I Want an Extraordinary Life! (Or at least an hilarious one)

'Sup peeps!

Been reading Steve's blogs the past few weeks and lurking the forums

. After a monumental battle for control, my Desire-For-Community came out victorious over my I'm-Fine-Alone introverted nature, and I registered.

The story so far?

I'm a middle-aged

, born in a year of both great sadness and great joy - 1977 - when Elvis died and
hit the big screen.

I've been a large baby, a scrawny kid/teen, an athletic collegiate, and an obese adult. At 5'8" I topped the scale at 217 lbs about this time last year with a 42" gut. I've since trimmed down to 188 lbs and am rocking size 34" pants. Sounds great, but I'm still fat. It all likes to collect on my gut right above the belt line. Booooo.

I'm 6 weeks into the Starting Strength weightlifting program

I'm 102 miles into my trek to Mordor

I just started the Couch-to-5k jogging program tonight

I'm feeling pretty good about sticking with things. So what do I need NF for?!? (I'll learn to read that as Nerd Fitness instead of Netflix eventually!) I need NF for community! For like-minded people who dream big and encourage big dreaming!! And for big ideas!!!

Hearing/Reading what others are doing makes me go, "Hey! That sounds fun! I should do that!" I want to be part of a community of people who will tap my shoulder, point at the moon, and say, "I'm thinking of going there, wanna go there too?"

I want an extraordinary life! And that means being around extraordinary people (YOU!) who have extraordinary ideas that I might not think up myself.

The setting 4 goals for six weeks game looks cool, and I want to participate. Coming up with 1-2 goals is no sweat, but coming up with 4 will make me stretch to enlarge my horizons. And that's where I'll need help. I'm ready to break out of the starter zone,

both big and small, and turn my life into an inspiring epic story!

3205-holygrail2.jpg <---- Even if I have to imagine the horses.

Congratulations on overcoming your introverted-ness, that was a challenge for me too. Taking all your progress and turning it into a permanent transformation is one of the areas where having a supporting community really helps. Cheers to epic tales!

Affekonig, level 6 Númenórean Druid STR 10|DEX 12|STA 10.5|CON 8|WIS 7|CHA 6.5

Welcome Critter! We'll help you with your quest for an extraordinary life. Nice progress so far!

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Hi Critter & welcome to NF!

With your attitude, I'm sure you'll have an extraordinary life, and I hope we can help you along the way!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! :)

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Hey, Critter! Welcome to the Rebellion, and congrats on your weight loss so far.

Good luck with your ventures, man-eating rabbits and all! And +1 on the Gautama quote :)

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looseid, Level 1 Goliath Monk

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

"To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him." - Gautama Buddha

Trying to figure out the next step. I've checked all my bags like a zillion times, but I think I forgot to pack the map! So many subforums, so many ways to get lost. Epic quests, 6 week challenges, weekly challenges, guilds, battle logs, woots, pubs, book clubs, .... oh my! Okay, breath. Baby steps.

Forum Quest List

- Register. Check

- Do the signature thing. Check.

- Make an introductory post and meet some Rebels. Check.

- Re-read the FAQ. Check.

- Still overwhelmed. Check.

- Avatars are cool. Get an avatar. ................................. Boom. Check!

- Reply to my new friends who posted in my introductory post....................... Will be Check when I press Submit Reply!

Okay, two forum quests accomplished today. Need more forum quests! Little ones. Baby steps. What's a good next step?

Taking all your progress and turning it into a permanent transformation is one of the areas where having a supporting community really helps. Cheers to epic tales!

That's the plan! I have the bad habit of starting good habits that last about 4 months before becoming no habit again. For example, in the past when trying to squish myself back into a form resembling a healthy body, getting struck down by a nasty flu for a couple of weeks sapped all my energy and motivation to move other objects heavier than a tv remote. That's a kind of time when I think I really need people to remind me that lifting the tv remote can be seen as a recovery starting point. 3 sets of 5 tv remote repetitions today, 3 sets of 5 flashlight reps tomorrow!

Welcome! I need to tell you how much I love your post. If I could give you attributes, it would be +10 CHA.

I'm glad you loved it! And it's great to meet an Ahsoka fan. I didn't like that little bugger when I saw the Clone Wars cartoon movie, but when I got around to watching the dvds for seasons 1-3 for the tv show she grew on me. I'm itching to see season 4. Gotta wait for the dvds though; I don't have cable.

Welcome Critter! We'll help you with your quest for an extraordinary life. Nice progress so far!

Thanks! I'll take all the help I can get. And you've got a cool forum picture avatar thing. I've no idea what it is, but I like it!

Hi Critter & welcome to NF!

With your attitude, I'm sure you'll have an extraordinary life, and I hope we can help you along the way!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! :)

Nice to meet you! It's that you in your avatar picture? What are you doing there? It reminds me of the S.C.A., but that's not a stick in your hand!

Hey, Critter! Welcome to the Rebellion, and congrats on your weight loss so far.

Good luck with your ventures, man-eating rabbits and all! And +1 on the Gautama quote :)

No worries, I'll eat the rabbits right back! They're just as tasty as they are cute. And I like your Gautama signature quote too. That man had a way with words. I really should read more of them.

eh - clearly you have it down - welcome to the adventurer guild, where coolness reigns.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

'Sup peeps!

. After a monumental battle for control, my Desire-For-Community came out victorious over my I'm-Fine-Alone introverted nature, and I registered.

That is awesome! It is much easier to go at with the help of a LOT of virtual friends...and you will have a lot her at NF!

I've been a large baby, a scrawny kid/teen, an athletic collegiate, and an obese adult. At 5'8" I topped the scale at 217 lbs about this time last year with a 42" gut. I've since trimmed down to 188 lbs and am rocking size 34" pants. Sounds great, but I'm still fat. It all likes to collect on my gut right above the belt line. Booooo.

Congrats on your recent successes! to drop 8 sizes in your waist is amazing! Now we are here to help you keep it off, or in a shape that you like it!

I'm feeling pretty good about sticking with things. So what do I need NF for?!? (I'll learn to read that as Nerd Fitness instead of Netflix eventually!) I need NF for community! For like-minded people who dream big and encourage big dreaming!! And for big ideas!!!

Hearing/Reading what others are doing makes me go, "Hey! That sounds fun! I should do that!" I want to be part of a community of people who will tap my shoulder, point at the moon, and say, "I'm thinking of going there, wanna go there too?"

I want an extraordinary life! And that means being around extraordinary people (YOU!) who have extraordinary ideas that I might not think up myself.

The setting 4 goals for six weeks game looks cool, and I want to participate. Coming up with 1-2 goals is no sweat, but coming up with 4 will make me stretch to enlarge my horizons. And that's where I'll need help. I'm ready to break out of the starter zone,

both big and small, and turn my life into an inspiring epic story!.

Well, you have a few weeks before the next challenge starts (November 12). That should give you plenty of time to come up with some more goals. Take a look at other's goals in the Challenge Threads. I have gotten so many ideas for future goals that I have to start writing them down in my workout notebook. I should be set for all of the challenges in 2013!

Glad to have you in the Rebellion. We are a very kind and supportive lot. And welcome to the Adventurers as well. We have a lot of fun, but we also lose a lot of weight and lift a lot of things!

Michael

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

eh - clearly you have it down - welcome to the adventurer guild, where coolness reigns.

Not quite figured out yet. This place is like a labyrinth. But thanks for the welcome! I'll try to get myself situated for the next challenge. :smile-new:

Congrats on your recent successes! to drop 8 sizes in your waist is amazing! Now we are here to help you keep it off, or in a shape that you like it!

No kidding! But I was really amazed that I got that fat to begin with! At the time, I knew I was fat, but I didn't realize how fat until I saw some pictures of myself from a vacation last year. My jaw dropped. I was like heeell no. Much happier now.

Well, you have a few weeks before the next challenge starts (November 12). That should give you plenty of time to come up with some more goals. Take a look at other's goals in the Challenge Threads. I have gotten so many ideas for future goals that I have to start writing them down in my workout notebook. I should be set for all of the challenges in 2013!

Great idea!! Now I have a map to follow on my Quest for Inspiration!

I'm glad you loved it! And it's great to meet an Ahsoka fan. I didn't like that little bugger when I saw the Clone Wars cartoon movie, but when I got around to watching the dvds for seasons 1-3 for the tv show she grew on me. I'm itching to see season 4. Gotta wait for the dvds though; I don't have cable.

Aw yay! I do really love her. TCW has done a good job with female characters IMO. I'm in Oz so I get my episodes through less than moral methods, so I've just started season five. I hope four comes out for you soon!

Padawan Adventurer: Level 23 STR | 2 DEX | 2 STA | 2 CON | 4 WIS | 4 CHACurrent Mission: Preparing for the Trials"I'm the one with enthusiasm. You're the one with experience, which I'm looking forward to learning from." - Ahsoka Tano

'Sup peeps!

The story so far?

I'm a middle-aged

, born in a year of both great sadness and great joy - 1977 - when Elvis died and
hit the big screen.

I'm 6 weeks into the Starting Strength weightlifting program

I'm 102 miles into my trek to Mordor

I just started the Couch-to-5k jogging program tonight

both big and small, and turn my life into an inspiring epic story!

3205-holygrail2.jpg <---- Even if I have to imagine the horses.

Woooooooohoooooooooooooo!!! Welcome to the rebellion!!! I gotta agree with solei!! +10 CHA!!!

I wanna go to the moon!! shall we???

This community is awesome.... I still get overwhelmed by all the forum activity... Once you start subscribing to the threads it gets awesomely insane!!! I can tell you!!! What i usually do is i click the "what's new" button up there *points* and go through those, plus the emails i get due to being subscribed to threads.... kinda works!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Yikes! That makes you 20 years younger than me. I too am very introverted, and I joined so I could open up a bit. Cruise around the challange threads and see what others are doing. You'll get some great ideas before the next challange. Glad you could join the fun. (P.S. My sister was my "hero"; her motto was always if you don't know the answer, at least say something funny - so she'd have thought your overall goal kicked @$$.) Remember, you're not a glorified extra...you might be the plucky comic relief. Welcome.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Aw yay! I do really love her. TCW has done a good job with female characters IMO. I'm in Oz so I get my episodes through less than moral methods, so I've just started season five. I hope four comes out for you soon!

Sounds like NF needs a Thie.... uh.... Rog.... er....... Creative Acquisitioners Guild!

Season 4 is supposed to come out on dvd at the end of this month here. So I shouldn't have to wait too long. Woot!

And, omg, okay, Oz. I just had a random flashback to early childhood. Must share.

Woooooooohoooooooooooooo!!! Welcome to the rebellion!!! I gotta agree with solei!! +10 CHA!!!

I wanna go to the moon!! shall we???

YES!!!

This community is awesome.... I still get overwhelmed by all the forum activity... Once you start subscribing to the threads it gets awesomely insane!!! I can tell you!!! What i usually do is i click the "what's new" button up there *points* and go through those, plus the emails i get due to being subscribed to threads.... kinda works!

Holy Hole in a Doughnut Batman! I clicked on What's New and there's 3+ pages of threads to read. So many nerds! So many ideas!

Yikes! That makes you 20 years younger than me. I too am very introverted, and I joined so I could open up a bit. Cruise around the challange threads and see what others are doing. You'll get some great ideas before the next challange. Glad you could join the fun.

I'm glad to be here. :cheerful: And thanks! I've been clicking on random threads in the forums just reading and trying to figure things out. I've already picked up a few quests from you peeps. Like Couch-to-5K and HundredPushups. I was going to wait until the next 6-week challenge begins before adding those programs into what I already do. But then I though, heck with that I'm doing them now! And I started my battle log. I should probably talk more in it, but everything's going fine so far, so I wouldn't really know what to say there. But I did provide musical entertainment there for anybody who wanders in.

(P.S. My sister was my "hero"; her motto was always if you don't know the answer, at least say something funny - so she'd have thought your overall goal kicked @$$.) Remember, you're not a glorified extra...you might be the plucky comic relief. Welcome.

The plucky comic relief?!?! Oh no!!!

Wait. Do I still get to do my own stunts? That'd be okay then. And your sister sounds like my kind of person.

Hello fellow '77er!

Hello kindred spirit!

You chip in some beer money, you can hitch a ride on my rocket of sheer awesome. That actually sounds dirtier when I look at it than it did in my head. oh well.

Welcome, knight who says "ni^h^h nerd".

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

You people are just AWESOME!!!. Ten days ago I thought I'd have a hard time getting up to 4 goals for my first challenge in a few weeks. But now after talking to you wonderful Nerds and reading through lots of posts here, I have so many ideas for the challenge that I'm having a hard time narrowing down to 4 goals.

THANKYOU!

I LOVE that you're a Panserbjørn, and I love what you've done to your guild badge.

Golden Compass and Stargate for the win! :victorious:

Also, since when is 34 middle age? We're going to live to at least 100; middle age isn't for a good 15 years yet!

35. 35-38 is statistically speaking about my expected middle age. But hell, this is NerdFitness, 100 reps of anything is just our starting quest! 150 here I come!

Extraordinary life? Sounds great! I'm in! Let's all kick some fitness goal butt! Olympic lifting, ninja climbing, marathon running, super fighting, healthy eating, stretchy stretching powers activate!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rubducky [Current Challenge]

Level 1 Human Warrior

"In times of great challenge, faith in deliverance proves a more stalwart companion than a warrior's will."

STR: 4 ~ DEX: 1 ~ STA: 2 ~ CON: 3 ~ WIS: 3 ~ CHA: 2

Golden Compass and Stargate for the win! :victorious:

35. 35-38 is statistically speaking about my expected middle age. But hell, this is NerdFitness, 100 reps of anything is just our starting quest! 150 here I come!

I forget that my birthday is toward the end of the year! I'm still 34 for another week. And HELL to the YEAH! 150, w00t!

Extraordinary life? Sounds great! I'm in! Let's all kick some fitness goal butt! Olympic lifting, ninja climbing, marathon running, super fighting, healthy eating, stretchy stretching powers activate!

Do All The Stuffs!

Speaking of, I've read your posts about struggling in figuring out whether to do weight training or bodyweight training, and what kind of bodyweight training beginners should do. I'm just throwing this out here to you, it doesn't have to be an either/or thing, you can totally do both weight training and bodyweight work. Just a thought to consider!

And so far as what makes for great bodyweight exercises, I did gymnastics for the first time last week (atop my usual weight training), and maaaaan gymnastics beat my shoulders and traps more than any of my barbell exercises.

I forget that my birthday is toward the end of the year! I'm still 34 for another week. And HELL to the YEAH! 150, w00t!

Another '77er! An early Happy Birthday to you, and a reminder that you're about to be old enough to legally run for President.

Watch out world, our gen is going to be in charge soon!

I had to give a shoutout to you, Clemmons Critter. I was born ('76) and raised down the road in Winston-Salem. (Tar Heel born, Tar Heel bred, but when I die, I'll be a Wahoo dead.)

Welcome to the forum! And keep the Monty Python coming!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week