Roo's "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down" Challenge

msuroo

Ooooh! Now i want to build! Do you just peruse random YouTube videos? Or is there a more reputable source? I really want to put a bar in my basement, and REALLY want to do it myself, even if it takes YEARS. I've laid tile before, and I've helped replace counter tops, and I've helped put in a new cabinet. So it's all stuff I've done, but still get intimidated. Maybe I just need to start SOMEWHERE and get going. None of that is building .I'm not sure what I'd build. I loved your bookshelves, though. So maybe that's an idea.

New project: Find a project to make a project. Ready? BREAK!

Bar in the basement - excellent idea (and one I fully plan on implementing as part of my basement finishing project). I'm packing up at work shortly, but I'll dig you up some resources tonight.

The platform looks crazyawesomepants!

Thanks! I'd say I can't wait to show you guys the finished product - and while that would be a true statement, what I really can't wait for is to use it! It's not doing anyone any good sitting up on sawhorses!

Oh no! Don't waste your free time on me! I'll do some research! It's a long-term project anyway.

Lol, it's all research I've done already anyway - I never did get my computer fired up last night, but there's some good resources out there. I'll get to them eventually. :)

YGHA.jpg

There may be four words out there I like reading in succession more than "your gear has arrived" - but I sure don't know what they are.

Ran home at lunch to meet the UPS Freight guy. I now have a pile of awesome sitting in my garage:

RogueShipment.jpg

Minor frustration:

We (me and the truck driver) opened up the skid while it was still on the truck and took the pieces in one by one since it was too long for his pallet jack. He hands down the uprights to the rack and says "just set them in the grass so you don't scratch them up and I'll help you take them in - you want them to look nice, right?" I take the rest of the boxes in while he is buttoning up the truck and start carrying one of the uprights in. "Whoa whoa whoa, let me help you with that!" he says. As we are walking it in, he drops his end on the driveway nicking one of the corners.

Male16-male-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000099-large.gif

Yes dude, I do want them to look nice, and I had it perfectly fine by myself. It's a small scratch, and it's in a spot I'll never see (and the thing will get plenty of scratches just during use anyway), but I wasn't happy.

Major frustration:

I'm back at work, and the rack is sitting disassembled in my garage. This is a suboptimal situation.

Almostthere.jpg

Not quite functional yet, but you get the general idea. I still need to tighten up all of the bolts in the rack (despite owning what I think is a pretty complete set of tools, I don't have a socket big enough for the bolts that came with this thing) and bolt the rack to the platform. Also need to get the trim nailed on, but that's just a cosmetic thing.

I'm going to need to recruit some help to get the rack bolted to the platform, which unfortunately means it may not be ready to use until the weekend. I managed to get it where it is by assembling it place, but there's no way I can move it by myself. (Speaking of which - I'm really glad I didn't opt for the squat stand version. I certainly wasn't going to want to be moving it back and forth every workout.)

Getting really close though!

10/25/12

Weightlifting class!

Some stretching, some getting loose, some drills. Then:

3 position clean + jerk (High hang, above the knee, from the floor)

30/30/35/35/40/40/45

2 power jerks + split jerk

20/20/20/30/30/35/35/40/40

Overhead squats

40/45/50/53/55/58/60 (with some repeated and/or failed weights mixed in there)

Man I love weightlifting class. So much. I feel like my clean technique is getting better. Still not perfect every time, but the average attempt is a lot better than it used to be, and every once in a while I'll really nail it. Once I get the platform all finished up (tomorrow!), I'll be able to spend a lot more time doing technique work. I think that's what I need the most of - just lots and lots and lots of reps.

So...overhead squats. These are a weird beast. It's like they're so hard but so easy at the same time. If I get the bar in the right groove, it keeps itself balanced and the whole thing is a piece of cake. If I don't, even by a little bit, then I lose it. I also think I have some mobility issues here - my back started rounding when I got too deep, which almost always led to losing the rep. I'm used to always squatting a2g, so not being able to get all the way down there was a little frustrating. Oh yeah, and I fell on my tuchus during the first rep at 40 kilos - that's always fun.

Fun tidbit: The crossfit box where I go to class had a vertical leap tester set up yesterday so everyone could test their max jump. Just as I was about to leave, curiosity got the best of me and I decided I had to try it. I managed to hit 29.75" (which must have been one of the better attempts of the day - I wasn't watching the whole time, but I didn't see a better one). Jdanger moved it up a notch so I that I needed 30" to hit the first slat, and despite trying a couple times, I couldn't hit it (soooooooo close though). It drew a bunch of wide eyed stares from around the gym though, just having it set up that high (and damn did I really want to get it with everyone watching).

Anyway, it was neat. I have no idea how legitimate this article (or the study that it references) is, but it apparently says a 29.75" jump puts me above the 95th percentile for reasonably fit males. And this article says that that I'm above the average for NBA players! My fitness has come a long way in the past year, but I'm not the strongest or the fastest or the best at anything. So to find that I can apparently jump pretty high was fun for me. I'm not quite sure how to improve this (though I'm guessing olympic lifting sure isn't going to hurt), but I really want that 30" slat next time. :)

10/26/12

Snatch practice

~8 muscle snatches @ 20kg

~3x6 tall snatches @ 20

~3x3 high hang snatches @ 20

~3x3 above the knee snatches @ 20

~5x2 full snatches @ 25

Front squats

(Didn't keep track of warmup sets)

5x3 @ 70

Neutral grip pullups

3x6 @ BW

First workout in my home gym - yay! Actually did this before I bolted the rack down - thankfully it didn't tip over or anything on me :). I got the rack bolted down on Saturday, so the platform is basically all finished. I still have some cleanup to do (I made a wicked mess of sawdust/woodchips counter-boring the bolts for the rack), but once I get it all cleaned up I'll post some "finished" pictures. I also need some change plates pretty soon, but other than that I'm basically off and running.

10/28/12

15 mile run (9:56 pace)

Oof. Still feeling this one. 15 miles is a long fucking way. The run actually started out great - my legs felt good, and my pace was quicker than I was expecting (without even pushing for it). I got through the first 9 miles running mostly between 9:15 and 9:30, and feeling pretty good about myself. Then I turned around to come home. And realized why it was so easy to that point. So. Much. Wind. In. The. Face. Those last 6 miles were soooooo tough. I made it though, phew. Backoff week next weekend, thankfully (where I'll get the timed 5k in), then up to 17 the following week. Still a long freakin' way from 26.2.

Week five challenge recap

Getting down to the wire!

• Clean & jerk my bodyweight

I'm trying to psych myself up for this mentally. I feel like if I can just make my feet and arms move fast enough, I can do this.
  • Run 5k in 23:36

Cautiously optimistic here - I feel like maybe I can do it, but I really wish I was still running in an actual race this weekend. Running by myself with a stopwatch just isn't the same. Either way, I'm happy with the work I've gotten in, which was really the point anyway.

• Go to bed at 10:30

4/6 this week, 23/30 overall. Stupid World Series. At least it's over - shooting for a 6/6 week to bring it home.
  • Build a basement gym

Well this goal is pretty much smashed :). It's been functional for a total of 2 days, and I'm already in love with it. Last night, for example, I did a few sets of squats at 40 and 50kg, just to get some feeling back in my legs after the long run. Just having that ability is freaking awesome.

So, overall, a pretty good week - but of course this week is the real litmus test for progress. Oh yeah, and I'm celebrating the 2nd anniversary of my 29th birthday today (AKA, my 31st birthday). Of course, my grand scheme to stay 29 forever is failing, but I keep trying.

Week five challenge recap

Getting down to the wire!

• Clean & jerk my bodyweight

I'm trying to psych myself up for this mentally. I feel like if I can just make my feet move fast enough, I can do this.
  • Run 5k in 23:36

Cautiously optimistic here - I feel like maybe I can do it, but I really wish I was still running in an actual race this weekend. Running by myself with a stopwatch just isn't the same. Either way, I'm happy with the work I've gotten in, which was really the point anyway.

• Go to bed at 10:30

4/6 this week, 23/30 overall. Stupid World Series. At least it's over - shooting for a 6/6 week to bring it home.
  • Build a basement gym

Well this goal is pretty much smashed :). It's been functional for a total of 2 days, and I'm already in love with it. Last night, for example, I did a few sets of squats at 40 and 50kg, just to get some feeling back in my legs after the long run. Just having that ability is freaking awesome.

So, overall, a pretty good week - but of course this week is the real litmus test for progress. Oh yeah, and I'm celebrating the 2nd anniversary of my 29th birthday today (AKA, my 31st birthday). Of course, my grand scheme to stay 29 forever is failing, but I keep trying.

You rock so much!

I thought I was the only one that celebrated anniversaries of 29th birthdays!!! This year will be the 6th for me!

Nice job on the running! After mastering the 5K without stopping I briefly thought about trying for 10K but then thought "don't wanna run for an hour" and decided to stick with improving or at least maintaining the 5K.

I have a friend who really likes the age 27 and so started celebrating their 27th birthday several years before actually turning 27 and plans to continue celebrating their 27th birthday until their mid thirties or so when they may switch to 37 instead. :)

I just want to say that your rack platform is beautiful... like tears-in-the-eyes beautiful! Jealous!

And 15 MILES????!!!!! Jeez, I'm pretty sure my legs would just fall off and say "no more!" at around 5 miles.

And happy almost/already happened 29th birthday :D

Your birthday's the day after mine. I proudly celebrated my 33rd birthday. Although I told someone it was my 34th birthday. It's so confusing in the 30s when there are no longer really any landmarks. I will say, I have enjoyed my 30s more than my 20s, so I wouldn't go back to the 29th birthday (or the drama of the 30th). So I guess I would be happy staying 31. Scorpios are the best, no? ;) Anyway, happy birthday!

Also, hell yeah on your rack and platform (again). I'm so jealous!

And hello NBA-caliber jumper! I'm jealous. Do you have hang time then? I'm always jealous of people who seem to float midair. It's as close as you can get to flying without jumping out of a plane!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

You rock so much!

I thought I was the only one that celebrated anniversaries of 29th birthdays!!! This year will be the 6th for me!

Honestly, my life is as good as it's ever been - and I wouldn't go back if given the option. But it's still fun to joke about! :)

Nice job on the running! After mastering the 5K without stopping I briefly thought about trying for 10K but then thought "don't wanna run for an hour" and decided to stick with improving or at least maintaining the 5K.

I have a friend who really likes the age 27 and so started celebrating their 27th birthday several years before actually turning 27 and plans to continue celebrating their 27th birthday until their mid thirties or so when they may switch to 37 instead. :)

Hmm, I almost like this plan better. I like the sound of 32. I just decided that I'm 32 instead of 31.

I just want to say that your rack platform is beautiful... like tears-in-the-eyes beautiful! Jealous!

And 15 MILES????!!!!! Jeez, I'm pretty sure my legs would just fall off and say "no more!" at around 5 miles.

And happy almost/already happened 29th birthday :D

Lol, my legs said "no more" around 11, but I was still 4 miles from home - no other option but to get there! (I learned this lesson the hard way - don't set up your route such that you are close to home but still have miles left to run. Waaaay too easy to talk yourself into stopping early.)

Way to go on the week! Glad you're loving the home gym!

Thanks!

Your birthday's the day after mine. I proudly celebrated my 33rd birthday. Although I told someone it was my 34th birthday. It's so confusing in the 30s when there are no longer really any landmarks. I will say, I have enjoyed my 30s more than my 20s, so I wouldn't go back to the 29th birthday (or the drama of the 30th). So I guess I would be happy staying 31. Scorpios are the best, no? ;) Anyway, happy birthday!

Also, hell yeah on your rack and platform (again). I'm so jealous!

And hello NBA-caliber jumper! I'm jealous. Do you have hang time then? I'm always jealous of people who seem to float midair. It's as close as you can get to flying without jumping out of a plane!

Yeah, like I said above - my 30s have been great so far, but it's a fun joke. Happy birthday to you too!

And I certainly don't feel like an NBA caliber jumper. I can't dunk a basketball or anything (or at least, I couldn't last time a tried a few years ago). I'm also one of the least graceful people I know, so I doubt I "float" - "flail" is probably a better word :).

10/30/12

Back squat

3x5 @ 20kg

3x5 @ 40

5 @ 60

5 @ 80

5 @ 90

RDL

3x5 @ 60

OHP

3x5 @ 20

Push press

3x5 @ 40

<3 my gym. Definitely gonna need some change plates, but made do this morning with the plates I had. Also gonna need some chalk. Never needed it at my globo gym since the bars were all like cheese graters anyway. Much softer knurling on my bar (which I'm happy about), but yeah - chalk. It's gonna take some adjusting time to think about all of my lifts in kilos, but I already kind of like the roundness of the numbers.

I'm also thinking about not putting the trim on the platform. I mean, it would look good - but it's perfectly functional at is. It's not huge (as weightlifting platforms go), and I'm not sure I want to give up the 1.5" around the edges. Also, it would create a slightly raised edge (only 1/4", but still) and I'm not sure I want to be tripping over that stepping on and off of it. I may try to find a temporary way to put it on so I can take it for a test drive before I fire up the nail gun. We'll see I guess.

Did I mention that I loved my new gym yet? No? I love my new gym! :)

Did a bunch of snatch practice last night after Mrs Roo and little man went to bed. Footwork drills, tall snatches, high hang snatches, above the knee snatches. Feeling better about the hip action, but still need to pull under more aggressively. Must do more tall snatches. Did a few full snatches from the floor at 25kg, then a few at 40kg. Failed twice, hit it twice, then called it a night.

It's been cold and rainy all week, so I still haven't run yet. Will try to get out there once all the trick-or-treating wraps up.

Hey little man, what sounds does a monkey make?

So Halloween was fun. We only took him to one house, but he had a lot of fun passing out candy. It was funny because most of the trick-or-treaters were in a big hurry to collect the ph4t l3wtz and move on to the next house, but little man would get frustrated when they would leave before he could put a piece of candy in the bag too, so we had to hold some kids up.

Way behind on running this week. Thank goodness I don't have a long one scheduled for the weekend - so I'll at least have next week to build my mileage back up before the 17 miler next weekend (yikes).

I have been spending some time every night doing some snatch work - it's a definite work in process. Being month-end, I've been busy at work and thus couldn't make weightlifting class this week, but gonna try to get to the snatch day next week. I really really want to get competent at these. In that vein, I have a new favorite quote:

Snatching is a bitch. It simply isn't like any other lift in the gym. Getting good at the snatch is nothing like getting good at the squat. It is more like getting good at the piano.

In fact - I think that's going in my sig right now. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines