Necion's Newbie Quest

Necion

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've decided to give this 6-week challenge thing a shot, so here it goes.

Goal #1: Curbing alcohol abuse

This is a big one, and it's going to take a while. All I want is to make a few more steps in the right direction.

Reward: +1 WIS, +1 CON

Milestone: Limit myself to one drink a day or less.

Goal #2: Warrior Training 101. HIIT 2-3x a week, bodyweight circuits 3-4x a week.

Reward: +1 STA for HIIT, +1 STR for bodyweight, an additional +1 END if I do both.

Milestone: 10 pullups in a row.

Goal #3: Wizard Training 101. Master the ways of magic...I mean, science.

Reward: +1 WIS and I get to dual-class as a mage.

Milestone: Make significant progress to publishing in a scientific journal.

Goal #4: Connect with some other orc clans. Attend meetups & other social events, make some new friends.

Reward: +2 CHA.

Milestone: Dating, if it's something I feel comfortable doing.

Most likely my success in #4 and #3 will predict my success with #1. We'll see.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Necion, Orc, level 1 warrior/level 1 wizard

STR 4.5|DEX 3|STA 2.5|CON 3.5|WIS 3|CHA 5

[/TABLE]

Welcome! Awesome goals. Definitely impressed by the scientific publication. I wish I could science.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Sorry, I'm a noob and didn't know people wanted updates! Your support means a lot to me, so thank you.

Update: This one's going MUCH easier than I expected. I had a pretty good diet and exercise routine before I started drinking heavily, so in a way these first three goals is just a form of backtracking. I've been limiting my intake and have done many things, in addition to exercise, to limit my chances of regressing.

Goal #2: Warrior Training 101. HIIT 2-3x a week, bodyweight circuits 3-4x a week.

Update: This one is also going very well. I've already hit my milestone of 10 pullups in a row. Maybe I need a new challenge?

Update: I've run into some technical problems on this one, but it's a big learning process for me. Besides getting data for publication, I've also applied for some scientific grants and awards - if I can get one, that'd be a rather nice feather in my cap.

Goal #4: Connect with some other orc clans. Attend meetups & other social events, make some new friends.

Update: Been to a few meetups, notably a group that got me into anime. I also adopted two kittens so I won't feel so lonely when I'm at home. Additional meetups pending when I have more free time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

I enjoy that you got kittens. Does this mean you'll include photos periodically? ^^

I'm glad you decided to update and tell us how things are going. How did you get so many pull ups in a row?

Congrats on how far you've gotten though!! ^^

LVL 2 Warrior

STR: 6 | DEX: 2 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 | CH: 3

Post Challenge Report:

Reward: +1 WIS, +1 CON (Milestone: Limit myself to one drink a day or less)

Grade: Alot more sober. Previously less sober. Though I technically didn't reach the milestone, I probably averaged 1/day, which works for me. +1 W, +1 C.

I thought this one would be more challenging than it really was; as long as I'm distracted by work or hobbies, I was fairly OK, just sort of depressed sometimes. However, improving my sleep helped immensely with my depression, which helped immensely with my mood, which helped immensely with my sobriety. It all begins at the source.

Reward: +1 STA for HIIT, +1 STR for bodyweight, an additional +1 END if I do both (Milestone: 10 pullups in a row)

Grade: Wasn't very consistent, but I did work out at least a few times per week. Still managed to pull off the milestone (I think I'm up to 12). +0.5 for all.

Reward: +1 WIS and I get to dual-class as a mage (Milestone: Make significant progress to publishing in a scientific journal)

Grade: Applied for a competitive grant and have been working hard at the bench but this takes time. I can cast fireball and magic missile, but I've still a way to go before time stop and meteor swarm. +1W and a wizard hat.

Reward: +2 CHA (Milestone: Dating, if it's something I feel comfortable doing)

Grade: I gave this a shot with a few different new groups, but willingly cut it out a few weeks ago. Actually, I deleted my facebook and OKCupid accounts since I felt like neither were making feel better about myself. The effort's worth more than the results in this case, I think, so +2C.

Side Quest #1: Wizard's Familiars. I've two kittens now to keep me company. On a side note, anyone know of good-quality cat food? I just picked up some Evo food & Primal raw meats after learning how Friskies & Iams are the pet equivalent of a corn-and-grain diet, but I'd appreciate any advice from seasoned cat owners.

Side Quest #2: Getting better sleep. Tried a bunch of different supplements, and melatonin has worked the best so far. It also comes in a yummy peppermint pill. I'll be doing more self-experimentation to see if other supplements actually make a difference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Looks like you did great for your first challenge! Remember, it's not about being perfect it's about progressing in the right direction, which it sounds like you did. Great job!

What kind of article are you trying to get published, what field of science? Just curious ;)

Level 6 Half-Pony Warrior Assassin
STR 9.5 | DEX 6 | STA 12.5 | CON 12.5 | WIS 15.5 | CHA 13.5
Current Challenge: Working out for two

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something" - Jake the Dog

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines