Crossfit and Nerdfitness

Trad_Climb

I think this is one of the major problems at the core of crossfit. The fact that so many deviate from its principles.

That's assuming the principles are correct in the first place.

I love CrossFit. I'm just not convinced HQ knows what they're talking about. That's why I was picky about which gym I joined. Mine knows what they're doing.

The tshirt sponsorship would be more ironic. I mean, I'm sure the ladies don't mind but yeah, some times I wonder if he even knows how to put a tshirt on.

If you looked like that, how often would you wear a shirt?

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

I don't agree with Crossfit's lack of periodization. That and the whole "specialization is for the insects" talk isn't how the people are winning the games today.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

I don't agree with Crossfit's lack of periodization. That and the whole "specialization is for the insects" talk isn't how the people are winning the games today.

I don't want to start a CrossFit fight here. (I don't know why I always feel like I have to say that before I post something like this).

CFHQ programming is one set of programming in CrossFit that a very very very small set of people follow. No, those aren't the people winning the games.

There isn't a lack of periodization in CrossFit. We may not all use it in the exact traditional way, but we use it. (If you're looking for some of the best CrossFit Games programming out there, look at this programming as an example)

I sat down earlier this week with another coach and worked on programming for our athletes (crossfit and non), and a lot of it's based on periodization (a lot of us are training for specific meets too, so we're working around that). So it drives me crazy to hear people say "it has a lack of periodization". It doesn't. You're just only looking at one data point in a pool of thousands. (And yes, I know a lot of CrossFits don't. But a lot of them DO. That's all I'm saying.)

Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
And yes, I know a lot of CrossFits don't. But a lot of them DO.

This applies in just about any group activity you can think of. You should always be looking to the community/coaching/etc of the group you're considering joining, not the name on the door.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

I don't want to start a CrossFit fight here. (I don't know why I always feel like I have to say that before I post something like this).

CFHQ programming is one set of programming in CrossFit that a very very very small set of people follow. No, those aren't the people winning the games.

There isn't a lack of periodization in CrossFit. We may not all use it in the exact traditional way, but we use it. (If you're looking for some of the best CrossFit Games programming out there, look at this programming as an example)

I sat down earlier this week with another coach and worked on programming for our athletes (crossfit and non), and a lot of it's based on periodization (a lot of us are training for specific meets too, so we're working around that). So it drives me crazy to hear people say "it has a lack of periodization". It doesn't. You're just only looking at one data point in a pool of thousands. (And yes, I know a lot of CrossFits don't. But a lot of them DO. That's all I'm saying.)

The problem mainly lies in the issue of representation. It's called the CrossFit HeadQuarters, people are going to expect it to be a good representation of CF boxes worldwide. Problem is that it isn't.

To be honest I think all CF boxes that don't take any notes that much from CFHQ should sever ties with said HQ. It makes them look bad.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

So everyone who does any barbell training should follow the exact same programming? :)

it's a methodology, not an exact science. at level 1 they encourage programming and have methods they recommend you use. they don't recommend that you follow their programming, just their methodology. everyone's allowed to practice it however they want :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
The problem mainly lies in the issue of representation. It's called the CrossFit HeadQuarters, people are going to expect it to be a good representation of CF boxes worldwide. Problem is that it isn't.

To be honest I think all CF boxes that don't take any notes that much from CFHQ should sever ties with said HQ. It makes them look bad.

That wouldn't make sense either, considering each Box needs to program for their athletes for their area for their needs. It wouldn't make sense for every box to follow the same programming and just scale it. I think that would be boring and would breed complacency.

So everyone who does any barbell training should follow the exact same programming?

Barbell training isn't crossfit though. Kettle bells, neon colors, knee high socks, Olympic lifts, bumpers, and even circuit training isn't crossfit.

I think the only think crossfit can call their own is the lack of specialization, just kind of being good at everything, great at nothing.

Warrior LVL 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Barbell training isn't crossfit though. Kettle bells, neon colors, knee high socks, Olympic lifts, bumpers, and even circuit training isn't crossfit.

I think the only think crossfit can call their own is the lack of specialization, just kind of being good at everything, great at nothing.

That is the point of Crossfit. Well rounded overall fitness. Not everyone wants to be able to run marathons or lift 500lbs. CF provides a nice middle ground. I don't see a problem with it.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

missed my point :) Very well aware that barbell training isn't CrossFit.

I was just using barbell training as an example. I could have said "everyone who does soccer should train the exact same way".

And yeah, the point is no specialization. Which is what a lot of people want.

This argument will persist specifically because of the hypocrisy inherent in CrossFit. This is why Rob Wolff and others left. Now don't get me wrong CF has a lot to offer but as they grew priorities changed and now that Reebok has taken over things have changed yet again. CF can be like anything a good box run by competent people who have not immersed themselves in the Koolade can be a very good thing BUT a bad box run by knuckle heads can be a very dangerous thing.

I worked with a CF trainer at a PT studio he was the most dangerous trainer I had ever seen. Not only was he a dot com trainer (such as WOD) but he made his own equipment. It was down right scarey what he tried to have his clients do. Turned me off CF but I studied up on it and I took the course felt a bit better but honestly 75% at the course should NEVER train anyone on their own with out supervision.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

Disclaimer: No CF bashing here, just Outlaw and Rudy Nielsen.

It maybe just me but I wouldn't promote it, especially when his whole method is just a rip-off of Gant Grimes Hybrid Programming.

IMO CF will have the issues with bad trainers as long as they continue with the current business model. Currently CFHQ deploy zero controls on the boxes that use their name. The Level 1 course (which I am attending next month) does not appear to be a gruelling session and I would guess everyone leaves with a cert. Beyond the L1 cert CFHQ offers no specialized tools/training to box owners to make their businesses more successful that I am aware of.

What makes the typical franchised business successful? They have a recipe for success no matter who the owner is. If they do not follow the recipe then they're out. I don't blame CFHQ for their model as it has been tremendously successful thus far. The caveat is that some boxes will have weak trainers that run the risk of making the product (CF) look shitty.

Myself I love CF. It works for me and I want to work my ass off every single day I am there. It isn't for everybody but what program is? My biggest beef is that they kicked out Robb Wolf - dude is wicked smart.

^ This exactly. Crossfit theology isn't the problem, and I'm willing to bet it isn't the reason its hated so much. It's its management and upkeep.

You walk into any McDonald's across the world and you have the same standard of quality (if you can call fast food quality), but the standard IS there. With crossfit, the box goes where ever the coach goes, and as long as the coach keeps up on his dues CFHQ won't do anything. I think if CFHQ wants to build a better name for its self and potentially make more money they should have reps that actually make visits, participate in WOD's, and are able to confirm that the Standard (what ever CFHQ wants that to be) is being upheld. If not then there can be a fine, or an affiliation revoke, a stern warning, a tall sock ban, anything.

Warrior LVL 3

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Disclaimer: No CF bashing here, just Outlaw and Rudy Nielsen.

It maybe just me but I wouldn't promote it, especially when his whole method is just a rip-off of Gant Grimes Hybrid Programming.

Meh, I dig the perspective this comes from as much as anyone but a lot of their random potshots probably aren't worth parroting. Damn near everything is a ripoff of a ripoff - show me an original approach to any sort of training and someone will provide a history lesson. Hell we could say the same thing about Westside itself. Don't listen to Louie he's just ripping off the Russians! He didn't even name the conjugate system correctly! Not to mention most logical approaches to CF look a lot like Grimes' Hybrid regardless. Funny how that works.

What you have to look at is the purpose and implementation of a program. When we look at it from a perspective that isn't just trying to be snarky I think a competitive minded CF'er could do worse. I don't agree with everything I see coming out of Outlaw but on the whole it isn't bad. Show me where Rudy ripped off entire Hybrid cycles workout for workout and passed it off as his own and then we've got problems.

Bottom line is we're all standing on the shoulders of those who came before. Any honest trainer/coach who's worth anything will tell you one of the keys to being successful is stealing everything useful you come across - aka never stop learning. All we can do is stay humble, carry an open cup and give credit where it's due.

That said, yeah Rudy is a whole lot of a-hole.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

J my original post was edited by Mods because it was deemed too inflammatory. My position had more to do with the "whole lot of a-hole" you mentioned. I just added the rip off of Grimes Hybrid as an after thought.

Gotcha. But yeah, if we only took ideas from people who aren't a-holes we wouldn't get very far, in training or anywhere else. Hell, Henry Ford was pretty much a Nazi but I'm not gonna say the assembly line was a bad idea (environmental/industrial complex/plutocratic/labor issues aside, haha).

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs