Winter gear

With winter right around the corner (at least here in Rochester), I dread the thought of being confined to treadmills, tracks, etc. I would like to train outside as much as possible, but what kind of gear/clothing would make that a realistic option? I know I'll need shoes, what are your recommendations for snow-safe footwear?

Level 3 Timelord Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 10 | DEX: 7 | STA: 11.5 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 5.75 | CHA: 2.25

Challenge

1 2 3

"The thing is, Adam, time travel is like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book. You've got to throw yourself in, eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers - or is that just me? Stop asking questions. Go and do it!"

"Don't ever judge me by your standards."

YakTrax (https://www.yaktrax.com/). Amazing, wonderful things. I trained for a 26-mile walk throughout one winter using these, and they were awesome. Strongly recommended.

Also, something like this (http://www.amazon.com/High-Top-Work-Rubber-Overshoe/dp/B002ONCQ1W) for rainy nasty days. If your feet get wet, there's more friction and you wind up with blisters. Just don't wear them when it's hot out because your feet will sweat and then they'll be wet.

If you can find a pair of double-layer socks, use those. Otherwise consider using two socks (they'll rub against each other rather than against you), and change them if they get damp/wet.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I hear good things about the Under ARmour Cold Gear shirts as a base layer. I have an outdoor event in Jan. so I've been doing some research.

I have head-to-toe Under Armour for rowing when it gets into mid-October (which equals 45-50º days around here). It's been rained on, splashed, and soaked completely through, and I stay nice and warm regardless. It's kinda touch to justify at $40/piece, but it's 100% worth it. Also, the new "Fitted" Cold Gear works a lot better than the old skin-tight stuff.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Oh, so happy to find this thread! I've been thinking the same thing, LordOfTime...it's already getting COLD up here in Maine at night, and some days too. It's only a matter of time before the cold really hits, and I am committed to carrying my workouts outside as much as possible this winter...had no idea where to start re: cold-weather gear. Those YakTrax are gonna be a must have for me, I think. Subscribing this to get all these good ideas. :)

YakTrax (https://www.yaktrax.com/). Amazing, wonderful things. I trained for a 26-mile walk throughout one winter using these, and they were awesome. Strongly recommended.

Also, something like this (http://www.amazon.com/High-Top-Work-Rubber-Overshoe/dp/B002ONCQ1W) for rainy nasty days. If your feet get wet, there's more friction and you wind up with blisters. Just don't wear them when it's hot out because your feet will sweat and then they'll be wet.

If you can find a pair of double-layer socks, use those. Otherwise consider using two socks (they'll rub against each other rather than against you), and change them if they get damp/wet.

Ooh, those look AWESOME! I'll definitely have to invest in a pair!

Level 3 Timelord Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Challenge

1 2 3

"The thing is, Adam, time travel is like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book. You've got to throw yourself in, eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers - or is that just me? Stop asking questions. Go and do it!"

I run outside regardless of season and I've got to say that one should never underestimate the merits of a high-visibility vest during the winter season. The sun goes down fast and even though most training gear these days have some reflective capabilities it is a really good idea to buy one (they are usually pretty cheap tbh). Then we have "the usual stuff", a good hat to keep your head warm, gloves, a base layer longsleeved shirt, windtight/water resistant pants and jacket, and some proper running socks (no seams, snug fit and channels the worst wetness away from you if you happen to step in water/slush/etc). That is what keeps me going fine until the temperatures drop to double-digits below freezing. After that I usually add another layer for my legs and maybe another shirt under the jacket.

I've never had reason to invest yaktrax so far since we don't get much ice where I live, but they look like a good thing to have for a slippery day. Or a pair of Icebugs if you got the money to spare. I just use my regular shoes and compensate by running a bit more slow and a bit farther during the worst months.

And finally, keep in mind that you can wear too much and get uncomfortably warm (or even overheated in some cases) if you're good at layering or bundling up. A good rule of thumb is that it should feel nippy the first mile or so before you're warmed up

-

Battle Log - Fitocracy - Twitter -

Anti-villain extraordinaire

I'll second (third?) the UA cold gear. Even if it is the compression stuff I've been able to stand being in 20 degree weather for a few hours... basically standing still. I tend to be pretty cold natured too.

That and smartwool. Also expensive, but wearing a sheep sure does keep you warm :)

Any thoughts on how to emulate barefoot running in the snow? Those yaktrax look awesome, but they don't seem to be built for barefoot.

^this

Level 3 Timelord Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Challenge

1 2 3

How about some Vibram Five Fingers? The "VFF Flow" is a bit thicker then the others and the neopren should keep the feet ok even in snow?

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.