City Ideas?

So I'm in the middle of having my weekly city crises. I come from NY but currently live in FL very unhappily because I hate the climate/general area. I want to go back to NY but honestly don't see it happening since I'd have to triple my income to make it happen. Because of that, I am willing to accept moving somewhere else, just as long as the climate and general area are more favorable for me. The only problem is I don't know what cities might be more up my alley to check out.

Currently we pay $900 for rent+Internet+electric+water+gas, and I'd like to pay less but I'm willing to keep paying the same amount or slightly higher for a place that has more than one bedroom; if I wanted to pay with my arm and leg, I'd just move back to NY. I prefer urban sprawl as opposed to rural surroundings, but as long as I can walk less than 20 minutes to get my groceries, I'm happy. Surrounding culture isn't inherently necessary, but it'd be nice. As far as climate: I'm a huge cold weather fan, though boyfriend's not so much into that, but he's willing to deal with it if we go somewhere fairly cold. But I'd be fine with anything as long as the summers aren't brutally hot or humid and there's at least some possibility of snow.

As far as employment: This isn't something important in any capacity. We're stable freelancers, so how hard it is for our neighbors to get a job is irrelevant to our own well-being (neutrally speaking).

So any ideas? A couple of places that have come up for me are Minneapolis and Madison, WI, but for BF's sake I'd like to seek something not too far north and not too far south (for my sake) since that should be a fair compromise for climate. But other than that, I'm at a loss for ideas.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for the sake our jobs, somewhere where we can get Wi-Fi or something that isn't slow.

Profession: Level 3 Sith Assassin, Slingshot Demon Slayer (Rank: Spy)Stats: STR 6 DEX 5.25 CON 9 STA 2 WIS 6.5 CHA 1Motto: Do you really want it? Luchar por ella.Links: Six Week Challenge | Life GoalsQOTD: HA! "Your Honor, permission to Kong Vault over the bench?" -- AtSeaLevel

The year I was in Indianapolis, they panicked both times that it snowed an inch. And a three-hour drive will get you some decently deep snow most of the winter, or at least bitter tempuratures. North and East into Ohio seem worse weather-wise for snow issues.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I don't actually drive either, though I'm willing to if the best place happens to be designed around driving, I guess. Speaking of Ohio, I did think about Cleveland or somewhere in that area too.

Profession: Level 3 Sith Assassin, Slingshot Demon Slayer (Rank: Spy)Stats: STR 6 DEX 5.25 CON 9 STA 2 WIS 6.5 CHA 1Motto: Do you really want it? Luchar por ella.Links: Six Week Challenge | Life GoalsQOTD: HA! "Your Honor, permission to Kong Vault over the bench?" -- AtSeaLevel

Highly recommend the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. Cold in winter but gets nice and hot in the summer. Definitely fits your budget but it is definitely a metro based around driving. Obviously we have some public transport through bus and a very limited light rail (it's just starting out and goes like 4 places). Great place to live though.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

Austin is great, and cost of living is low. You're going to be hard pressed to find a city that is cheap though. Have you thought about Virginia or the Carolinas? Philly is expensive but you could get a place on the outskirts too.

For cheap as dirt living expenses you could check out Ohio.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Austin is great, and cost of living is low. You're going to be hard pressed to find a city that is cheap though. Have you thought about Virginia or the Carolinas? Philly is expensive but you could get a place on the outskirts too.

Philly isn't expensive at all! I have a buddy living in a 2 bedroom is south philly for 800 a month, not including the other stuff. If you do live on the outskirts it's cheaper and there's a pretty good public trans system.

Not sure how expensive it is to live in these days but what about Boston MA? Or New England in general. If I ever were to move to the US MA is high up on my list (I'm biased though I lived in Boston for a year).

I personally fell in love with Boston. Nice people and it's the cleanest big city I've been in by far. Only problem is it's almost as expensive as NY.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I know you don't want warmth, but I have heard GREAT things about Austin, TX. (and 'hello' from a fellow NYC-expat -- I'm in the Boston area now, and would recommend it except for the cost thing).

Ah, good old NYC... if only I were rich. I think the BF vetoes Boston, and as a die-hard Yankee fan I'm supposed to also veto it by nature, unfortunately. I've heard good things about Austin as well, but blugh heat.

Highly recommend the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. Cold in winter but gets nice and hot in the summer. Definitely fits your budget but it is definitely a metro based around driving. Obviously we have some public transport through bus and a very limited light rail (it's just starting out and goes like 4 places). Great place to live though.

+1 on MN

I did think about Ohio, so that's another option.

Not sure how expensive it is to live in these days but what about Boston MA? Or New England in general. If I ever were to move to the US MA is high up on my list (I'm biased though I lived in Boston for a year).

I think NE in general is pretty bloody expensive... at least if I want to live within a mile of a neighbor anyway.

Philly isn't expensive at all! I have a buddy living in a 2 bedroom is south philly for 800 a month, not including the other stuff. If you do live on the outskirts it's cheaper and there's a pretty good public trans system.

I personally fell in love with Boston. Nice people and it's the cleanest big city I've been in by far. Only problem is it's almost as expensive as NY.

Philly would be pretty high on my list if I were to find the right place. I'd be very willing to put up with a semi-long Amtrak ride into the city. It's better than what it would take to get there from here.

Well, Chicago has sweltering summers and snow-dumper winters. I also have a suspicion that there are pockets of needing a car but having bad parking in some of the better cheaper areas. I lived outside of the easy transportation zone at two extremes.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Philly would be pretty high on my list if I were to find the right place. I'd be very willing to put up with a semi-long Amtrak ride into the city. It's better than what it would take to get there from here.

You'd be able to live in the suburbs and take the local rail into the heart of the city in 15-20 minutes once the train came (every hour if I remember). Did this in college when living with my dad and small 2 bedroom apartments or large 1 bedrooms are only like $750 out in the suburbs. A month pass for the train is like $120 or I think $3 each way individually.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You'd be able to live in the suburbs and take the local rail into the heart of the city in 15-20 minutes once the train came (every hour if I remember). Did this in college when living with my dad and small 2 bedroom apartments or large 1 bedrooms are only like $750 out in the suburbs. A month pass for the train is like $120 or I think $3 each way individually.

I meant Manhattan, although that's a decent enough price for me to consider the suburbs if I settled on Philly. A bit more expensive than NYC, but I'm not gonna complain when everything else is cheaper.

$750 more expensive than NYC? I live 75 miles north of the city and commute in and there's nothing even approaching that price all the way up here. If you're lucky you could get a true 1 bedroom in BX or BK for like 1250, but it'd be a crummy part of town.

I'd say given what you want, Philly or Baltimore are pretty solid options.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

$750 more expensive than NYC? I live 75 miles north of the city and commute in and there's nothing even approaching that price all the way up here. If you're lucky you could get a true 1 bedroom in BX or BK for like 1250, but it'd be a crummy part of town.

I'd say given what you want, Philly or Baltimore are pretty solid options.

No, the transportation ticket. I'm definitely aware of NYC's rent prices. Also I'd argue against that since you could get a one bedroom in College Point for 1k with utilities, and that's not really a bad part of Queens. The only problem is it doesn't come up often.

I'm going to throw Sacramento, California in the mix.

Weather:

Short hot-bursts (100+) in the Summer. Awesome, mild weather the rest of the year. No snow. No hurricanes. No tornadoes. No earthquakes. WIN WIN WIN WIN

Culture:

Great city center. You can live downtown and be less than a 20 minute walk from everything. Yes, everything. We have outstanding museums and galleries, great concert venues and comedy clubs, and superb play houses. The only thing that could be slightly improved is our regional transit, but that's only if you are looking to move around on it after hours. Most people in downtown ride bikes. If you prefer to be a little further out of downtown, the suburbs sprawl in all directions. I've lived downtown and in the suburbs. Both are awesome.

Rent prices:

Reasonable on the national scale, but can creep up during the school year since we are a University town. Craigslist is your best friend here.

Outside of the city:

Less than 2 hours to the Ocean, less than 2 hours to the mountains, less than 4 hours to Yosemite, about 4 hours to Oregon, 6 hours to LA. Seriously... Living in Sacramento means you can go surfing and skiing or hiking in the mountains in the same day (weather permitting).

Interwebz access:

Prices are so-so. There is one OUTSTANDING service here, which is Surewest. If you get somewhere with Surewest, your speeds are practically unlimited (based on price, of course).

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Going westward again I could suggest Boise, Idaho.

You can get a 2 bedroom downtown for $700 or so and there is a bus system here, don't know many people that use is since I work after it stops, bu I know its there.

we have warmer summers and it snows a bit in the winter, and you are very close to mountains.

Another place that I know of as far as the transportation system is Portland, Oregon. Also close to snow, not sure on the winters there, or if it does snow there but I have visited a few times and have considered moving there.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

No heat, well, there goes NOLA or D/FW.

Riverside, Iowa!!! Why??? It's the Official Future Birthplace of Capt. James T. Kirk. Plus Iowa is noted for large deer, and deer are tasty!!!

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

*Cough* Albuquerque, NM *Cough*

Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do (the city is up against a huge mountain so hiking, climbing, etc.), cost of living is mostly low, public transportation is reasonable, there is a unique culture that's reflected in food, artwork, etc, there are many places to go see in the area (Taos, Carlsbad Caverns, Sante Fe's art scene, etc) and the climate is nice (varying temps, maybe a little on the dry side).

I like most of the stuff around here, but the best part is the food.

Also, there is apparently huge freelancing scene that I've met a couple people in.

Another vote for Ohio here. I'd actually recommend Columbus or Cincinnati over Cleveland.

Of course, I'd personally rather live in a different climate, but I've enjoyed Ohio more than I have Pennsylvania or New York.

I'd stay away from Cleveland as well. Still somewhat of a rust belt town.

Columbus is a major Internet NAP (connectivity) and has a good tech community due to OSU, the state government and a bunch of banks/insurance companies. There is a pretty diverse social scene with most major immigrant groups represented (German, Irish, Asian, Southeast Asian, African). In the 90's and early 00's Columbus was used for a test market of many things because its demographics supposedly match those of the country as a whole. There is one intersection in the Dublin suburb that had 49 different chain restaurants within a mile (oh, and Wendy's headquarters).

No successful pro sports teams other than the Buckeyes... Good road and plane connectivity to the world. Great metro park system. Lousy bus system (it is a spoke system and most of the growth is around the outer belt).

January and February are usually in the 20's. A few days over a 100 each summer.

Cincinnati always feels chopped up to me. It is very hilly and feels difficult to get around.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I can't believe no one has recommended Denver or Boulder. I mean seriously. The climate is DRY always, so even in the summer, when it does occasionally break 90-100, I swear it doesn't feel anywhere close to as hot as 85 felt when I lived in DC. AND you get snow, so it's beautiful and there's a chill in the air, but it doesn't feel as cold as humid places like NYC either. Plus, it'll generally snow at night and then be sunny and beautiful all day.

Both cities are full of walkable/bike-able attractions. There are a LOT of "car-free" types around. And if you enjoy outdoor activities, it's hard to imagine a better setting. It's also a great place to get real food. Both cities are constantly among the country's healthiest for a reason! Denver International Airport is a hub for several airlines, so there aren't many places you can't get for a reasonable price too.

I'm a transplant to Indianapolis from Denver for work, but I can't recommend Colorado highly enough!

yeah, i can't really recommend missouri based on your requirements. Snow is hit or miss during the winter, and our summers get pretty hot and humid (but from what i hear not nearly as bad as florida). I guess we're somewhat middle of the road?

Columbia, MO is a pretty awesome city though. It's a college town with a lot of stuff to do, and it's very bike friendly (bike trails everywhere!). From my understanding a one-two bedroom apartment run around $4-600, but are in high demand. Internet is pretty good from what i hear. depending on where you get an apartment in the city you'll usually be close to a store.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I can't believe no one has recommended Denver or Boulder. I mean seriously. The climate is DRY always, so even in the summer, when it does occasionally break 90-100, I swear it doesn't feel anywhere close to as hot as 85 felt when I lived in DC. AND you get snow, so it's beautiful and there's a chill in the air, but it doesn't feel as cold as humid places like NYC either. Plus, it'll generally snow at night and then be sunny and beautiful all day.

Both cities are full of walkable/bike-able attractions. There are a LOT of "car-free" types around. And if you enjoy outdoor activities, it's hard to imagine a better setting. It's also a great place to get real food. Both cities are constantly among the country's healthiest for a reason! Denver International Airport is a hub for several airlines, so there aren't many places you can't get for a reasonable price too.

I'm a transplant to Indianapolis from Denver for work, but I can't recommend Colorado highly enough!

I didn't live in Denver, so I can't speak to pricing on rent/utilities/etc... but I lived an hour away in Colorado Springs, and frequently made the trip up there. There is plenty to do, and I quite liked the balance of weather. It get cold, but doens't stay that way for long, it gets broken up well like smeej said. Lots of cultural stuff, a theme park, several colleges and universities, 4 pro sports teams... I wish I still lived down closer to Denver, its now a 7 hour drive for me. I miss it!

I didn't live in Denver, so I can't speak to pricing on rent/utilities/etc... but I lived an hour away in Colorado Springs, and frequently made the trip up there. There is plenty to do, and I quite liked the balance of weather. It get cold, but doens't stay that way for long, it gets broken up well like smeej said. Lots of cultural stuff, a theme park, several colleges and universities, 4 pro sports teams... I wish I still lived down closer to Denver, its now a 7 hour drive for me. I miss it!

Not to mention weed is legal.....

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!