Ancalagon The Black's "Fire Starter" Challenge

Update: October 11, 2012

Deadlifts: 345 X 4

Analysis: Just got the barbell up there on the 4th rep and then dropped it as my grip gave away. Felt nice though. I am going to punch through this next week. I can feel it ! It obviously helps when you have a pretty training partner. :)

Overhead Press:135 X 5

Analysis: First goal of this challenge smashed !! I feel so happy. This was part of my year's challenge since I started lifting in April i.e. Deadlift 4, Squat 3, Bench 2 and OHP 1 for 5 reps each. I felt very nice and strong and lifted that red plate like a boss over my head and actually stood there with it high up after the 5th rep savoring in the moment. Since I have completed this goal, I am technically done but I will not stop. I will keep pushing to see how much I can actually get. I think that the background cheers really helped ! :)

Ancalagon The Black. Half Dragon Spellsword

I am happy to do a widowmaker PvP with you as well. Since its scaled by weight and ability, it could work ! :)

OooooOOOOoooOOOOOooohhhh... I haven't done a widowmaker in a few months. That PvP sounds like fun!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Overhead Press:135 X 5

Analysis: First goal of this challenge smashed !! I feel so happy. This was part of my year's challenge since I started lifting in April i.e. Deadlift 4, Squat 3, Bench 2 and OHP 1 for 5 reps each. I felt very nice and strong and lifted that red plate like a boss over my head and actually stood there with it high up after the 5th rep savoring in the moment. Since I have completed this goal, I am technically done but I will not stop. I will keep pushing to see how much I can actually get. I think that the background cheers really helped ! :)

I did that this morning with my snatch PR! LOVE THAT FEELING!!!!!

You're a beast! Keep smashing them goals.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Thank you for the kind words Angela.

I am sure I couldn't compete with you in widowmakerz ! I am a n00b and you are a pro ! :)

I'm sure you'd do juuuuuuust fine. :)

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Update: October 13, 2012

Squats: 315 X 5

Analysis: I have achieved the 3 plates, 5 rep squat that I gave myself a year to do. It felt really good and I felt mucho powerful while achieving this. :) My form was relatively good. Only on one rep did I lean forward and the weight shifted on my back but I adjusted quickly. I also felt that I went down to a nice parallel depth. I have achieved one of my goals ! Yay'z ! :)

Bench Press: 190 X 4

Analysis: I almost had another complete PR today but will have to settle for an incomplete one. I tried very hard to bring the bar up on the last rep but I just couldn't and my spotter had to help me. What I really liked about my form today was that although it was tough, I managed to bring the bar down and almost touch my chest and then bring it back up. Squee !!

Today's Body Weight: 180.2 lbs.

Update: October 16, 2012

So, I am going home for 7 weeks in about 7 weeks. So, for the next 7 weeks, I decided to change up my program into a vicious program centered around The WidowMaker. I used the following link for inspiration. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats My program was also slightly modified by what my training partner and I do together because the gym is busy and generally, we have to share one platform together. So, this is what I did today:

Barbell Squat:

135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)

185 lb x 5 reps (+92 pts)

225 lb x 20 reps (+159 pts)

Barbell Deadlift:

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

345 lb x 4 reps (+248 pts)

345 lb x 1 reps (+148 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

95 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

135 lb x 5 reps (+90 pts)

140 lb x 4 reps (+85 pts)

140 lb x 2 reps (+63 pts)

Chin-Up:

10 reps || assisted || 22 lb (+49 pts)

10 reps || assisted || 22 lb (+49 pts)

Analysis:

I couldn't increase my deadlift and it stayed stuck at what it has been for the last week, possibly because I just did a 20 rep squat at 225lbs. I may have to change the order of those 2 exercises in the future. However, I did increase my OHP by 4 reps and 5lbs. Which makes me feel very good. :) This is Basic Widowmaker Program A. Watch out for Program B on Thursday. I will keep alternating between the two because I like it that way.

Today's Bodyweight: 180.2 lbs

I have trouble with sleep too. Some obvious and not-so-obvious things that have helped me:

1) Blacking out all my windows with heavy drapes.

2) Installing f.lux on my computer; it filters out light on your desktop screen to mimic more natural lighting conditions at night, since blue light can trick you into thinking it's daylight even at odd hours. It's available for Mac, PC, and Linux. http://stereopsis.com/flux/

3) My bedroom has a bed, a fan, and a table. That's it, and I reserve my bed only for sleeping.

4) Magnesium deficiencies can mess up your sleeping. You might want to try eating a ton of spinach and nuts, or taking supplements.

5) Drink green tea or take some relaxants before bed. I sometimes take Hylands' Calm Forte, but it doesn't always work.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Necion, Orc, level 1 warrior/level 1 wizard

STR 4.5|DEX 3|STA 2.5|CON 3.5|WIS 3|CHA 5

[/TABLE]

Thanks for all the advice on sleep ! I really appreciate it. I wonder if I do have any sort of mineral/vitamin deficiency. Normally, I am a little loath to taking any kind of supplements. However, over the course of heavy lifting and the past 6-7 months, I have been taking whey protein isolate, fish oil and very recently, digestive enzymes. I may start with a multi vitamin in the future if any of the other methods that you outlined don't work.

Thanks !

Digestive enzymes? I'm curious to why?

I have been eating a lot of food (usually a lb of meat and a lb of veggies per meal) and drinking almost a gallon of milk a day. This usually causes some gas and bloating sometimes. Hence, the digestive enzymes. I have posted a separate thread about this in the supplements section.

Basically, I saw Marshall White from Lift Big Eat Big in a video on how much he eats in a day and he recommends getting digestive enzymes if you do go the Eat Big route.

Update: October 18, 2012

Here is my workout for today.

Power Clean:

45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)

65 lb x 5 reps (+30 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+43 pts)

135 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

Barbell Squat:

230 lb x 20 reps (+164 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

155 lb x 5 reps (+75 pts)

190 lb x 4 reps (+87 pts)

190 lb x 2 reps (+64 pts)

Pull-Up:

10 reps || assisted || 22 lb (+55 pts)

10 reps || assisted || 22 lb (+55 pts)

Analysis: Wow ! Second day and routine of widowmakers ! And are these mothers tough and brutal ! I felt a massive rush of blood to my head after completing that set. I think this might have to do with my breathing. Reps 11-15 are nasty and 16-20 are downright horrible. The power cleans are good. I am not increasing their weights just yet. Merely focusing on form and trying to get my jump right. I want explosionzzz and power !! They are a nice warm up for my widowmakers. I am still stuck on the same position on the bench which is 190 X 4 as of last time but I decided to move up my weights this time. Next time, I should stop acting so smart and starting redistributing equally. On another unrelated note, PR on pull ups. Just one more assisted set on 16lbs and I can do real pullups. Squee ! :)

Today's Bodyweight: 180.2 lbs

Update: October 20, 2012

Today's workout is as follows:

Barbell Deadlift:

135 lb x 7 reps (+73 pts)

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

315 lb x 3 reps (+178 pts)

345 lb x 2 reps (+184 pts)

Barbell Squat:

235 lb x 15 reps (+161 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

95 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)

105 lb x 5 reps (+74 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

135 lb x 2 reps (+61 pts)

Chin-Up:

10 reps || assisted || 16 lb (+55 pts)

4 reps || assisted || 0 lb (+22 pts)

Analysis: Today's workout was horrible. I woke up unrested and very hungry. My entire timetable was messed up. I went to the gym anyway and tried my best but I was just not in. Couldn't reach any PR's except for the fact that I did 4 real CHINUPS for the first time in my life !!! Squee ! That made me feel happy. Maybe, pullups are not that far away. I think I need to refine this new routine and basically sleep and eat more. That needs to happen. I hate it when my timetable is messed up. Grr....

Today's Bodyweight: 180 lbs

Yeah on SS they say to get at least 8 hours.. I've never gotten 8 hours unless I managed to go to bed after 2 days of no sleep.. Just not in the cards usually. Like this morning. I went to bed at midnight and woke up ready to go at 5 am.

Not everyday is going to be a PR day! Just be glad you stuck with it. Perseverance matters most in this game!!

Nice job on the chinups!

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Thanks ! To make matters worse, I pulled my left quad yesterday in my intramural pre-quarter football (soccer) game. This basically rules out deadlifts, squats and cleans for the next week. Which sucks because I wanted to up my deadlift PR. Oh well, looks like the next 7-10 days is all about the OHP, the Bench (which I also need to increase), rows, pulls and chins.

Any other upper body compound exercise that people know?

Update: October 23, 2012

So, to review my left quad was pulled the other day in a rather competitive intramural football (soccer) game and I turned my right ankle on the same day. So, today was squat day but I didn't and couldn't squat so I decided to mix it up a little bit by adding push presses which still work the legs a little bit and increased the number of sets I do to better reflect starting strength. Previously, I was just doing 5 sets with 4 warm up sets and 1 working sets but I have decided to be a form nazi and do 4-5 evenly spaced warm up sets and the 3 X 5 working sets. Only then will I increase the weight. Therefore:

Push Press:

45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)

65 lb x 5 reps (+30 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)

115 lb x 3 reps (+34 pts)

135 lb x 4 reps (+45 pts)

135 lb x 4 reps (+45 pts)

135 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

115 lb x 5 reps (+57 pts)

135 lb x 3 reps (+53 pts)

165 lb x 2 reps (+54 pts)

190 lb x 2 reps (+64 pts)

185 lb x 2 reps (+62 pts)

185 lb x 2 reps (+62 pts)

Pull-Up:

4 reps (+41 pts)

4 reps (+41 pts)

Analysis: Starting Strength patterns of warmup/working sets are quite tough methinks. I have done 190 on bench before for 4 reps but this time couldn't get it up for more than 2. This may be a function of not having eaten much because my schedule has been totally messed up today. :X However, in other news and a very big personal w00t for me, I did 2 sets of 4 real pull ups - you know, the ones where you jump up to the pull up bar like a boss and crank em out. For a guy who started with an assisted machine at the lowest setting, today was a real watershed. So, it makes me happy. :)

Today's Bodyweight: 180 lbs

Pullups are getting good! Starting strength requires copious amount of calories! Kinda sucks for trying to get lean haha. That's awesome about the moving up the way you are on pullups!! Don't go up on the weight if you are having trouble. Stick to 185 until you at least knock out a total of 13ish reps at that weight.

Massive shoulder building you're doing there!

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Thanks for the support man. I am alternating pull ups and chin ups for every workout. Eventually, I want to work in 4 sets of mixed pulls - pull ups, chin ups, neutral gril pull ups and wide grip pull ups into my workout. If I can get the sum of those 4 sets to 50 reps then I think I might have a nice back. :)

And yes, eating is very important. I have not been eating well for the last couple of days. That of course, has got to stop. I am going to eat a pound of fish and a pound of veggies right now. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines