Ancalagon vs. Goodwince, Starting Strength of a Warrior Challenge

Every warrior needs a grand nemesis of similar standing to help them go stronger. Ancalagon, The Black and I noticed that we were both doing Starting Strength. On top of doing SS we both had close lifting percentage as well as body weight.

Once the similarities were noticed a competition begin to spark. Our fates were sealed and we became entangled in a chance to create a legendary showdown. A showdown that could rival the ancients!

So here we are.. Using the big four (Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press) we will battle to see who will achieve greatness. Due to differences in strengths we shall use Fitocracy to get totals to a fit score.

That is our only rules Squat/Bench/Deadlift/OHP are the only thing that can be scored! Warmups and backup sets count.

Finishing Scores (alphabetical)

Ancalagon: 21,874

Goodwince: 21,883

Thirster: 8,147

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Brilliant stuff. I will update my training progress here. In addition, here are my starter weights as of November 6, 2012 for the big 4. Note that I have lifted higher weights than these but I have deloaded recently to concentrate almost exclusively on form.

Deadlift: 275 lbs

Squats: 280 lbs

Bench Press: 185 lbs

OHP: 140 lbs

Here we go again ...

Ancalagon The Black. Half Dragon Spellsword

ok, so from my understanding you'll both be using fitocracy to score your workouts, and then you'll be comparing your grand totals for the next challenge?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Our plan is to add our fitocracy points for the big 4 for the next 1 month. The person with the highest points all added up wins this PvP. :)

ok, cool. are you starting it today? i might total mine and compare it alongside yours, even though you guys are decently above me weight wise. i'm also doing strong lifts instead of ss, but i'm doing all 4 of those lifts anyway.

Brilliant stuff. I will update my training progress here. In addition, here are my starter weights as of November 6, 2012 for the big 4. Note that I have lifted higher weights than these but I have deloaded recently to concentrate almost exclusively on form.

Deadlift: 275 lbs

Squats: 280 lbs

Bench Press: 185 lbs

OHP: 140 lbs

Here we go again ...

Those are your starting numbers? LOL. Damn it. I've got my work cut out for me. It'll be like a micro-deload for me haha.

Deadlift: 275

Squat: 230

Bench Press: 185

OHP: 130

Squats are going to be where you'll kill me..

ok, cool. are you starting it today? i might total mine and compare it alongside yours, even though you guys are decently above me weight wise. i'm also doing strong lifts instead of ss, but i'm doing all 4 of those lifts anyway.

Join us! Starting today. The more the merrier. Do like an adjustment so that you know your ratios in comparison to gains that way you're not comparing our amount of weight lifted to your own. My previous maxes were 3 sets of 5..

DL: 300

S: 265

BP: 205

OHP: 140

This way you don't get bent out of shape comparing to us, more bent on increasing at a similar rate. Also, keep in mind that 5x5 is quite a bit more sets wise. When people post their PRs, I tend to get frustrated at first till I realize they mean 1RM.

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

I actually don't know my current 1rm or 5rm, i've just been using my current working weight. I am going to try for my 1rm's in a couple of weeks.

Current working weight:

Squat: 195 x 5

Bench: 120 x 5

DL: 235 x 4

OHP: 105 x 5

Barbell Row: 110 x 5

thirster42: Please do join us. The more the merrier. This is just a 1 month before-the-holidays PvP for fun.

Goodwince: I am built to squat I think. I am short, stocky and have very thick legs and quads.

I also don't know my 1RM's. I think that 1RMs are useless. 5RMs are a much better measure of both strength and endurance I think. I also get a little peeved when people post their numbers and I think that it is a 5RM only to realize that its a 1RM. :P

1RM isn't pointless if that's what you base your numbers off of haha. I just choose not too because I don't see the point unless I'm going to do powerlifting. I'm nowhere near competition ready so I'll stick with what I got! Especially considering many of the powerlifters I've read use a set of at least 3 instead of just 1 to gain strength. If I begin to approach a decent set of numbers for my weight class then I'll consider powerlifting, mainly for motivation.

So we're a group of guys who have no clue of 1RM potential other than online calculations lmao.

You may be built to squat, but you also do soccer which gives you some strength in the legs that I lack. I've never played a sport haha. It's all good. It'll just make me stay motivated!

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Aha. I am exactly 5'6" without shoes so you must look much slimmer/leaner than me.

thirster42: Wow ! In D&D, ogrillons have similar stats. :P

:-D

yeah i tend to liken myself as an ogre, but penguins are more awesome.

Thirster you're tall! Holy crap haha. Shave a little off and give it to Ancalagon. Then I might be concerned that we are the same person.. :o Penguins are definitely awesome!

Let the lifting commence!! Surprised you didn't start yesterday Ancalagon.

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

I actually started lifting yesterday but forgot to update. So, here it goes:

Update: November 6, 2012

Workoutz:

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)

185 lb x 3 reps (+74 pts)

225 lb x 2 reps (+82 pts)

280 lb x 5 reps (+175 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

65 lb x 5 reps (+41 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

135 lb x 3 reps (+53 pts)

155 lb x 2 reps (+51 pts)

185 lb x 5 reps (+92 pts)

Power Clean:

45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)

45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)

65 lb x 5 reps (+30 pts)

85 lb x 3 reps (+28 pts)

95 lb x 2 reps (+25 pts)

115 lb x 3 reps (+34 pts)

Pull-Up:

3 reps (+34 pts)

3 reps (+34 pts)

Total Squat Points: 819

Total Bench Press Points: 507

Total Relevant Points: 1326

Bodyweight: 182.4 lbs

Barbell Squat: (581)

50 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)

50 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+47 pts)

130 lb x 3 reps (+51 pts)

175 lb x 2 reps (+58 pts)

220 lb x 5 reps (+117 pts)

Barbell Bench Press: (478)

50 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)

50 lb x 5 reps (+37 pts)

85 lb x 5 reps (+47 pts)

120 lb x 3 reps (+48 pts)

175 lb x 5 reps (+86 pts)

Barbell Deadlift: (457)

120 lb x 5 reps (+59 pts)

120 lb x 5 reps (+59 pts)

150 lb x 3 reps (+58 pts)

270 lb x 5 reps (+164 pts)

Damn.. you beat me out of the gate with higher numbers too!! 1,516 Total

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

so before adjusting my total down to exclude the two extra work sets since you two are doing ss instead of sl, my total was 1,458 pts.

Barbell Squat: 471

45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)

95 lb x 3 reps (+40 pts)

115 lb x 2 reps (+39 pts)

135 lb x 2 reps (+44 pts)

200 lb x 5 reps (+102 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP): 407

45 lb x 10 reps (+58 pts)

55 lb x 3 reps (+42 pts)

65 lb x 2 reps (+38 pts)

75 lb x 2 reps (+41 pts)

110 lb x 5 reps (+76 pts)

Barbell Deadlift: 224

135 lb x 2 reps (+44 pts)

235 lb x 5 reps (+129 pts)

My adjusted total is 1,102.

You know, guys, I was thinking, once all 3 of us complete this PvP, we should reward ourselves accordingly. What do you think? Should we publicly post a specific, particular reward that we will get if we manage to complete some pre-defined point total?

Ideas? Thoughts? Also, squat, OHP, deadlift day tomorrow. Watch out, some monstrous numbers (hopefully) coming in. :)

Yeah, perhaps rewards should be set as goal numbers for our lifts? I think that's more appropriate since we kinda have a better gauge for that!

I'll adjust my scoring! To only have 3 sets. I just wanted to keep going since I was in deload stage.

Social. MFP | Fitocracy