• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Valiance

Valiance's Journey Begins!

Hi all!

I realize I'm starting about 9ish days late, but I want to give this a shot! I had briefly considered doing the challenge before it started, then thought "who am I kidding? I've never managed to work out for more than three weeks in a row before and I'm so busy with school and work that it'll never happen." But I bought the Rebel Strength Guide a few days ago on a whim... and realized that one thing I could definitely cut from my life, to make time for working out, is all of the time I waste MAKING EXCUSES!!!

I am 6'1", and I've been lanky my whole life. But I'm actually developing a bit of a belly, despite looking like a rail. I've always wanted to be stocky and strong, but I've come to realize I'm not that motivated by looks right now; I just wanna be healthy and exercise to be strong. If that gets me to looking muscly, great but appearance isn't my main goal any more. Even if I don't look strong, I want to BE strong. I don't care how my friends look, so I'm not going to put that kind of pressure on myself or try to use it as my sole motivation.

SO!! The time left in this challenge still leaves me enough time to get through basic training and then start another training program for a week.

PHYSICAL:

Goal 1: (+2 STA)

I will complete the Basic Training and not skip any workouts.

Goal 2: (+2 CON)

I will buy a lunch bag and start packing lunches.

Goal 3: (+1 STR)

Once I finish Basic Training, I will start the Body Weight Brigade and do that for the final week, then decide from there whether I want to continue with Body Weight or move into *gulp!* the Barbell Battalion.

MENTAL:

Goal 1: (+2 WIS)

I am going to start studying at least 30 minutes per subject, per day, every day except Sunday. I'm in my final year at university and need to seriously buckle down! I will not miss a single day of studying (minimum of 2.5 hours study per day). I have three massive projects I'm having to work on for three different classes, so I work at least that much on those projects, but I won't count that time as part of the studying.

Goal 2: (+1 WIS)

Facebook eats my time and stresses me out (helloooooo political season!). From now till the end of the challenge I will not spend more than 20 minutes a day on Facebook total, no more than 10 minutes at a time, and I will only check it first thing in the morning and at the end of the day. I do have to use facebook for work sometimes, so I won't count that, but I also will only get on to do strictly work-related things. No scrolling down to see what everyone else is up to!

Goal 3: (+1 WIS)

I check my phone when I'm bored instead of using my brain for useful things. From now till the end of the challenge I will only check my phone and reply to texts once an hour, at the top of the hour, unless it is for something work related or an emergency.

LIFE GOALS (i.e. "I always meant to ____...."):

Goal 1: (+2 WIS)

I did some meditation at one point, and it was so fantastic for me. It made me much calmer and I think it made me smarter because my thoughts were so focused for the entire day. So I'm going to do at least 10 minutes of meditation a day every day, first thing in the morning.

Goal 2: (+2 CHA)

I have a friend and we've always talked about doing some performing together but it never happens. I will arrange one piece of music and we'll rehearse it at least once. I know it's not much of a goal, but I've been meaning to do at least that for so long that it would actually be quite an accomplishment to get at least that much done. ;)

Goal 3: (+2 CON)

I have ALWAYS meant to stop drinking soda. I've been pretty good about it, drinking less, but I need to just stop! Sweet tea is still okay, coffee is okay, hot tea is okay, and alcohol is still okay (I don't drink much anyways... <1 per week), but NO MORE SODAS!!! I will not drink ANY soda at all for this challenge.

It's not really a goal, but I actually have these two pairs of pants that are really awesome and I haven't been able to wear them in a while because they're just not comfortable any more (too tight because of mah belleh!). They're really nice slacks. So if I can fit into them at the end of this challenge, I'd be SUPER excited. Like I said, appearance isn't my motivator any more, but I do hate shopping for pants, and they're really nice (expensive!!!) slacks. So at the end of the challenge I'll try them on and if they fit, I'll freakin' die of joy.

Edited by Valiance
Updated with stat points

wow! that's a lot of goals! good luck with them! :)

i used to have a facebook problem, but i used stayfocusd to limit my facebooking time to 20 minutes a day. (it's a chrome app; i don't know what browser you use or if they make it for other browsers, but i'm sure there's an equivalent thing for whatever browser you use!) like you, i sometimes have to use facebook for workthingsâ„¢ -- so then i open facebook in an incognito window & it doesn't count against my time. it has really helped! maybe you could try something like that?

Okay, so I did have to buy lunch today because I made my goals after leaving the house for the day, BUT I had a salad so it WAS still healthy and so I'm not gonna count it against myself since I accidentally set an impossible goal for the first day. :P

If you have a Jimmy John's close to where you are, a slim unwich for $4 is the cheapest, healthiest lunch that one can ever, ever eat. You might want to consider that as a reasonable alternative if don't manage to pack your lunch anyday.

Do you have golden or silver hair?

That depends entirely on how long it's been since I saw a hairdresser.... Lets be honest: if the hair looks golden but the roots are silver, you know the carpet doesn't match the drapes. ;)

Well, I was hoping to annihilate my first workout, but it pretty much annihilated me. That freakin' took the piss outta me!!!

Pushups: 15/14/6

Squats: 25/19/12

Plank: 30 seconds/20 seconds

I kinda thought I was gonna puke by the end of the last plank. The first one made me feel super queasy and the second one was like, "Aww crap, here it comes..." but I didn't.

I'm proud of myself! After the first two sets of pushups, I was like, "Maybe I wont do the squats or planks tonight." But then I thought about having to grade myself, so I did one set of squats... then another... then another.... and I thought, "That's it, no planks for tonight." But then I remembered how many times I've done this exact sort of thing before, and given up part way through, so I powered on and did the planks.

If you'll excuse me, I'mma go pass the hell out.

I like that you've realized that looking strong doesn't necessarily equal being strong. Lots of goals, but you didn't assign any stat points to any of them.

Also, you may want to consolidate them into 4 goals (per Challenge guidelines) and assign points that way.

I also started out doing bodyweight exercises, a great incentive for not eating garbage, because you know you'll have to lift it again when you workout again!

Good luck.

I'm a bit late to actually really be "in" this challenge, and I'd feel like a cheater to assign stat points for not doing the full challenge. I think I'm going to hold off till my second challenge to actually assign any stat points.

Also, you may want to consolidate them into 4 goals (per Challenge guidelines) and assign points that way.

I checked the rules and I actually don't see anything about having to have four goals. I think Spezzy said something like, "the fewer goals the easier it will be to attain your stat points," and actually in one example she had five different goals, but maybe that's just because she was trying to demonstrate "SMART" which has five letters. :P

But you know what? After thinking about it, I AM gonna assign stat points. I mean... why not? I'll just have to work a little extra harder to make sure I'm deserving of them, despite starting late. :)

Nice ! Keep up the workouts !

Thanks! :D

Woohoo! I made an awesome grade on a test I took, and I noticed this morning when I started to meditate that I hadn't woken up with a tight jaw. I don't have TMJ but I do have a bad habit of tightening my jaw up during the day and while I sleep. I went to relax my jaw and realized it already was! :)

Well, my birthday weekend started great and ended horribly, and that took the wind right out of my sails. Having some relationship trouble and this might be the end of a two year relationship that I thought was headed towards being forever. We'll see what happens, I guess. At the very least I can say no part of it is my fault.

So anyways.... Goals have gone out the window the last four days or so, and today I'm hoping to get in some exercise but don't hold your breath. :P

I got over my damn self and managed to go jogging this morning. :)

5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, 5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, 5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, then walked home. It felt good to do something! I also had a good, healthy breakfast and I'm about to enjoy a good, healthy lunch. :)

I got over my damn self and managed to go jogging this morning. :)

5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, 5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, 5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, then walked home. It felt good to do something! I also had a good, healthy breakfast and I'm about to enjoy a good, healthy lunch. :)

awesome! there are definitely days when i need to get over my damn self & do some exercise. it does always make me feel better after, but it's sooooo hard to convince yourself that ahead of time -- good for you for doing it! :)

what's the status of the relationship trouble currently?

Thanks, Sunshower. :)

Everything is sort of on hold because he's out of town at the moment for work, but I think he'll be back on Sunday (I forgot to ask him when he gets home from work) so it's probably all going to go down then. Thank you for asking... my hope is that this Sunday things will either be worked out, or that I'll be crying into a tub of ice cream :P. At this point, either option is acceptable... I'd just like to get it over.

I'm definitely going to work out tonight though. Body weight stuff, and then I'll run again tomorrow morning. Gotta get into fighting shape, especially if I wind up being single :P

Thanks, Sunshower. :)

Everything is sort of on hold because he's out of town at the moment for work, but I think he'll be back on Sunday (I forgot to ask him when he gets home from work) so it's probably all going to go down then. Thank you for asking... my hope is that this Sunday things will either be worked out, or that I'll be crying into a tub of ice cream :P. At this point, either option is acceptable... I'd just like to get it over.

I'm definitely going to work out tonight though. Body weight stuff, and then I'll run again tomorrow morning. Gotta get into fighting shape, especially if I wind up being single :P

i hear you. i always feel like the not knowing is far worse than whatever the outcome can be -- even the worst possible outcome. because then you can deal with reality instead of wondering. good luck with your talk on sunday (or whenever) & keep us posted <3

Thanks. :) It went.... Okay. He basically agreed to work towards starting to meet my friends.

And then the next day pissed me off entirely by calling me for "advice" about his job situation and then shooting down every idea I had or point I made and in the end talking about how I don't understand and I've never been in a bad situation so how could I, blah, blah, etc. I didn't let on how angry I was, but he got quite angry with me because I tried to offer the advice he asked for rather than just let him whine.

So I'm still weighing my options but I'm leaning towards a breakup. I do think he's a wonderful guy, but he needs someone who will give him the kind of clingy support he needs and that's just not me. If I text him and he doesn't text me back all day I assume he's busy so I don't bother him. If he texts me and doesn't hear from me within an hour he starts texting me "helllooooooooo?!?" till I respond, or acts passive aggressive when I am able to text him later. So I think he needs someone who's more willing to be a bit more "needy" of him and less independent than I am... Nothing wrong with that, but especially now I'm starting to feel more and more like he needs someone different from me and he just doesn't realize it because he's never dated before.

Sooooo between that and some other things (a friend wound up in the hospital and another friend just lost her grandfather) and some work related things, my exercising has not been happening BUT I have been super, super extra good about my diet. I stayed up late tonight after studying to make egg and ground beef "muffins" to eat for breakfast, and I also made a huge veggie-chicken stir fry to eat for lunch/dinner the next day or two. So I've been good the last few days, and this will enable me to keep on that roll for the next few days! Very excited about that.

I'm just sort of in a daze over everything that's been happening lately. Despite what these last few weeks might make my life appear to be, I genuinely lead a pretty drama free life and most things don't get to me. So this recent time has been weird, and difficult. But I'm very optimistic things will be back to normal soon. :)

Edited by Valiance

I am totally on a roll with the diet, although the exercising is still a bust for the moment.

Finished off my egg muffins this morning (delish!) and just polished off a salad for lunch. Dinner will probably be either some sushi, or if I'm able to go home between classes I'll kill the stir fry (also delish!).

But this means I gotta make more food tonight or tomorrow. Uh-oh. :)

Okay, I did have a McDonald's burger last night because it was 10pm, I was starving and exhausted, and I still had a lot of studying to do. But I didn't have fries or a soda, so I'm proud of that.

Made more egg-and-veggie muffins and had two this morning (yum!) along with some chicken breasts that I pan fried last night. I think that's a good strategy. I took some thin breasts and tore them up into little pieces and cooked that... so I can very easily control exactly how much meat I'm eating.

So all in all I think the diet's coming along!

I'm also using a new study strategy that is rockin' my socks! It's the pomodoro technique, basically... I'm just making music playlists that are 25 minutes long and I study till the music stops, goof off for five minutes, then study another 25. Do that four times in a row, and then take a 30 minute break. For instance, this morning I did my four sessions, and my 30 minute break was lunch. Seems to be working really well, and it keeps me focused without feeling overwhelmed.

Sign in to follow this