• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ancalagon The Black

Ancalagon The Black's "Fire Starter" Challenge

Hello Fellow Nerds/Geeks,

I have been a lurker for far too long and it seems that I ought to play the RPG that is my life better. I just started out on my "getting-back-to-fitness" journey and am so far focusing on strength. I have started with a variation of the 5X5 program and I think I am transitioning from the utter n00b to the advanced beginner phase. My starting stats are as follows:

Name: Ancalagon The Black

Race: Half (Black) Dragon (The other half is a very generic human. :))

Class: Warrior

Sex: Male

Height: 5'6"

Weight: 177.5lbs

Starting Stats:

STR - 4

DEX - 2

STA - 1

CON - 3

WIS - 3

CHA - 2

My current lift PRs (for 5 reps; I do not know my 1 RM maxes) are:

Deadlift: 325lbs

Back Squat: 295lbs

Overhead Press: 120lbs

Bench Press: 175lbs

I have been plateauing on the overhead press, the rows and on the squats recently and I want to keep increasing my lifts and get PRs every month. My Goals for the next 6 weeks are as follows:

Deadlifts = 355lbs for 5 reps

Reward: +3 STR, 1 STA,

Back Squats = 315lbs for 5 reps

Reward: +3 STR, 1 STA

Overhead Press = 135lbs for 5 reps

Bench Press = 200lbs for 5 reps

How I achieve these goals is very simple. I will sleep 8 hours a night, eat 80% Primal and train with this program 3 days a week like I usually do. Very simple. Sleep. Eat. Train. Repeat.

I ask you fellow rebels to apprise the distribution of my potential attribute points and to please comment on my goals for the next 6 weeks. I have a point on STA for each lift because I am doing each for 5 reps instead of a 1RM max. I also want to assure everyone that these gains might not seem much (about 15-30 lbs gain promises per lift) but I am plateauing on pretty much every lift here right now and would like to use the next 6 weeks as a plateau busting, fire breathing phase where I destroy all my current PRs and set new ones.

Thank you all for visiting this page.

Goal Updates !!

I have decided to push myself further in honor of my first challenge here. Therefore, I have increased the challenge in my goals.

Edited by Ancalagon The Black
Increased goal levels

Hey jessydiamond, I am sure you can also lift this much and in fact, much more than me if you keep at it. When I started about 6 months ago, I just started with the bar but I kept at it 3 days a week building a routine and changing my diet to primal (I eat dairy and chocolate). My lifts just kept going up. I have been very inspired by this website and also my Lift Big Eat Big and I am just keeping at it. My goal for my 1st anniversary of power lifting is to deadlift 4 plates, squat 3, bench 2 and OHP 1 plate. :)

As far as height is concerned, popular wisdom says that the best powerlifters are also pretty tall - which is all good. But, my objective is not to deadlift 1000 pounds. :) I look very, very sturdy and stocky (like Gimli the dwarf perhaps? :)) That is fine with me - as long as I can sweep my hypothetical significant other off her feet effortlessly whenever it is necessary. :)

Update: September 25, 2012

So, today's workout was pretty good. I felt very strong and actually achieved the following:

1. Deadlift: 335 X 5 (10 pounds down, 20 to go in the next few weeks but it will be harder)

2. Overhead Press: 125 X 3 (I could not finish the last 2 reps. I just did not have enough strength to finish)

I also slept in very nicely for about 8 hours and had 2 huge meals involving ground beef, portabella mushrooms and bbq ribs. Thus, I feel 0nice and satiated now and will go to bed after drinking some cream and whole milk with whey protein. I feel good. I might just mow down these goals after all. :)

Does anyone know what happens if we surpass our goals and keep going within the 6 weeks. Ok, this is probably my euphoria speaking. :)

Today's Weight: 177 lbs

added today's weight information

Wow! Your numbers are outstanding!!! I have no doubt you will surpass your goals.

I hit my front squat goal today, so I'm increasing my goal number. If it were later in the challenge, I would take the points. I also hadn't maxed out my front lift in a while, so my goal was probably off anyway.

Thank you very much ! I was actually very surprised with my effort on the deadlift today. I think I was really psyched up about this challenge, which is my first. :) I have been stuck on the big 4 for a while now. In fact, 285->295 in squats took me a month for 5 reps and I had been stuck on 120 in OHP for about 3 weeks before I managed to get it up for 5 reps. :)

Updates in % Gains Promised

So far, I promised the following in the next 6 weeks for 5 reps:

Deadlifts = 325 -> 355

Back Squats = 295 -> 315

Bench Press = 175 -> 200

OHP = 120 -> 135

The following is the intended goal improvement (in percentages)

Deadlifts: 9.23%

Back Squats: 6.77%

Bench Press: 14.28%

OHP: 12.5%

Since I am plateauing on all these lifts, I have intentionally adjusted the goals to reflect the lift gain percentages for the lifts where I am plateauing the least. In order of plateauing the least, my lifts are BP > OHP > DL > BSQ. Therefore, my employing a variable distribution in goal levels, I hope that I can better reflect my strength and fitness status and better align it for this challenge goals.

Thank you all and please do comment on this.

Update: September 27, 2012

I felt pretty good at the gym today. I ate a huge 4 egg omelette with cheese but unfortunately got only 5 hours of sleep due to a dastardly piece of writing that I had due in class today. Graduate students shouldn't have to take classes ! :X

Anyway, I PR'ed on 2 of my goals:

1. Back Squats = 300 lbs X 5 reps (Squee !)

2. Bench Press = 180 lbs X 5 reps (Double Squee !)

I feel pretty good today and I am going to go and eat some more. This challenge is going to go down !

PS: Any tips for more sleep? I continuously feel as if I should be surfing and commenting on NF late at night. :D

Today's Weight: 180.2 lbs

added weight information

Update: September 27, 2012

Anyway, I PR'ed on 2 of my goals:

1. Back Squats = 300 lbs X 5 reps (Squee !)

2. Bench Press = 180 lbs X 5 reps (Double Squee !)

PS: Any tips for more sleep? I continuously feel as if I should be surfing and commenting on NF late at night. :D

Looking great on the lifts !

Wish I had tips to help with the sleep, as that really helps to keep momentum

Edited by Carsomyr
Trimmed quote

Thanks for the encouragement ! I am eating and lifting hard but sleeping hard also needs to happen. I felt good at the gym today but right now I am totally beat. 8 hours of sleep makes me happy. Tonight I shall sleep hard as I have nothing significant to do tomorrow. (I love grad school)

Update: September 29, 2012

Deadlift = 345lbs X 2reps

Analysis: I was pressed for time today so I think I didn't have enough time between sets. Anyway, I did 2 reps on 345. This makes me feel very good. Maybe I will get 355 before the 6 weeks are up?

OHP = 125lbs X 5 reps

Analysis: I felt very strong today on the OHP and busted out these 5 final reps nicely. 130lbs next time then ! It took me 1 month to get from 120lbs to 125lbs for 5 reps.

Overall: I generally include 5 sets of dumbbell rows with these 2 exercises but today I could not do it because I was 35 minutes late to the gym and almost stood my training partner up. Obviously, this infuriated her and I hated it. This "coming-to-the-party-late" habit of mine must be stopped for whatever reasons. Next challenge, I shall have a life goal of NOT being habitually late.

Nice work! For sleep, I'd say automate. An hour before bed have your internet, computer etc. automatically turn off (there are various programs you can use for this).

My main problem is getting up. I like sleeping too much, or I don't go to bed early enough. Regardless, I set about five alarms. -.-''

What helps me is that my watch is 3-6 minutes fast, which gets me to things on time, if not early.

Also, nice goals! :-) I do think reducing your tech before bed will help you sleep better. Waking up, for me, works better if I have a lot of natural light coming in my windows.

You know what happened last night? I was right on time to go to bed and sleep for 8 hours and then wake up nice and early. I went to bed and tried to sleep even though I felt tired. Sleep just wouldn't come. So, I woke up and played some Assassin's Creed: Revelations and tried to sleep some more when I got tired. Didn't happen. So, I tried to do it again. This continued until it was 4 am finally and I went to sleep and woke up very late at about 10:45 am ish. This needs to change. :X

Update: October 2, 2012

Squats = 305 X 3.

Analysis: I felt my form slipping away on the 3rd rep so I didn't do any more. Still, its 3 more than last time. More eating and sleeping necessary. I think I also carried the weight for a long time on my shoulders than necessary because I didn't setup the squat rack properly. Gah !

Bench Press = 185 X 3

Analysis: I feel happy with this. Its 3 more than last time and I will break this chain later this week. More eating and sleeping then.

I also showed up relatively on time at the gym so as not to incur the wrath of my training partner. Hell surely hath no fury than a woman kept waiting for power lifting. :P

Body Weight: 178.8 lbs

added body weight

I also showed up relatively on time at the gym so as not to incur the wrath of my training partner. Hell surely hath no fury than a woman kept waiting for power lifting. :P

probably true. this is why i go alone, so i don't have to murder a late training partner. ;)

& what are you studying in grad school?

Update: October 4, 2012

Deadlifts = 345 X 3

Analysis: This is a 1 rep improvement over last time which is fine. I almost had another rep busted out but failed on the top of the lockout. But this is good. I will break this record next time.

OHP = 130 X 5

Analysis: I felt uberly strong on this today and smashed this PR like a boss. This is the first time I have smashed a 5 rep PR on the first try. Remember, that it took me a month to get to 125 from 120. :)

I feel good and well rested. I think my plan of eating a lot and (trying to) sleep a lot may just be working. I will continue to eat massive amounts of food and to sleep well then. :) Just 5 pounds more for my initial strength target of OHP'ing 1 plate ! Squee !

Today's Bodyweight: 178 pounds