• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

andygates

An Englishman in Texas

Again with the fidgety nervousness looking at tomorrow's volume plan. It really is a big old bastard of a day. Friday is fun day, but Monday is like going to work knowing the server room went black over the weekend.

Then again, deadlifts. "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift" - Jon Pall Sigmarsson.

Volume day: squats to 127.5kg 5x5 (again: the last rep of the last couple sets was a squat-morning par excellence); OHP 52.5kg 5x5 (abs on, engage butt and drive, no dip); deadlift 182.5kg 1x5. The deads went up but the lockouts were rubbish so I'll re-run this.

Light day never feels light. The warmup always feels like beating rust off heavy chains.

Done, though, with some hanging leg raises added for a rich combo of dem abz and hang grip. All primed for PR Friday, just got to EAT and SLEEP a lot. Nomzzz...

Plague-ette has evolved into whooping cough. How medieval. It'll be scrofula next.

Bowing out of this challenge. I'm on light duties til the thing shifts, then obviously a ramp back up. Will probably reset and ramp the TM cycle, as this is fun, but with my volume mods.

Those volume mods? 3's instead of 5's for squats (except light day); swap power clean to volume day and deadlift to intensity day, and 3's instead of 5's for deadlift too. That may even go lower. No change to the upper-body stuff; that's all good.

Me too - and I got me a diagnosis and some meds. Looks like the cough season has just triggered my latent asthma, because ten minutes in a nebulizer literally doubled my lung capacity after a coughing jag. So, steroids and a brace of puffers, signed off for a week and then back into the game as I feel fit.

I was worried it was whooping cough. So was the doc at first!

So, out of this challenge, but not out of the game.

(which, by the way, is part of why I always say "and luck" when people describe winning athlete requisites)

Me too - and I got me a diagnosis and some meds. Looks like the cough season has just triggered my latent asthma, because ten minutes in a nebulizer literally doubled my lung capacity after a coughing jag. So, steroids and a brace of puffers, signed off for a week and then back into the game as I feel fit.

I was worried it was whooping cough. So was the doc at first!

So, out of this challenge, but not out of the game.

(which, by the way, is part of why I always say "and luck" when people describe winning athlete requisites)

Yeah, no kidding! Good deal about the non-whooping cough, only a week out won't hurt too bad.

What are your thoughts on the Texas method so far? I'm planning on starting it next week and was curious about your insights on it.

It's a lot of fun. Volume day is a ballache but a noble one; light day is harder than I expect, every time, but it's light; Intensity day is playtime for maxes. I haven't done enough of it to say if it's useful, but my experience there comes at 41, and it is touted as a young man's program because of the CNS bludgeoning.

There's a discussion on intermediate lifting routines here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?19867-Intermediate-Lifting-Routines