Roo's "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down" Challenge

msuroo

OK, new challenge time. I feel like I've been spinning my wheels for the last couple of challenges, and I'm getting kind of tired of it - it's time for progress again dammit! For inspiration, we turn to one of my favorite Homer Simpson moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsA4FnwrR7E

So the theme this time around is going to be speed.

Speedy Lifts

Specifically the snatch and the clean & jerk. If you've followed my challenges in the past, you know that I've been futzing around with these for a while, but it's time to make real progress. The goal is to clean & jerk my bodyweight, for which I will earn +4 STR and +1 DEX if successful. This is admittedly a stretch goal - I'm currently hanging out at a bodyweight of around 77kg, and my best C&J to this point is 60kg. While a >25% increase is aggressive, I think I have most of the strength base to pull it off already - what I need more of is technique (read: speed). To that end, I've found a new coach to work with, whom some of you may recognize. First class is tomorrow - I can't wait to get out there.

Speedy Legs

The one thing that went right last challenge was getting back in the running groove, so that was a plus. I didn't pay any attention to pace, however, and treated everything as a long run from an effort perspective (even the runs that weren't very long). I really don't like speedwork very much, but I know I need to do it. To give me some motivation, I signed up for a race the last weekend of the challenge (November 4), and the goal is to run 5 km in 23:36, for which I will earn +4 DEX abd +1 STA if successful. This is another stretch goal, but may as well aim high, amirite? Also, why 23:36? Well, according to the McMillan Running pace calculator, 23:36 is the equivalent 5k pace to a 3:50:00 marathon, which is my super stretch goal for my marathon in January. Honestly, I'm really hoping just to get in under 4 hours, but my plan is to train like I want to run 3:50 so that when I get there, 4:00 hopefully doesn't feel so bad.

Speedy Recovery

I don't get enough sleep, period. Part of it is my own doing (staying up late to watch Breaking Bad or read Game of Thrones), and part of it is having a kid who doesn't sleep very well (especially when he's sick...which is pretty much all the time), but the long and short of it is I need more. I can't do anything about the latter, so I'm not going to set an hours per night goal, but I can do something about the former. The goal is to be in bed by 10:30pm 6 nights a week. This means every worknight and 1 of the weekend nights (Mrs Roo and I each take the munchkin once on the weekend and let the other one sleep in). This also means in bed and going to sleep...not in bed and reading my kindle or in bed and watching football. If successful for >33 of 36 nights, I will earn +3 CON. I'm not going to lie, this is going to be a challenge (but that's the point, right?). Late nights are usually the only time I get "me" time, and that's pretty important to me too. Mrs Roo usually goes to bed between 9:00 and 9:30, so I just need to limit it to an hour instead of 3. I'm guessing I'll feel a whole lot better if I do get some more sleep - so let's try it and find out!

Speedy Escape

My life goal this time around is to quit my gym. I work out in a big globo gym, and don't actually like it very much. It isn't well equipped for what I want to be doing (read: weightlifting), and hauling my own bumpers and technique plates in there is pretty limiting from a loading perspective (not to mention a gigantic pain in the ass). It's time to take steps to actually do something about it - 3 steps in particular: 1) Build a weightlifting platform. 2) Set aside enough $ to buy a bar and a squat rack. 3) Clear an appropriate space in the basement to use all that stuff. If I can do all that, I will earn +2 CHA and give my gym the requisite 30 day notice.

So there you have it. Pretty aggressive goals this time around, and I’d be lying if I said I thought I was going to ace them all. The hardest part will be finding time for everything, given all of the competing priorities. My marathon training mileage keeps climbing, so I may need to cut back to twice a week in the gym. Also, late nights are when I would normally do stuff like clean the basement or build my lifting platform, but I want to give a dedicated effort at better sleep this challenge, so I’ll have to find other time for that. Also a lot of results based goals this time around. I tend not to like those as much, since as long as you put the work in, that’s all that should matter, but I feel like I need those targets for an extra kick in the pants this time.

Aaaand away we go!

I like! I've never seen that Simpsons episode. I always think The Simpsons is funny, but I rarely watch it.

I'm also in a horrible habit of staying up late doing "nothing" and even though I live alone, that's my "me" time, too. But the extra sleep is worth it when I can get in bed in time! As for everything else, you always set these goals that seem out of this world to me, but you always do so well. Here's to conquering this challenge, speedily!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Speedy Recovery

I don't get enough sleep, period. Part of it is my own doing (staying up late to watch Breaking Bad or read Game of Thrones), and part of it is having a kid who doesn't sleep very well (especially when he's sick...which is pretty much all the time), but the long and short of it is I need more. I can't do anything about the latter, so I'm not going to set an hours per night goal, but I can do something about the former. The goal is to be in bed by 10:30pm 6 nights a week. This means every worknight and 1 of the weekend nights (Mrs Roo and I each take the munchkin once on the weekend and let the other one sleep in). This also means in bed and going to sleep...not in bed and reading my kindle or in bed and watching football. If successful for >33 of 36 nights, I will earn +3 CON. I'm not going to lie, this is going to be a challenge (but that's the point, right?). Late nights are usually the only time I get "me" time, and that's pretty important to me too. Mrs Roo usually goes to bed between 9:00 and 9:30, so I just need to limit it to an hour instead of 3. I'm guessing I'll feel a whole lot better if I do get some more sleep - so let's try it and find out!

Love this goal. I'm doing something similar this challenge with trying to wake up and go to bed on time. Such a huge help for life productivity and general happiness to be all well-rested and whatnot! and dig about getting out of globogym. Kudos on the DIY effort!

9/25/12

4 mile run @ 8:40 pace

So I tried to pep my run up this morning, and ended up staying between 8:30 and 8:45 for most of the run. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty tough - I'm a looong way from the 7:36 pace I need to meet my goal. My plan is to do one pace run like this every week, then an interval session, then the scheduled long run from my marathon training schedule on the weekend - we'll see how it goes!

9/25/12

Muscle Snatch

~8 @ 20kg

Snatch position work

~3x5 @ 20kg

~3x3 @ 25

Snatch from blocks

~3x3 @ 25kg

Snatch balance

~8 @ 20kg

5 @ 25

5 @ 30

3 @ 35 (failed reps 4 and 5)

5 @ 35 (woohoo)

Snatch push press

~8 @ 20kg

5 @ 25

5 @ 30

3 @ 35 (failed at #4)

5 @ 35 (woohoo again)

First workout with jdagner last night...it was awesome. My shoulders were completely torched by the end. The snatch position work eye-opening. The last coach I worked with didn't do any position work at all - everything was a full lift from the floor, and it was clear right away last night that I was nowhere close in some spots. Of course, this means I'm going to have to completely break down my clean too, but I'm excited at the prospect of getting it right (or at least...better). Anyway, jdanger is the man. His gym is on the wrong side of town for me, so I'll probably only be able to get out there ~once a week (which bums me out), but I'm still pumped about it. It also gave me increased motivation to get my basement gym set up - I really want to do position work more than the 2 days a week I'm going to be able to get into my regular gym (which I want to quit more than ever).

Side note, last night was the first time I'd ever seen crossfit in action. I'll be honest, it seemed pretty sweet. Everyone there was really nice too.

I'm SOOOO jealous jdanger is your coach! I've been passively looking for a coach here in town, but haven't found anything aside from Crossfit, and I know they work on form for lifts, but am not sure how personalized it is. I still consider myself beginner enough, I'd like to find someone who ONLY works with the basics (squat, bench, DL, OHP, bent rows, and maybe lunges). And I know that's boring. Anyway, SOOOOO jealous! It's like you have the cream of the cream of the cream of the crop! I can't wait to see how you progress!

Also good luck with your home gym! I'm excited to see how that plays out since you're so handy with building!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I'm SOOOO jealous jdanger is your coach! I've been passively looking for a coach here in town, but haven't found anything aside from Crossfit, and I know they work on form for lifts, but am not sure how personalized it is. I still consider myself beginner enough, I'd like to find someone who ONLY works with the basics (squat, bench, DL, OHP, bent rows, and maybe lunges). And I know that's boring. Anyway, SOOOOO jealous! It's like you have the cream of the cream of the cream of the crop! I can't wait to see how you progress!

Also good luck with your home gym! I'm excited to see how that plays out since you're so handy with building!

Yeah, I'm admittedly very pumped about it :). Re: crossfit coaching, my sense is that you would get as much or as little personal attention as you needed/wanted, but obviously YMMV depending on the box (and there would be more going on than the basic lifts). I didn't actually participate in the crossfit wod yesterday, but it started up after the oly class ended, and jdanger kept working with me on oly stuff while it was going - it was neat to watch.

The vibe I got from crossfit was great, just waiting on my life to ease up so I can actually go. Where are you training at?

Crossfit Deviate in Rochester. I live on the west side, so it's a hike, but I can't wait to get back.

Here it is! This is an awesome challenge! You make me miss reruns of The Simpsons.

Okay, so, like, wait. Are you saying you're going to go and spend IRL time with Jdang getting the sweet coaching goods?!

Regardless, I'm a bit on the jealous side. That's going to be awesome!

Good luck on all your speedy goals!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yeah, I'm admittedly very pumped about it :). Re: crossfit coaching, my sense is that you would get as much or as little personal attention as you needed/wanted, but obviously YMMV depending on the box (and there would be more going on than the basic lifts). I didn't actually participate in the crossfit wod yesterday, but it started up after the oly class ended, and jdanger kept working with me on oly stuff while it was going - it was neat to watch.

That's where I am in my pondering about crossfit, wanting to do lifting but not necessarily wanting to participate in WODs. And the one place local is a long-ish drive and I anticipate snow starting before too long... sigh.

Great goals Roo, especially the sleeping thing. I'm a night owl, and I don't seem to get much done until after 8pm and then I end up exhausted the next morning until mid afternoon, when I'll perk up regardless of how much sleep I got. Not a great system.

That's where I am in my pondering about crossfit, wanting to do lifting but not necessarily wanting to participate in WODs. And the one place local is a long-ish drive and I anticipate snow starting before too long... sigh.

I think most crossfit boxes are wod-centric. Some of them have open gym time, and some of them have oly classes, but for the most part, people join crossfit to do wods. I'm not actually joining this box that I'm going to (although it's something I'd love to try if life circumstances were different) - I'm just paying a per visit drop-in fee to do the oly class.

Great goals Roo, especially the sleeping thing. I'm a night owl, and I don't seem to get much done until after 8pm and then I end up exhausted the next morning until mid afternoon, when I'll perk up regardless of how much sleep I got. Not a great system.

Lol, this is me exactly. I'm really curious to see how different I feel with an earlier bedtime - should be a good experiment either way.

I feel like, if I got to meet J in person I'd fangirl out. Just sayin'. That's really awesome. Glad you've got it worked out!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines