• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ellystar

Apple Cider - Paleo?

Fall is here, my favorite time for food. Pumpkins and apples, yum! Both are great for paleo dishes, but what about apple cider? If nothing is added to it, is it paleo? Is it Whole30? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, but I did find some mulled cider recipes on a couple paleo websites.

I'm currently on the Whole30, and I'm wondering if that's a no-no on that. My thought is it would be okay occasionally for paleo, but I'm not sure for Whole30.

Are we talking apple cider vinegar or the alcoholic apple cider drink?

Because I'd say both are paleo but unfortunately drinking alcohol is out on the Whole30, apple cider vinegar is allowed though (:upset: because I'm a fan of alcoholic apple cider and I'm trying to do a Whole30 atm).

If the cider is just apples and water and spices, you might get a pass on Whole30... BUT they do also emphasize that liquid calories aren't really great for controlling hunger or cravings, so it might make your Whole30 just a little harder than it might be otherwise.

There's something about fruit juice not being paleo, right? I assume apple cider would fall into that category. But then, how is wine paleo?

I'm so confused . . .

Are we talking apple cider vinegar or the alcoholic apple cider drink?

Because I'd say both are paleo but unfortunately drinking alcohol is out on the Whole30, apple cider vinegar is allowed though (:upset: because I'm a fan of alcoholic apple cider and I'm trying to do a Whole30 atm).

Neither - just plain apple cider, but with nothing added (which means the Dunkin Donuts cider is probably out).

Alcoholic apple cider can be considered paleo? I'll have to look into that after I'm done with Whole30.

If the cider is just apples and water and spices, you might get a pass on Whole30... BUT they do also emphasize that liquid calories aren't really great for controlling hunger or cravings, so it might make your Whole30 just a little harder than it might be otherwise.

Yeah, that's my thought because it's liquid calories, but not like soda or even apple juice. But, it's not the same as eating an apple, because you're not getting things like fiber (is that right?).

There's something about fruit juice not being paleo, right? I assume apple cider would fall into that category. But then, how is wine paleo?

I'm so confused . . .

Me too. This is from Wikipedia: "according to the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, 'Apple juice and apple cider are both fruit beverages made from apples, but there is a difference between the two. Fresh cider is raw apple juice that has not undergone a filtration process to remove coarse particles of pulp or sediment. Apple juice is juice that has been filtered to remove solids and pasteurized so that it will stay fresh longer. Vacuum sealing and additional filtering extend the shelf life of the juice.'"

I always figured the main reason juice isn't paleo is it usually has sugar and other stuff added. The apple cider I almost bought at an orchard the other day was just apples, nothing added.

I'm so confused . . .

How strict are most paleos, though? The ones that drink beer readily admit that they aren't 100% or cheating.

I imagine they allow a little bit of wine because most of them can't stand the texture of rotten grapes, even if they could get properly-spoiled grapes.

I'm so confused . . .

How strict are most paleos, though? The ones that drink beer readily admit that they aren't 100% or cheating.

I imagine they allow a little bit of wine because most of them can't stand the texture of rotten grapes, even if they could get properly-spoiled grapes.

Apple cider is the juice from pressed apples. You could kind of make your own with apples in a juicer, I bet, but it's not the same. If you want some, have some! It's not going to hurt unless you guzzle it, in which case, you are probably intaking too much sugar.

Whole30 and some paleo people look down on juices because it is filtered and processed pretty much to the point where it is fruit flavored sugar water, even if it is only made from fruit. Given that cider is supposed to be basically unfiltered/unprocessed apple juice, it is more paleo friendly, but I still wouldn't say it is 100% ok. But I'm with Kelekona, if you like it, it doesn't wreck your system and you aren't in the Whole30, go ahead and drink some.

Mark Sisson recommends if you drink, drink tequila. He also has a Definitive Guide that recommends red wine. A lot of other places say wine is ok.

I basically follow the Whole30 guidelines for my day-to-day diet, and from their Alcohol Manifesto:

It’s difficult for us to make a case that any alcohol – even red wine, gluten-free beer, or 100% agave tequila – makes you more healthy. But while we exclude alcohol in all forms for your Whole30 program, we aren’t saying you should never have a drink ever again. All we are saying is that if you do choose to drink, don’t try to justify it with “heart health” or “gluten-free.” (The fact that it’s just plain delicious and you really enjoy it is reason enough!) Just understand that the less you drink, and the less often you choose to imbibe, the healthier you’ll be.

I'm so confused . . .

I wouldn't say that wine is paleo, but I think an argument can be made for it being somewhat of a better choice, since it will be a gluten-free indulgence, compared to a beer.

Neither - just plain apple cider, but with nothing added (which means the Dunkin Donuts cider is probably out).

Alcoholic apple cider can be considered paleo? I'll have to look into that after I'm done with Whole30.

Yeah, that's my thought because it's liquid calories, but not like soda or even apple juice. But, it's not the same as eating an apple, because you're not getting things like fiber (is that right?).

Me too. This is from Wikipedia: "according to the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, 'Apple juice and apple cider are both fruit beverages made from apples, but there is a difference between the two. Fresh cider is raw apple juice that has not undergone a filtration process to remove coarse particles of pulp or sediment. Apple juice is juice that has been filtered to remove solids and pasteurized so that it will stay fresh longer. Vacuum sealing and additional filtering extend the shelf life of the juice.'"

I always figured the main reason juice isn't paleo is it usually has sugar and other stuff added. The apple cider I almost bought at an orchard the other day was just apples, nothing added.

Fruit juice, especially if it's not fresh, is going to have very little bulk to it, meaning that you'll absorb it super fast compared to eat the apple... But, Whole30 guidelines do allow for some cooking with juice (like marinading etc), so having a little fresh cider isn't completely out of the question in my opinion. You might want to think about how a liquid sugary apple juice (even if it has no added sugars or chemicals) will affect sugar cravings for you, and decide from there.

The non-fermented kind of "apple cider" is nothing but apple juice. There is no legal differentiation between them, at least in the USA. I actually looked it up once. (Ask me some time about the fun I had with a store employee, trying to get him to explain the difference between these two dentical products with different labels...) Optionally you can add spices such as cloves and cinnamon, but it's still juice.

Apple juice is high in sugar. So I would suppose it is not paleo in the strictest sense. You could have it once in a while as a treat maybe, but if you're on a crash cleansing diet such as Whole30, avoid it. (The Whole30 people have some little line that goes like, "Your brain throws a sugar tantrum, do not give it sugar, even if it's fruit sugar.")

Edited by Raincloak

If you're super strict, it's probably not because it's basically juice, which is mostly sugar. that said, there are worse things to do. Me? I'll have a few glasses this fall season.