Weirdquark Doesn't Have Challenge Goals Right Now

We had rental gear the one time we did it - I'm not sure I've ever worn more painful shoes in my whole life. But I'll be damned if they didn't grip the wall.

Hm. They were not the most painful shoes I've ever worn, and while they did help grip the wall more than my sneakers, they didn't help as much as I had expected. Possibly this means I should go down a size?

There are still routes I wasn't able to get because of my grip confidence -- there were places where I didn't want to let go of a handhold to reach for another one because I didn't think I could keep myself stable long enough to grab on. But progress was made and I was able to do more than I had last time, yay. Also, there were a lot of guys on the wall when I started; they all left before I did and there ended up being me and two other women who were also short and not there with a guy. So we chatted a bit about being short and female and trying to make up for our lack of reach with technique -- one of the other women said that after a year she was still stuck on the V1s (lowest level is V0) though she was able to get most of the V1s. So that gives me an idea of the sort of time frame I might need before I can manage V2s. (I suspect my upper body strength is better than hers, but I suspect I also weigh a bit more than she does. Yet another reason to do a cut and lose weight. Sigh. But a cut is just less appealing than working on body comp wherein I end up weighing the same but look like I've lost twenty pounds.)

Today felt better despite not really improving on previous good lifts. I dragged less and this was with feeling a bit sore from climbing for an hour yesterday.

A1: DB Rows

1x3 @52.5

4x5 @62.5

Tried 67.5 again and I don't know what I did on Saturday that made me able to get five reps, but I did one rep and wasn't able to get it up as high as I wanted so I dropped back down to 62.5 again. Worked on getting the reps smooth and less Kroc-row-like. Possibly next I'll switch to doing them two-point row style so I can't brace myself against the bench for extra leverage.

A2: Front Squat

1x5 @55

1x3 @75

1x2 @90

1x2 @100

1x3 @100

1x4 @100

1x3 @100

Guess I shouldn't have dropped weight on Monday? Again, not as good as the five reps, even grindy ones, that I did on Saturday. Not moving up even though I did get five reps on three sets back then -- it wasn't a good idea the first time. Staying here, working on making the reps faster.

B1: DB OHP

1x5 @22.5

1x3 @30

4x3 @35

Felt pretty good other than not being able to get more than three reps. But three is the minimum that I'm aiming for, so it's all good.

B2: Deadlifts (deficit)

1x5 @100

1x5 @135

1x5 @145

1x3 @155

Laddering up instead of trying to do all of my sets at the top of the weight. All sets done double overhand. Could have done more at 155 but form was slipping so I stopped.

Lat raises thing

1x10 @5

A little extra something because I had time -- found these in a bodybuilding site. You start with side lat raises and then bring the DBs around to the front while holding them at shoulder height, raise them over your head, and then bring them back down to shoulder level in the front, back to the side, and then down again. That's one rep. (I did these before and may have described them already.) Even at 5# these were burning by the end of the set -- the bodybuilder who suggested them says that he only does them with 10# (though he probably also does a lot more arm stuff than I do) so I figure 5# is reasonable for me. Have to figure out if I want to do more than one set of these but since they're not actually in my scheduled workout it doesn't really matter.

Light day. No climbing this evening -- I have a rehearsal and it starts close enough to when I get off work that I'd only have fifteen minutes, half an hour if I really pushed it. Boo.

A1: Rows

1x10 @35

1x5 @55

3x10 @70

A2: Front Squats

1x10 @35

1x5 @55

3x10 @70

Noticed that the last couple of reps were getting a little slow, but not too bad. Tried to take very little rest this time.

B1: DB OHP

3x10 @22.5

B2: Hip Thrusts

1x10 @BW

1x5 @70

1x10 @105

1x7 @105

Second set I remembered to hold for a few seconds at the top and wasn't able to finish all of my reps. I think I'm not activating my glutes properly; need to do some more at BW and pay more attention.

More sore! Lifting helped. My rest periods ended up being weird because I kept needing to go to the bathroom.

Heavy day.

A1: DB Row

1x3 @52.5

4x5 @62.5

A2: Front Squats

1x10 @35

1x5 @55

1x3 @75

1x2 @90

3x5 @100

1x1 @100

On the last set of squats I hit the safeties and barely got it up on that first rep -- after that my legs decided I was done. Reps still all slow.

Pushups

4x20

The first set was normal but I tried doing the other sets as fast as possible. Managed to keep the speed up through the entire second set; the third and fourth slowed down on the last few reps.

Rack Deadlifts

1x5 @115 (double overhand)

1x3 @155 (double overhand)

1x1 @195 (mixed grip)

1x1 @215 (mixed grip)

1x1 @220 (mixed grip)

1x3 @225 (mixed grip)

2x2 @225 (mixed grip)

I didn't get as high with double overhand this time but I realized when I got to ~215 that I had forgotten to chalk my hands so that may have hand something to do with it.

Skipped Sunday last week due to guests, so it's been a while since overhead squats.

Medium day

A1: Inverted Rows

4x10 @BW

A2: Overhead Squats

1x10 @15

1x5 @25

1x5 @35

3x10 @40

1x5 @40

The rows were horizontal than I've done them before since I wanted these to be lighter than I'd normally do them and it seemed to help the overhead squats -- got all of my reps on the first three sets and only lost tension and failed on the last one.

B: Clean and Press

1x3 @40 --hang clean

1x3 @65

8x3/2 @80

And once again, three reps of clean and push pressed on the first two. I probably talked about adding reps because while the push press is still hard I should be increasing the weight on the cleans but forgot to do so. It's the weekend, it's not a heavy day, so not going to worry about pushing.

Heavy day

A1: DB Row

1x3 @52.5

4x5 @62.5

1x5 @55

1x3 @75

1x2 @90

4x5 @100

Better than Saturday -- didn't feel quite as slow and grindy. Of course I had more time to rest today because I didn't need to leave the house early.

B1: Bench Press

1x5 @55

1x3 @75

1x2 @90

1x5 @100

1x4 @100

2x5 @100

Now I wish I had tried for that fifth rep on the second set after all, but it really felt like I would have missed it. I guess I took a little more rest before the third and forth sets.

B2: 1-arm DB swing

4x10 @45

Banged on my wrist again but moving up in weight anyway.

Rest day

I used the exercise bike this morning (I know!) because I wanted to do some easy cardio while practicing a singing part while half asleep. No, really, my eyes were closed for like the first fifteen minutes. Anyway, very light-- the bike thinks I went about 7.2 miles in the thirty-five minutes or so I was out there, so that's just over 12 mi/hour and any trouble I had singing was more from being half asleep and not being able to remember what I was doing than from not having enough air. It was pretty great actually, the being half asleep and the practicing singing made the time go by faster.

Heavy day

My roommate told me late last night that he needed to leave early so I was extra efficient with lifting. I also wanted to and managed to wake up about 10 minutes before the alarm went off and got up right away so I started extra early too. So short rest periods and finished a half hour sooner than usual, go me.

A1: DB 3-point Row

1x3 @52.5

3x5 @62.5

1x10 @52.5

I was only going to do three sets but ended up faster than I thought so I added in a back off set on the fourth round.

1x5 @55

1x3 @75

1x2 @90

3x5 @100

1x10 @85

Sets at 100 still slow but more solid and since I got at least 3x5 all three days I'll move up. Which is good because it's always weird when my bench is better than my squat and right now bench press and front squat are the same.

B1: DB Alternating OHP

1x5 @22.5

1x2 @32.5

3x5 @35

1x6 @32.5

Added a back-off set here too but not for deadlifts.

B2: Deadlifts (low plate deficit)

1x5 @115

1x5 @135

1x5 @155

Rest day

I used the exercise bike this morning (I know!) because I wanted to do some easy cardio while practicing a singing part while half asleep. No, really, my eyes were closed for like the first fifteen minutes. Anyway, very light-- the bike thinks I went about 7.2 miles in the thirty-five minutes or so I was out there, so that's just over 12 mi/hour and any trouble I had singing was more from being half asleep and not being able to remember what I was doing than from not having enough air. It was pretty great actually, the being half asleep and the practicing singing made the time go by faster.

You're my new multitasking hero!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

You are an efficiency monster, it seems. Singing and cardio while half asleep. Waking up early and rocking a heavy day? Boo-YA.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I think everyone who hates doing low intensity steady state cardio but does it anyway for some reason should do it while half asleep -- it's much less boring that way. :)

You know, I always thought cardio in the morning was harder. But I never considered the benefits of being half asleep. I'm pretty certain I coudln't sing during it. But maybe I should slow waaaay down (if that's possible) and try!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

You know, I always thought cardio in the morning was harder. But I never considered the benefits of being half asleep. I'm pretty certain I coudln't sing during it. But maybe I should slow waaaay down (if that's possible) and try!

Hey, they do say that you should be able to carry on a conversation while doing LISS, right? :D And I was only singing for maybe fifteen, twenty seconds at a time -- it's a introduction to my character type snippet, so the whole thing isn't even twenty measures long. I don't know how well this (the being half asleep, not the singing) would work for things like running, especially outside when you have to pay attention to things like staying on the road, not getting run over, and not stepping on anything that you shouldn't, but for a stationary bike, I could just move my legs and arms around and after a 'warm-up' where I woke up to that half-asleep state, managed to keep things around level 1.5 or so which ended up being about twelve miles an hour which is a nice easy pace.

Light day

A1: Barbell Row

1x5 @55

3x10 @70

1x5 @55

3x10 @70

B1: Alternating DB OHP

3x10 @22.5

B2: Hip Thrusts

3x10 @BW

I was sore for days after doing these with the barbell so decided that since it's a light day I should practice more without it.

Climbed last night, yay. Need to go somewhere where I can try on climbing shoes and see how they feel, preferably while being able to see how they stick to walls.

Rest day stretching this morning.

Ooooo climbing shoes. How I love/hate those things. They are super sticky. And it is a world of difference from climbing in regular street shoes. The biggest thing (besides the stickiness) is the tapered toe box allowing you to really put pressure on one little tiny spot.

Is there an REI near you at all? They all have a rock wall where you can try various gear out.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Ooooo climbing shoes. How I love/hate those things. They are super sticky. And it is a world of difference from climbing in regular street shoes. The biggest thing (besides the stickiness) is the tapered toe box allowing you to really put pressure on one little tiny spot.

Is there an REI near you at all? They all have a rock wall where you can try various gear out.

The closest REI to me is Houston, which is nearby by Texas standards but that's still ~100 miles away. I talked to one of the guys who works at the wall at the gym and he said that they have an equipment shop where you can try on shoes and there is a bit of wall that's not really meant for climbing but you can use it to test foot holds a bit.

There does appear to be an REI in Boston though, so if I have time I might stop by there instead.

The closest REI to me is Houston, which is nearby by Texas standards but that's still ~100 miles away. I talked to one of the guys who works at the wall at the gym and he said that they have an equipment shop where you can try on shoes and there is a bit of wall that's not really meant for climbing but you can use it to test foot holds a bit.

There does appear to be an REI in Boston though, so if I have time I might stop by there instead.

Oh also, I own a pair of Mad Rock Mugen's (an old style) and they are great for bouldering type of work (really sticky, small point for digging in etc) but aren't all that comfortable for longer climbs. For those I have a pair of Five ten Huecos. Much more relaxed and comfy for longer hauls. But I highly recommend both brands. I've had them for over a decade now (god I am old) and only had to resole the Five Tens once.

Edit: you are making want to break out my gear again. It's been sitting in my closet for too long.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Practicing regular squats again to get ready for the Midwinter powerlifting thing.

Squats

1x5 @55

1x5 @70

1x4 @85

1x3 @95

1x2 @105

1x1 @115

1x1 @125

1x1 @130

3x5 @105

Didn't go for a max effort -- this minus the back-off sets at the end is what day one of my new squat routine will look like. I'll probably try to go a little heavier over the next few days but since I've been doing all front squats for the past five or six weeks I wanted to get used to the difference in form.

Bench

1x5 @55

1x4 @65

1x3 @75

1x2 @85

1x1 @95

1x1 @105

1x1 @110

1x1 @115

1x1 @120 (PR)

3x5 @85

All that time working on sets of five at 100 paid off I see. I may have even had a little more than 120/121 though it was hard enough to get up that there was not another five pounds in me. But maybe microloading.

Deadlift (small plate deficit)

1x5 @85 (double overhand)

1x4 @115 (double overhand)

1x3 @135 (double overhand)

1x2 @155 (double overhand)

1x1 @165 (double overhand)

2x1 @175 (mixed)

Not sure if I just didn't set up correctly or what, but 175 was heavy enough that I switched to mixed grip and didn't want to try to go heavier again. The second set was to get the bar on the rack so I could continue adding weight doing rack pulls.

Rack Pull

1x1 @185 (double overhand)

1x1 195 (double overhand)

1x1 205 (mixed <- bah, pretty sure I have done this DO before but not today)

1x1 215 (mixed)

1x1 225 (mixed)

1x1 230 (mixed)

1x1 235 (mixed) (PR)

1x1 245 (mixed) (PR)

1x0 255 (mixed)

Last week I failed to pull 235 from the rack. I actually got a bit lower while setting up the pull to better activate my glutes so that probably made the difference. This took some juggling -- I had trouble fitting all of my plates (I can fit 230 as plates before running out of room for the clips-- here I put the DB boxes and was able to go a bit higher though I couldn't fit three 10lb plates after the box on one side (I could on the other. I don't know what was up with that.) so I balanced my 5lb DBs on the other side to get up to 255. This means that if I can manage to get three 10lb plates on each side after the boxes the max weight I can pull with my current setup is 265.

So the new plan involves having three lifting days, two conditioning days, and two cardio days. Sunday is going to be a conditioning day and since I haven't done so in a while I decided to swing my sledge hammer around.

20 mins Sledgehammer: churning butter, shoveling, chopping, curl-swing-things. Did twenty reps of everything and got through three full rounds plus half of a fourth, finishing up with shoveling on both sides when my alarm went off.

Core work also goes on conditioning days so I did some planking and I want to throw in some hanging leg raises so I can do core and grip.

I'm going to have minimal access to a gym over the holidays so I'm working on things I can do that are challenging and only use bodyweight. I can work on pistol squats -- something that I keep meaning to get good at but with the exception of one challenge when I succeed at doing one (and then stopped being able to do them when I stopped working at them) I haven't put in the effort. So those are going into my routine.

I've been wanting to work on 1-arm pushups and am currently at the stage of hahahano, but I just tried doing some at an incline (counter height) and managed to get five with, I think, reasonable depth. The last time (probably several months ago) I did this incline 1-arm pushups were also at the hahahano stage.

Yay! I don't know if I'll have a way to do inverse rows because that depends on the sort of tables there are and my suitcase is not going to be heavy enough for suitcase rows to be all that useful without doing way more reps than I'm interested in, but I know I'll have a counter, so 1-arm pushups: I will be coming for you.

Still testing out the new workout plan and getting used to high bar back squats again:

Squats

1x5 @55

1x5 @70

1x4 @85

1x3 @100

1x2 @115

1x1 @125

1x1 @135

1x0 @140

Not quite back up to my old standards, though getting 140 didn't always happen when I was in practice either.

DB OHP

1x10 @22.5

1x8 @25

1x6 @27.5

3x5 @30

Using a dumbbell in each hand! Exciting! I've been doing alternating DB OHP and only doing one side at a time. Picked good weights -- I just started trying to get 5 reps using 35 and had done three or four sets of five with 32.5 but I figured I'd be tired after laddering up.

Deadlifts (small plate deficit)

1x5 @85

3x5 @135

Back-off sets go here. Using about 75% of my 1RM which seems about right.

Length of the workout seems good -- not sure if I started a little earlier than usual or not but I finished a bit earlier than usual. Hopefully this will be true of the other workouts too. Not sure how the ones with the five sets of ten pistols will work out since I'm not good at them yet, but I'll do what I can and work on improving.

Lat side/front raises

2x10 @5

Forgot that I threw a couple sets of these in at the end. This may go under 'extra assistance exercises I shouldn't be doing on lifting days' but the program does have rotator cuff work on days where you do stretching and light cardio as well as things like curls and leg raises. (...I'm thinking of skipping the curls, unless I do reverse wrist curls to work on the other side of my forearms that climbing doesn't use. I don't think that's what the program means by curls but those are more useful to me than the bicep kind.)

Does anyone know of a reason I shouldn't do these on lifting days? (I mean, I'm generally planning on doing things on the days that the program says to do them and not to do them on the days that it doesn't say to do them but if I'm ever short on time it might be nice to move things around.)