Dae's First Time

daeohtar

This is my first challenge! :-) And I'm pretty crazy excited about the whole thing, to be honest. These are my goals, and I think that they are fairly realistic. I know that the hardest one for me is going to be my eating. Self-control isn't my strong point when it comes to food.

1.) Improve my bench, squat, and deadlifts in form and weight. I want to ideally go up at least 15-30 pounds in the next six weeks in each.

Current Squat- 40lb

Current Bench- 35lb

Current Dead Lift - 70lb

2.) I want to lower my body fat and lose five pounds.Or lose ~5 pounds of fat and gain it back in muscle.

(For the record, I'm 4'10'' and 109 lbs)

-This goal will happen by my working out and ideally improving on that front, plus eating better.

-I'm guessing that my BF is around 23%-25%

3.) Work on my diet, eat less-to-no processed foods, and try to do one Paleo meal a day. And track my food intake!

-I feel like this is going to be my biggest challenge, right up front.

-I'm also hesitant on trying Paleo, for a variety of reasons, but I want to cut my carb consumption and I need to eat more protein.

LVL 2 Warrior

STR: 6 | DEX: 2 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 | CH: 3

And I do, for the most part. I have a fairly basic one that I like for lifting and I have a variety of body-weight and HIIT exercises I tend to do on the days or if I can't get to the rec. I'm on my own figuring a lot of this out, well, till I joined here anyway. I read a basic book on lifting and used his workouts for about two weeks, then modified it to be less complicated, and now am sticking to the lifting basics from the article I found online at this website and it matches with the ones I've read on a few others. I'm not just too sure on the sets/reps.

Here's what I was thinking for a strength plan.

Workout A

Barbell Squat 5x5

Dead lift 5x5

Bench Press 5x5

Dumbbell Rows 3x10

Plank 2x30sec, third set as long as possible.

Workout B

Dumbbell Lunges 3x10

Straight Leg Dead Lift 5x5

Push up 5x10

Overhead Press 5x5

Mountain Climbers

LVL 2 Warrior

1.) My Squat hasn't gone up this week.

My Bench went up by 5 lbs though!! :-)

My Dead lift went up by 10, putting me at 80lbs :-)

2.) I weighted myself on a better scale. (I used the one at the rec, it put me at 125 0.o)) I weight 110, after eating lunch.

3.)So far, I have had a paleo meal each day. My main problem is whenever I go home, sadly, since my family is huge on carbs and potatoes and cream. However, I've done alright so far.

LVL 2 Warrior

Hey, welcome!

I feel your pain with diet being a challenge. It can be real hard to resist the junk some times. Also, hang in there with squats, you're not alone in problems increasing weight. I went backwards on it this week. Keep up the hard work.

"No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

1 Corinthians 9:27

Hardcore- Thanks for that :-) It doesn't help that I haven't been able to workout at regularly as I would like, due to scheduling and classes/homework. I wish you luck!

Ancalagon- How simple are you talking? It sounds like your insanity is pretty up there! Nothing wrong with that though. How long does it take you to do your routine?

Roaring- I completely agree! My weekend was a mess, between family functions and going out and my mom offering me double fudge brownies with ice cream and doing her 'you're too thin' pout when I refuse. I'm back at school now and will be eating better for the most part. o.0'' I hope. I made some awesome protein bars the other week that were my 'grab n go' snack of choice. Or breakfast for that matter.

So, this weekend was a food fest. But I got a new pair of trainers that are actually those minimal running shoes that Nike has. (I wasn't totally sure when I bought them, and they were $23 on clearance so I wasn't about to ask too many questions). My plan this week is to run on my non-lifting days and stick to a healthy eating plan. Eating better, and within calorie range, trumps the extra runs though.And depending, I might try some yoga next weekend.

LVL 2 Warrior

Well, since I was lazy yesterday, here's both days.

Oct. 1

Squat- 60lbs

Deadlift -80lbs

Bench- 55lbs (I'M SOOOO HAPPY ))

Dumbbell Rows - 25lbs

Yesterday I also started my mostly Paleo (80%) diet. It was alright. I forgot to bring snacks with me to campus and was insanely hungry for a while.

Today, I went for a short run. I haven't been keeping up like I normally do and tried to run too hard. o.0'' I also decided to sign up for a Half-Marathon in April, and a Tough Mudder. The Tough Mudder is the week after the Half, but they're both in April and I'm pretty sure I'll have enough time to get in race shape and a game plan for training and resting.

Diet wise, I think I did alright. My mom sent me some organic-crazy-homemade bread back with me from the weekend and I had some for breakfast and regretted it soon afterwards. So...that was interesting. But other than that, I've been snacking more than I normally do, usually eating green beans or carrots.

Weight wise, I'll try to weight myself Sunday or Saturday morning.

LVL 2 Warrior

When I first started lifting with Starting Strength, I did alternating squat-bench-deadlift and squat-overhead press-deadlift. Not that you have to change your routine,but I made the best gains on my lifts alternating these two workouts three times a week. So if you're short on time, you could consider condensing your workout even more.

Or if you like what you're doing, by all means stick to it!

Also, I made the transition away from sugars and grains slowly (and it's still a work in progress). But I'm eating far less of a grains-based diet now, and feel much better. I think for me specifically, the wheat's the problem. I also discovered an egg allergy along the way, which I'd never noticed before, but it's a definite issue I notice now. I think eliminating so many things helps yousee how your body really reacts to different foods, which is definitely a learning experience!

Good luck!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Thanks :-) I'm worried that I'm flatlined on my deadlift, but, you never know.

Ancalagon: I like how it's simple. A lot of workout plans I see are so intense and complex, there's multiple steps to everything! What do you do when you plateau though?

My main problem is not always having access to a weight room/barbells. o.0''

Kelly: I've limited mine to once a day until my supply ends. So, this means that the half loaf and some oatmeal are the only grains I'll be eating. With a small cheat of popcorn once in a while....It's my addiction. I pop it myself though, no pre-package nonsense. I'm mainly doing this to increase my protein intake, because it's hard for me to eat a lot of it. I am hoping to gain an aversion to grains though. Having an egg allergy would make things hard, especially on Paleo. I do notice a huge difference when I only eat what I make, and only buy non-processed foods.

Thanks!!! :-)

Same to you!

LVL 2 Warrior

For your lifts, doing the same lifts a few times a week might give you better progress. I stalled on deadlifts until I started doing them every workout (3X a week). Same with squats. And if I could have picked a favorite child (bench or OHP) I would have done that 3X a week - but I found I could only maximize those lifts if I did them alternating days. If I have time, I'll throw in some bent row or inverted rows for back.

So you might try a routine like that, where you're doing the lifts you really want to improve (for example, maybe deadlifts since you mentioned it) every workout. I bet you'll see improvement faster than you think.

Is this still what you're doing?

Workout A

Barbell Squat 5x5

Dead lift 5x5

Bench Press 5x5

Dumbbell Rows 3x10

Plank 2x30sec, third set as long as possible.

Workout B

Dumbbell Lunges 3x10

Straight Leg Dead Lift 5x5

Push up 5x10

Overhead Press 5x5

Mountain Climbers

What if instead you did:

Workout A

Squat

Bench

Deadlift

Row

Planks

Workout B

Lunges (or stick to squats, if you aren't too worried about lunges yet)

Overhead Press

Deadlift

Pushups

Mountain Climbers

SetsXReps for all are 5X5 (except for the planks/mountain climbers)

That way you'd get the heavy legs in every workout. And as long as you're recovering well enough, you'd probably see faster gains. Focus on form. And as soon as you get your working weight in, increase the next time.

If you stall at a specific weight, deload and work back up to it. For me, a lot of it is mental.

And make a goal to increase every so often. For example, I'd try to do more weight every workout. But when I really did hit some maxes, I'd try to do even one or two reps at a higher weight, then go back to my lower working weight. Do whatever you can to keep moving forward.

Hope that helps. Sounds like you were asking for plateau advice.

tl;dr plateau advice: Same lifts more often.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I like simple, effective plans. I get overwhelmed by more complicated plans like the 5/3/1 or Texas method. I have stuck to this for about 6 months and have seen very nice gains. When I plateau, I deload 10 pounds and lift that until I can lift that with perfect form. Then I keep hacking away at the plateau weight. Sometimes I don't deload but I keep pushing at it every workout and finally it breaks.

For instance, it took me 3 weeks to go from 140lbs to 145lbs on the bench but then only about 6 weeks to progress to 175lbs (which is approx. 5 lbs / workout gain) I have seen similar patterns in all my lifts but I am like a mad dragonling and I keep gnashing away at it. Maybe its not more scientific than a lot more methods out there but I like the simplicity of it. I eat enough and sleep enough and I know that sooner or later, those weights will be moved. :)

Moreover, in the last 6 months, I have actually lost an average of 5 lbs while increasing my lifts from nothing to something respectable considering my body weight. When I started, my average body weight was between 180 and 185lbs on my 5'6" frame (which means I look very stocky, if not downright fat) But, my lifts went up and my body weight actually decreased by an average of 5lbs so much so that it is approximately between 175 and 180lbs on any given day. Weight loss is not my main target right now so I really don't care but it proves that my simple plan of eating 80% primal (i.e. as much is reasonably possible given that I am a poor student so that it does not break the bank) and sticking to a constant game plan actually works.

But perhaps, the greatest indication that I had improved my general health was as follows. I could now walk 15 minutes uphill to my lab without dying (which was what used to happen earlier; in fact I used to drive such a short distance to prevent me from walking). Moreover, I can also sweep one of my really good friends off her feet effortlessly (she is about 5'7" and 200lbs) which I consider a great achievement. She was very surprised at that. :P

Sorry for writing so much on your thread but I felt as if I should give my rationale/thinking/results behind simple workout plans.

Ancalagon The Black. Half Dragon Spellsword

3.) Work on my diet, eat less-to-no processed foods, and try to do one Paleo meal a day. And track my food intake!

-I feel like this is going to be my biggest challenge, right up front.

-I'm also hesitant on trying Paleo, for a variety of reasons, but I want to cut my carb consumption and I need to eat more protein.

I'm the exact same way. I don't usually have problems when it comes to working out, it's all the tempting chocolate and delicious baked goods that are the bane of my existance.

Good on ya with the bench press gains! Now that I'm paying more attention to adding weight, my squat is faaaaar outpacing my bench. I was expecting it, but it's still annoying.

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

Kelly- Thanks for the advice! Is the order of the work out that important? I generally try to do them in a certain order, more like the one you listed, but it just depends whats opened in the gym I workout at. For some reason, they put a ton of free weights, and machine/bench presses in a fairly tiny room that works well with 10 people. And 30 like to work out at the same time, almost constantly. And I've gathered that 5x5 is the standard fair for most lifting, whys that? Should I rest a full 60secs between sets as well? I hope I'm not asking too many questions. A lot of my guy friends lift, but they're really douchy about the whole thing and talk to me like I'm a moron if I ask anything. Or disagree with them.

When I started lifting, a friend told me to not be afraid of the bigger weights, right after asking what I was doing and how much I was lifting. I doubt 50lbs is considered 'small weights'. Another was always bragging about his lifting and stuff, then would get crazy silent if I asked anything about it. Which makes me doubt how much he knows. -.-''

Ancalagon- I don't mind the writing :-) I got insanely proud when biking up that awful hill too and from campus doesn't make me winded. However, the crazy skinny people who bike like mad always annoy me...I'm dying and they're doing just fine...Congrats on the loss and gains though :-) I want to actually loose body fat. For once. I mainly gain muscle and the fat just moves elsewhere (not really, but, it seems like that). I'm also a poor college (well, grad) student trying paleo. 80%. As in I'm using up whatever grains I have that need to be eaten. Like bread. Or some oatmeal. Plus I'm out of eggs.

Cruella- Thanks!!! :-) I wanna be the best I can be. A friend of a friend is a professional body builder and even though I don't know her, I sooooo wanna ask her what her routine and diet is. And how she doesn't cheat. I love sweets. And eating. (apparently its in the genes).

LVL 2 Warrior

Oct 3 2012

Goals 1 & 2- Well, I didn't work out today. Mom came into town for the afternoon and we got gourmet cupcakes (you know you be jellin') which put me in a sugar-crash an hour later. I felt like I was dying. o.0'

Tomorrow I'm planning on going on a decent-length run, but we'll see how that goes.

Goals 3- Eating mostly paleo...Well, cupcake didn't let that happen too well. But otherwise, my meals were pretty paleo today. Eggs and cheese for breakfast. Turkey and cheese for lunch. Cupcake halves with mom. We got White Wedding and Triple Chocolate. Baked chicken with veggies in tomato sauce for dinner. With additional garlic. So much garlic. ^^

Edit--Update---I also registered for my first ever half marathon in April!!!! :-)

LVL 2 Warrior

I usually make a bulk dinner and eat that for lunch over the week. This week I made a baked chicken with veggies covered in tomato sauce. (I get frozen chicken, totally not paleo, but my stipend needs to cover food, bills, and gas for a month). When I go home, my mom always sends food back with me. I saw a recipe, or a dozen, for paleo pancakes that look promising. You can probably make those and reheat during the day for lunch.

Another thing I pre-paleo was make broccoli fritters, and the paleo version uses almond flour but I also saw using cauliflower to hold the fritters together. Make those the night before and they keep and reheat well, and fill you up. Add a burger to it, making it the bun, and I bet it be crazy tasty!

I also use whatever I made bulk-wise that week into a salad topping if I think it'll work. So the pasta sauce wouldn't work too well. But feta and almonds and olive oil make good toppings, along with different veggies. I'm really wanting to make my own chicken salad too. And homemade mayo!! :-)

LVL 2 Warrior

A lot of my guy friends lift, but they're really douchy about the whole thing and talk to me like I'm a moron if I ask anything. Or disagree with them.

I hate douchey meatheads! That's why I left my old gym, I'd be working in the squat rack and they'd keep eyeballing me and asking if I was finished yet. And then they would use it for bicep curls, gah! It sometimes suprises me that they've been doing this so long and still have no idea what they're doing.

Cruella- Thanks!!! :-) I wanna be the best I can be. A friend of a friend is a professional body builder and even though I don't know her, I sooooo wanna ask her what her routine and diet is. And how she doesn't cheat. I love sweets. And eating. (apparently its in the genes).

I've come to accept that "cheating" happens despite good intentions. For me, I'd much rather hang on to that extra couple pounds and be able to enjoy my life rather than make myself miserable trying to be perfect. I think as long as you're making health decisions the majority of the time, a cupcake here and there won't hurt :)

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

Cruella, I agree. And I don't mind cheating too much as long as I don't do it a lot or often or consume a whole box of cookies in a sitting (so guilty of this o.0)). My main problem isn't the cheat itself, it's my lack of will power. I won't be hungry and decide I need to consume a whole box of cereal or granola or whatever it happens to be. And then I feel bad. I want to be able to 'cheat' responsibility, if that makes sense. I think I can have my cake and eat it too.

Speaking of which, I ate a pancake today. With honey and butter. And it was totally worth it. I also had an awesome run afterwards, made a new friend in the shape of a tiny terrier called Pip. I paused to wait for some trucks to clear the road, it was in a neighborhood, and Pip decided he needed to make friends with me. He's pretty adorable. I think it's a he anyway. So I broke my paleo pretty intense today but it's ok. I had a good run and even with some sad news, I still feel like I did good today. Even added in some pushups. ^^

LVL 2 Warrior

Goal 1

Squat- 65lbs

Dead- 90lbs

Bench- 65lbs

Row- 27.5 lbs

So, I think I've technically met my goals weight-wise. Everything is up by 20~ lbs, or more. (Minus the Row, I didn't actually have a plan on increasing that). Seeing this, I'm going to raise myself another 20 lbs. Which would put my ideal weight goals at this:

Squat- 65lbs --> 85lbs

Dead- 90lbs --> 110 lbs (which would be my body weight and kinda cool))

Bench- 65lbs --> 85lbs

Row- 27.5 lbs --> 45-50lbs (to give myself some leeway)

Goal 2

So, I weighted myself today. For the record, I haven't really weighted myself before the challenge started. I guessed I was at 109 or so.

Today, as in this morning, I was 111. -.-''' I know it's a number and for all I know, it's probably just muscle and not more fat. It doesn't help that I ate everything yesterday. Seriously. But, I did have a vain moment and flex my arms, and legs, and poked my stomach. Stomach still jiggles. For the record. The arms don't as much. Same with the legs. ^^ This made me happy. I should probably take a progress picture next week, for my own sake.

Goal 3

Which has become my 80% paleo goal. It's gone alright today. Had an omelette and a slice of bread (shhh, i know..i know). Then baked chicken and veggies in tomato sauce. Snacked on an apple, jerky, almonds and craisins. Still debating on what dinner should be. xP

LVL 2 Warrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines