Jeff's Battle Log

So far this week of the challenge has gone fairly well. A cold sidelined me for a couple of days and I just wanted to sleep until my cough was gone. The good news there is it was really easy not to eat crappy stuff. It also only lasted a couple of days allowing me to fit in my workouts thus far. The highlights:

The Good

• Yesterday I ran through a bodyweight circuit someone shared with me of incline pushups, prisoner squats, spiderman pushups, lunges, planks and Romanian dead lifts with a kettlebell. Start with 10 reps of each (50 sec plank), go through the circuit, rest 30 seconds, repeat the circuit with 9 reps (45 sec plank) and continue the cycle down to 0 reps. At the time only the spiderman pushups seemed like a challenge, but the lunges must've done something because walking up steps was not easy, and the glutes were sore this morning. Also, after that workout I tried to add some burpees for the mini-challenge and could only get 10 out before gasping for air. So, the circuit definitely did some work.

• This morning I got up and went for a run. In trying to make sure my average pace stayed under 8:30 min/mile, I ran out fast in the beginning. I was beginning to falter a little at the end but finished 3.35 miles in 27:50 for an average pace of 8:18. I need to work on pacing myself a little better I think. I'm gonna try to fit in more burpees later today.

• Nary an M&M all week or any other chocolate/candy/etc. thus far. As I said, being sick helped out in that category but I'll still take it. Additionally, for the last 2 days, I've avoided any processed foods whatsoever. It's amazing that after just 2 days of clean eating, I feel more alert and have more energy. Definitely need to do more of this.

The Bad

• The cold is still slowly going away. It's sapped my energy a bit, but I believe eating well has counteracted this a bit. I don't feel as crappy as I usually do while cold effects wear off.

• My brother-in-law is in town this weekend. That isn't a bad thing. But, it usually leads to large family gatherings, accompanied by lots of gluttany. So, this weekend will take some will power.

So, we're off to a good start. I just need to maintain it and make each day better than the last one.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

This morning was a negative dumbbell circuit (used 20# dumbbells for all exercises) of:

Squats

Incline press

Bent over rows

Lunges

Upright rows

Do 10 of each exercise rest 60 seconds, repeat 3x. When it's all done, burpees 4x10.

Before the burpees I thought the weight was too light on the rows and the squats, too heavy on the upright rows and just about right on the incline presses and lunges. Need to tweak that next time.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Yesterday was a late night 3.05 mile run which I finished in 25:37 for an average pace of 8:24. Still under my 8:30 goal. I rolled my foot in the dark towards the end though which was disheartening. Feeling better this morning. Whew!

Managed to fit in some weights last night despite everyone and everything derailing my plans to do it earlier in the day.

Bench Press 4x10 135#

Dumbbell Flyes 4x10 20#

Bent Over Rows 4x10 70#

Reverse Flyes 4x10 10#

Lateral Raises 4x10 10#

Upright Rows 4x10 30#

Pushups 4x15 (15 second rest between sets)

Pullups 4,3,2,2 ( the goal was 4 sets of 4, but that didn't happen)

Can you tell my back is lagging a bit?

==================

This morning I was determined to not get derailed by work or family responsibilities like yesterday and be running in daze like Sunday night. So, I got up at 5 and ran 3.05 miles with a 8:12/mile average pace. I just missed 25 minutes and under by 1 second. So, it was an awesome run!

Unfortunately, I wished I'd have checked the forums before I went on my run because I easily could've changed this to an interval workout and satisfied the mini-challenge as well. Rats!

Intervals - just didn't have enough juice tonight, but I'll still take it.

10 intervals of 100m sprint, 50m jog.

Legs, back (cuz my back needs work) and sprints today:

Pullups - 3 sets 6 (yay!), 2(boo!) and then 2(boo!)

Squats - 4x10 200#

1 legged RDL - 4x10 each leg w/ 30# dumbbell

KB Swings - 4x10 50# KB <-- These were a lot easier with the 30# KB

Lunges - 4x10 just bodyweight <-- Cuz the KB swings kicked my ass

Sprints - 1.2 miles, sprint .1 miles, jog .05 miles, repeat 7 more times

3.15 mile run, Tabata style: 1 minute sprint, 45 second jog. I think my sprints at the end were closer tot jogs and my jogs were closer to a brisk walk. That is one tough way to run.

Replaced my jump jack warm ups with jumping rope and then did a BW circuit.

Jump rope 100x

Push-up 10x

Squats 10x

Planks 20 sec

Side Plank 10 sec each side

Lunge 10x each side

KB rows 10x each side (15#)

KB Swing 10x (15#)

Repeat 3 more times

No rest between exercises, 1 minute rest between circuits

Jump rope 100x

Total workout time 26:27

Whoa, I've done a bad job of keeping this up to date. Too busy wallowing in self-pity about the foot injury I guess. But no more!

This morning very similar to last weeks BW circuit, but I replaced the side planks with 1 legged RDL's.

Jumping Jacks 100x

Push-up 10x

Goblet Squats 10x 15# KB

KB rows 10x each side (15#)

Lunge 10x each side

1 legged RDL 10x each side (15# KB)

KB Swing 10x (15#)

Plank 30 seconds

Repeat 3 more times

No rest between exercises, 1 minute rest between circuits

Jumping Jacks 100x

Total workout time 28:42

So, no running yesterday. My foot is feeling better everyday by giving it a rest. Which is good and it sucks. I really like running. It's my alone time, but it's not so pleasant when you feel a stabbing pain every other step. Got a massage yesterday instead. Felt so good this moring I got up and went through this circuit:

Warm-up

Burpees 15x (probably not the best warm-up exercise, I was tired before I started the circuit)

Circuit (3x with 1 minute rest between each)

Incline push-ups with negatives (10x, 1 second up, 4 seconds down)

Reverse flyes with negatives (10x, 1 second up, 4 seconds down, 10# DB)

Goblet squats with negatives (10x, 1 second up, 4 seconds down, 25# DB)

KB Presses (10x each side, 15# KB)

Lunges (10x each side, 10# DBs)

X-Body Mountain Climbers (10x each side)

Planks (30 seconds)

Cool down

Burpees 15x (probably an even worse cool down exercise as I didn't really cool down)

What was awesome was the number of burpees was 60% of the total I had for the first mini-challenge. If we could only do that one again! Plus, I think I can actually see some shoulder definition. Giddyup!

On Saturday, I decided to give the Insanity workouts a try that I co-worker had given me. I figured if my foot could handle running in place and jumping and other things, maybe it would be ready for a run this week. So, I started with the first disk - the plyometircs one. Holy crap! I'm proud to say I lasted longer than the people in the background of the video. You gotta admire a workout video where the people behind the instructor aren't models, but people who are actually working out.

But, I did have to stop and catch my breath during their "Level 1 Exercises". They make burpees look like child's play. I had never heard of these before, but let me describe them to you - instead of a traditional burpee, do 4 pushups while you're down there and before you jump back up, sprint 8 steps from the push up position, then pop-back up with a jump, repeat. Doing those as fast as you can after you've done everything else was enough to leave me gasping for air. But, I made it 32 minutes before I had to tap out. It was a lot of fun actually. Instead of running on a treadmill this winter or taking on the cold and ice, I may give those a try instead.

Yesterday was an off day as I wanted to judge how my foot was doing, before figuring out what my week's workout schedule was going to look like. The good news, my foot felt fine. The bad news, my Packers game was pre-empted by some crazy jackass shooting up my town. Not wanting to explain any of that to the kids, we put in the Insanity Power workout and my kids pushed me to finish another one, mostly 'cuz I refused to give up in front of my kids. I think I would have turned it off and put in Star Wars after 20 minutes if they weren't there. With the amount of squats and jumps I did this weekend, my ass and thighs were sore when I got up this morining.

But, my foot was fine. So, I put on my old Vibram's (instead of the newer Minimus) and went for a 2 mile run. I didn't want to over do it. But, I finished the 2 miles in 16:40 for an 8:20 average pace. My foot still feels fine. Yay! :triumphant:

Unfortunately, the rest of me is still sore.

Today started with a 2 mile run in 15:46 for a 7:53 avg pace. :onthego: Yes!

And the foot still fine, except a blister from the old VFF's. I knew there was a reason I bought new shoes. Time for new VFF's.

Then, as long as was in the company gym I decided to lift a little. I don't usually do it at work because we only have a universal station and it's really hard to do useful leg and back exercises on that thing. But when in Rome...

Since I don't use the machine often, I decided to pick a weight, do ten reps, increase the stack one plate and do 10 more reps until I couldn't finish 10 reps without stopping. The only rest between the sets was the amount of time it took to get up, move the pin and sit back down.

Warm up - Stability Ball Pushups (hands on the ball) 3x10

Chest press - 132#x10, 144#x10, 156#x10, 164#x6

Flyes - 48#x10, 60#x10, 72#x10, 84#x4

Overhead Press - 60#x10, 72#x10, 84#x10, 96#x8

Lateral Cable Raises - 12#x10, 24#x10, 36#x2

Front Cable Raises - 12#x10, 24#x5

Pullups - 5, 3, 2 (man, I still suck at these)

Stability Ball plank (hands on the ball) 20 sec x 3 - These were a lot harder than I thought they'd be!

Two more miles on Friday and another 2 miles yesterday. Got my total to 8 miles for the week as I attempt to make up for the foot injury. Still no pain. Not sure if it's the 2 miles instead of 3 or resting it or both. But, I'll take it.

Sandwichedd in between there was an Insanity Power workout. My wife wanted to know what it was like to do one, so I did it with her. I'm still not sold on those. They're tough workouts to make it through, but I feel like I get more resistance training doing bodyweight circuits and I'm not sure how to fit both into a program. Speaking of which

Today's workout:

Warm-up: jump rope for 5 minutes

Following circuit 3 times with 1 minute break between sets:

Decline pushups 15x

KB Snatch 10x15lbs (each side)

KB Row 15x15lbs (each side)

Goblet squats 15x25lbs

Lunges 10x (each side)

KB Swings 10x15lbs

Plank 30 seconds

X-Body Mountain Climbers 15x (each side)

Cool down: 100 jumping jacks

Pretty good workout, but I need to get some heavier KB's at home. The 15# bell is too light for a lot of stuff and trying to hold a KB and some light DB's to increase weight requires hands that are bigger than mine.

Ran 3.5 miles today in 29 minutes for an average of 8:17/mile. Foot felt fine and continues to. But, man, I really prefer to run outside. The treadmill is soooooo boring.

I guess its not much of a "Daily" Battle Log if I update it every 4-5 days. But, here we go:

Oct. 31st

Bodyweight & KB circuit, then walked 3 miles with kids while Trick-or-Treating. Well, the older 2 walked, the two year old lasted 1 mile and then I pushed him in the stroller.

Nov 1st

Another 3.5 miles on the treadmill. Plus, some weights on the machines. New 10 rep max on bench and shoulder press. Way cool. I wish that stupid machine could hold more weight and I could try a 1 rep max. I'm afraid to try it at home w/o a spotter.

Nov 2nd

2.5 mile walk with the dog.

Nov 3rd

Ran 4 miles outside. Oh yeah! That's much better.

Nov 4th

Walked 2 miles with the family.

Nov 5th (today)

Bodyweight & KB circuit. Not a lot of weight, but it's a great way to start the day.

Nov 6th

Took the dog for a 2.5 mile walk before heading to the polls to vote.

Nov 7th

Took the dog for another walk. It started raining so we cut it short and only covered 1.1 miles. Gonna try to get in some weights later tonight.

Since we're in between challenges, I've been slacking a bit in the exercise department. I have however, been playing around with differernt styles of eating to see which is more satisfying and what seems possible to do. This whole Paleo thing seems to make a lot of sense and I think my body could adjust to it well.

Nov 8th

Took the dog for a 2 mile walk.

Nov 9th

Took the dog for a 2 mile walk.

Nov 10th

Took the dog for a 2.5 mile walk and then ran 4.26 miles. (Longest distance of 2012 for me. I got some bad news in the mail on Friday and took my anger and frustration out on my feet and legs.)

Nov 11th

Wasted Day. Wife was sick and the two year old was sick, so I kept the other kids busy and checked in on my sleeping patients occassionally.

Nov 12th

My wife was feeling a little better but still dizzy. I took the day off work to take care of our little guy. He was a little better, but still battling a fever. Eating sucked as I wimped out and went to Subway for everyone. :(

But, I did manage to fit in a bodyweight circuit in the morning before everyone else woke up.

Nov 13th

Shit! During my first interval run of the new challenge I think I messed up my ankle. Felt fine while I was running sprints on the soccer field, but I noticed walking home afterwards that it feels like I sprained it. Another joint to tape I guess. I either need to stop pushing so hard, just realize that things hurt more the older I get, or buy more ice. I'm going with the last option for now.

Nov 14th

Lifting the iron! Yeah! I love this part.

Chest & Shoulders (all weights are in lbs)

Bench Press: 115x15, 145x10, 165x10, 175x3

DB Flyes: 20x3x10

Incline DB Press: 30x3x10

Overhead Press: 65x10, 75x10, 85x7, 75x8

Lateral Raises: 10x3x10 (each side)

And then I ran out of time. Which is probably a good thing, 'cuz my tri's are kinda sore.

Nov 15th

No workouts. BOOOO!!!! I had to go to work early and it was my wife's birthday so there was no way to make up for the missed workout in the morning.

Nov 16th.

I had to be to work early again, but I wasn't going to let that derail me again like yesterday. I got up even earlier to make sure I got my back workout in. And, I'm in a much better mood because of it. Yeah me!

Jump rope warm up - 250 jumps

Deadlifts 300x3x10

KB Swings 50x3x10

Lat pull downs 150x3x10

Reverse DB flyes 30x3x8

Pull-ups 6,3,2

Chin-ups 5,4,1

Jump rope some more - 300 jumps

Nov 17th

Walked the dog before some friends stopped byto wish my wife a happy birthday. Other than that, no work outs. :blue:

Nov 18th

3 miles of Tabata style running. My legs were Jell-O, but my heart and lungs recovered just fine from the abuse. Pretty pleased with my stamina. Plus, my ankle felt much better. It's still a little tender, but if it can tolerate that workout, then it's okay (I love ice :joyous:) I then took the dog for another walk in hopes to shake out my legs. Seems to have helped. Spent most of the afternoon digging a trench and got an incredible back/glutes workout. Still a little sore a day after, but in a good way.

I knew I had one of these out there somewhere. Kind of ironic it's been almost 2 years since I've updated it. But, since the last challenge ended 3 weeks ago, and I couldn't do anything last week by Dr's orders, I'm sitting out my first challenge since, well in 2 years. So, I decided to update ye olde battle logge. 

So, last weekend was the first time I was allowed to lift more than 15 pounds. So, I ripped up the tile in the shower and the bathroom floor in the kid's bathroom. They really knew how to install that stuff to last back in the 70's. Who sets tile in 1 1/2 inches of mortar with a wire mesh running through it anymore? Man that was heavy to rip up and haul downstairs. The shower was Saturday and the floor was Sunday. Now I get to haul the new tile and vanity upstairs to install them once the plumber and electrician are done. Yeah, I'm cheating this time and hiring some people to help me out instead of doing it all myself. It will only take the pros a couple of days to get their stuff done. The kids need their bathroom put back together as soon as possible. Otherwise, they'll be using the master bathroom and I can't have that.

Food is actually alright. I've been able to maintain my weight despite the forced inactivity. Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to resume my SL 5x5 program. Right now I don't see why not, but the final decision will come when I grab that bar for the first time in 11 days. I can't believe how much I've grown to like lifting in such a short amount of time. I think I might actually by Jonesing to lift stuff. Using sledge hammers and pry bars over the weekend was a little taste of it, but not the same.

Battle logge! At least you're doing something active with your forced inactivity. I admire your DIY derring-do. GF and I have a bazillion projects we want to do, but we're a little timid about just ripping stuff apart.

Also, lifting is the bomb. It's so satisfying to look at a loaded bar and be all "I picked that up and put it down!"

And then there's this. So you can be all "I picked up a baby giraffe and put it down!" Frinstance.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Do baby giraffes come with handles to make them easier to pick up? Cuz, I'm not gonna lie, that'd be pretty cool!

My wife and I are DIY junkies. Our DVR is set to record shows like Rehab Addict, Holmes Makes it Right and Property Brothers*. Well, and the Shatner Project because even at 83, Captain Kirk is awesome. Its what happens when you keep buying 40 year old one owner homes where that owner is moving into assisted living. Just about everything needs updating. The house cost less, but it'll cost you in sweat equity.

Since the pros usually cost too much for me to hire, we've learned how to do it on our own. We made a few mistakes along the way, but by and large, its gone well for us.

Unfortunately, lifting didn't happen this morning. Between my wife getting sick and work came a callin', lifting will have to wait. BOOOOO!!!

* For the record, the DVR is also set to record kids shows for my boys, women's college volleyball for my daughter, Spartan races for me (haven't watched the Beast yet) and tons of stuff on the History channel and AHC.