Training for a GoRuck

nightlight

Been reading this thread?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16804-GoRuck-Challenge-Anyone-ever-done-one

Here's where we'll talk about training for the GoRuck Challenge.

(more detail later...)

• Like 2

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

My ruck is on it's way! I desperately needed a new schelpping bag and I want to break my ruck in....sooooo w discount at registration I bought one.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

My ruck is on it's way! I desperately needed a new schelpping bag and I want to break my ruck in....sooooo w discount at registration I bought one.

me too. got the radio ruck, and LOVE it.

• Like 1

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

So I have gotten the ruck. And my plan of attack closely follows the 70sbig article about ruck training and lifting.

I am going to set aside two days a week for ruck walks with 4 bricks at the beginning, working up to an hour walk. After I hit the hour I am going to increase to 6 bricks and back down to 45min and work back up. After I can hit an hour with 6 bricks I'll add in water blatter and food stuffs and repeat.

Once at an hour with all gear, I'll have one day for long ruck (1+ hours), and one day for short speedy ruck say 1.5mile ruck at a decent jog/walk cycle.

I have 108 days until my challenge. I think it is doable. I need to structure it better but this is the general idea.

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Woot Woot!

OK, number one piece of advice, is time under the ruck. Just wear it. Sometimes with your full brick complement while "training", other times just using it for your everyday stuff plus maybe one brick or an extra book or whatever. Just get used to it.

Do some PT style calisthenics with it, focusing on pushups, squats, lunges, and bearcrawls (ugh). Other stuff might come up in the Challenge, but you can handle it when it does it you're solid in those four other movements. It'll suck, but that's the point. A lot of it will be teamwork stuff, anyway. But the welcome party will smoke you. Don't worrk about being a PT machine or anything like that, as you'll be huffing one way or the other, but it's good to at least get a sense for how they feel with a loaded ruck.

Don't worry too much about long runs with the pack. If anything, avoid them. Quick-paced marching will be fine, and will prep you better than a stress fracture will anyday. ;) Seriously, if running is your thing and you really really wanna run with weight, hey, y'gotta do what y'gotta do, but it's really not necessary. With rare exceptions, all the running at the Challenge is gonna be more like trotting, since you'll have to stick in a tight formation and (broken record here) you only move as fast as your slowest members. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE TEAM. You may be punished for missing your timehacks, but not as bad as you will for your team falling apart (read: Welcome Party all over again).

• Like 1

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Ooooh good call on the calisthenics. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if I can use it during my CF warmups since we do a lot of bear crawling, lunges, push up variations, and what not. I am sure I can, CF people be crazy anyway.

I currently use my ruck as a work/school bag (Which consists of behemoth laptop, small tool kit, 24oz coffee thermos, 1 book 3 notebooks). I wear it during the day to get used to the ruck and to break in the shoulder straps.

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

me too. got the radio ruck, and LOVE it.

I got the echo. Do you think that's too small - says it's okay for 4 bricks in a challenge.

I'm planning to schlep it everywhere with my daily load and then add starter bricks once in a while.

I'm going to train with both a weight vest and my pack. Fortunately, I kinda like bear crawling.... ;-) I really appreciate the advice. I have lots and lots of time to prepare unless I bite the bullet and do one in DC a little sooner.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I got the echo. Do you think that's too small - says it's okay for 4 bricks in a challenge.

I'm planning to schlep it everywhere with my daily load and then add starter bricks once in a while.

I'm going to train with both a weight vest and my pack. Fortunately, I kinda like bear crawling.... ;-) I really appreciate the advice. I have lots and lots of time to prepare unless I bite the bullet and do one in DC a little sooner.

if they say the echo is good for a challenge, then it's good :) i got the radio because i like a little more space, and it will fit my work computer or my home laptop for travel. really using it as an investment bag.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Confirming that java is the sh*t, and pretty much the chilliest dog I've ever met.

I've got the GR1, and I use it for pretty much everything. Work, overnight trips, the gym, whatever. Also, after a trip through the washing machine, it's like new after the CMC.

Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf Ranger

Level: 4 STR: 10.5 DEX: 6 STA: 11 CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Height: 5'9" Weight: 175lbs Age: 25

"Under Promise, Over Deliver"

Went for my first ruck walk this evening. 32mins TUR (time under ruck)

It got me thinking: Nutrition. What's a good idea to take along for the ride? I mean it's 10-12 hours and I am gonna be hungry. Ideas? Thoughts?

You'll never be stopping long enough to prep anything, so best bet is just a sack of energy gels, GU blocks, energy beans, and maybe some cliff bars for something a little more substantial. Some trails mix can be a nice treat. Jerky would be fine too, but even that might be "hard" to eat.

Is that energy stuff the healthiest thing in the world? Nope. And it sure isn't something paleo peole are gonna like. But it's quick calories, and electrolytes.

I brought along a 4 pack of 5 Hour Energies and broke 'em out and passed them around to people right near me during one part where everyone was hurting, and even if it was psychological, it boosted spirits and energy.

I ended up bringing more food than I needed, and I think most people do. But, if you're running stuff like energy gels and such, the extra weight is pretty negligible, and it's good to have them to pass out to people that don't.

I stored it all in a quart-sized freezer ziplock bag thing. Then I'd usually have one or two packets of gel and one packet of GU blocks in one cargo packet, and a cliffbar (and ranger candy ;) ) in the other, restocking the pockets at breaks.

(also, while not strictly food, you'll find it in the same area at the store, so, remember electrolyte tabs for your water.)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

I did my first real ruck run today (meaning it was at a trot/jogging pace as opposed to just walking). I don't have a way to weigh the ruck, so I'm guessing it was around 30lbs. I loaded it with two massive hardback text books (one is pushing 500 pages alone), one of my weightlifting shoes, and a 3L hydration bladder. I ran/joggoed/trotted just under 4 miles, and went up and down the Santa Monica stairs once (which is a set of very long, very steep stairs in the SM hills). I also did 25 of each (squats, lunges, pushups) with the ruck on.

All in all I think it went pretty well, only my lower back started to kill me. Not because of the weight bouncing off of my lower back (as I rigged the books into the top of my mole webbing in my ruck - as recommended), but because of the constant friction of the ruck on my back at a running pace. Essentially, my lower back felt like one giant Indian burn (remember those). I had always planned on picking up a compression shirt to wear under my t-shirt, but didn't have one for this instance. I hope that solves my problem. Anyone else feelin' my pain?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5635[/ATTACH]

post-8821-13567245013491_thumb.jpg

post-8821-13567245013491_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

The compression shirt is key. Use heat/coldgear as appropriate (it's worth springing for Under Armour). Wear that as your base layer, than a normal cotton t-shirt on top. It'll provide a little bit of extra padding, and will make you a bit more comfortable.

Look what came today! I loaded in two starter bricks, rucked them up two flights, will ruck them down, and to/from my mtg tonight!

post-5151-13567245047808_thumb.jpg

post-5151-13567245047808_thumb.jpg

I AM going the distance

define starter bricks?

which reminds me. i need to order some weights to put in mine. (gonna order 2 5lb iron plates -- for space reasons, this will work for my daily commute to and from work and the gym)

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Just two bricks poorly wrapped. Goal is break in ruck. This is replacing my every day bag so hoping to start taking 2 bricks any place I carry a bag and then work up.

Next task: buy hydration thingy

I AM going the distance

Look what came today! I loaded in two starter bricks, rucked them up two flights, will ruck them down, and to/from my mtg tonight!

Yay! Now the most important thing: What are you going to name him? The ruck needs a name.

addition regarding nutrition: if TREK ever comes back, and you hve the opportunity to do it, all my above information on nutrition goes right out the window. insead, plan on subsisting for about 48 hours on nothing but booze, caffeine, and tobacco. and paranoia.

(seriously. i ate about 2 ounces of jerky yesterday morning, and realized it was the first thing i'd eaten since friday morning!)

addition regarding nutrition: if TREK ever comes back, and you hve the opportunity to do it, all my above information on nutrition goes right out the window. insead, plan on subsisting for about 48 hours on nothing but booze, caffeine, and tobacco. and paranoia.

(seriously. i ate about 2 ounces of jerky yesterday morning, and realized it was the first thing i'd eaten since friday morning!)

Super jealous, that is all

Yay! Now the most important thing: What are you going to name him? The ruck needs a name.

Oh crap. I tend to name things

Bike-y, subi (when I had a subaru), etc. ruck deserves a good name like paolo or the force... Gotta think.

Rucked it to/from my meeting (1/2 mi) and up/down all my stairs (4flights) and filled it with veg from my garden....

I sooo want to ruck before june now

I AM going the distance

You know I have a dumb but relevant question: potty breaks? For me well hydrated means... Well...frequent stops.

Better question: hypothermia?

I AM going the distance

tobacco? um. how so? cigs?

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

You know I have a dumb but relevant question: potty breaks? For me well hydrated means... Well...frequent stops.

THIS

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Better question: hypothermia?

Stops will be made, but get comfortable with the idea of ducking into the woods. Also, you'll always always always take a buddy along.

As for hypothermia, well, depends on a lot of factors. Smart layering and avoiding cotton for the Challenge will go a long way.