Training for a GoRuck

nightlight

more pics are coming up-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6606[/ATTACH]

Thats me in the grey NF shirt crab walking behind that awesome dude with the two full backpacks and a block LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6607[/ATTACH]

me at the back of the inchworm push up line.. I loved this one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6608[/ATTACH]

This was the toughest drill for me.. it involved getting up, sprinting for 3 seconds, and dropping down.. across a large field. " I'm up.. they see me.. I'm down". only time during the mini that I lost my breath and couldn't get it back.

post-7922-13567245594069_thumb.jpg

post-7922-13567245594461_thumb.jpg

post-7922-13567245594823_thumb.jpg

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Looks like fun! My first GRC is just a little over a month away...and this week I completely slacked off after being sick last week with the flu. I have a lot of catching up to do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ranger Hound

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 2 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

Looks like fun! My first GRC is just a little over a month away...and this week I completely slacked off after being sick last week with the flu. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I got to experience what HALF a GRC is like, now doubling from 5 to 10 hours will be interesting. I'd train in crab walks and bear crawls because they may put you in a competition. at one point we had to sprint to these stairs, lunge up one ramp, bear crawl up the second, crab walk down two sets of stairs, then sprint back.. the team that got all their people through this first won. I suggest training these not really for the physical training, but getting your body use to doing them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

So I went out for a ruck walk this morning. You know since it was below freezing. I gotta say I am not looking forward to the mid-January GRC. I am going to be a whiny sniffle-y mess. I hate the cold. I need better cold weather gear.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

So I went out for a ruck walk this morning. You know since it was below freezing. I gotta say I am not looking forward to the mid-January GRC. I am going to be a whiny sniffle-y mess. I hate the cold. I need better cold weather gear.

EASY DAY...ALL DAY!

Also " suffer in silence" ;p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://socialcam.com/v/MCx5U2j0?autostart=true

here is us doing sponge bob square pants in the stream LOL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's awesome Random, I wanted to come to that but I was in SC doing silly running things instead.

So I just bit the bullet hard and bought a 5-pack....

I'm currently signed up for:

1/12 - Philly 1am

2/23 - Ft. Bragg 1am

4/6 - NYC 1am

4/27 - DC 1am

5/11 - Baltimore 1am

I'm only absolutely committed to doing NYC and Ft Bragg, all other dates/locations are still pretty flexible as cool opportunities come up.

Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf Ranger

Level: 4 STR: 10.5 DEX: 6 STA: 11 CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Height: 5'9" Weight: 175lbs Age: 25

"Under Promise, Over Deliver"

Random, I just noticed the pink cinder block, my absolute favorite coupon. We had it for the NYC CMC, so entertaining seeing people smile when they see it. My favorite was this one dude who was like "It must be a prop", tried to take it from somebody and dropped it on his foot. Good times.

Don't stress about increasing to 10-12 hours, after hour 5 or 6 its all mental.

Go ruck some stuff NOW!!! Do some sit-ups, planks, and bear crawls!!!!

We're cheering for you!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

My first GRC is now less then two months away. I've already experienced some of what it's like doing a mini and I have another mini in NYC in a few weeks before doing the full one.

a few times a week I wake up at 6am, get in my compression and cold weather gear with the bricks and my gr1 and my headlamp and I go to the local park. I do some jogging around the soccer fields, dropping to do 10 push ups here and there. I also practice bear crawls, crab walks and sniper drills. It's funny how you get use to the weight and it doesn't feel nearly as heavy as the first time you ever put it on.

also BigM , is it this weekend? good luck brother!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So my GORUCK is a week away. I feel woefully unprepared. 

Halp! 

SQUEEEEEEEEE!!! are you so excited?  Are you ready?  Wheeeee!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

So my GORUCK is a week away. I feel woefully unprepared. 

Halp! 

Good Luck BigM!  You'll do fine, whenever you have your s*** moments during the challenge, smile and help the person next to you.  Don't think, just do.

I'm doing Philly 1am this Saturday, any locals who want to come check it out the starting point is the Rocky Steps (Philly Museum of Art)

also BigM , is it this weekend? good luck brother!

Yup. 49 hours and counting. 10pm class. 

SQUEEEEEEEEE!!! are you so excited?  Are you ready?  Wheeeee!

I am in a state of zen like calm. Or at least trying to be. The weather situation (cold and rainy) is not helping 

Good Luck BigM!  You'll do fine, whenever you have your s*** moments during the challenge, smile and help the person next to you.  Don't think, just do.

Thanks! I'll remember that. That's all I wantto focus on. Ignore my misery and help others because if I focus on my stuff I'll stop. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Yup. 49 hours and counting. 10pm class. 

I am in a state of zen like calm. Or at least trying to be. The weather situation (cold and rainy) is not helping 

Thanks! I'll remember that. That's all I wantto focus on. Ignore my misery and help others because if I focus on my stuff I'll stop. 

Oh, you have this! You are big and strong and quick to help out.  I think you are going to have a blast.  You'll forget it's cold and rainy in no time! 

You are going to have great stories.  You'll be a strong teammate!!

I AM going the distance

Happy dance!

Sits wistfully w chin in hands waiting for story.....

I AM going the distance

Nice, can't wait to hear your AAR, Philly was a blast, I'll post some pictures once the shadow posts them, but I was in much better shape afterwards this time around.  Lots of work to do before Ft. Bragg, but I can't wait.

Welp, all registered up for another Challenge, and I'll soon be adding Trek and Navigator.  Oof.

Will also be joining a coworker on his quest for the patch by tagging along on a Light.

I predict lots of Good Livin' in 13!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Welp, all registered up for another Challenge, and I'll soon be adding Trek and Navigator.  Oof.

Will also be joining a coworker on his quest for the patch by tagging along on a Light.

Woohoo, I'll be at Trek, Navigator is a $$ casualty, probably do it in '14 though.  Trek is filling up fast though, I think the East Coast Florida is sold out, and West Coast is close.  Which challenge are you doing?

I added NOLA on 2/9, but I might cancel due to potential Super Bowl plans (Go Ravens).

We should pick a fall challenge to get as many nerds in as possible.  I think September would be best for me.  For those on the fence, I find a long-term goal is the best way to bite the bullet and do it.  Plus if there are a bunch of Nerds there you'll have lots of company in "good livin'"

Nice! There is a Light I am contemplating on doing in April. Other than that I plan at least one more challenge and then an attempt at Heavy next year. Why? Because I am insane. Either a Heavy or B2B for a challenge. 

Oh, and pics of my night of good livin here

Cold water at the beginning basically sucked the life outta me for 3 hours. Two of our team leaders got incapacitated. Lots of raised feet pushups. The canoe pushups (big circle where your feet is on the shoulders of the person behind you) were a new level of suck. 

The carrying of the guard rail sucked because I was the tallest one there so most of the weight fell on me. I estimate it was somewhere around 500lbs worth of weight. This is the one time being tall sucked. 

The big pelican mystery box contained a very nice sunrise surprise :D

Oh, and let's not forget the "love bucket". Metal pail full of concrete that we had to carry to hold the flag whenever we stopped for more pushups. Yeah and we couldn't let that or the box touch the ground. 

Happiness at the end when I got my patch. Cadre asked " What are you tired?" Me: " No Cadre, let's go again" Him: "Hahah, I'll see you at the Heavy." 

IMG_6066-2327967313-O.jpg

Nice! There is a Light I am contemplating on doing in April. Other than that I plan at least one more challenge and then an attempt at Heavy next year. Why? Because I am insane. Either a Heavy or B2B for a challenge. 

Oh, and pics of my night of good livin here

Cold water at the beginning basically sucked the life outta me for 3 hours. Two of our team leaders got incapacitated. Lots of raised feet pushups. The canoe pushups (big circle where your feet is on the shoulders of the person behind you) were a new level of suck. 

The carrying of the guard rail sucked because I was the tallest one there so most of the weight fell on me. I estimate it was somewhere around 500lbs worth of weight. This is the one time being tall sucked. 

The big pelican mystery box contained a very nice sunrise surprise :D

Oh, and let's not forget the "love bucket". Metal pail full of concrete that we had to carry to hold the flag whenever we stopped for more pushups. Yeah and we couldn't let that or the box touch the ground. 

Happiness at the end when I got my patch. Cadre asked " What are you tired?" Me: " No Cadre, let's go again" Him: "Hahah, I'll see you at the Heavy." 

Whatever you do, don't get drunk with fellow rucktards and buy a holiday 5-pack, meaning 10-challenge passes.

Glad you had fun! It's always amazing to me how many things are different from challenge to challenge, but how the experience remains the same. Be prepared to not be able to stop talking about it to all of your friends and spending far too much money on gear/events. Don't worry, there's a bunch of us with that screw loose.

LOVE the pics Big!

When I walked out the door today  it was 7 degrees.. did a 2.5 mile run in this setup. I think I actually found a good balance. I was never cold and I also never got to the point where I was sweating too much(yes I was sweating in 7 degrees) too much and I had to take head and hand coverings off.

Gear list - 
- Underarmor cold gear top and bottom.
- Champion "weather" gear top and bottom(bought at target.. not really sure WHAT to call em)
- long sleeve normal cotton shirt( my "Liberty is life" shirt :tongue:) in between the underarmor and champion clothes.

after that I had two pairs of socks I use for my winter barefoot running( yes I run just in socks) but this time I wore the same sneakers I'm using for GR. I had the little "ninja" head covering and a beanie. I then had underarmor gloves and a pair of New Zealand ice breaker wool gloves.

50ffd5d27f322_WP_000035.jpg

I'm doing a GR Mini this Saturday morning in NYC and my first GRC is a month away exactly!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]