10 Things New Women Weightlifters Should Know

msuroo

This is awesome! It's super nice to have other girls to lift with, I feel like I'm still getting over the whole "being a girl among all the scary guys at the gym" deal, and walking into the weight room with one of my girls who can kick their ass is definitely reassuring.

Also, I agree. Lulu is ridiculous. I'd rather splurge and buy a really nice dress or shoes. Target FTW!

This is awesome! It's super nice to have other girls to lift with, I feel like I'm still getting over the whole "being a girl among all the scary guys at the gym" deal, and walking into the weight room with one of my girls who can kick their ass is definitely reassuring.

Also, I agree. Lulu is ridiculous. I'd rather splurge and buy a really nice dress or shoes. Target FTW!

Give it time you will get use to "being a girl among all the scary guys at the gyms". I don't know if its the same at other other gyms, but I get hi's or small waves from some of the guys as they walk in, and their pretty nice and good to have around when someone leaves a disk that you can't lift on the barbell in the rack you want to use, or if you need a spotter

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Nice tips :)

The only workout clothes I will spend a bit more money on are bras. My ladies need the support! Other than that, it's all Old Navy, Target, Marshall's, whatever I can find that is cheap.

Ann Taylor Loft used to have these "Julie" fit pants that were meant for "curvy" women. I wonder if they still have them, and if they would work for lady lifters?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Truth!

Ugh... I completely love the owners of my gym, but the woman just became an "official Lulu ambassador" whatever the fuck that means.

It means she gets a sweet industry discount and all she has to do is wear Lulu stuff to a class or mention how much she likes the brand to clients.

I personally do my workout clothes shopping at Winners or TJ Maxx. I'm a Adidas fiend

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Confession: I own Lulu clothes.

However, I see people everywhere with the lululemon brand and it's kind of ridiculous. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I've found that triathletes are some of the biggest label whores I've ever met. Perhaps it's just the people I know, but everyone has the newest shoes, clothes, sunglasses, $5000 bikes, etc. Priorities people, get them.

My bottomline is: if they fit and you like them, get it. Otherwise, move on. I've tried some seriously expensive brands and they suck (and are also made for women who aren't 6ft and 165 lbs). I've also tried on tons and tons of tights, capris, yoga pants, and none of them fit like the lulu ones did. 

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

That's why I like Adidias climacool or climawarm style clothing, I know it really works for the activities I do and I love them for it. Specific cross country skiing pants can get pretty expensive but the cute climawarm leggings I have are fleeced on the inside an water resistant on the outside so they're perfect for running or skiing in snow when I am really working up a sweat.

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

yeah, I am cheap, cheap, cheap. I buy my workout clothes at walmart when they are on clearance.... I don't know if I have even HEARD of lulu...

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

I'm one of those people who believes that women shouldn't have to look any specific way when they workout, they should be comfortable. If that means bright colors or a specific brand then great. For me it is soccer shorts that were my little brother's uniform shorts when he was 8... oh well.

Can anyone reccomend good cold weather running clothes? I just started running this summer and don't want to be limited to the treadmill come winter. I noticed the Adiddas comment above and will be looking into those. Thanks ladies!

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

If you aren't in a place that is too terribly cold, I would just wear thick tights under your running pants... If you are in a place like where I am, with serious wind chill factors, then I would look into ski clothes... many of the runners here in Laramie run in ski suits.

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Thanks, I'm in Chicago so we get snow and cold and wind. I assume on the worst days I will either give myself extra rest time or suck it up and run on the boring as hell tredmill. But I don't want to give up my outside time completely. Also can anyone reccomend any good gear for running before the sun comes up? I live in the city so there will be cars out and I don't want to get to intimate with one. You all are the best!

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Great tips! I have to admit, I'm with Spezzy on prefering to train with men. I find the level of competitiveness and 'get it done' mentality compliment my attitude. Having said that, I LOVE my once-a-week Oly lift female partner. We give each other applause and cries of "bravo!" for good lifts :)

This x1000. Must keep an eye out for stretchy skinny jeans....

On a side note about the waist gap issue, I already have big hips/bum and always had the gapping trouble. I recently found Levi jeans that are built with this issue in mind. You can get them for "bold curves" and it's the first pair I've ever worn that I don't have to wear a belt to conceal the gap. Plus they're pretty stretchy, so may help with the thigh issues. Perhaps these will work for the other weight-lifting ladies out there. Either that or take your good jeans to a tailor and have the waist taken in.

Levis have been a godsend to me once I found their "demi curves" size. They are pretty pricey but soooo worth it, especially as i can get away with wearing black jeans for work (even skinny ones!).

Half-Orc Warrior (Level 1)

STR 3, DEX 1, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 3, CHA 3

Thanks, I'm in Chicago so we get snow and cold and wind. I assume on the worst days I will either give myself extra rest time or suck it up and run on the boring as hell tredmill. But I don't want to give up my outside time completely. Also can anyone reccomend any good gear for running before the sun comes up? I live in the city so there will be cars out and I don't want to get to intimate with one. You all are the best!

Yeah, that is pretty similar to Laramie... except more snow. 

This might give you some ideas though =D

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/ua-coldgear/womens

http://m.adidas.com/us/mobile/product/womens-running-sequencials-brushed-long-tights/TL353?cid=W40740&breadcrumb=

These are the ones I picked up (but from Winners so they were $40). Love them to death since I'm a Northern Ontario girl and I can wear these running up to when I have to switch to treadmills or inside tracks.

Thanks all! I'm going to have to look into them! I will hit up some local sports stores and see if they carry either style to see what best fits my too-long-for-my-body legs. You both rock!

Try the mens. I tried on some womens running tights and ended up having to buy the XL because they're compression tights. I'm about 6ft and 165 lbs. They're kind of short on me still. If I ever buy some again, I'll try the mens.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5