• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

msuroo

Roo's "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down" Challenge

Probalby not un-similar to what's going on with snatches. Soon it'll be habit and I won't have to think about it. Right?

videos?

Or, you know, practice.

Edited by weirdquark

videos?

Or, you know, practice.

Not sure why I didn't think of this - these were actually really helpful, thank you.

30 more last night, for a total of 50 so far. The best groove I could get into was 3 SUs between each DU - I managed 7 DUs in one set that way. Also tried again to do consecutive DUs, and hit 3 one more time, but that was it. I start picking my knees up when I try to string them together, which just throws everything out of whack (and is a whole lot more work than it needs to be).

My ankle started feeling pinchy after 30, so I called it a night there. I need to take care of my recovery business. :(

You're welcome! I'm glad they were helpful -- I was at work so only had a chance to look at the first couple while doing other things, so I didn't get to evaluate them all. (It was sort of work related... I'm answering reference questions, so I'm supposed to help people find resources.)

10/12/12

4 mile run (didn't wear the GPS, so not sure of pace, but pretty slow)

Ugh, these west coast baseball games are killing me. Thankfully, no matter who wins the other ALDS, it will be an east coast team, so hopefully reasonable start times for the ALCS. Anyway, good work by Verlander to get my Tigers past the A's, even if it did totally blow my bedtime goal this week (been up until 1:00 or so the last three nights).

Here's the bad news: My body hurts everywhere. On top of getting no sleep, I've been neglecting other recovery stuff this week (stretching, foam rolling, etc). My legs did not feel good running this morning, so I didn't push the pace at all. I don't feel injured, but it feels like if I don't sort out my business that I could be really soon. So yeah. Sleeping. Foam rolling. Gotta get on that.

Here's the good news: I've been staying productive on my basement project whilst robbing myself of sleep. Baseball is the one sport for me where listening on the radio is just as good (or even better in some cases*) as watching on TV, so rather than wasting away like a slug on the couch, I've been busy cleaning up the basement while the games were on. Huge huge progress.

*Especially these national broadcasts - the local radio guys are so much more fun to listen to.

WOW!!! I'm so impressed, as always. You do such great work around your house. Plus, I'm amped for your new workout area!

My legs are also killing me. Foam rolling doesn't seem to be working. I actually put some biofreeze on them last night thinking that might help (I don't really know what that stuff does, if it does anything but smell weird and burn). But my legs feel about the same today. Still sitting at 51 jumps.

WOW!!! I'm so impressed, as always. You do such great work around your house. Plus, I'm amped for your new workout area!

My legs are also killing me. Foam rolling doesn't seem to be working. I actually put some biofreeze on them last night thinking that might help (I don't really know what that stuff does, if it does anything but smell weird and burn). But my legs feel about the same today. Still sitting at 51 jumps.

I'm pretty pumped about the new workout area too. I've been meaning to ask you - hows that squat stand treating you? That's the one I'm leaning towards for myself.

Also, you've got me by one DU at the moment, didn't do any yesterday (and based on how my legs felt this morning, that was probably a good idea).

Week three challenge recap

Halfway there already huh? Man these things go fast.

• Clean & jerk my bodyweight

Made it to weightlifting class once this week, but not much lifting outside of it. Halfway in, I'm feeling 50/50 about this goal.
  • Run 5k in 23:36

Missed my long run this weekend, which I'm pretty bummed about. Doesn't necessarily affect my chances of hitting this goal, but the overarching goal of "finish the marathon" is still the number one priority. Gonna try and make up some miles this week.

• Go to bed at 10:30

2/6 this week, 13/18 overall. Yowch - not good. And I paid for it - will discuss more below.
  • Build a basement gym

The one bright spot for the week (see above)! I didn't quite get my platform finished, but the plan is to do it this week. I really need to get it done before Saturday, because I have a bunch of friends coming over for the UM/MSU football game and I'll need their help to move it (the thing is heavy). Also, Mrs Roo has signed off on letting me buy myself a squat stand for my birthday. I'm getting pretty excited about the prospect of actually being able to train the way I want.

Overall a C- kind of week. Work was suuuper busy, so I skipped a couple morning workouts in favor of getting into the office early. I piled on top of that by staying up really late every night (let me tell you, staying up until 1 and having your kid get up at 3 is not a recipe for success). Despite taking a few workouts off, the little bit of work I did do (jumping rope, etc) was really starting to hurt. I still wasn't feeling great by Sunday, and it was raining, and I was lazy - so I skipped my long run, which in retrospect I'm not really happy about. January is going to be here before I know it, and really the number one key to success is just going to be to get all the miles in.

Aaaaaanyway, I've finally got a couple nights in a row of decent sleep under my belt, so it's time to get back to it. Even though it's not really conducive to my 5k goal, I'm going to skip doing any speedwork this week and keep the running intensity low. I want to try and make up a few miles without pushing (read: hurting) myself. I also really really need to get under a barbell.

Edit to add: got to 130 total double-unders for the mini-challenge last week, but by the time I went to log them, the challenge was over and the next one was posted - whoops. Could never better than 3 SUs between each DU as a sustainable pace, but it's something I'd like to work on eventually!

Edited by msuroo

You win the DU-off! Nice work. I pretty much gave up entirely. I decided I needed my shins for running more than my crappy showing at DUs when it looked like there was no hope of the Warriors winning. So I'll admit I could have done much better. I did have a point where I did three SU-DU-SU-DU-SU-DU (single one of each). That was my shining moment. But you beat me by almost three times. Nice work!

And yay for the basement gym! I'm excited for how it's going to turn out!

Here's to more sleep. I'm tired reading about going to bed at 1 and getting up at 3. Yuck.

Updates!

10/16/12

Weightlifting class, yay. A lot of snatch drills (my snatch is still terrible), then clean & jerks. 40/45/48/50/53/55/58/60/63/65/68/70 (everything over 60kg being a new PR). I took a shot at 73, and got it up with a little bit of press-out on the jerk. Would have been red-lighted if it were competition, but we'll count it as a gym PR. Took a shot at 75, and stood up the clean (after failing once), but the jerk wasn't there. I managed to get it locked out overhead, but it wasn't pretty. Lots of hootin' and hollerin' in the gym when I knocked over the chalk bucket dropping it ("Take that chalk bucket!!"). Anyway, feeling iffy about the 77kg C&J goal. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hit the clean, but significantly less sure about the jerk. It's a little frustrating, because I feel like I should be able to get up more weight than I have so far, if I could just make myself move a liiiitle bit faster. I also think I might psych myself out a little bit at the heavier weights and rush them a little bit instead of getting a really good dip/drive. 2.5 weeks to go - we'll see how much progress I can make.

10/17/12

3 mile run. Nothing special, just a quick jog last night before the rain rolled in.

10/18/12

6 mile run. It's official - I've turned into an old man. I remember thinking once upon a time that I wished it were always daylight savings time, because I couldn't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't rather have that hour of daylight on the end of the day instead of the beginning (mostly because no matter when the same came up, it was always before I woke up). Well, strike that. Went for my run this morning and it was pitch ass black outside. Time to move the clocks back please. Anyway, my "run a lot of easy miles" plan is going swimmingly this week. Going to take tomorrow off and hit a long one on Saturday. Here's hoping the rain stays away.

Other tidbits

Getting a lot more sleep this week - feel mucho better. Man last week sucked. The weather gods actually did me a favor and rained out last nights Tigers game, so they'll play today at 4:00 instead. Good news for my bedtime goal. :)

This basement gym project is having positive impacts all over the house. I need both my miter saw and table saw in order to trim up the platform, and they were both buried in mountains of shit in the garage. No before pictures, but just imagine the before pictures from the basement, but with a lot more mulch and dog hair. Now I've got my little workshop back (and as an added bonus, I'm earning brownie points all over the place with Mrs Roo - she always hates it when ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶r̶a̶g̶e̶ anything is messy):

Garage.jpg

Last tidbit - my son has been walking for a while now, but by walking I really mean "having the ability to walk." His preferred method of transportation was still crawling, but this week that is starting to change. It's awesome in an obvious sense, cuz hey my kid is walking!! But it also means he's now starting to squat a lot (since that's how he gets up and down). I just love watching it, so much hip mobility!

NolanSquat.jpg

Nothing like watching your kid squat to give you a little extra motivation to do that MWOD you were thinking about skipping! And lastly one more bonus picture, just because it's cute and I'm a proud papa - love my two dudes!

NolanBreslin.jpg

6 mile run. It's official - I've turned into an old man. I remember thinking once upon a time that I wished it were always daylight savings time, because I couldn't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't rather have that hour of daylight on the end of the day instead of the beginning (mostly because no matter when the same came up, it was always before I woke up). Well, strike that. Went for my run this morning and it was pitch ass black outside. Time to move the clocks back please. Anyway, my "run a lot of easy miles" plan is going swimmingly this week. Going to take tomorrow off and hit a long one on Saturday. Here's hoping the rain stays away.

Nothing like watching your kid squat to give you a little extra motivation to do that MWOD you were thinking about skipping! And lastly one more bonus picture, just because it's cute and I'm a proud papa - love my two dudes!

NolanBreslin.jpg

Your two dudes are adorable.

Also, I'm with you on wanting to turn the clocks back -- I've been wanting to run in the morning because that's when I have time to myself and don't want to lose my ability to run 5K without stopping but it's been darker than I want to deal with at the time when I'd have to start in order to get back to the house on time.

Pitch ass black outside... love that. I can barely be motivated to get makeup on and out of the house while it's dark out (actually totally spaced on makup today), let alone get outside and run... you people are crazy! :)

Yay for brownie points and your cute family!

10/20/12

13.5 mile run (9:55 pace)

10/21/12

Lots of walking - probably 5-6 miles in total.

10/22/12

Back squats

3x5x45 lbs

3x5x95

1x5x135

1x5x155

1x5x175

1x4x205

Front squats

3x5x135

Overhead press

2x5x45

1x5x65

1x5x85

2x5x95

So I went for my first "longer than a half marathon" run this weekend (granted, not by much, but still longer than 13.1). It went fine (9:55 overall pace per the gps, but that included a few stoplights, a few potty breaks for the dog, and once to pick up/throw away dog poop - I'm guessing most of the running was between 9:30 and 9:45 per mile), but oof...26.2 is going to be looooooong. I'm honestly still trying to wrap my head around how far that is. Like, when I finished my first 10k, I thought - "well, a half marathon is basically that much more again - I can do that." But "that much more again" after 13 miles just seems way more daunting than it did after 6. Anyway, I guess you just tackle it the same way you eat an elephant - one bite at a time. 15 miler on the calendar for next weekend, then we'll go from there! :)

Did lots of walking yesterday to recover - it was really nice out so I got Mrs Roo and little man out for a while too.

Didn't have my best gym session this morning. It had actually been about two weeks since I've been in my regular gym just doing strength stuff - so I guess all things considered it could have been worse, but it was a grind. It's becoming harder and harder to get into the gym schedule wise - I really can't get this home gym set up fast enough, but more on that in the next post.

Awww! Your two little dudes are adorable. So much to be proud of! I also find myself being envious of my niece and nephew's hip mobility and their perfect squat form. I compliment them often on such things, and they look at me like I'm strange. But, it's true! One day they'll understand! :)

And your garage looks great! I half-cleaned mine when the weather cooled off (it tends to get pretty crappy out there inthe heat of the summer because I'm trying to avoid the heat of the summer). So I also appreciate a clean garage (and clean everything - but I only have myself to blame).

And I agree 26 miles sounds daunting. But you make things like six miles sound easy. So to me, daunting is 2 miles. :) I think you've got this whole marathon thing under control. And the basement and garage. You win at life!

Week four challenge recap

Eek - only two weeks left!

• Clean & jerk my bodyweight

Success at 70kg, almost success at 73, not so much at 75. 77 is gonna be tough.
  • Run 5k in 23:36

Followed my "run a lot of easy miles" plan to the letter this week. Really happy with it, but it's time to get back to the speedwork this week. In an good news/bad news sort of twist, we've now got some family coming up from Charlotte to visit us the weekend of 11/4. It's awesome, because we don't get to see them very much, but it also means I'll have to drop out of the 5k I was going to run. I'll still run a timed 5k that weekend, but there's nothing like an actual race setting to get the adrenaline pumping, so the time may not be as good.

• Go to bed at 10:30

6/6 this week, 19/24 overall. So much more sleeping this week - feel sooooo much better than last week.
  • Build a basement gym

I'm getting really excitedpants about this. My original goal was "quit my gym", which I actually did this morning, so I can go ahead and check that off the list. My basement gym isn't quite finished yet, but it definitely will be in the 30 days I have left on my regular gym membership, so I went ahead and gave them notice.

I had a grand plan to post a "how to build a weightlifting platform" thread in the knowledge base, but unfortunately my phone bit the dust, and a lot of the in-process pictures were lost - bummer. Here's what it looks like right now:

Platformnotrim.jpg

I'm going to put some trim around the edges, just to give it a more finished look. Here's some trim getting glued up:

glueuptrim.jpg

Before anyone asks the obvious question...no, I do not have enough clamps ;). There is literally no such thing as "enough clamps". I'm taking a router with a chamfer bit to both of the top edges of the trim - again to give it a more polished look. Sitting on the platform, it looks like this:

trimonplatform.jpg

Now...if nailing the trim on were all I had left, I'd be done by now. But alas, no - I changed my mind on the design. My original plan was to have that platform (which measures approximately 6' x 7.5') and a squat stand that I could bring on when I needed, then take off when I didn't (ie, pulling from the floor). Then I got to thinking, well - my pullup bar is currently hanging in a part of the basement that I would like to finish eventually - why not get a squat stand with a pullup bar? That thing is starting to get a little large and in charge though - more than I really want to be moving back and forth every workout. So I started thinking about fixed mounted options - like this. With something like that, I could have the uprights right near the edge of my platform, and just leave it there full-time. The overall footprint was getting to be a little big for my space though. I finally settled on a power rack. More money than I was originally planning to spend, but I didn't want to buy the squat stand and end up needing to replace it for an all-in-one solution once I finished the basement - so, yeah. Anyway, it'll be here tomorrow - very very very pumped. I need to change the design of the platform to accommodate (extending the wooden part out another two feet to go inside the rack - and since I'm a perfectionist, this will mean replacing the sheet with a new 8' sheet), but I'm hoping to have it all set up this weekend. The other things I would like to have by the end of the challenge are 1) a set of change plates (so I can make weight jumps smaller than 10kg at a time), and 2) a bumper plate rack (going to build this - probably out of pvc).

Edited by msuroo

Oh man!! I'm excitedpants, too!! That's freaking awesome! It looks SOOOOOO great!

I want to learn to build stuff like this. I wish I'd enrolled in shop class in high school rather than wasting my time on things like "teacher's aide" or, hell, even home ec, since I never learned much there as compared to with my mom.

The platform looks great; polished indeed. And it looks like you're making good progress on your other goals!

Thanks - I've been really happy with this challenge so far. Even if I don't make my C&J and 5k goals, I'll still feel like I got some good work in, which is really the point anyway.

Roo... I may have to track you down someday and make you build me a lovely platform like you have here.... That is awesome!

Well, if you ever make your way out of SD...:)

Seriously though, this is a pretty simple project. Since I love building stuff, I put more work into it than would otherwise be required to be functional (mostly an excuse to use a bunch of tools that would otherwise sit dormant), but you can throw together a good working platform with some plywood, horse stall mats, and a cordless drill.

Oh man!! I'm excitedpants, too!! That's freaking awesome! It looks SOOOOOO great!

I want to learn to build stuff like this. I wish I'd enrolled in shop class in high school rather than wasting my time on things like "teacher's aide" or, hell, even home ec, since I never learned much there as compared to with my mom.

Like I said, this one is pretty easy. But in general, building stuff isn't that hard. I never actually took a shop class or anything either - the first thing I ever built was my poker table:

ptsmall.jpg

I just did lots of research and took it really slow (the adage goes something like "measure twice, cut once" - for me it's more like "measure 4 times, still manage to screw it up, buy another piece of wood, then cut once"). But there's really nothing you can't learn to build from YouTube these days. The other thing that helped my confidence a lot was watching my house get built. Since we bought our house new, I got to see the whole process from hole in the ground to finished house...and it really took a lot of the mystery out of it. Like, it's just some 2x4s and some drywall. If I try a home improvement project and screw up, what's the worst that happens - I have to patch some drywall? Big deal! When I was building the bookcases for example, Mrs Roo was getting really nervous when I started pulling trim off the walls and ripping carpet off the floors. She saw this:

0072.jpg

and thought "well, now what happens if you can't do it?" *Shrug*, I would have tucked tail, repainted the wall, nailed up some new trim, and paid some dude to replace the carpet. It would have been an expensive experiment, to be sure, but it's not like the house was ever in danger of being ruined. (For those of you who weren't following along a few challenges ago - I did not tuck tail, and instead built some totally kickass bookcases).

Anyway, the moral of the story is - if you want to build something, just give it a shot! I bet you'd surprise yourself!

Anyway, the moral of the story is - if you want to build something, just give it a shot! I bet you'd surprise yourself!

Ooooh! Now i want to build! Do you just peruse random YouTube videos? Or is there a more reputable source? I really want to put a bar in my basement, and REALLY want to do it myself, even if it takes YEARS. I've laid tile before, and I've helped replace counter tops, and I've helped put in a new cabinet. So it's all stuff I've done, but still get intimidated. Maybe I just need to start SOMEWHERE and get going. None of that is building .I'm not sure what I'd build. I loved your bookshelves, though. So maybe that's an idea.

New project: Find a project to make a project. Ready? BREAK!