Max Power: Trial by Fire

Max Power

The adding weight goals are always so fun to me. It seems like it'll be do-able and then it comes down to the wire. Can I do it?! weight, Y U No Move UP?! Looking forward tot that deadlift PR!

I don't know if any of y'all noticed but there is definitely a new paleo crockpot cookbook out. Boyf and I are coveting it.

Speaking of LBEB, did ya add a pic to their album yet? Your beard requires it! I really want to send in a photo for their new halloween album but I don't actually have a costume for this year (man, I'm getting old and lame. mostly lame).

Jdanger will never lead you wrong. Well, not unless he does it intentionally for kicks. But he doesn't strike me as the type to do that :) I saw his program and it looks awesome. I need to figure out some new programming. I was looking at Texas method, too. I need to get on that whole volume thing and deload weeks thing.

So much to learn! The more I learn, the less I know. Becoming powerful warrior, Y U No Super Easy?! :D

Post your nommy food plan when you get it set up!!!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

The adding weight goals are always so fun to me. It seems like it'll be do-able and then it comes down to the wire. Can I do it?! weight, Y U No Move UP?! Looking forward tot that deadlift PR!

I don't know if any of y'all noticed but there is definitely a new paleo crockpot cookbook out. Boyf and I are coveting it.

Speaking of LBEB, did ya add a pic to their album yet? Your beard requires it! I really want to send in a photo for their new halloween album but I don't actually have a costume for this year (man, I'm getting old and lame. mostly lame).

Jdanger will never lead you wrong. Well, not unless he does it intentionally for kicks. But he doesn't strike me as the type to do that :) I saw his program and it looks awesome. I need to figure out some new programming. I was looking at Texas method, too. I need to get on that whole volume thing and deload weeks thing.

So much to learn! The more I learn, the less I know. Becoming powerful warrior, Y U No Super Easy?! :D

Post your nommy food plan when you get it set up!!!

I have seen something about the slow cooker recipe book, I may add that to my Christmas list, as I love slow cooker things...

I have not uploaded a photo to beards & barbells, I'd like to take a photo of my DL, but I'm usually a little busy during that time.

Oh and along those lines, I bought a new shirt, not LBEB, but still fun!

8116491298_d2d0daabef.jpg

And per your request. The food plan thus far...

Cream of broccoli soup (the recipe sounds better than the name)

Pulled Pork BBQ (with bone suckin sauce)

Beef Thai lettuce wraps

Carnitas & tomatillo guacamole (that's for date night this weekend)

Stirfry (chicken)

Acorn Squash stuffed with (meat yet to be determined, but probably sausage)

All of this will be accompanied with various greens, and vegetables. Lunches are usually leftovers. And I'm going to make another paleo protein muffin batch this week and try a cinnamon apple combo with it.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Man, that shirt and "bone suckin sauce" makes me REALLY want to get a smoker. I might just do it. For my birthday... And a little for not putting a letter opener through co-workers eyeballs. OK, mostly the second one.

Hmmmm... Maybe I should switch to jdanger's squat program. So many programs. Such a hard time doing anything. But the next five days are mine to do however I please. And sinceI'm trying not to drink, I guess I'll have to be productive!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Yeah, that's where having gym buddies pays off... all the photo ops!

That t-shirt is awesome.

Holy yum. Your meal plan sounds delish! We've been making a ton of squash stuffed with sausage round these parts. It's always a winner.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Man, that shirt and "bone suckin sauce" makes me REALLY want to get a smoker. I might just do it. For my birthday... And a little for not putting a letter opener through co-workers eyeballs. OK, mostly the second one.

Hmmmm... Maybe I should switch to jdanger's squat program. So many programs. Such a hard time doing anything. But the next five days are mine to do however I please. And sinceI'm trying not to drink, I guess I'll have to be productive!

I want to say good job for not putting the letter opener through the aforementioned coworker's eye, although the way one of my coworkers is acting, that might be the better choice. But if you buy a smoker for your birthday, then you can do this!

IMG_3148.jpg

Yeah, that's where having gym buddies pays off... all the photo ops!

That t-shirt is awesome.

Holy yum. Your meal plan sounds delish! We've been making a ton of squash stuffed with sausage round these parts. It's always a winner.

Thanks! My meal plan may have gone a little off track last night, the laws of thermodynamics ceased to exist and I couldn't get my chicken to thaw, so I took a whack at making the broccoli soup which turned out really well, but I snacked too much waiting on the chicken, boo chicken... I haven't tried making the sausage stuffed squash before, but I felt like it would make a nice combo, so that's plan A at this point, especially now that I know it's Laura approved.

So this morning's workout didn't go all that well, my head wasn't in it, and I have learned that that is the quickest way to get hurt. I did my dynamic stretching and foam rolling, but somehow forgot all of my arm circles and swings, which didn't help my bench at all. Then I kept making little mistakes during my squats, if I hadn't of been doing day two of JDanger's program, I probably would have given up half way through squats. And I just skipped rows altogether, but it's only one day, Friday will be better!

Barbell Bench Press:

45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)

135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)

155 lb x 3 reps (+60 pts)

185 lb x 3 reps (+74 pts)

200 lb x 3 reps (+82 pts) I was trying for 5 reps

Barbell Squat:

225 lb x 6 reps (+128 pts)

225 lb x 4 reps (+110 pts) my form started slipping, so I stopped the set early

And yesterday I found out that the rent is being raised at my apartment, so I will more than likely be moving. I've been thinking about it anyway, but with the rent hike, it seems like a good time, hopefully I can find a place about $100+ cheaper (my place is too expensive to start with) and start saving up more money for a house or new truck.

I'm out!

tumblr_lrsq0uE0jP1qafrh6.gif

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Workout went well this morning, I PR'd my DL, and it felt good.

Barbell Deadlift:

135 lb x 10 reps (+77 pts)

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

315 lb x 3 reps (+178 pts)

365 lb x 1 reps (+170 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

95 lb x 3 reps (+55 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

255 lb x 3 reps (+119 pts)

As for the weekend, I'm carving pumpkins with the GF, and we have a scary movie marathon planned for Sunday, other than that I plan on playing video games and generally being a bum. Good times ahead!

Way to go! DL PR <3

Sounds like a great weekend plan. What movies are on the agenda?

Army of Darkness (and possibly Evil Dead 2, if I can find my DVD of it), Trick or Treat, The Lost Boys, Hocus Pocus, and a handful of Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors. That's the plan thus far.

I like quirky horror movies way more than the gory ones.

Have you seen the trailer for the Evil Dead remake yet? Less camp more scare. I like it.

I watched it last night, I kind of wigged out when tongue and box cutter meet... It does look good though!

Awesome. Sounds like a good line up! I always forget about the Treehouse of Horror episodes. I'll be streaming some of those this weekend while I cook. Woot! Thanks for the reminder.

Goal #1: Grow stronger! Add 50# total to my Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OHP! Whoever this shadowy figure is I'll need to be stronger to stop him, if I ever find him! (+3 STR)

Squat 285 -> who knows anymore

DL 335 -> 365

OHP 115-> 125

Bench 180 -> 195

Already up 55lbs thanks to my DL, I'll keep pushing it this week though, although my bench is about to be on the injured reserve I think.

Goal #2: I don't know how to catch shadows, so I'm going to need to learn some new tricks. Two days a week I will do something new in the exercise world! (Bulgarian bag, kettle bells, tabatas, sprint intervals) (+1 STR, +1 STA, +1 CON)

I didn't do anything special... I'm a terrible person...

Goal #3: Discipline - It's hard to fight the unknown, especially when you aren't paying attention. To teach myself discipline I will plan my meals and buy the food for said meals once every week! I will also be attempting the Whole30 during October, but I know I have a job on the road coming up next month and I don't know if it will be possible to complete the Whole30 during that time. (+4 CON, +1 WIS)

I planned my meals nicely last week, but I didn't really follow through on them. I had several nights where I went out to eat with friends, and didn't even bother going to the grocery store until Saturday. So this last week was all about good intentions...

Goal #4: You can't find what you can't see, so I've got to clean this place up if I'm going to find this bad mother-shut yo mouth! So I'm going to save the environment! I will come up with six new ways (one per week) to be enviornmentally responsible and see if I can implement them in my daily life. (+2 WIS, +1 CHA)

Week #1: Responsibly dispose of the grocery bags! Mission "Accomplished"

Week #2: Learn to recycle, like the wind! Mission Accomplished!

Week #3: Save the Power! (no relation) I did pretty well at this, I unplugged both chargers (personal and work phone) almost every day, I did unplug the random radios and speakers around my apartment daily (I like music a lot) and I unplugged my laptop most of the time. It wasn't perfect, but it is a big improvement, so I'm going to say Mission Accomplished, with some polishing to do.

Week #4: ??? I haven't come up with anything that I can do this week, so I will reach out to my fellow warriors, which is handy considering this week's mini-challenge. So give me ideas green warriors!

I never really came up with a "save the world" goal last week, so I'm going to finish getting rid of all my old clothes that are too big for me as this weeks goal.

Week #5: Give it all away (big old clothes)! Ended up having a pretty busy weekend, so I didn't make it out to the place Saturday morning.

Week #6: Start the move towards "green cleaners" and "fancy light bulbs" I need a couple of things for cleaning, so I figure I'll start the move in that direction.

So the weekend went really well, I went to a charity book sale Saturday morning and bought quite a few books, for $9.00, I felt like a champ after that. I also won a collection of books at a silent auction. They were all about different wilderness areas in the US. It's right up my alley really. Gf started to get sick Saturday, so we didn't carve any pumpkins (which is sad, cause I really wanted to have some toasted pumpkin seeds) but we had our movie day yesterday, it was really nice, but we had candy and some snacky stuff all day. I didn't expect it to bother my workout this morning, but my joints were kind of achey through the whole thing. So gonna have to real the diet back in this week...

Today's workout:

Barbell Bench Press:

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

185 lb x 2 reps (+62 pts)

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 8 reps (+40 pts)

200 lb x 10 reps (+120 pts)

Pendlay Row:

45 lb x 10 reps (+31 pts)

95 lb x 8 reps (+43 pts)

135 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

135 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

135 lb x 8 reps (+56 pts)

I've got some tendonitis flaring up in my right shoulder, it really only shows up when I'm benching, so I think I'm going to not push my bench anymore for the next couple of weeks.

Also I'm heading out of town for a day or two for work, which means greasy food and motel beds. Good times??? Probably not.

Rest that shoulder!!!! Do not let the -itis get you!

greasy motel beds? I hope not!

:)

I watched a lot of treehouse of horror yesterday, btw. It was awesome.

Congrats on the deadlift PR! And good call on not pushing numbers on bench press if your shoulder is feeling weird; I've had weird shoulder tweakiness before which is sometimes okay at lower weights, but not something where I want to go to what might be failure.

Thanks! Yeah, I've had some shoulder issues before, never injuries, just overly tight sometimes.

Rest that shoulder!!!! Do not let the -itis get you!

greasy motel beds? I hope not!

:)

I watched a lot of treehouse of horror yesterday, btw. It was awesome.

I've stayed in some pretty shady motels. When I worked in texas I stayed in one where I went to pull a towel off the rack and most of the rack came with it. I also ended up fighting the king of all roaches in there... and I lost...

We never even got around to any treehouses of horror yesterday, made it through several movies though. And I built a fire in the fireplace, I think I won points for that one.

For some reason a fear of bedbugs has taken over me every time I stay in a hotel. I always check for them (although I'm not sure i know how). But I still feel those little bastards crawling on me all night (no matter how nice the hotel seems). And then worry for a week after I get back that they've infested my house. Such a stupid thing to get OCD about, but I can't seem to help it. I should see counseling. For lots of things.

Sorry you didn't get to do the pumpkin carving. Reschedule? My sister and bro in law carved pumpkins with their kids and they toasted the seeds. Then talked about it but didn't share... I was jealous. :)

High five for saving the world at the charity book sale!

High_five.gif

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

@ Kelly I worried about bed bugs some last year when I was in and out of sleazy motels all the time. But I'm staying in higher quality places these days. Nothing too fancy, but carb heavy-free breakfast type hotels. And I don't think we'll be doing the pumpkin carving tonight, gf is kind of sick, I think our plans for the night are It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Oh and this is for you...

tumblr_m7nhug63IH1rwt356o1_500.gif

So this is already a weird day. I woke up at 4:00 this morning to go to the gym, like I do. And I go through all of my foam rolley, stretchy, pre-workout drinkey rituals. Then just decided not to go to the gym. This was only the second day since May that I voluntarily decided not to go to the gym, and I had the good sense last time to stay in bed. So instead I did some mobility stuff for the next twenty or thirty minutes. But I'm thinking of taking off this afternoon and running errands (I've got to buy a new suit) and if that doesn't take too long, I may go to they gym then. I'm so ready to buy that Rogue yoke, probably won't happen until after Christmas with all of these random expenses that keep popping up. So hopefully I'll get my lift on this afternoon, otherwise, I'll have a nice hard workout come Friday!

Do the slightly less sketchy hotels have gyms? You could get some dumbbell workouts in before you have your free danish and terrible coffee.

It depends on where we are staying. Some towns we stay at the only hotel available, which usually means no gym. Other towns I can usually find one with a gym (since I get to book things for the drill crew) The last one we stayed at with a gym only had two treadmills, an eliptical, a couple of bikes, and one weight machine that had 90lbs on it. Most of the handles were missing, and there wasn't a bench. I did some tricep extensions and curls and referred to myself as broseph a lot.

Usually when we are going out of town I'll bring my kettlebell, but I knew I wasn't going to be gone long this time, since I was training a new guy to do my job.

Oh! I meant to see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in theaters and missed it. I read the book and I loved it. You can also get Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. I've not seen that either...

Morning Workout (warning deadlift hijinks ahead)

Barbell Deadlift:

315 lb x 5 reps (+222 pts)

385 lb x 1 reps (+195 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)

115 lb x 3 reps (+63 pts)

125 lb x 2 reps (+57 pts)

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

265 lb x 3 reps (+127 pts)

I was having fun with me DL this morning, I hit 385 lbs and lifted it fairly quickly, so I thought lets try even higher... So I attempted 405lbs and I managed to get it up about a foot, I think I could have done it if I just warmed up with singles past 300 lbs instead of doing 5 reps at 315. But I'll wait before I try it again. And I didn't push myself with OHP or squats as those DLs wiped me out pretty well. Ooh and there was a guy who was doing OHP when I walked in the gym, and I was happy that there was another barbell enthusiast around, because I've never seen anyone do OHP's in there before except me. But then he went immediately to the dumbbells and machines for his bro work, and I was alone again...

Anyway, I'm heading to Tunica this evening for the strongman/woman events this weekend, should have an excellent time at that.

Oh and here is a picture of me with my Halloween spoils.

8147645783_938ba40448.jpg

Final Week Recap/Challenge Recap.

Goal #1: Grow stronger! Add 50# total to my Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OHP! Whoever this shadowy figure is I'll need to be stronger to stop him, if I ever find him! (+3 STR)

Squat 285 -> 275

DL 335 -> 385

OHP 115-> 125

Bench 180 -> 195

Total = 915 -> 980

65lbs for the better! That's an A +3 STR

Goal #2: I don't know how to catch shadows, so I'm going to need to learn some new tricks. Two days a week I will do something new in the exercise world! (Bulgarian bag, kettle bells, tabatas, sprint intervals) (+1 STR, +1 STA, +1 CON)

I didn't do anything this week either, I really didn't follow through with this goal at all, but I will give myself a D +0.25 STR, +0.25 DTS, +0.25 CON for my first couple of weeks of work.

Goal #3: Discipline - It's hard to fight the unknown, especially when you aren't paying attention. To teach myself discipline I will plan my meals and buy the food for said meals once every week! I will also be attempting the Whole30 during October, but I know I have a job on the road coming up next month and I don't know if it will be possible to complete the Whole30 during that time. (+4 CON, +1 WIS)

Whole30 ended up flaming out thanks to tailgating. But other than one week I did pretty well with this goal. B +3 CON, +0.25 WIS

Goal #4: You can't find what you can't see, so I've got to clean this place up if I'm going to find this bad mother-shut yo mouth! So I'm going to save the environment! I will come up with six new ways (one per week) to be enviornmentally responsible and see if I can implement them in my daily life. (+2 WIS, +1 CHA)

Week #1: Responsibly dispose of the grocery bags! Mission "Accomplished"

Week #2: Learn to recycle, like the wind! Mission Accomplished!

Week #3: Save the Power! (no relation) I did pretty well at this, I unplugged both chargers (personal and work phone) almost every day, I did unplug the random radios and speakers around my apartment daily (I like music a lot) and I unplugged my laptop most of the time. It wasn't perfect, but it is a big improvement, so I'm going to say Mission Accomplished, with some polishing to do.

Week #4: ??? I haven't come up with anything that I can do this week, so I will reach out to my fellow warriors, which is handy considering this week's mini-challenge. So give me ideas green warriors!

I never really came up with a "save the world" goal last week, so I'm going to finish getting rid of all my old clothes that are too big for me as this weeks goal.

Week #5: Give it all away (big old clothes)! Ended up having a pretty busy weekend, so I didn't make it out to the place Saturday morning.

Week #6: Start the move towards "green cleaners" and "fancy light bulbs" I need a couple of things for cleaning, so I figure I'll start the move in that direction. Mission, somewhat accomplished.

I did pretty well on this goal, I'm still recycling and taking my bags in, I dealt with light bulbs yesterday, clothes are all packed up waiting to be given away, and I routinely unplug things as I'm leaving. So... B +1.5 WIS, +0.75 CHA

Over all I give myself a B-

This week, I'm going to be setting all of my 5RM for my big lifts in preparation for the next challenge. I've got a plan...

This past weekend was loads of fun, I watched people DL cars, and do one armed clean and jerks with 200+ lbs. I met all of the LBEB guys and gal (Talia was the only lady there). I had my picture made with Brandon and posted it to facebook It was like my buddy said, how often do I get dwarfed by people. All in all a good weekend, and very inspiring. I was practically giddy by the time it was over.

Well done on this challenge, sir! And hell yeah on meeting the LBEBers! I think you're famous!

I need to figure out my current 5RMs on my lifts, too. And get to it this challenge!

One of my goals is, "Set my challenge goals and don't listen to, "You should really try/do/consider..." feedback." :) Becasue I always seem to start, get distracted, change, get confused, give up. (I know I shouldn't use that as an excuse to give up, but if I stayed the course, I probably wouldn't feel so overwhelmed/discouraged.)

Edit: I sent you a friend request, but if friending IRL isn't your thang, this girl will not be offended.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

They always disappoint.. those bros.. for a minute you think, "Huzzah!" and then it's over.

Nice work on those deadlifts!! I see you owning 405 soon.

Great job on the challenge! Love that pic of you and Brandon. Seriously, how fn big is he?!?! I would have fan girled out meeting Talia. I have a major girl crush on her.

So what's your plaaaaaaaaan?

Kelly--good plan! hahaha

and I also friended him. All the internet connections!!

Well done on this challenge, sir! And hell yeah on meeting the LBEBers! I think you're famous!

I need to figure out my current 5RMs on my lifts, too. And get to it this challenge!

One of my goals is, "Set my challenge goals and don't listen to, "You should really try/do/consider..." feedback." :) Becasue I always seem to start, get distracted, change, get confused, give up. (I know I shouldn't use that as an excuse to give up, but if I stayed the course, I probably wouldn't feel so overwhelmed/discouraged.)

Edit: I sent you a friend request, but if friending IRL isn't your thang, this girl will not be offended.

Thanks! and I accepted said request! All of the LBEB folks were cool, it turns out that L-Train is only like 5'2", I had no idea from his pics on the website, oh and his real name is Matt Leblanc!

tumblr_m6o9dqympT1qf9qvv.gif

They always disappoint.. those bros.. for a minute you think, "Huzzah!" and then it's over.

Nice work on those deadlifts!! I see you owning 405 soon.

Great job on the challenge! Love that pic of you and Brandon. Seriously, how fn big is he?!?! I would have fan girled out meeting Talia. I have a major girl crush on her.

So what's your plaaaaaaaaan?

Kelly--good plan! hahaha

and I also friended him. All the internet connections!!

I don't think 405 is all that far from getting lifted, I don't know if I'll be attempting it this week or not though, since I'm hitting all of my 5rm, because... I'm gonna go all Texas Method on this beast next time! What?! I'm about to put together a spreadsheet for myself for it too. (Is it bad that I'm excited about that???)

Brandon was the one who really surprised me with his size, I knew Marshall would dwarf me, and it took everything in my power not to fanboy on him Haha!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines