What Goes Into Becoming a Jedi Master?

What do you think goes into becoming a Jedi Master?

I'm curious because I think it might be fun to develop a kind of club/group related to questing towards the status of being a Jedi Master. It could have certain challenges related to the skills a Jedi Master would have, and be related to the idea of leveling up your life on your epic quest.

I am thinking very specifically of the mental skills a Jedi Master requires. After all, flipping around with your light saber is great, but a Jedi Master that does not make. ;) So clearly things like doing stretching or yoga, maybe lifting weights, and naturally honing your abilities with the Force (also known as your Gameboy...) are important, but those are not the things that make a truly great Jedi Master.

Here are a couple of things I think go into becoming a Jedi Master:

• Meditation--A Jedi Master must be able to meditate to rejuvenate their strength and seek calmness of mind. I think the practice of meditation is probably essential to a Jedi Master.
  • Conflict management--A Jedi Master must be able to manage conflict in their own life, and mediate when requested by others. This is crucial for everything from handling a rude sale attendant to managing intergalactic trading issues.
  • Organizational skills--Jedi Masters live lives full of responsibilities, and must have strategies in place to handle tasks in the busiest of times. It's hard to save the galaxy when you're too busy trying to dig back through 1000 holo messages to find a receipt for returning a bad power-source in your light saber!
  • Public speaking skills--The Jedi Masters were diplomats and persons of great importance in meetings. Whether speaking with two or three very important diplomats, or making an announcement to millions of lifeforms, Jedi Masters must be able to properly comport themselves when speaking publicly.

I almost think it might be kind of fun to develop a sort of "course" for becoming a Jedi Master. It would involve needing to find some resources to help develop the important skills (conflict management, negotiation skills, etc.) and maybe some online quizzes or tests.

Any thoughts? Or maybe just good resources to develop all of those skills? :)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Valiance, Level 1 Aasimar Warrior

[table=width: 275, class: outer_border, align: center]

STR: 2

DEX: 3

STA: 2

[tr]

CON: 2

WIS: 3

CHA: 3

[/table]

Chapter One: Valiance's Journey Begins!

There is The Jedi Path available, as well as other books for reference. Would be a great set of instructions, and useful for any job setting.

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

There's a good pile of online resources re: being a "real life Jedi," in varying degrees of New Age, Star Wars geekitude, Eastern religions (primarily Buddhism and Taoism), Western religions (primarily Christianity), vaporware, and Internet drama. I once investigated and found a couple dozen sites with their versions of Jedi creeds, classes, promotion and ranking systems, you name it. All independent and unsanctioned by Lucas et al., of course. I'd post links but my computer is broken, and anyway those sites tend to have the life cycle of a dandelion. Go ye forth and google.

Just bear in mind it's all a game and no site or "master" is more official than any other (which is to say not at all), and you'll be fine I guess. Though if it's spiritual growth you seek, IMO there are plenty of older religions with a better support network and real time tested techniques... but what do I know. Nowadays people shop for their religion and pick what suits them.

Still, being a serene and respected diplomat who moonlights as a saber wielding sorceror would be pretty cool. :)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I wonder if there was a specific flavor of philosophy that Jedi was based on, or if there was an identifiable mix, or if the first Jedi order was some new-agey cult that he almost joined before getting distracted with scriptwriting.

BBL, gotta write something down.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I wonder if there was a specific flavor of philosophy that Jedi was based on, or if there was an identifiable mix, or if the first Jedi order was some new-agey cult that he almost joined before getting distracted with scriptwriting.

BBL, gotta write something down.

You mean George Lucas? That's no secret, it's pretty clear he drew inspiration from Japanese samurai for the Jedi. There's actually some genre of Japanese action film called "gedai" or something, of which Lucas was a fan. Obi-wan's costume is based upon a feudal Asian noble and Darth Vader is wearing something similar to samurai armor (note the helmet in particular). The resemblance is even more obvious in production sketches from the planning stages of the first "Star Wars" film. Furthermore there's the political role of the Jedi: basically they are a professional class of warriors with a dedicated lifestyle and a code of honor. They enforce the decrees of the government but they are a separate entity from said government. Compare the Bushido code and the samurai lifestyle.

Some of the remarks made by Obi-wan and Yoda sound much like Taoism, leading fans to borrow from Lao-tzu for inventing "Jedi codes." The stuff about non-attachment is also reminiscent of Buddhism. However, those philosophies (particularly in Japan and China) have a bit of dualist flavor, yin and yang etc. Neither is evil, the goal is harmony and balance. George Lucas, on the other hand, preferred the "good vs evil" feel of the SW films and insisted the "dark side" was truly evil, not a natural counterpart to the "light side". So the fans have varying opinions, of course.

You can find all of this with just basic google reading btw.

You can find all of this with just basic google reading btw.

Hehe, there is a downside to "Google solves everything," besides running into someone who can't have a proper conversation without internet access.

I wallowed in my ignorance until I got a half-formed post-apocalyptic world that's pretty much "Memory's Child" with a touch more Lensman than Jedi. And a huge draw on the concept of advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic, or perhaps the advantages of "Connecticut Yankee in King Arther's Court," though I only saw a terrible movie loosely based on the last one. /Actually, the Lensman books have been on my "go read this" list for over a decade.\

And then I got distracted before looking up the actual Jedi stuff, not that I was too much interested.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

You bring up a very interesting point, and one that I'd like to avoid in this idea of being a Jedi Master, which is subscribing to a religious philosophy. Actually after I posted I thought to myself, "is meditation a practical thing to have on the list?" because it does tie so deeply into New Age religions and of course ancient religious ideas.

I'm thinking more in terms of "what are really practical skills the Jedi Masters would've needed?" I'm thinking about things that I mentioned like strong conflict management or public speaking skills.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Valiance, Level 1 Aasimar Warrior

[table=width: 275, class: outer_border, align: center]

STR: 2

DEX: 3

STA: 2

[tr]

CON: 2

WIS: 3

CHA: 3

[/table]

Chapter One: Valiance's Journey Begins!

Hehe, there is a downside to "Google solves everything," besides running into someone who can't have a proper conversation without internet access...

And then I got distracted before looking up the actual Jedi stuff, not that I was too much interested.

If you are able to have a conversation on this forum without internet access, color me impressed. You must have developed Jedi powers already. I suggested google only because I thought you wanted to learn something. My mistake.

You bring up a very interesting point, and one that I'd like to avoid in this idea of being a Jedi Master, which is subscribing to a religious philosophy. Actually after I posted I thought to myself, "is meditation a practical thing to have on the list?" because it does tie so deeply into New Age religions and of course ancient religious ideas.

I'm thinking more in terms of "what are really practical skills the Jedi Masters would've needed?" I'm thinking about things that I mentioned like strong conflict management or public speaking skills.

Back on topic it is... I would say that "some form of meditation" as a means to an end, and there are probably some theologically-void ways to gain emotional control, or just strip the higher power into an inscrutable and immovable Force. A bigger question is whether you want to discard the emotions, or acknowledge they are there but temper them so they don't affect you? Pain-controlling meditations also lead to important body discipline.

If minimalism is part of the philosophy, is the point in not owning the things, or can you only own important things, or can you have things and not be concerned if they are forcibly taken or destroyed? /I know of one minimalist who has an impressive collection of cooking tools, and could probably dig up examples of the other two.\

Actually, lateral thinking might be better than meditation.

Sorry Raincloak, your grip on reality is much more solid than mine is. Since I don't have "real" conversations that often, I tend to extend the "assume the name on the screen is connected to a real person or things get ugly" to practicing "real" conversations on the internet without having access to what's beyond the screen, just so I don't turn into a person who can't have a face-to-face conversation without referring to the internet. Also, ignorance served its purpose, time and place or something like that; perhaps more thinking aloud.

Meditation is not an inherently religious activity, any more than dreaming, coma, trance, or waking. It's just a kind of mental state, or more accurately a bio/mental state (since the brain is part of the body after all, and everything that happens to one affects the other).

You can focus on a thing (object, picture, sensation, idea, mantra, etc) and let it fill your mind, or you can just drift and let thoughts come and go. Nothing religious about that, is there? The traditional focus is the breath, because everybody has one with them at all times and you can control it or just be aware while it controls itself. Very relaxing, or you can do it in an energizing way, or some other way. But usually when you sit and breathe you will start to relax by default. If you wanna concentrate on your deity of choice while you do this, that's perfectly legal, but is not required. Fictional cults aside, it's actually a good skill for everybody to have.

Also, regular meditation can physically rewire the brain in good ways! I'd cite you some studies with links but apparently we are having an internet-free conversation ;) (in seriousness my computer has been broken for a week so all I can do is type on my smartphone.)

As for conflict resolution and etc, you can get a surprisingly long way with a few simple techniques. But the biggest thing is practice and an appropriate attitude. Listening and being non-judgmental are the big ones that pop to mind. I don't remember seeing any Jedi make public speeches in the movies but it's always a worthwhile skill to cultivate. Most people are terrible public speakers so the few who are good stand out... but it is a learned skill, despite what you see on TV.

Also, regular meditation can physically rewire the brain in good ways! I'd cite you some studies with links but apparently we are having an internet-free conversation ;) (in seriousness my computer has been broken for a week so all I can do is type on my smartphone.)

Hah, you can do whatever you want, or whatever is forced on you. /That's how I became aware of the problem, I was in a room with no internet, and trying to have a conversation with someone who continually brought it up instead of flashing his stupid laptop at me with his point.\

I am remembering something from DH, he knows a lot of diplomatic tricks. I think it helped him put up with a weird relation were I made friends with the wife of the guy who ended up as his enemy, and managed to play nice until the time it took us to move to opposite coasts. /About a year.\

I'm not going to ask him to think this week, or get involved with anything nerdier than spending fourty-eight hours in bed with a nice excuse for an outdated laptop.

How do you become a Jedi?

Become a highly trained, extremely deadly religious zealot who blindly follows the orders of a group of extremely powerful individuals who were not freely elected to their positions. Be very ethnocentric and convince yourself if the universe doesn't follow your institutions values and laws, they are inferior. Oh, and don't forget brainwashing young children :)

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

Okay, im down with this, and ive put a great deal of thought into it.

The way i see it, jedi is a "hero class" like death knight is in wow

Youve already got the fitness part down, now you move on to the spiritual/emotional side of the equation.

Control of emotions, meditation, leadership.

This is all my personal opinion and should be taken as such.

Too many people aspire to be a Jedi Master, not enough to be a Jedi. They see hierarchy where they should see attainment and celebration. This means they are often vain and at the journeys end before the journey is complete. My journey to mastery saw me start very clearly as a Padawan. I was inexperienced and new to the ways of the Jedi. My only teacher was the books, the games, the films. Fiction doesn’t always fit with reality and the authors can often not understand what it means to be Jedi in the way I was beginning to understand. So I settled on assessing myself with the simple tenants:

There is no emotion, there is peace;

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge;

There is no passion, there is serenity;

There is no chaos, there is harmony;

There is no death, there is the force.

You should all recognise this as the Jedi code. What you might not recognise is that this is a guide for life. Try it, take the first line and live with it for a month. See your emotions exist in direct opposition to the idea that there are no emotions. Acknowledge them, learn how your emotions affect your actions and make your choices from a place of peace. See others emotions and help others to make their choices from peace and understand their actions when they’re a result of emotion and not of peace. Then grab the second line and spend a month with that and another month seeing how lines 1 and 2 work together and move on in this manner. When you get to the end you should see how it fits to almost every part of your life and in understanding fully you, in my opinion reach Knighthood. Here, gallant Knight is your creed and code.

At this point I’d add that I see no reason when it talks about the force that the force could not be perceived as your own god. When people talk of god’s will I see a large resemblance to the force. That which surrounds us, envelopes us and binds us all together. Animal, vegetable and mineral. I also see no reason someone who’s faith lies with science shouldn’t consider the force as something that meets science. The self’s place in every cycle and process on the planet from the carbon cycle to mass/energy interplay of your subatomic cells bind you to the rest of existence.

Mastery was not something I aimed for but something that dawned on me one day when my housemates in talking started swapping life advice in terms of the Jedi code. I’d managed without trying to help two others use the code as a guide for their lives. I’d learnt with them on their journeys. That was mastery.

Like weight training you cannot go straight to the top of the game. You must first find technique, practise that technique and push yourself to a full understanding and maintain that. In declaring yourself master before ready you haven’t found the knowledge needed and you risk being in a position to dole out bad advice or stop evaluating your actions properly.

Am I the perfect Jedi? No, I’m far too emotional for that. I’m just not all that placid. Am I a Jedi Master? Yes I’d say so and if you’d say otherwise then so I’d not despair for neither pride nor despair are my masters, they don’t exist! I am however a Jedi even with a lack of telekinetic ability or a fully functional lightsaber.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

I think being a Jedi requires years of hard work and study. I also think that most people (including myself) tend to try and start in the middle or eve near the end and short cut the long arduous process of discipline that is necessary to becoming a Jedi. 

We try to get the appearance without the substance, because the substance is hard and takes time. And likely because we don't even really know where to begin learning the substance.

Simon Templar

Race: Human | Class: Intending to go for Ranger

Level: 0    Str: 0 | Dex: 0 | Sta: 0 | Con: 0 | Wis: 0 | Cha: 0

Starting Weight: 366 lbs | Goal Weight: 240 lbs | Current Weight: 338 lbs

21%
21%

What about those who wanna do it Jolee Bindo-style? ;)

Well, first off Jolee Bindo was a Jedi before becoming a hermit on Kashyyk. To even become a Jedi he had to put in a lot of work. If he wasn't already very knowledgeable and very capable he would have undoubtedly died in very short order when he went off the grid to live in the shadowlands. 

Then, on top of that, he was still studying and working even while he lived as a hermit in the wilds of Kashyyk. He was studying the planet, the wildlife, learning how it all worked together etc. 

Everyone wants the cool robes and the awesome lightsabers, but no one wants the years and years of discipline that are what really produced the cool results.

Simon Templar

Race: Human | Class: Intending to go for Ranger

Level: 0    Str: 0 | Dex: 0 | Sta: 0 | Con: 0 | Wis: 0 | Cha: 0

Starting Weight: 366 lbs | Goal Weight: 240 lbs | Current Weight: 338 lbs

21%
21%

Too many people aspire to be a Jedi Master, not enough to be a Jedi. There is no emotion, there is peace;

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge;

There is no passion, there is serenity;

There is no chaos, there is harmony;

There is no death, there is the force.

This. I never wanted to be the master of anyone but myself. One of my favorite quotes is from Francis Bacon, and goes 'I have taken all knowledge to be my province.'

I believe that a person who can remain calm, even under duress is in a better position in life than a person who can't. To paraphase something someone once said to me, you can't produce enough pressure to make me flinch.

Even in chaos there is purpose, beauty, and if one can accept chaos as simply being, then one can find the harmony within it.

The last line I don't personally use. However, I do remind myself of it for the simple reason that I believe we have one life. One life to burn brightly, or to be a dim flicker in the night.

Might as well make it a good one.

I have taken all knowledge to be my province.

- Sir Francis Bacon

Level 0 Human, leaning towards Assassin

"To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

- The Creed, as desribed by Ezio Auditore

Sith life is the life for me! 

Peace is a lie, there is only passion 

through passion, I gain strength 

Through strength, I gain power 

through power, I gain victory

through victory, my chains are broken  

the force shall free me  

some of the Jedi rules seem self destructive to me, especially the love one. I think the sith code had Marxist philosophy in it, and it certainly pumps me up for action! And while I understand that the sith are villians in the movie seres, arent the jedi basically sell outs in the prequels? Isnt that what brings their downfall?