MadScientist can't take it any more

MadScientist

This is my first Nerd Fitness Challenge. Ten years ago, I successfully maintained a low-carb lifestyle for about two and a half years. Then Easter hit and I went off the rails. I have not gotten back on since. I have gained a lot of weight, had allergy issues, and psoriatic arthritis. I currently do high intensity weight workouts once a week and walk on the trails outside my workplace about a mile and a half a day. I also go camping with the Boy Scouts monthly (and usually keep up with them). I am over 50 years old (although Google thinks I'm 25 ;)), so I need to change things slowly or my body will fight back. So on to the challenge:

Fitness Goal Number 1:

Quit eating sugar. This is key. I am addicted to sugar. It has been my bane for years. It is time to stop.

Fitness Goal Number 2:

Start sprinting every other week. I need to get my aerobic capacity up, and my psoriatic arthritis is currently very unforgiving of highly repetitive activities (e.g. running). I will start with sprint session every two weeks with the goal of moving it to once a week over time.

Fitness Goal Number 3:

Lose 1" on my waist. At navel, I am currently 38". My final goal is 30" - 32", but a one inch drop over six weeks should be good.

Life Level Up Goal:

I am an amateur musician. Last year, I wanted to send my parents and family a Christmas CD of songs my family had recorded. I put the music together, and then life got in the way. This year, I was supposed to start on in the beginning of July to ensure it got done. Since July, I have bought a better microphone and done virtually nothing else. I want it done by the end of six weeks.

Stats for this exercise will get me:

STR 3

DEX 3

STA 2

CON 3

WIS 2

CHR 2

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Good goals. Sounds like you've got a good start.

And you're just up the road from me.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Best of luck! Those sound like some pretty solid goals:)

Ahhhhhh! I'm such a crazy sugar addict as well. But yah, has to go. It's so incredibly bad for people, and yet so difficult to give up.

We can do it!!:)

Level Three Ranger

STR 3.5 | DEX 4.25 | CON 4.25 | STA 4.25 | WIS 4.5 | CHA 4
STARTING STATS : 199 lb
CURRENT STATS : 191 lb
GOAL STATS : 135 lb

Instagram | Epic Quest

We are not our circumstances. We are our choices.

So far, so good. Except for 1/3 of a doughnut yesterday, I have been sugar free since Monday. I noticed the water loss on my Monday to Tuesday scale readings (181.6 down to 18.0.0), so seem to be on track. Unfortunately, I got simultaneously hit with bad allergies (ragweed spiked) and a cold yesterday (Wednesday), so was unable to do much in the way of music. This will also mean no sprinting on Saturday, but that may be a good thing, anyway. I will be over the low-carb flu by next Saturday and can enjoy myself.

I also found out today that what I thought was a rotator cuff tear was just bursitis. Treatment for that is a lot less invasive. I should have it cleared up in time for the next challenge, when I can work on my pullups (can only do five or six at the moment).

Typical life. Things happen. It won't stop me. I can still stop eating sugar, and all the rest will get better eventually.

Level 8 Human Druid

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Nice goals. :) Solid, level-headed, nothing wild and crazy. I wish you good luck.

Great job on your progress so far, by the way. Despite the bursitis thing....you have a pretty positive attitude about it though, so that's good. :)

Artemis Wolf
Level 2 Uratha Ranger
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character and Epic Quest

Battle Log

Keep it up the good work Ranger. Those are great goals and you seem like you are on the right track. I too struggle with sugar. I am not strong enough to completly dump all sugar yet, but I am quitting all soda's. I ave tried to cut back drasticaly though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 4 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

Challenge 1

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body"

Sir Richard Steele

I was wondering whether I had a cold or just allergies and it's pretty evident I have a cold now. Headaches, achy chest, etc. Can't do music :( much, so won't get to work on the CD much this weekend - maybe Sunday. I still think I can get it done by the end of the challenge. Should I post tracks as I get them done (will be ten of them)?

On the plus side, I kept my sugar down to a single square of dark chocolate today and weight was down to 178.8 (started 181.6). I can change weight by a couple of pounds in either direction per day, so it's hard to say much has happened. That's why my goal is a waist measurement. I will do that once a week, since movement there is slow. Tune in Sunday.

Level 8 Human Druid

Good job on the sugar! Honestly depending on your source, as far as I'm aware, dark chocolate isn't really bad for you per se. The more cocoa it has in it the better and if I remember right any where from 65% and up is relatively healthy. For example, hersheys doesn't count. :P

Weight will always fluctuate like that. I can weigh myself, then drink a bottle of water (24-32 oz) and gain a whole pound. Your best bet, as you said is to9 take measurements.

Keep up the good work!

Artemis Wolf
Level 2 Uratha Ranger

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character and Epic Quest

Battle Log

I felt worse this morning when I got up. It was sort of weird, though. It looked like my cold was moving into my chest, but overnight, the chest part basically cleared up and the head part got worse. I ended up sleeping half the morning, but felt better in the afternoon, and continue to get better. Sugar is still under control. I didn't check exactly, but pretty sure carbs are about 70g today. Weight was 179.0lb this morning, so water loss has plateaued. It should be fat loss at this point, although I will get a bit of muscle loss as well.

My doctor put me on 800mg of ibuprofen (4X the normal dose) with each meal and told me not to do any overhead weight work for about six weeks to help solve the bursitis issue. I will continue the rest of my stuff and will be doing therapy to increase my rotator cuff strength. I can see a challenge for next time fairly clearly...

So far, so good. I will measure my waist tomorrow and, hopefully, get my first track and maybe part of another done on the Christmas CD. There will be a whole lot of learning going on, since I have never done multi-tracked recording before. With my daughter in the Baltimore area, that is what I will need to do, however. I will be using Audacity for now, but may switch to Ardour if I can figure out how to set it up.

Level 8 Human Druid

Really good progress, especially considering you're fighting an injury and a cold. Nice work.

HALF-OGRE

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Measured my waist this morning and got essentially the same thing I did last Wednesday. I may have lost 1/8", but that's about it. Weight was at 179.6, but that is within normal variation. I have been eating to get well, not lose waist/weight, so things should be better next week.

I avoided sugar today and managed to get the first track of the CD done. I am feeling a lot better, so should be able to get some serious headway into the CD tomorrow night, barring other life events happening.

So far, so good...

Level 8 Human Druid

Weight was the same this morning (179.6), but pants are fitting a bit looser. Maybe I am making progress, despite the cold. Speaking of which, my chest still hurts a bit and I am still a bit foggy, but recovering. I have also managed to keep my sugar intake low today, so am happy about that.

I managed to practice for the CD some tonight, but got thrown a curve when my son complained his computer was awfully slow. Turned out his hard drive was dying and over a year past its warranty. Fortunately, Fry's had a 2TB drive for $100, so I snapped that up. I will be replacing my drive with it, and giving him my drive (a 1TB unit I bought back in June). But that will consume my time tomorrow, so tonight's practice is probably it until Thursday, unless I sneak some time in right after work.

Level 8 Human Druid

Sounds like you are doing great even with life's difficulties. Keep on the steady path and you will get there.

Space Alien Ranger GallifreyanSTR: 12.2 DEX: 9.5 STA: 10.68 CON:11.58 WIS:10 CHA:11.68

The first to help you up are the ones who knows how it feels to fall down.- Fbook Picture

I was acting IT professional yesterday, so no time to post. I did get my son's computer back up and running smoothly, so he's happy.

I weighed in at 178.2 yesterday and 177.8 today, so good progress. Hopefully this will reflect in my waist size. I have pretty much avoided sugar except for one square of 75% chocolate tonight. Dinner was two eggs, half a pound of bacon, and a berry smoothie - Wednesday is breakfast for dinner night. It was great and I am definitely not hungry.

I managed to squeeze in some practice for the CD yesterday night. My chops were not quite good enough to record the next song yet. I will get it. I was out most of tonight practicing with one of my music groups for a couple of concerts next weekend, so no CD, but music.

The cold is almost gone and I am looking forward to logging some sprinting on Saturday.

Onward we go...

Level 8 Human Druid

Nice progress.

And get out there and sprint! We need the miles.

HALF-OGRE

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Went to a football game yesterday night to watch my son's marching band perform, so no time to post. The marching band was excellent (they made finals in the state of Texas last year), but our football team was not so good. When I left at halftime, we were losing 41-7 :(.

However, my challenge is going much better. I weighed in at 178.0 yesterday and 177.2 this morning, so still trending where it belongs. Sugar is still under control. This is the best I have done for a long time. I still have a cough, but no real other symptoms. We will see what the sprinting tomorrow morning does. We need the distance, so I am going for it.

I worked some on the CD tonight, but mostly ended up learning more about Audacity and latency compensation. I have a pro audio board I picked up cheap on Craig's list, so it has lower latency the the standard audio input. However, Audacity has a default latency which was causing my sound to show up before it was generated. It was very odd. All fixed now. I should start making more progress tomorrow.

Level 8 Human Druid

Nice progress. Don't make yourself sicker by trying to sprint, if you're not feeling up to it

HALF-OGRE

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Question: Do you tape yourself every week to track your body fat? This is something I have to constantly be aware of because although my weight is trending in the right direction, it is not optimal if I'm losing weight in muscle. You want to make sure you are losing fat and maybe putting on a little muscle and the scale can't really tell you that. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/07/3-reasons-to-reconsider-stepping-on-the-scale-this-morning/ I read somewhere (sorry I can't site my source) that muscle burns more calories than fat does. By that logic more muscle=more (fat) weight loss, yes? Provided proper diet and exercise, of course. Just some food for thought, pardon the weak pun. :) If you aren't sure about the body fat thing see here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

Artemis Wolf
Level 2 Uratha Ranger

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character and Epic Quest

Battle Log

Weighed in this morning at 178.6 - and I was well hydrated. Must have been dehydrated the last couple of days. Embyr, you are right on the money. My goal was a waist size because that more accurately reflects fat loss than weight, which can vary wildly and shows muscle gain as well as fat loss. I measure myself on Sundays, so tune in tomorrow when I find out.

Felt good this morning and a cold front came in, so I did some sprinting in the local park. I decided to try with moccasins instead of running shoes and it worked great (I have been working on using minimalist footwear for about a year and have very flat feet). I got four good runs in before my legs collapsed, averaging about 160m apiece (thank you Google Earth!). Still feel good now, although the massive amounts of ibuprofen I am taking for the bursitis issue in my shoulders is probably helping.

Still good on sugar. My wife asked me to taste some chocolate chips, so my sugar today was five chocolate chips.

Been doing odd jobs around the house today, so was unable to get to music. I plan to get a lot of music for the CD done tomorrow, since I have nothing else on the table. I can play 'til my fingers bleed ;).

Level 8 Human Druid

Weighed in this morning at 178.6 - and I was well hydrated. Must have been dehydrated the last couple of days. Embyr, you are right on the money. My goal was a waist size because that more accurately reflects fat loss than weight, which can vary wildly and shows muscle gain as well as fat loss. I measure myself on Sundays, so tune in tomorrow when I find out.

Felt good this morning and a cold front came in, so I did some sprinting in the local park. I decided to try with moccasins instead of running shoes and it worked great (I have been working on using minimalist footwear for about a year and have very flat feet). I got four good runs in before my legs collapsed, averaging about 160m apiece (thank you Google Earth!). Still feel good now, although the massive amounts of ibuprofen I am taking for the bursitis issue in my shoulders is probably helping.

Still good on sugar. My wife asked me to taste some chocolate chips, so my sugar today was five chocolate chips.

Been doing odd jobs around the house today, so was unable to get to music. I plan to get a lot of music for the CD done tomorrow, since I have nothing else on the table. I can play 'til my fingers bleed ;).

I track measurements on Sundays too! Cheers for progress!:) My weight fluctuates a bit, but it's the inches that are dramatically dropping it seems. Which is really a true indicator of healthy body changes.

Doing awesome on the running and avoiding sugar! Keep it up:)

(Psst...when I cheated the other day, it was totally with a few dark chocolate chips. Just a small taste seems to kill the cravings for me, even if they're really bad.)

Music. Love it. I have the guitar callouses and it's hard work to get them, but totally worth it.

Level Three Ranger

STR 3.5 | DEX 4.25 | CON 4.25 | STA 4.25 | WIS 4.5 | CHA 4
STARTING STATS : 199 lb
CURRENT STATS : 191 lb
GOAL STATS : 135 lb

Instagram | Epic Quest

We are not our circumstances. We are our choices.

My wife asked me to taste some chocolate chips, so my sugar today was five chocolate chips.

Had to be done, the Lady asked. What man refuses a Lady? ;)

Great progress, and I'm glad to hear you do tape measurements as well. I was sitting here thinking "No! Don't trust the scale! IT LIIIIEEEES!!!!" But now I'm good. :) I do my personal weigh-in/taping on Mondays and usually in the evening around the same time each week. The Army had me doing a weigh and tape every month too, and those were the numbers that really mattered, but keeping track of it on my own ensured that I was on the right track with my weight loss.

Artemis Wolf
Level 2 Uratha Ranger

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character and Epic Quest

Battle Log

And the tape measure says - 37in. ! I was a bit surprised, since I made no progress last week. I measured myself just before stepping in the shower and thought maybe that was why, since I had my jeans on during the last measuring. However, even with jeans on, 37in., I'll take it. It should keep going down. Weight was 176.6lb. I can't explain yesterday's reading, other than the scale needed a minor recal, as I was well hydrated. Oh well. Sugar is still under control today, although I did indulge in a square of 85% cacao chocolate.

I did some experiments to set up the delays properly on my sound recording, then tried to lay down some tracks. I found out that I am really bad at accurately following a metronome. I have no trouble working with other people, since we sync with each other with no issues. Staying with a machine is another issue. I ended up practicing quite a bit. Good thing I have the mandolin callouses. Didn't get much fiddle or vocal time in, since I was working more on rhythm items. I also cleaned up some of my music. I use Lilypond for typesetting it, and they had a new release with some nice features I took advantage of. But I still need to actually get some recording done. I have one out of 10 tracks done...

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. Onward...

Level 8 Human Druid

Quick update. Sugar under control. Weight 176.8. Got some vocals laid down on one song for the CD.

Also continued to fix a broken laptop and updated another song for a concert this upcoming weekend. Busy night. I need to do some pushups!

Level 8 Human Druid

Weight this morning was consistent - 176.4. It is trending in the right direction. As long as I keep my sugar intake under control, and I have, I am good. My wife made a nice quiche tonight and I did not eat the crust, tempting though it was.

I went to see a physical therapist today about my shoulders and he torqued them around pretty good. I got a set of daily exercises to strengthen the rotator cuffs. He was also pretty down on flys with free weights. Has anyone else heard that flys are not a particularly good exercise. He recommended that the only over-the-head weight work I do should be such that I can see my hands at full extension while looking forward. Hopefully this is only until I get my rotator cuffs in shape.

It is amazing how much time something simple can take. I have been on-and-off working on getting an old laptop back in shape for my son to use at school. The hard drive was not working well. I was imaging it through a USB 1 port to a USB hard drive. It took over five hours per attempt. I quit after two. I did manage to copy everything off it, but did not get a full image. I ended up putting Lubuntu on it (it only has 256MBytes of RAM) and calling it good. I wanted an excuse to get XP off the thing, and I got it ;).

Level 8 Human Druid

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines