretty brutal and that's not even in the endurance range! But after doing everything in sets of five or fewer, ten is a lot. :)

I need to do more of those; I've seen articles which suggest women respond better to higher volume programming. I'm thinking that once I get up to 135 for my work sets at five reps I'll just stay there until I can do three sets of ten.

Sets of ten are pretty brutal and that's not even in the endurance range! But after doing everything in sets of five or fewer, ten is a lot. :)

I need to do more of those; I've seen articles which suggest women respond better to higher volume programming. I'm thinking that once I get up to 135 for my work sets at five reps I'll just stay there until I can do three sets of ten.

I started out my weight lifting career as a 3X10 specialist, it's all we did in high school. I didn't think they would work me so much, but I was wrong. This makes me think I should add a volume day to everything, another vote for the Texas Method.

We got a room booked for the National American Strongman competition in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing this competition. I might get a little stalky around the LBEB folks though...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines