msuroo

Roo's "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down" Challenge

10/4/12

Intervals - 4x800m

3:33

3:35

3:31

I'm not gonna lie, these aren't very fun. I was pretty cooked after 4 of 'em, working up to 8 is going to be brutal.

On the bright side, weightlifting class tonight - yay!

10/4/12

Intervals - 4x800m

3:33

3:31

I'm not gonna lie, these aren't very fun. I was pretty cooked after 4 of 'em, working up to 8 is going to be brutal.

On the bright side, weightlifting class tonight - yay!

I assume those are 3 minutes of pretty high intensity? If so, I am way jealous of 3 MINUTES... I can do maybe 45 seconds, haha.

I assume those are 3 minutes of pretty high intensity? If so, I am way jealous of 3 MINUTES... I can do maybe 45 seconds, haha.

Those were my 800m (about half a mile) times, which I ran 4 intervals of. I hit my target pace just right (between 3:30 and 3:40), but man these aren't fun. I'm hoping to work up to be able to do 8 of them at that pace in a session.

Edited by msuroo

Glad to see everything is going good. I really want to get some time and get out to that crossfit place, but we both know thats gonna happen anytime soon

No weightlifting class makes Roo a sad panda.

137552-sad_panda.jpg

Mrs Roo got stuck at work, so I had to go get little man from day care. On the bright side, the reason she got stuck at work was a good one. There's a new position opening up in her office, and she talked her way into an impromptu interview. It sounds like she nailed it, and the job is basically hers if she wants it. We spent a lot of time talking about at last night, and still aren't sure if she should go for it. It would be a promotion in title (and probably comp), but she would be working for one of the subsidiaries instead of for the parent company. It would also involve more travel - something like twice per quarter, compared to the twice per year she travels now. (Not that twice per quarter is excessive, but added to the ~twice per quarter that I travel, we would be looking at >25% of the time that one of us wasn't home. That's pretty tough with the little one - I have no idea how single parents do it). She's in a pretty unique spot right now working directly with the chief executives of a F500 company (seriously, how many people 3 years out of college have an office next door to the CFO), and getting that kind of exposure would be tough to give up. On the other hand, she would get the opportunity to build and run her own team and projects, and could really make a name for herself in the new role if it all goes well.

Bleh, sorry for the rambling - we just have no idea what to do. I guess we don't really have a decision to make yet - she hasn't even formally applied for the position yet (she'll do that today), so we'll go through the process and see what the formal offer looks like (assuming she gets offered). We can re-assess at that point.

10/5/12

Dynamic warmup/mobility

2 cleans + jerk from above the knee

5 x 20kg

5 x 30

5 x 40

Clean & jerk

5 x 40kg

10 x 50

Front squat

3 x 5 x 95 lbs

3 x 135

3 x 155

3 x 3 x 165

Blah, shitty workout this morning - just wasn't feeling it. I was going to do some pullup work too, but I was running late and I was tired, so I skipped it - bleh. I tried some C&Js from the floor for the first time since learning the proper positioning from the knee up. It's...a work in process. Some of them felt OK, but I felt out of balance most of the time. Oh well, try again next time. Happy Friday everyone!

Edit to add: OK, so I'm going to be a total drag on the Warrior vs Scout challenge. Since I missed class yesterday, this morning was the only gym session I'll have until Monday, and it wasn't big volume at that. Sorry Warriors. :(

Procedural question though - how should I count the complex (2 cleans + a jerk), is that lifting the weight three times (2 cleans + 1 jerk)? Twice (1 clean + 1 c&j)? Or just once? Similarly, does the c&j count as two lifts or just one?

Edited by msuroo

Congrats to Mrs. Roo! And to you too, that's a great thing for your family.

You just have the one little Roo, right? Imagine 4. One in each level of school, HS, MS, Elem & daycare! That's a logistical nightmare!!!

I know it's tough being away. But realistically it's not that much. Are you both in a position that your employers can be flexible with your hours when the other is travelling? And it's good for the baby in my opinion to have just mommy time and just daddy time. With my lil P, I've found her behavior to be better when she's got more one on one time with each of us. YMMV.

I've been very fortunate to have super understanding supervisor and president. I just went to them and told them, I need flexibility because (insert difficult life story here) and they were more than happy to accommodate. Partly because I kick ass at what I do, and even if I'm late, I still get my projects completed by deadline.

Congrats to Mrs. Roo! And to you too, that's a great thing for your family.

You just have the one little Roo, right? Imagine 4. One in each level of school, HS, MS, Elem & daycare! That's a logistical nightmare!!!

I know it's tough being away. But realistically it's not that much. Are you both in a position that your employers can be flexible with your hours when the other is travelling? And it's good for the baby in my opinion to have just mommy time and just daddy time. With my lil P, I've found her behavior to be better when she's got more one on one time with each of us. YMMV.

I've been very fortunate to have super understanding supervisor and president. I just went to them and told them, I need flexibility because (insert difficult life story here) and they were more than happy to accommodate. Partly because I kick ass at what I do, and even if I'm late, I still get my projects completed by deadline.

Yep, just the one - but we're starting to have the conversation about when to try for the next one. Obviously that's a factor too. Both of our current bosses are pretty good about flexibility, but she probably wouldn't lose that in the new role either. As always, I'm inspired by how you keep it all together - I feel like I can't even handle the one kid by myself!

Ooooh, Roo! That sounds exciting!! She's in a very interesting position. I'm sure she'll do well regardless of her decision.
Sending good vibes to you and Mrs. Roo! That sounds awesome!
Sounds like a tricky choice! On the other hand, it sounds like both of your options are good ones, which is nice. Good luck with figuring out what to do.

Yeah, it's a very fortunate position to be in. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I really do have it pretty good. Thanks for the well wishes everyone - will let y'all know what ends up happening.

10/7/12

12 mile run (9:30 pace)

10/8/12

Back squats

3x5 @ 45 lbs

3x5 @ 95

5 @ 135

5 @ 175

5 @ 205

Front squats

3x5 @ 135 lbs

Overhead press

3x5 @ 45 lbs

3x5 @ 65

5 @ 85

5 @ 95

Planned to go for 13 miles yesterday, but the route I took had me pretty close to home after 12, and I wimped out and quit there. I really need to start thinking about fueling during the long runs, especially as they get even longer than this.

Nothing real special this morning. I was running late, so I didn't have a ton of time, but happy with what I got done. Week 2 summary to come.

Week two challenge recap

• Clean & jerk my bodyweight

Ugh, step backwards this week. No weightlifting class, and I didn't do as much technique work as I would have liked.
  • Run 5k in 23:36

Got all the scheduled runs in this week (even though I cut the long one short a mile). 7:35 per mile over 3+ miles still seems pretty fast, I'm not gonna lie.

• Go to bed at 10:30

5/6 this week, 11/12 overall. I was stuck at work until midnight on Monday, but otherwise went to bed on time every day. I'm finding this definitely cuts into "Roo time", so I have to pick and choose the things I do with my free time. Don't have time to watch the TV shows that Mrs Roo won't watch, and read, and work on the basement, etc (right now it's mostly been working on the basement). I picked up my Kindle last night to get back into A Clash of Kings, and I realized I had no idea what was going on. Lol, whoops. Also, as long as the Tigers are playing in Oakland, I'm going to be missing this mark on this goal - hopefully they get it done on Tuesday so it's only one strike on the goal. :)
  • Build a basement gym

Made good progress here this week. Platform is mostly built, and I finished banging together some shelves to I can actually organize the mess. The shelves were actually a project I started a couple challenges ago and never got back to. They aren't flashy like the office bookcases, but I'm happy with how they turned out:

Basementshelves.jpg

With those built, I can start getting the junk out of the "future gym" corner of the basement.

So altogether, decent week. Bummed that I missed weightlifting class, but hopefully I can make up for it this week.

Edited by msuroo

12 miles! Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy!

Seriously good job on the run.

Lol, 12 isn't so bad, but it's definitely getting up there. 26 still seems like crazy talk to me - like what the hell did I sign myself up for?! I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a second marathon in my future.

So...I fucking suck at snatching.

but

I'm miles ahead of where I was yesterday. I was tired, so I didn't have my best day at weightlifting class today, but I still love going. I'm starting to get a feel for the snatch positions, but I still have trouble putting everything together into a good lift. Every time I think about one cue, I screw something else up. Sometimes I luck into one where everything clicks, and the bar just flies up. I just need to spend a lot more time finding that groove (another reason to get this basement setup finished).

No detailed workout log, just a lot of snatches and jerks. One of these days I'll have to start paying attention, but for right now I'm not too worried - just trying to get the movements down.

PS, jdanger is legit - snatching 110 like a boss.

Also, 20 double-unders for the challenge when I got home. Wow, these are awful. Like, I have no problem tossing in a double-under into a set of single-unders, but I can't do them consistently. The most I could string together in a set was 3 (whereas I can usually string together 100+ single-unders). I'll keep trying, but at this rate I won't be a huge contributor to this challenge. :(

So...I fucking suck at snatching. [/qtuote]

Sad face :(

but

I'm miles ahead of where I was yesterday. I was tired, so I didn't have my best day at weightlifting class today, but I still love going. I'm starting to get a feel for the snatch positions, but I still have trouble putting everything together into a good lift. Every time I think about one cue, I screw something else up. Sometimes I luck into one where everything clicks, and the bar just flies up. I just need to spend a lot more time finding that groove (another reason to get this basement setup finished).

No detailed workout log, just a lot of snatches and jerks. One of these days I'll have to start paying attention, but for right now I'm not too worried - just trying to get the movements down.

Progress is progress. Don't get frustrated. I'm so intimidated by snatches (snicker), I think it's badass you're not only doing them, but getting coached and trying to perfect them. RAWR!

PS, jdanger is legit - snatching 110 like a boss.

Hell yeah he is. So jealous of your life.

Also, 20 double-unders for the challenge when I got home. Wow, these are awful. Like, I have no problem tossing in a double-under into a set of single-unders, but I can't do them consistently. The most I could string together in a set was 3 (whereas I can usually string together 100+ single-unders). I'll keep trying, but at this rate I won't be a huge contributor to this challenge. :(

I hear ya. I'll be happy to bring 20 total today. But I'm feeling somewhat better about them. I'm definitely jumping way too hard, and if I don't get that figured out, I'll be tapping out soon b/c my knees will start to hurt. Or my shins? One of the two. They won't be able to take the beating for too long!

Progress is progress. Don't get frustrated. I'm so intimidated by snatches (snicker), I think it's badass you're not only doing them, but getting coached and trying to perfect them. RAWR!

I'm not really frustrated yet...I made mega progress yesterday so I'm actually really excited about it (maybe too excited about it - I may or may not have spent my entire lunch hour today watching videos of good snatchers - and I can't wait to go home and work on my basement gym some more). I just have a long way to go yet. It's addicting stuff though, let me tell ya.

I hear ya. I'll be happy to bring 20 total today. But I'm feeling somewhat better about them. I'm definitely jumping way too hard, and if I don't get that figured out, I'll be tapping out soon b/c my knees will start to hurt. Or my shins? One of the two. They won't be able to take the beating for too long!

This is totally what I'm doing, and I don't even think I could have verbalized it until you said it. When I work a DU into a set of SUs, it's like one big jump and a flurry of the wrists to get the two turns. I need to figure out how to control a slower jumping pace with a faster turning pace.

I'm not really frustrated yet...I made mega progress yesterday so I'm actually really excited about it (maybe too excited about it - I may or may not have spent my entire lunch hour today watching videos of good snatchers - and I can't wait to go home and work on my basement gym some more). I just have a long way to go yet. It's addicting stuff though, let me tell ya.

Yay for that! And I coudln't tell if you were frustrated or not, I thought the "fucking suck at snatches" might be some frustration. It's tough to learn new stuff, but I bet it was also hard to learn to walk and not pee our pants. And look at us now!

This is totally what I'm doing, and I don't even think I could have verbalized it until you said it. When I work a DU into a set of SUs, it's like one big jump and a flurry of the wrists to get the two turns. I need to figure out how to control a slower jumping pace with a faster turning pace.

I think our brains are used to matching the turning speed with the jumping speed. So even if my jump should stay the same, because my wrists speed up the rest of my body freaks out and tries to over-compensate. If I could do 1 SU between every DU, I'd feel like I won the freaking lottery! Or even 2. Right now it's at least 4-5. And there's so much thinking going on in my head, it's exhausting. Probalby not un-similar to what's going on with snatches. Soon it'll be habit and I won't have to think about it. Right?