• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sarcasticgrrl

Society for Creative Anachronism?

You're entering a hobby in which people will hit you with sticks until you stop moving. You're much more likely to get an injury from SCA than you are from weights.

While getting hit with sticks is part of the game, you have to understand that this is rattan.  Rattan flexes, quite a bit actually.  It's also nothing like BOTN or ACL where you are hit with a blunted sword simulator until you hit the ground. The SCA has a VERY good safety record (better than high school football).

You're entering a hobby in which people will hit you with sticks until you stop moving.

If this is the case, Someone needs to be banned from the SCA.  Including the person doing it and the people that let it happened.

Anyone else a member thereof? I'm still a newblet, so I'm looking for older and wiser advice in the matter of swinging a sword.

I'm a scadian but not a fighter.

While getting hit with sticks is part of the game, you have to understand that this is rattan.  Rattan flexes, quite a bit actually.  It's also nothing like BOTN or ACL where you are hit with a blunted sword simulator until you hit the ground. The SCA has a VERY good safety record (better than high school football).

I'm first aider at most events  - even if  we just got disbanded- we're still here.

I've called EMS more for allergic reactions than anything  and fighting? The kitchen is where the injuries happen. Kitchen and allergies.

• Like 1

I've called EMS more for allergic reactions than anything and fighting? The kitchen is where the injuries happen. Kitchen and allergies.

I can believe it. The worst injury I've had so far is a nasty bruise on my thigh from a Tuchux during an authorization while in Atlantia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In terms of heavies and hospitals, freak accident tends to be the main cause. Sorry, i've seen worse injuries at school sport meets, or at least larger quantities.

In terms of heavies and hospitals, freak accident tends to be the main cause. Sorry, i've seen worse injuries at school sport meets, or at least larger quantities.

My friend had his forearm broken in the field battle at Pennsic a few years back. He took a freak shot that landed between his demi-gauntlet and vambrace. So, yes, exactly that.

He still fought in most of the rapier points after that.

I took a shot on the shoulder once that pushed my skin over the edge of my metal gorget.  I laid me open pretty good, probably needed stitches, but We just cleaned it up and threw a bandage on it.  It wasn't too bad, defiantly a freak accident.   The worst I have seen was a smashed nipple.  Poor guy.  Everyone felt bad for him.