Juicing Fast

smazzon1

After (finally!) watching the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, I think I might go on a 10 day juicing fast. I figure 10 days is short enough (plus I'm still in the fundamental classes for CrossFit so I figure this might be the best time to go low on protein). My mom and sister bought a machine a while back when the fast was popular so I'm going to borrow it for a week.

I live near a farmer's market so I'm going to try to get local fruits and vegetables whenever possible.

One reason I want to do it is to finally get over my sweet tooth. For the past month (it's on my daily blogs) I've been trying to cut out sweets here and there (i.e. ice cream and cake are off this list) but I always cheat a little. I think this might help.

Has anyone here ever tried it? Is it a good idea to try it?

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

I personally don't think it's a good idea to only subsist off of liquids, especially if you are a very active person. You'll probably get your vitamins, some fiber, and a whole lot of carbs. But it just doesn't seem right to me. If you ate actual fruit (and hopefully veg) along with it, I could see this potentially being nice. But liquid only?

P.S. I'm not even counting the fact that low sodium and protein intake do not sound like a good idea for an active athlete... at all.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

After (finally!) watching the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, I think I might go on a 10 day juicing fast. I figure 10 days is short enough (plus I'm still in the fundamental classes for CrossFit so I figure this might be the best time to go low on protein). My mom and sister bought a machine a while back when the fast was popular so I'm going to borrow it for a week.

I live near a farmer's market so I'm going to try to get local fruits and vegetables whenever possible.

One reason I want to do it is to finally get over my sweet tooth. For the past month (it's on my daily blogs) I've been trying to cut out sweets here and there (i.e. ice cream and cake are off this list) but I always cheat a little. I think this might help.

Has anyone here ever tried it? Is it a good idea to try it?

I did a water fast for eight days this past summer. It was great. I am absolutely going to do another water fast when I can (pregnant now, no fasting for me) There are some contraindications for fasting so you may want to look up what those are before you really do anything.

Fasting is totally healthy, normal and a good way to get in touch with your beliefs about food and understanding yourself more.

Bariatric surgery is actually a medicalised, artificially enhanced version of fasting. People are clamoring to get this done, what is the result after the surgery? People can hardly eat any food at all. Essentially they're fasting.

It is NOT a good idea to work out, even at the fundamental levels of Crossfit. This is a time for your body to rest and repair itself. That is ultimately what fasting is for. Be VERY careful about working out during a fast.