• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

An Englishman in Texas

The stars are right! My next strength-training goal looks a lot like a six-week run of Texas Method madness, and here's the six-week challenge clock. Starting Monday (this week's remains are light-day recovery) it's the three-day run of volume-light-intensity.

Game on.

• Like 1

Okay, light day is still worth a thousand points. Man, my arse is going to get so kickéd. Feeling zingy and invigorated, though, which is nice, even if I did nearly flip the hyperextension benchy thing. :)

Squats to 100 kg x5 x2, press to 50x5 x3, back hyperextension 5x10 and assisted chins x3. Today, swap bench in for the press, add weight to the hypers and skip the chins as someone was nesting on the machine.

...and light day, squats to 5x100kg x2, press 3x5 50kg, weighted hypers and assisted chins. Feeling... mm, my hips are feeling all this squattin'. The rest of me is hopefully being primed for 5RM apocalypse on Friday. :)

Intensity day, or so they say. Squats to 135kg x5; bench aiming for 90x5, missed, got x3 twice, so redo; power cleans 50x5 x3, which were just fun. Now that's a good use for hook grip. And apparently jumping all over the place. :)

Misread the goal, which was 90x X then go for 1RMs, so I'll take that as a hit actually.

I am SO FREAKING HUNGRY and sleeping like a bear. With naps. Already. Heh heh heh.

Volume Monday again with a ratchet on all the numbers and it's press week, so expect bitchin'. :)

Nailed it. The gym was insanely busy so I ended up working in deadlifts with three others on the same platform. There was someone doing standing face pull leany dangle things in one of the squat racks - that kind of day.

Squats to 5x5 122.5kg; then a single set of five deadlift 177.5kg, 5x5 OHP at 50kg and I'm out.

Just shy of 2500 points, too. Dammit. I'd have warmed up more if I'd known!

Hahaha, first thing i thought of was the accent you'd have, but weights are weights no matter what part of the world you're in. Enjoy the texas method matey, did you get the advanced copy from 70sbig?

Yes, but for now I'm going with the simple one here.

I'm surprised nobody has called me on the thread title! Are there no Sting fans out there?

(caveat: I like my toast done on both sides)

Yes, but for now I'm going with the simple one here.

I'm surprised nobody has called me on the thread title! Are there no Sting fans out there?

(caveat: I like my toast done on both sides)

I read it and I liked it, you may have just shown me my next program sir!

I can see why they say this is aimed at younglings, today's early light session (squats to 100x5x2, bench to 67.5x5x3, weighted hypers and chins) was pretty cranky and I can't tell if I've beasted my neck holding a 15kg plate behind my head for the hypers, or my glands are about to explode in alien brain juice.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow! :)

Intensity day and I came in with a head of steam from a very frustrating work week.

Squat to 140kg x5; OHP to a new PR of 67.5kg (previously 60, f'kin woot!); 3x5 cleans at 60kg because RAWR. Now: all the foods.

I think Texas agrees with me.

Even though the actual session didn't feel difficult (it instead felt easily strong, which is bloody marvellous) I am in full post-Heavy mode: walking like Robocop and craving sandviches after sleeping over 10h.

TMI Observation: The recovery response seems to set my piercings off. One has gone especially crusty. I've seen this happen with injuries before, not with training. I take it as a good sign...

Volume day. I'm glad I don't shave because this really is putting hair on my smooth bits: Squats to 125x5x5; deadlift to 180x4; bench to 77.5 x5x5.

Worked in with a chap on the deadlift and goaded him into a new PR (by 10kg) of 180 - then filmed him for girlfriend-bragging rights as he did it again. There were high fives. Englishmen doing spontaneous high-fives. Good gods. We got an actual audience (of freshers - with the powerlifters in hiding I think 180's the biggest deadlift the gym has seen in a while) and I got distracted in my five, which is why it's four. Picked up a single to make the volume, but I'll reset for next week. The audience thing was weird, and I need to get over it if I want to compete, so bring it on. :)

Bench is all pause at chest. Feeling more confident about that now, too. All in all a good (long) volume day, tough and serious and rewarding. 2700 points, too. Nom.

Had a cold trying to get me, which I was worried about with volume day and my great vintage, but schlepped in to do Light Day, being 100kg squats 2x5, 50kg presses 3x5, hypers and chins. Pretty meh, but done.

Tomorrow is Heavy Day (anybody wanna sandvich): big squats and bench, and cleans for the pull. The beard has been getting caught in the rack position, whih hurts and makes me drop the bar. I asked the internet (yay!) and they said braid it, so...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5933[/ATTACH]

...well, that's my LotR / Hobbit / Pirates cosplay sorted.

post-2465-13567245202172_thumb.jpg

Beard experiment fail! Just as prone to snagging on the bar. The rest was good: cleans 62.5 x5 x3, squat 145 x5 and really good, engaged core and strict (the last one was a vile squat-morning, but only that one), and bench was less awesome 90 x2, 92.5 x1, so 90 for the 2RM.