Cacophony's Grind

Maybe you should just dye the rest of your gi hot pink then? How about buying people hot pink gi's for the fundraiser? It would be hilarious for a group photo ;)

..... I already own the white Atama with the hot pink embroidery and detailing... the entire pink thing seemed a bit loud. And you can't see the blood on a totally pink gi. What's the fun of really breaking it in if you can't see the blood? *looks innocent*

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

Cacophony's Grind

Friday, February 5th, 2011

REST DAY - BJJ kicked my small postural muscles into a cramping frenzy. Taking the smart instead of stubborn route today and letting them heal up a bit before I load again.

Lots of stretchy, unweighted, movement breaks throughout the day to get the blood flowing. 30 minutes dancing to Bear in the Big Blue House with the three year old and 15 minutes of Bunny Hops on all fours with Zaboomafoo.

Saturday, February 6th, 2011

I'd like to say I fit in my workout today, however.... Started grooming dogs at 8 in the morning and didn't even have time to break to eat until after 7pm. Dragged basement blind self out to Sensei's house to watch the UFC, shared a bottle of wine with his wife, and my workout consisted of repeatedly deadlifting and curling 11 dogs one at a time.

Sunday is going to be FUN! I have some ground to make up.

Sunday, February 6th, 2011

70 Minute Photo Shoot

While technically this isn't a standard workout...

Holding isometric tension for extended periods of time in some unnatural feeling but apparently natural looking positions is HARD. If I break a sweat, I count it as work.

60 Minutes Bouldering

The place was quiet and out of that 60 minutes, I'd say 45-50 were spent physically ON the wall. I actually lunged for my first handhold today!!! AND I figured out my first corner. I need a hot bath and a nap.

Challenge: Today was technically not a rest day, however I've got three hugely heavy work out days coming up this week and tomorrow morning is heavy dead and power clean day. It was also my first day with no kidlets in a couple so I took advantage and did a little more soul workout than physical grinding it out. =)

Monday, February 7th, 2011

Bright and Screaming Early at the Gym - Deadlift Day

(Note: The 1 hour time limit kind of bites but it's better'n nothing)

Warm-Up: walking one circuit, running at moderate speed two circuits of the track

Technical Drill: Postural assessment, bar only x 10

Deadlift: 55lbs x 10

Deadlift: 65lbs x 10

Deadlift: 75lbs x 10

Deadlift: 95lbs x 10, x 10, x 7 (grip fatigue)

Rest breaks between sets were 45-60 seconds or long enough to change plates

Cool Down: running at moderate speed 2 circuits, walking 1

Static stretching - 10 minutes, hips calves, hamstrings focus

28-Day Challenge: Snatches ... fifteen minutes before F.A.S.T. started.

F.A.S.T. Class Evening - Evil. I Don't know how else to describe it

Warm up - 25 swings with the 24kg (Still warm from snatching)

Strict pressing a pair of 8kg while seated, legs wide x 10

Weird Scissor Sit-ups WHILE pressing a pair of 8kg x 10

Rocking Sit-ups with the pair of 8kg racked x 20

Straight Leg Raises combined with a Rocking Sit up with, you guessed it, pair of 8kg x 20

Knee Tucks combined with a Rocking Sit up, pair of 8kg x 20

One Leg Tucking, One Leg glued elbow to Quad combined with Rocking Sit up, pair of 8kg x 20 per leg

Last five minutes of class:

Alternating Straight Leg Raises with Knee Tucks combined with the Rocking Sit up AND a Strict Double Press... they were some kind of odd seated Thruster complex... with the pair of 8kg. Go until fatigue. Breathe a minute. Try again. And again.

15, 8, 8

So toasted afterwards I totally forgot to stretch out and kind of wandered home. Still out of it a little.

Tuesday, February 8th, 2011

Wow.

F.A.S.T. Class 1 - Quad Killer

50 Swings with a 20kg - someone snitched the 24

Around the room in a circle (Probably about 15m? SO guessing):

Tiki Walking forward x 2

Tiki Walking Cardinal Forward, each direction (always facing the same wall)

Tiki Walking One Leg with the toe touching only, each direction

Quad Hops x 2

Quad Hops facing Cardinal Forward

Workout Complex: Quad Hops with a 12kg in Goblet carry, on the switch standing and swinging, on the switch kb back up and hopping. 3 minutes

F.A.S.T. Class 2 - Plank Focus

Warm-Up: 35 Swings with the 28kg because I was being lippy

Normal Plank Hold - 60 seconds

Plank Hold, One Arm Extended - Each Arm 60 seconds

Side Plank - Each Side 60 seconds

Partner Planks - Added Resistance, Much Falling Over, Much Fun

Side Plank, Fingers Laced, Hands at roughly chest height - Each Side 60 sec

Side Plank, Hands Flat, Arm Fully Extended - Each Side 60 sec

Side Plank further apart, Hands Hooked, Waist Height - Each Side 60 sec

Work Out: Tabata of double 12kg kettlebell alternating rows

BJJ Class -2nd One!!! 1.5 Hours - Neck Strengthening Focus

Really cool class tonight.

Warm up involved the usually jogging and then Partner 3-Legged stuff - jogging, deep knee bends, jumping jacks, and bootstrappers with the Partner.

Lots and lots of shoulder rolling and neck drills, which are FUN. At one point we had five blue belts with their hands linked trying to simulatneously shouleder roll the length of the dojo. First few attempts were a train wreck.

Challenge: Doing those three classes with a five minute break between them is still at the horribly exhausting stage. I figure another two weeks before I adapt and don't feel like I've been driven over a few times. The foam roller may be my best friend this morning.... (posting late, was too sleepy)

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gym in the AM

I have no real excuse beyond the fact that I seem to have completely dreamed going to the gym... because I woke up at home in bed. Apparently I was sleeping so hard that my boyfriend had to get up and hit off the alarm. He was sweet enough to wake up the kid aged person in time for school before he left for the gym an hour later.

F.A.S.T. Class - Push Ups and Dynamax Balls, Oh Joy

Warm Up - 50 swings with the 24kg

This gets complicated and I'll try to explain it clearly. Technically I did 50 pushups - 20 strict and 30 from a shortened lever (read: knees). They weren't just fun fun basic ones though.

We had 5 dynamax balls ranging in weight from 25lbs, 20lbs, 18lbs, 16lbs, and 10lbs. You start in the bottom part of the push up and your partner places the 25lb on your back for a 5 second count isometric hold. When it comes off, you do 5 push ups. Next comes the 20lb ball for a 5 second count isometric hold. When it comes off, you do 5 push ups. Then the 18lb... etc. Each partner goes down the weight ladder once then switches so you end up doing two sets.

Driving home was fun. The steering wheel was too high to hold onto at the proper 10:00 and 2:00 positions. Go team.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

This gets complicated and I'll try to explain it clearly. Technically I did 50 pushups - 20 strict and 30 from a shortened lever (read: knees). They weren't just fun fun basic ones though.

We had 5 dynamax balls ranging in weight from 25lbs, 20lbs, 18lbs, 16lbs, and 10lbs. You start in the bottom part of the push up and your partner places the 25lb on your back for a 5 second count isometric hold. When it comes off, you do 5 push ups. Next comes the 20lb ball for a 5 second count isometric hold. When it comes off, you do 5 push ups. Then the 18lb... etc. Each partner goes down the weight ladder once then switches so you end up doing two sets.

Driving home was fun. The steering wheel was too high to hold onto at the proper 10:00 and 2:00 positions. Go team.

I shudder in horror at your definition of fun ;)

Sounds like it was a good workout though...

Ugh... these doubled up days are seriously destroying the snatch part of my challenge.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

F.A.S.T. Class 1 - Oh Look, More Pushups

Warm Up: 25 swings with the 28kg - the 24kg was busy again

Slightly different push up progression: 18lb dynamax ball, isometric hold in the bottom of push up position for 5 seconds, 10 push ups. Isometric hold, 9 push ups. I had to drop to my knees after those ones. Isometric hold, 8 push ups and failure. No recovery time between yesterday and today might have something to do with that.

F.A.S.T. Class 2 - NOT push ups! Whoot!

Warm up: 25 swings with the 24kg, and we were only supposed to do 25

Animal Movements: Laz3rshark's new one, the SLUG

Start in plank position, creep feet towards elbows until you're all crunched up in a ball, walk out on forarms until you're back in plank. Then creep feet towards elbows until you're all crunched up in a ball... get it? Did I mention you're not allowed to put your knees down? And you're supposed to go slowly? Peachy. It's wonderful. Seriously. My quads LOVED it. Did two lengths of those

Slug: Pushing a dynamax ball in front of you. Two lengths. So much fun.

Partner Drill with the Dynamax ball: Sit up passes, feet off the floor, 5 min

Partner Drill, standing: Passing the dynamax ball, person throwing front lunges, person catching rear lunges, using the same leg. 1 minute intervals, switching legs, 4 rounds

BJJ Class: More partner drills, Rainbow sweep into mounted gillotine (which I bite at), self defense was rear bear choke into kimura (which I bite slightly less at... but very slightly)

Challenges: Arms. Dead. Wow. And I have to start leaving my frustration off of the mats. I hate the fact that I can see the move, understand the move, and I can't get my SELF to do the move. It's stuck in my head. I've got SO MUCH to catch back up on. It's only been three classes... it's only been three classes... it's only been three classes! LOL

Technically I've cut out the work outs I was doing at home the same day as FAST classes, so the second FAST class is really just a slightly more intense class... and because I was doing the extra workouts already it's been more of a progressive thing... and Laz3r's right. I'm not over training but I need to push harder than usual because I really don't have time to moderately progress if I want to be where I need to be for the certification. I'm boycotting and taking a solid week off all of the extra work outs when I'm done though!!! *grins*

I've just realized I haven't been tracking the 2.5-5km dog walks on the mornings I do them. Oooops. Oh well. I've taken a three day recoup break both because of school projects and to get a couple of my challenge goals out of the way. =)

Tuesday, February 15th, 2011

F.A.S.T. Class 1 - Metronome

Warm Up: 50 swings with the 24kg (NO BREAKS! Whoot!)

Cleans with a 12kg, 10 a side

Clean and Push Press 12kg, 10 a side

Double KB Cleans w/ 12kg, 10

Alternating Cleans 12kg, 10 a side

See-saw Push Press 12 kg, 10 a side

Metronome in sets of five, alternating rotation (I did 2 each side)

Metronome in sets of five + 5 squats, alternating rotation (I did 2 each side)

..... Laz3rshark is filming a DVD this summer. The metronome will be on it. It's sick. Crazy, even. I'm keeping my mouth shut until he says I can post details. *beams*

F.A.S.T. Class 2 - Balance Stability Ball Stuff

Warm Up: 50 Grenades (the sadistic cousin of the jumping jack)

Kneel on a swiss ball, progress to holding arms straight up overhead

When you can do that, count by threes as high as you can before falling over

Drop and rapid 15 Russian V-crunches

Kneel on swiss ball, holding a 16lb dynamax ball, press overhead

Kneel on swiss ball, bend over and pick up 16lb dynamax ball, press overhead

3 minutes of Choppers with the 16lb dynamax ball

BJJ CLASS... Yay!

Self defense drills, in the Guard drills, and ... would you believe I actually seem to be slowly remembering some of this stuff! WHOOT for not being completely new!

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

F.A.S.T. Class

Warm Up: 50 swings with a 20kg - 24 was taken again!

Double 12kgs Snatches x 10

Circuit: Snatches and Lock Offs on the Rings at the Top of Pull Up Position

Snatch 1, Strict Press 1, Snatch 1, Strict Press 2, Snatch 1, Strict Press 3

(I dropped down to double 8s just to get in an extra circuit)

Double 8kgs through the snatch circuit, 15 second Lock Off

Double 12kgs, 10 second Lock Off

Double 16kgs (kinda ugly on the presses), 10 second Lock Off

Double 16kgs (uglier on the presses), 8 second Lock Off

Double 16kgs (SLOW with breaks), 15 second Lock Off

Testing my Pull Ups - From a grounded position, I can pull up

From a hang position, I get stuck just passed the 90 degree angle

Testing my Pistols - ARGYDLSERUESLKRUED>!J@<# *sighs*

Challenge: Kinda bummed tonight. Since starting BJJ I took the double F.A.S.T. classes followed by the BJJ class as a heavy day and I've been using the intermittent days as "active rest" days attending just the one F.A.S.T. class... I've been slacking. Angry at myself and getting motivated.

@^@%#@#$!^!%@#$@ agreed.

This challenge sucks, but today is a new day, new opportunities and I'm here to kick your butt and tell you to work out *evil grin*. Oh wait. That's your job....I'd say you're doing awesome on the workouts, perhaps you just need to find something fitness wise that works for one hell of a f.a.s.t. class and your goals?

Or you could just get up off the couch and do some pistols! Then some pullups! Till failure! If you can still move, you're not trying hard enough!

Okay, maybe I'm not that good of a drill sergeant. Good luck :D

Or you could just get up off the couch and do some pistols! Then some pullups! Till failure! If you can still move, you're not trying hard enough!

That's part of the problem, so to speak! I'm not spending ANY TIME on the couch! It's either school, clients, or something domestic... The first time I sat down to watch a movie in the last two months it was one of the nine I get to watch as part of my Leadership Development Course! LOL By the way... 12'O Clock High from, like, 1947 is an AMAZING movie. Next I get to watch Hotel Rwanda...