Training for a GoRuck

nightlight

to be honest, I didn't train at all. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Ha ha ha I'm kind of interested in the one in New Hampshire mountains....https://www.goruck.com/Events/Navigator

And the CMC... Come on....do CMC....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Oh snap.  I want that navigator patch.  I'll be out on the West Coast for some rock climbing, hiking, old friends, etc.. that day.  One for next year, I guess.

... on second thought the Ascent still has my imagination.  It's the first GoRuck event I ever heard about and in a faux-flippant way getting to do that is the reason I'm doing a Challenge.  I'm sure the Challenge will make itself known as it's own entity in good time though (;

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

October NF GoRuck Light? 

I AM going the distance

OK, I am 8 weeks away from my first GRC as of 9:00pm tonight.  I am finding myself going through emotions from "I AM SO EXCITED, AND CAN'T WAIT!" to "WTH did I get myself into.  I'm not sure if I can do this."  I am assuming these are pretty common feelings people normally have before competing in big events for them.

My training routine has been lifting heavy Tuesday & Thursday, Yoga Wednesday, and misc conditioning Monday and Friday.  I have been rucking on my lunch hour with my ruck loaded for about 3.5-4 miles.  On these rucks I usually do 1 mile warmup, 1 mile no straps, light jogging, etc. to try to push myself.  Also I a planning on doing a "test run" next Saturday for about 15 miles.  Just to test out my setup and my abilities for that length of time.

So, how did you feel before your first GRC (I know some of you it has been a while  ^_^ )?  Did you feel you were ready for the hell you were about to put your body through?  What sort of training did you do in the last few weeks up to your event?  I am planning on making the week of my event a light training week.  Is this a good idea?

Any and all thoughts welcome.   :D

I was excited and determined and a smidge worried. 

I did not train with my ruck at all and I did not train in any special way for the event.

As a matter of fact, I didn't even make sure all my stuff fit and had a last minute dash to squish it in.  LOL. 

Don't over think it.  It's hard. It's really hard and it's going to be one of hardest things you'll do.  Just do it.  It's mental as much as physical.

Actually, it's really mental. 

I AM going the distance

Boston in October..... Interested???? Come on....

I AM going the distance

Thanks for the reply Cline.

So, if you did not train by rucking anywhere, or anything special, what does your normal training look like?

Just wondering.  Thanks.

Also, if I lived closer to Boston I would!  :tongue:

I lift heavy (power lifting w assistance exercises) 3x week, Muay Thai 3x week.  Occasional run of 5-10K. 

This is what I was doing in the 2mos prior to the ruck.  Prior to that I did a mix of functional fitness (kinda like CF), lifting, and Muay Thai with some running thrown in training for CMC.  I'm in decent shape.

I AM going the distance

hey everyone, just checking in to see how you are all doing on your goruck quest? Goruck and crossfit have pretty much taken up all the time in my fitness life these days. 

I've done 3 challenges so far and I have heavy on July 26th in DC. Everything is focused on that. I know some of you were looking at their first challenge when I was on here last, how did that go for everyone?

Also , my crew will be at Boston in October.. Cadre Bert has vowed to have us do 26+ miles because he only got us up to 22 miles in NYC a few weeks back. I will be wearing my Assassins Creed Outfit for the Challenge.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Man.. Tempted tempted tempted to do Boston but that would mean recovery at my parents' house.... Ewwwwww

I AM going the distance

This is my advice, as someone who has to ruck a lot for my job - at least once a week, often 12+ miles, and at a fast pace. 

Wear sock liners - they're like thin black dress socks, and wear them underneath a good pair of atheletic socks. I wear Rocky S2V military socks, those work great if you can find them online. This combo for most people = absolutely zero blisters or anything. My feet are always 100% fine even after very long distances. 

Get the lightest pair of comfortable boots possible, and make sure the inner sole is the right one for your foot (i.e. if you have flat feet, get a sole for flat feet). A lot of guys in the video use shoes, but I like the ankle support. 

You do not stop for water breaks during a ruck unless you're overheating. Wear a camelback - I put mine in my ruck and run the tube around to the front and place it around my collar, so sipping it is easy.

Bring plenty of cough drops and start sucking them when you need a pick-me-up, but make sure that you have enough for the whole ruck, Usually 4-5 do it for me, but at 15-20 miles you may need more than that. 

I'm paleo and all, but I eat a big bowl of cereal before a ruck because the immediately usable energy is absolutely needed. Too much and you'll be puking though. 

Bring a protein bar and something sugary in case you are running low on fuel.

Bring a canteen filled with gatorade, and if you do stop somewhere, replenish your electrolytes with said gatorade. 

Get a pace counter. Army Infantry pace would be 15 minutes or less per mile minimum, that's a great pace, although if you went to many places, like Air Assault School, that pace would be barely enough to pass. This might require some jogging, but mostly you just have to ruck a lot to get your body used to it. 

Do plenty of box jumps as they will build the explosive power needed to conquer steep hills with ease. 

Wear something like underarmor boxer briefs to prevent chaffing. Bring vaseline in case you do chafe, or if you can find it, there's this product that looks kind of like deodorant called anti-chafe and it works amazingly well. 

Bring sunglasses. 

If you can, start your rucks early to avoid the heat of the day, like 5 AM. 

During training pack extra weight. 

• Like 1

tl;dr is how I roll

folks there is a buddy sale at go ruck for lights.  Who's in? Can we coordinate something?  Somebody? 

I AM going the distance

I just saw this in my email. Veerrrrrry tempting.

SQUEEEEEE let's DOOOO EEET!!! I'm in.  Might get agent ska too.  SQUEEEEEEE

I AM going the distance

bigm I foget.... brain haz a hurt in the heat - where do you live? 

I AM going the distance

Hmmmm agent ska might be interested too. Is there an in between place where we can get cheapie airfare?

I AM going the distance

Ohhhhhhhh good freaking call!!!! Is there a date there?

Most excellent call. I'd totally do a light there.

I AM going the distance