Greetings and a question ...

Howdy!

I introduced myself in the general "Rebel Introductions" section, but I thought I'd poke my head in here and see how everyone's doing! I have trained in "American Freestyle Karate" for 11 years now, though the four or five have been hit-and-miss due to me allowing life to "get in the way."

In case you're wondering: American Freestyle Karate (AFK) is a combination of Shotokan karate, Tae-kwon-do, Aikido, Judo, and kickboxing.

So I'm looking to get back into shape Rebel-style. I prefer body-weight exercises and circuit training. Anyone else combing this with martial arts have any routine suggestions?

ANYway ... although I'm really lacking anything else to say, just thought I'd say hi!

May the force be with you,

-undeadmonk3y

Level 1 Monk

| Str 3 Dex 2 Sta 2 | Con 2 | Wis 4 Cha 2 |

the blog pages has a "free workouts" section, some good bodyweight exercises in that. You could also post in the "Programming" forum if you want help coming up with a specific routine. Not to sound sarcastic but, have you tried just googling "bodyweight workout routine?" there are a lot of good ones out there. although, I'm willing to bet most will line up with each other pretty closely.

Welcome aboard!

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

No, you didn't sound sarcastic! Yes there are TONS of bodyweight programs and most are similar. I was just curious if any other martial artists had any particular insights about body-weight training in relation to martial arts. I realize that question could cover a broad spectrum of answers though.

Level 1 Monk

| Str 3 Dex 2 Sta 2 | Con 2 | Wis 4 Cha 2 |

Plyo* push-ups are good, and, if you work for it, plyo one-arm push-ups will make your punches break gods. Box jumps (and, to an extent, plyo squats and plyo one-leg squats) get your explosive leg work, which is great for jumps and kicks. But that's strength training, which you might not be as interested in.

From what I've seen, something great to do for practice is to spar, mock-spar, or just go at a punching bag like a starved dog for long periods of time. Even when I was testing for my black belt, as little as a couple minutes of sparring was heavy work. So, basically, try to do sparring/practice HIIT** style. It's a lot easier to fight when you're not tired.

*Plyometric, or explosive. Basically, think jumping and punching. Super-fast, rather than just moving a lot of weight.

**High-intensity interval training. I can't explain it correctly, but it's in multiple places around this site.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Plyo* push-ups are good, and, if you work for it, plyo one-arm push-ups will make your punches break gods. Box jumps (and, to an extent, plyo squats and plyo one-leg squats) get your explosive leg work, which is great for jumps and kicks. But that's strength training, which you might not be as interested in.

From what I've seen, something great to do for practice is to spar, mock-spar, or just go at a punching bag like a starved dog for long periods of time. Even when I was testing for my black belt, as little as a couple minutes of sparring was heavy work. So, basically, try to do sparring/practice HIIT** style. It's a lot easier to fight when you're not tired.

*Plyometric, or explosive. Basically, think jumping and punching. Super-fast, rather than just moving a lot of weight.

**High-intensity interval training. I can't explain it correctly, but it's in multiple places around this site.

That very first sentence made my day! if I can build up to the level of plyo one armed pushups, i will definitely make a video of me breaking Zeus with my fist! Good point about using Plyo though to build the explosive force required. it's definitely work incorporating into practice

As for HIIT, how would you specifically apply that to the martial arts? I like where your head is at on that one

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge