• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

msuroo

Roo's "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down" Challenge

Ok, video time. If I have some time today, I'll try and mess around with these in Kinovea. PS, felt really strong yesterday - kinda wanted to pr the c&j again, but Mrs Roo was getting a little fed up with the clangor (and little man was sleeping), so I stopped with these.

40kg snatch from the front:

40kg snatch from the side:

Edited by msuroo

So overall, feeling pretty good about the C&J. I didn't get great hip action on the one from the side, but at 65kg, it ended up not mattering. The one from the front felt a lot better, but you can't really see the difference from that angle. On the jerks, my back heel has a tendency to turn in, which is suboptimal. It's an easy fix when I'm thinking about it, but you can see that fault made it's way into these lifts. Otherwise the jerks felt (and I think look) pretty darn good.

Still not there on the snatch, but it's getting better. Really need to get the bar deeper into the hips - you can see how far out in front it gets after the (not very good) hip drive.

PS, I just love the receiving positions of the lifts. I'd be lying if I said that pictures like these:

8169485809_28dc41bbe1.jpg

8169486333_6e5d52d7c8.jpg

8169486083_87fb9980cd.jpg

didn't make me feel like a little bit of a badass. Also interesting to me as that my clean catch position is better than my front squat, and my snatch catch position is waaaay better than my overhead squat. But that's a story for another day.

Good job posting vids!! Your frontward facing jerk portion looked a little uncomfortable on your back foot. I know you said it looked clean and definitely the second one looks awesome, but the frontward one looks like you couldn't hold it for very long. I figure it's something that will be fixed with time. Just got to feel more solid!

Way to get down into the lift on your snatch!

Good job posting vids!! Your frontward facing jerk portion looked a little uncomfortable on your back foot. I know you said it looked clean and definitely the second one looks awesome, but the frontward one looks like you couldn't hold it for very long. I figure it's something that will be fixed with time. Just got to feel more solid!

Way to get down into the lift on your snatch!

Thanks! I think the camera angle makes the jerk look weird on the first one. You'll notice I bounce out of the second one just as quickly as the first one, so it's not really a matter of being able to hold it very long. As I mentioned before, my heel turns in, so I lose a little bit of stability there, but that's an easy fix when I'm thinking about it.

Also watching them back again, it does look like my weight is shifting forward a bit on the dip/drive (on both lifts) - so that's something to keep in mind.

Point taken. I'm not a great person to talk to because my snatch sucks, but you're doing really well. I think you could bring in the the bar path on the snatch. It may be too far out there. I don't know you're too fast :P I tried pausing it lol.

It looks like your trajectory path might be a little far forward. Is this light weight for you? That can cause it. It can also cause hips not firing optimally. I have to say though overall your form on beginning and finish is awesome. I'm jealous of your snatches ending. No balance issues. Arms aren't too far back. Just seems like something is missing on the inbetween. Once again it's still better than mine. :P

It looks like your trajectory path might be a little far forward. Is this light weight for you? That can cause it. It can also cause hips not firing optimally. I have to say though overall your form on beginning and finish is awesome. I'm jealous of your snatches ending. No balance issues. Arms aren't too far back. Just seems like something is missing on the inbetween. Once again it's still better than mine. :P

It definitely gets forward after the bar passes the hips. Here it is at quarter speed with bar tracking. The vertical line at the start of the video fades (since I suck at Kinovea), but you can see that while I do a decent job of bringing the bar in off the floor, it still gets out in front of that line. It's honestly not as bad as I thought it was watching it at full speed though - just something to keep working on. (And yeah, hips definitely not firing optimally.)

Right click on the line and select persistence. Then unclick the default (20 frames) check box and set it either to always on or change the number of frames it appears. Happy Kinovea-ing :)

Ok nevermind your bar path is actually excellent. Definitely helped my view when you slowed it down!! Excellent job!! Now just work on those hips so you can increase weight nicely!!

Ok, now the C&J. On the clean, I do a better job of not getting out in front, but I still think I can pull the bar farther back into me. Also, as discussed in Laura's thread, I'm not delivering my hips all the way through.

Suspicion confirmed on the jerk - I got a little forward on the dip as opposed to staying back on my heels. Not too bad though, and the vertical-to-slightly-backward bar path on the upward movement is a good thing I think.

Congrats on the nomination!

Whoa, just saw this - thanks everyone! Honestly, everyone does so well at these things (even when things don't go as originally planned, people learn and adapt and adjust goals on the fly) that it's an honor to be nominated.

So, tough run today. Like, really really tough. 17 miles, and I was totally completely out of gas by the end. I have no idea where I'm supposed to find another 9 miles from. Today was the first time that "oh shit, I may not finish" crossed my mind. Forget my four hour goal, I was worried about finishing at all.

I'm trying to be rational - I didn't fuel or rest well this weekend, it was unseasonably warm, and the winds were 20-30 mph. The cards were stacked against me from the start. I'm going to plan the details better for the next long one, and hope for some more favorable weather, and we'll see how it goes. (Hopefully the answer is "a lot better", because a repeat of today on race day and I don't know if I finish.)

Anyway, I'm tired as balls and I hurt all over, so it's bedtime for this guy. Can't wait to share new goals tomorrow!