Diets on your Journies

Tazo

Hey guys!

So, in a few weeks I'll be taking a big working vacation. Conference thing in Austin, actually. I'm trying to put on some muscle, and while I've got my workout planned for my time there, I'm trying to think ahead about what I'll be eating.

I'm thinking that making my own shakes will largely be out of the question, so my main thoughts are: what should I focus on in terms of eating, knowing that I'll have to eat out most of the time? I'm staying with family, so I will have some access for breakfasts, but a lot of my dinners will be working dinners, and those that aren't will be had with family who will most likely want to take me somewhere nice.

So far, I'm thinking almonds. Lots of almonds.

LEVEL 1 Half-Elf Adventurer"Play your part well, for there all honor lies".STG:2 DEX:2STA:3 CON:3WIS:1 CHA:4Fitocracy!

Austin bro has everything you need no real worries you can buy shakes there hit up Wholefoods and get good grub I don't see to many problems but maybe the airport it's self. That is always a pain especially with the new rules.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

When in doubt:

* Choose the healthiest item on the menu (e.g. steak or fish with steamed vegies, a salad, or a chicken & salad wrap)

* Remember that cafes and restaurants are usually happy to customise dishes (e.g. no sauce on the steak, side salad with no cheese)

* Try and avoid restaurant types that will challenge your dietary patterns to the maximum (e.g. carb avoiders are best off avoiding Italian restaurants, low fat eaters should avoid KFC).

* If you eat poorly for one meal, don't let that be an excuse to eat poorly for the rest of the day

* If you know temptation is ahead, try and eat something healthy (e.g. some fruit) and drink some water, before you go. Carry around a few healthy snacks with you (a couple of apples, some almonds, or other snacks suiting your diet) at all times.

* Stop eating when you are full. This one is tricky for me, as my mum used to talk about those starving children in Ethiopia who'd love to finish off the rest of the food on my plate. But really, there's no rule that says you have to eat everything. Eat around the unhealthy stuff, and/or practise portion control.

Generally good advice. One other thing I occasionally practice on the road is that if I expect that a nutritionally-sound lunch will not be available and I'm at a place that has good options for breakfast, I'll have a larger-than-usual breakfast and skip lunch. Or, if there aren't great breakfast options, I might just skip breakfast, fasting until lunch(I did this a few days during my vacation to Alaska).

When in doubt, I set the minimum bar at:

-No breaded+fried foods or greasy appetizers

-skip the complementary(low-nutrition, high-calorie) bread that many places offer

-Dressings on the side for any salads. ALWAYS on the side.

-Focus on meats(usually leaner cuts) and veggies

-if there's obvious signs that something will be doused in excess oil/grease, avoid it

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

When in doubt:

* Choose the healthiest item on the menu (e.g. steak or fish with steamed vegies, a salad, or a chicken & salad wrap)

* Remember that cafes and restaurants are usually happy to customise dishes (e.g. no sauce on the steak, side salad with no cheese)

* Try and avoid restaurant types that will challenge your dietary patterns to the maximum (e.g. carb avoiders are best off avoiding Italian restaurants, low fat eaters should avoid KFC).

* If you eat poorly for one meal, don't let that be an excuse to eat poorly for the rest of the day

* If you know temptation is ahead, try and eat something healthy (e.g. some fruit) and drink some water, before you go. Carry around a few healthy snacks with you (a couple of apples, some almonds, or other snacks suiting your diet) at all times.

* Stop eating when you are full. This one is tricky for me, as my mum used to talk about those starving children in Ethiopia who'd love to finish off the rest of the food on my plate. But really, there's no rule that says you have to eat everything. Eat around the unhealthy stuff, and/or practise portion control.

Excellent advice. Another thing to consider is that Austin is a generally healthy city and takes pride in their local restaurants, so when you do go out to eat I would definitely try some local restaurants.

Oh, I was definitely planning on eating out whilst in Austin. Especially some delicious smoked BBQ. I plan on eating more barbecue than should be theoretically possible.

Shakes won't work largely because I'm simply not going to have time to put together my own shakes (side note: no idea if my family has a blender). It's a working convention and during the days of the convention itself, I expect to be spending as much time as I can networking the convention.

That being said, this is some good advice. Thanks all!

LEVEL 1 Half-Elf Adventurer"Play your part well, for there all honor lies".STG:2 DEX:2STA:3 CON:3WIS:1 CHA:4Fitocracy!