Amphion's Level One Challenge, Foundation Building

Amphion

"Hold on to your butts."

Well I finally decided to take the plunge and start a 6 week challenge. I have been reading NF for the past 6 weeks and learned a lot already. I have already started watching what I eat a lot more and trying to make healthier choices. I turned 27 today and I am not happy with the shape I am in. I have two wonderful little girls and I want to make sure I am able to be around to enjoy them as long as possible. So NOW is the time. I want to change my lifestyle and develop healthy habits that will benefit my life and hopefully one day benefit my children.

I figured my starting stats based on my own strengths and weaknesses. I am an asthmatic with practically no stamina and pretty shy and introverted. My strengths are probably my agility and wisdom. I can move pretty good, just not for long periods. I get gassed really quick. I love to read, tinker with computers, and build things with my hands. I kinda have more brain power than physical power. So that gives me the following stats:

STR 3 | DEX 4 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

I am mainly focused on developing functional strength and good stamina. I want something like the fitness level and skill set of a Special Forces soldier that would allow me to take on any situation that I might would face. It is for this reason I have chosen the Ranger class because I believe this corespondses the best with my fitness desires.

With this being my first challenge, I have named it Foundation Building. This is what I want to gain from my first challenge. I want to walk away from this in 6 weeks with a solid foundation to build on as my fitness lifestyle advances. So my following goals are:

GOAL 1 - DIET

ELIMINATE ALL SODA'S FROM MY DIET

I don't believe there is anything good to come from soda's. I feel like they are a poision to the body. At my peak I drink 3 to 4 12oz can's a day. Right now I am at 1 a day. I have already felt a tremendous difference in the way I feel and I want to take it further and cut them out completely.

PLAN

• Quit them cold turkey.

REWARD

• CON +1

GOAL 2 - Fitness

WORKOUT 3X EACH WEEK

COMPLETE 18 WORKOUTS

I want to establish a good workout routine and build it into a habit. Due to work, 2 kids, and my wife's ZUMBA schedule, I have a limited amount of time to set aside for workout's.

PLAN

• On Tueday's and Thursday's I will workout out at home using a bodyweight routine and other functional training methods.
  • On Saturday's I actually have time to make it to the gym with a friend of mine. So on Saturday's I will strength train at the gym hitting all the basics; Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpress, etc. If for some reason I can not make it to gym on Saturday I will try and reschedule for another day or subsitute bodyweight routine.

REWARD

• STR +4 | STA +1 | CHA +1

GOAL 3 - FITNESS

RUN 3X EACH WEEK

RUN 18 MILES

Not at once, total miles ran by end of challenge. I will do this on the days that I do not work out. As I said previously, I have asthma and get gassed pretty quick. When I was younger and active, I didn't have as much trouble with my asthma as I do now and I beleive this is related. I hope that by running and conditioning my lungs it will help control my asthma as well. Will run 1 mile each session for a total of 18 miles by the end of the 6 weeks. Can run on workout days if necessary, just plan to do it on my off days to give me something to do.

PLAN

• Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's I will run a mile after work or use a stationary bicycle at home.

REWARD

• DEX +2 | STA +3 | CHA +1

GOAL 4 - LIFE

GET LIFE INSURANCE

I had it at my old job but when I changed jobs I didn't roll it over. I recently watched a friend of mine die from cancer and saw how much of a burdan it can be on your family when you pass away. I have a wife and 2 kids to think about and I want the satisfaction of knowing that if something was to happen to me that they would be okay.

PLAN

• Get life insurance NOW! (Anyone have any suggestions on this?)

REWARD

• WIS +1 | CON +1

SIDE QUEST

READ BIBLE EVERYDAY

This is a side quest I am throwing in. It is something I need to do. I have always failed at this miserably and now it is a good a time as any to do something about it.

PLAN

• Read Bible all 42 days of my challenge. (Need to make this a habit)

REWARD

• Special Loot earned for completing this side quest. After completing this I get to buy myself a Gold Cross Necklace.

So that's about it. Not quite finished with the details yet, but I will fill them in in the morning. I wanted to make sure I got this up in time.

Finished.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body"

Sir Richard Steele

All of those are great goals. Because you have a family, life insurance is critically important. I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey, and the insurance broker he recommends is Zander Insurance. Since Zander is a broker, it will give you quotes from a lot of different companies. But here is the key. You want TERM insurance. NOT whole life insurance (also sometimes called by other names, like permanent insurance, or whole life insurance). Term insurance is just insurance. Whole life, on the other hand, is a combination of insurance/investment. It is really expensive, and a really lousy investment. Stay away from it. The Dave Ramsey rule is that you need 10 times your annual income in life insurance. So if you make $50,000 a year, you need $500,000 in life insurance, to replace your income in case of your untimely demise.

All of those are great goals. Because you have a family, life insurance is critically important. I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey, and the insurance broker he recommends is Zander Insurance. Since Zander is a broker, it will give you quotes from a lot of different companies. But here is the key. You want TERM insurance. NOT whole life insurance (also sometimes called by other names, like permanent insurance, or whole life insurance). Term insurance is just insurance. Whole life, on the other hand, is a combination of insurance/investment. It is really expensive, and a really lousy investment. Stay away from it. The Dave Ramsey rule is that you need 10 times your annual income in life insurance. So if you make $50,000 a year, you need $500,000 in life insurance, to replace your income in case of your untimely demise.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have been a fan of Dave Ramsey as well and I completly forgot about that. I will definetly start out there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

Sir Richard Steele

Welcome to the Rangers! You set some excellent goals to start and you have a plan for attack, but what are you going to do when your schedule is thrown off? Say you have a family outing conflicting with your Saturday workout? Weekly goals are tough to complete because of things like this. Look at your next six weeks and determine what obstacles lay ahead now (instead of waiting for them to pass, then playing catch up). Once you know the obstacles, determine your counter-measures. Then you can come up with a contingency plan.

I recommend cumulative goals for the entire six weeks. Instead of 3x workouts a week, do 18 workouts for the entire challenge (6 weeks, 3 a week). It is the same goal, but one is easy to plan for schedule bumps.

Good luck and keep us posted!

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Welcome to the Rangers! You set some excellent goals to start and you have a plan for attack, but what are you going to do when your schedule is thrown off? Say you have a family outing conflicting with your Saturday workout? Weekly goals are tough to complete because of things like this. Look at your next six weeks and determine what obstacles lay ahead now (instead of waiting for them to pass, then playing catch up). Once you know the obstacles, determine your counter-measures. Then you can come up with a contingency plan.

I recommend cumulative goals for the entire six weeks. Instead of 3x workouts a week, do 18 workouts for the entire challenge (6 weeks, 3 a week). It is the same goal, but one is easy to plan for schedule bumps.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Follow the Jedi. I wish someone had told me this when I was setting up my first challenge. I am evidently very poor at predicting how much other life factors (and not just emergencies/disasters) can trump my regular schedule.

Your goals look pretty top notch, otherwise. Are you already able to run a mile? I'm starting from almost ground zero on a running goal, myself, and I think my zippy little car has deceived me about just how far a mile really is. At a quarter mile, I am offended by such a distance. At a half mile, I am a wheezy heifer. At a three-quarter mile, I am walking and holding my side because it feels like an alien baby is trying to pop out. Stick with it, though! Like any exercise, it really does get less hateful after a while.

Glad to have you on board for the challenge!

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

Jedi has some good advice. Bumps always happen; best to plan some for some flexibility.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Thanks you all for the advice and I edited my goals using your suggestions.(I assume that is okay) I want my workout routine to be flexible so that it can be adjusted to fit different schedules if need be. I really like bodyweight workouts for this reason. I purchased You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren and I really like it and recommend it. However, I do still like to workout at the gym doing basic strength training too. I have no excuse for missing a workout now. I did the same with my running goal. My stamina is very poor so my mile times aren't that good but I can complete a mile. I will aim to run a mile three times a week but have allowed for me to be able to shift my running sessions now to adjust to any unexpected bumps. Thanks again to all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

Sir Richard Steele

At a quarter mile, I am offended by such a distance.

LMAO! I can SO relate to that.

Amphion, good luck with your goals! Children really are a great motivator, and my daughter is actually the reason my husband and I lost weight about 6 years ago. I lost 30 pounds, and my husband lost 100. We wanted to be active parents who set a good food model for her and not set her up for obesity. Also, great life goals, and I like how you get loot for the side quest. ;) Awesome idea.

Half-Orc Ranger

Stats:

STR +4 DEX +2

STA +1.5 CON +2.5

WIS +2 CHA +3

Update 001 - 9/27/2012 ~ 7:30 PM CT

Thanks for all the support. Had a good week so far. I have completed two workouts. My bodyweight routine is pretty basic right now. It goes as follows:

Bodyweight Routine

START

• Jumping Jacks x 50 (WARM-UP)

CIRCUIT 3X (WITH AS LITTLE REST AS POSSIBLE)

• Prisoner Squats X 30
  • Push-ups X 20
  • Plank X 30 sec
  • Sit-Ups X 30
  • Pull-ups X 3

END OF CIRCUIT

END OF WORKOUT

• Jumping Jacks X 50 (END)

I plan to intensify this as I decide on what exercises to add. (Any Suggestions?) My core strength is really bad so I wil probably add another core exercise for sure. I will probably go angry birds style pretty soon. I have about 20 minutes on my lunch break to workout, so I will probably work something in there too.Tomorrow I have time set aside to run at least a mile. Haven't touched any soda's or even wanted to yet.

PROGRESS

GOAL 1 | DAY'S WITHOUT SODA | 3/42 | 7% COMPLETE

GOAL 2 | COMPLETE 18 WORKOUTS | 2/18 | 0% COMPLETE

GOAL 3 | RUN 18 MILES | 0/18 | 11% COMPLETE

GOAL 4 | GET LIFE INSURANCE | 0/1 | 0% COMPLETE

SQ | DAILY BIBLE READING | 3/42 | 7% COMPLETE

CHALLENGE TOTAL | 8/121 | 6% COMPLETE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

Sir Richard Steele

For core strength, definitely a variety of crunches. Another good option, if you have them, is to add some dumbbell work and work 1 side at a time. One-legged rows are great for working the core.

Your bible study is motivating me to open my bible back up. Haven't opened it since I quit church (the institution, not God).

HALF-OGRE

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

For core strength, definitely a variety of crunches. Another good option, if you have them, is to add some dumbbell work and work 1 side at a time. One-legged rows are great for working the core.

What he said. Now that I'm officially old, I find that full sit-ups are really hard on my lower back. (I imagine they were hard on my back before, too, but I'm just now feeling it.) So instead I do crunches, bicycles, leg-lifts, or omg planksofdoom. I sort of dabbled in yoga a bit for my last challenge, and was really surprised how much that balance work engaged my core, too.

I like the revisions to your goals, and the way that you're tracking them. I think your workout looks pretty good for someone getting back into the groove, and it sounds like you're keeping it flexible so you can tweak it to fit your needs as you keep improving. Top notch, all around.

And great job kicking that liquid corn syrup! You're going to have a boss Week One under your belt!

Wood Elf Ranger

Your bible study is motivating me to open my bible back up. Haven't opened it since I quit church (the institution, not God).

Thanks for the suggestions. I do plan on getting me a set of dumbbells to take to work. I had a dumbbell I made at work to do curls with but I have already surpased it.

As for the Bible reading, I find it makes a good start and end to the day. Puts me in the right frame of mind and gives me a positive attitude.

Thanks for the motivation CD. Yeah I am not a big fan of sit ups either. They really hurt my lower back and I do not want a back injury. Maybe if I was in better shape it wouldnt hurt so bad. As for the liquid corn syrup, they should have to put a poison label on the side of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

Sir Richard Steele

Hey Amphion, Good work so far, keep it up.

I can tell you that I think myself in pretty good shape, but my lower back hurts a lot from work. I go see this chic that gives me massages because it gets to hurting so bad, (she says that it is my glutes that make my back hurt), anyways it helps out a lot. If you get someone that knows what they are doing they can tell you/ or show you things to pull, or rub that helps the pain some.

Once again I find myself motivated by a Ranger's challenge and goals!! Keep up the good work and stick with it. I also second (or third) the lowerback pain of the full sit-up and have found much joy (sort of...in a love/hate way) in the plank. Luck through the next 6 weeks!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

I can certainly relate to your challenge. You almost described me at an earlier age, minus the asthma. On the plus side, if you manage to pursue a low-carb diet, your asthma should quiet down. I think it is related to the amount of inflammation you are getting from the sugar and grains.

Another tip for life insurance is to check out any professional organization you may belong to. I got mine through the American Physics Society, but I have heard it is worth joining the IEEE just to get the low insurance rates.

Keep up the good work. I told my wife I want to dance at my granddaughter's wedding, so I need to take care of myself. Looks like you are doing the same.

I will encourage you to get into reading your bible. It is a quiet few minutes away from the world, and is filled with wisdom that sometimes just hits you between the eyes.

Welcome to the rangers.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Update 002 - 9/29/2012 ~ 11:10 PM CT

Thanks again for the continued support. It makes a world of difference. I got a run in yesterday and made it to the gym for my workout today. I have been walking some with my wife for a while but it has been a long time since I ran a mile. It was brutal but I was able to finish it without stopping or walking. I was using runkeeper to track it and the gps signal kept cutting out on me. I know I ran a mile(based on the laps)but I am not sure what my final time was. I am positive it was under 9 minutes so I am happy. I will just use the stopwatch next time. (*side note: Pandora sucks to run by, just when you feel like stoppping and you need an extra boost, freak'n commercial comes on. Won't do that again.) Workout at the gym went pretty good. I was a little sore from the run but managed to do pretty good. So far, my gym routine looks like this:

GYM ROUTINE

• ELLIPTICAL | 5 min. (WARM-UP)
  • BENCH PRESS | 135lbs 5 reps x 4 sets
  • INCLINE BENCH PRESS | 115 lbs 5 x 4
  • PULL-UP | 3
  • CHIN-UP | 4
  • LATERAL PULLDOWN | 110lbs 5 x 4
  • TRICEP EXT. | 80lbs 5 x 4
  • SQUAT | 135lbs 5 x 4
  • DUMBBELL FLY'S | 15lbs 10 x 3
  • DUMBBELL CURLS | 35lbs 5 x 4

Still trying to find exactly what exercises I want to do. I only get to go to gym once a week and I can't spend 3+ hours there so I will have to be very selective in what I do. I do have a question and that is since I am only working out at the gym once a week, should I do squats and deadlifts, pick one, or alternate? I found a NAVY trainging video where the instructor suggested doing squats, deadlifts and overhead presses to build strength. They also suggested a 5 x 5 routine so I was thinking of switching to that. Like I said it is a work in progress and I am open to suggestions. Hopefully by the end of this challenge I will have a better understanding of my body and figure out what exercise will benefit me the most in the time that I have.

I am also adding some START OF CHALLENGE stats that are just for me to keep a record of so that I will have something to compare to at the end of the challenge.

WEIGHT | 185 lbs

PULL-UP MAX | 3

CHIN-UP MAX | 4

PUSH-UP MAX | 28

MILE RUN | 0:00

WAIST | 37"

PROGRESS

GOAL 1 | DAY'S WITHOUT SODA | 5/42 | 12% COMPLETE

GOAL 2 | COMPLETE 18 WORKOUTS | 3/18 | 17% COMPLETE

GOAL 3 | RUN 18 MILES | 1/18 | 6% COMPLETE

SQ | DAILY BIBLE READING | 5/42 | 12% COMPLETE

CHALLENGE TOTAL | 14/121 | 12% COMPLETE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

Sir Richard Steele

Still trying to find exactly what exercises I want to do. I only get to go to gym once a week and I can't spend 3+ hours there so I will have to be very selective in what I do. I do have a question and that is since I am only working out at the gym once a week, should I do squats and deadlifts, pick one, or alternate? I found a NAVY trainging video where the instructor suggested doing squats, deadlifts and overhead presses to build strength. They also suggested a 5 x 5 routine so I was thinking of switching to that. Like I said it is a work in progress and I am open to suggestions. Hopefully by the end of this challenge I will have a better understanding of my body and figure out what exercise will benefit me the most in the time that I have.

I'm going to be working out my weights routine this coming week or two. Never done much lifting, so I'm also trying to educate myself. I'm thinking squats, deadlifts, presses, and maybe clean and jerks, based on my reading so far.

Good progress on your goals.

HALF-OGRE

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Update 003 - 10/03/12 ~ 5:24 PM CT

I completed another bodyweigth routine. I missed a running session so I will try and make that up tomorrow. The rest of my goals are on track, except for the life insurance I still haven't started researching yet. I will have to make sure I do not put that off too much longer. I found out that my gym will be closed this weekend so it looks like I will be substituting a bodyweight routine in for Saturday.

Currently I am working out mainly in the mornings. I wake up at 4:30AM and prepare my lunch and mix up a protein shake. I then do my workout and drink my shake on the way to work. I have read that it is good to do this but yesterday morning I felt like I had no energy. I was not able to do as many pushes ups as last Thursday and reached failure more quickly. I did have a good workout Saturday at the gym but I was wondering why I experienced this. Is it possibly slow recovery from Saturday or should I be eating something for energy before workout? My sleep pattern is not really good either so that could be to blame as well. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

I am still learning so if anyone has any suggestons about anything please feel free to suggest.

PROGRESS

GOAL 1 | DAY'S WITHOUT SODA | 9/42 | 21% COMPLETE

GOAL 2 | COMPLETE 18 WORKOUTS | 4/18 | 22% COMPLETE

GOAL 3 | RUN 18 MILES | 1/18 | 6% COMPLETE

SQ | DAILY BIBLE READING | 9/42 | 21% COMPLETE

CHALLENGE TOTAL | 23/121 | 19% COMPLETE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

Challenge 1

Sir Richard Steele

Some people eat before their workout, some will swear by fasting beforehand. It all just depends on the person. When I was doing early mornings like you, a meal beforehand would just make me sick. I could handle an apple. That's about it. Now that my schedule allows for afternoon/evening workouts, I'll have a good meal at 1:00 and then my workout at 3:00 and I'm feeling good. Just experiment and find what's best for you.

There are two things I typically check when I have a drop in energy: what's my calorie intake, and what's my average sleep length? I don't track calories every day now that the diet's solid, but it sure helps to occasionally spot-check it for a day or two now and then. There are a bunch of free apps out there to help with that. You've been getting in some pretty solid workouts, and your body is probably still in the wtf stage. It wants lots of food and lots of sleep. Don't short-change your body on those!

Also, by the by...have you seen the tournament competition between guilds? This week our mini-challenge is to beat the Adventurers in sprints. Come help us whup some tail!

Wood Elf Ranger

Sounds like you might be either not getting enough carbs for the exercise you are doing or getting a bit of the low carb "flu" (the tiredness you get as your body switches over from carb burning to fat burning). Another possibility, fairly common, is not getting enough potassium or water. If when you wake up in the morning and stretch, you get a cramp, one of these is probably to blame. Try the water first, then the potassium (use the 99mg tablets, they are cheap - a couple at breakfast and supper should do it, if you need it - its hard to overdo).

Looks like you are basically on track, though. Keep up the good work. And start that insurance search. Besides the Ramsey, you can check out Consumer Reports. They usually do a yearly study. Your local library should have copies if you don't.

Go For It!

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines