Devyn's First Challenge In Which She Will Kick Serious Butt

Devyn

I'm Devyn the Kender Assassin....I chose assassin because I get bored very easily doing regular exercises (no thank you CrossFit) and I'd rather be jumping off of walls and tumbling and all that wicked cool fast stuff. I chose kender because I'm small (though overweight), I get bored easily and I can be super annoying. I came here because I love RPGs and I want to get fit. I was thinking a few months ago that life should be like a game where you can level up but I couldn't really figure it out well enough. Then I find this place and it's like online D&D except I eat fewer Cheetos!

I am super excited about this and the articles at NF are so very inspiring. I always wanted to do Parkour but I never thought I could do that kind of thing. But damn it, I can if I just remember that I have to start by killing rats. My focus right now will be on strength and speed because I lack those very essential things for parkour. So here are my goals:

1. Finish the Couch to 5k program I'm doing. I'm on week 4 so it fits in perfectly with the 6 week challenge. (STA +2, STR +1)

2. Do the 100 Push Up challenge. I can only do 1 right now, but by the end of the 6 weeks I should be up to about 20. (STR +4)

3. Do sprints and increase my time/speed each week. I will start with a set distance and then increase my time to reach that distance over the course of the 6 weeks. (DEX +4, STA +1)

4. Substitute boring, refined carbs (sugar, flour) for fun, natural carbs (vegetables, fruit, whole grains). I will start by doing this 1 day a week and then increasing 1 day each week until I am up to 6 days a week. (WIS +1, CHA +2)

I'm hoping this will give me STR +5, Dex, +4, STA +3, WIS +1, CHA +2

On top of this, I will be doing bodyweight exercises 3X per week. I didn't add those to goals since it's something I have been doing for months now.

I cannot wait for this! I'm so excited to have the focus I have needed for so long and a goal that I have clearly in my mind! Let the games begin!

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

Moving, pushing, and sprinting. These are all good things. The diet looks good too, and you won't believe how sweet veggies taste once you get used to the lack of boring carbs.

I signed up in the mentorship thing and it looks like I'm your mentor... so. I am here to serve. If you have any questions or if you need any advice, lemme know. I will, of course, be cheering you on in your thread as well!

Good luck!

Sounds like you have your plan set out :D

Good luck this challenge!!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

AH! F$#K! KILL THE KENDER! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

*ahem* Sorry. I've played D&D.

Remember that whole grains are not a free pass to eat a ton of breads. It's better than refined grains, but it's still grains.

You should consider assigning your stat gains to individual goals.

Anyway, with Kishi cheering you on, you'll kick ass. He was my biggest supporter last challenge, so you're in good hands.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Thanks everyone for the words of kindness and support! I can't wait to get started. I already have my fitness clothes on for my run today.

Thank you to Kishi! I look forward to your mentorship through my first challenge.

RealBrickWall - Watch it! I'm a kender ASSASSIN! Yeah, I get that reaction a lot though. I'm a kenderphile and have been for 17 years. I've never been a big bread eater, so this won't be a problem. I included flour in the refined carbs so if the bread has flour, I won't eat it on those days I selected. My biggest issue is usually with pasta and sweets.

XP 1700

I was so proud of myself the day I finished the C25K! It's such a great program! Love your goals and can't wait to cheer for you!

Amazon Warrior

Stronglifts 5x5 Progress:

Started 7/29/13

Starting Squat Weight: 45         Current Squat Weight: 75 (staying here while working on form)

Starting Bench Weight: 45        Current Bench Weight: 65

Starting Row Weight: 65           Current Row Weight: 85

Starting OHP Weight: 45           Current OHP Weight: 55

Starting DL Weight: 65              Current DL Weight: 105

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post these here, but I'm going to anyway because it seems fitting. I have no fear but I do like to see change so I'm putting up some photos of me. No, sadly that avatar is not me. But that's my level 50... And these photos are my level 1 before. I had to make do with doing it in my dirty mirror so ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6228[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6229[/ATTACH]

Today I have already completed my workout (C25K 4.1) and so far, no slips into the world of refined carbs!

post-11239-13567245387744_thumb.jpg

post-11239-13567245387831_thumb.jpg

XP 1700

Great start Devyn! I'm very excited to see your journey! :)

I have to agree with Kishi on the "veggies taste sweet" thing. I'm constantly amazed by how much better everything taste now that I've switched my diet up dramatically. I actually look forward to eating things like asparagus and spaghetti squash now...which is a long way from my bags upon bags of doritos and bbq chips.

Best of luck in your challenge! Stay Positive!

Fortune Find You!

~ Fear

Fear, level 3 Blade Runner AssassinSTR 5|DEX 6|STA 6|CON 4|WIS 7|CHA 5

You're absolutely correct on posting pictures :) don't worry about that! It's a great way to see progress! (I should make my own)

And nice workout! sounds like you're off to a great start!

Spoiler

Thank you, everyone for your kind words of motivation!

I've decided I'm going to update every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday...unless I do something particularly awesome.

Yesterday I completed my workout challenge and I did great not eating refined carbs (no flour or processed sugar). I did help myself to extra dinner (spaghetti squash with lentils and vegetables) but I skipped dessert, so I feel good about it.

Today I kicked total butt! Sprints were a lot harder than I thought they would be, but I finished them. Toward the end, my body just said "no more" but I pushed through even though I was going super slow. The push ups were easier than I thought. I went from being able to do 1 last time to doing a total of 19 (7 in a row at one point!) I also did all of my bodyweight exercises and I am exhausted and I feel like a noodle. I made myself a high protein strawberry/banana/fage smoothie for recovery. I am so going to feel this tomorrow.

If I can keep up this strength and motivation, I will kick this challenge in the face!

XP 1700

drsloomis, I know what you mean. I wish I had taken some 30lbs ago so I could see how far I've come already. Right now I'm settling for that great feeling when I put my hands on my waist and my hands are several inches closer together than they were a few months back.

I love your avatar btw. I feel like that so often.

XP 1700

Subscribing to this thread because it's going to be so inspirational to see the major improvements in your life that you're going to make!

Amazon Warrior

Stronglifts 5x5 Progress:

Started 7/29/13

Starting Squat Weight: 45         Current Squat Weight: 75 (staying here while working on form)

Starting Bench Weight: 45        Current Bench Weight: 65

Starting Row Weight: 65           Current Row Weight: 85

Starting OHP Weight: 45           Current OHP Weight: 55

Starting DL Weight: 65              Current DL Weight: 105

PitBull_Liz, now I HAVE to do it if you're watching me. :cool-new: I didn't know you could subscribe to threads. Going to have to go back and do that now.

Kishi, please tell me more about this. I feel I've eaten well and I do get 7-8 hours of sleep most nights and I usually still feel pretty sore the next day.

XP 1700

Thank you, everyone for your kind words of motivation!

I've decided I'm going to update every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday...unless I do something particularly awesome.

Yesterday I completed my workout challenge and I did great not eating refined carbs (no flour or processed sugar). I did help myself to extra dinner (spaghetti squash with lentils and vegetables) but I skipped dessert, so I feel good about it.

Today I kicked total butt! Sprints were a lot harder than I thought they would be, but I finished them. Toward the end, my body just said "no more" but I pushed through even though I was going super slow. The push ups were easier than I thought. I went from being able to do 1 last time to doing a total of 19 (7 in a row at one point!) I also did all of my bodyweight exercises and I am exhausted and I feel like a noodle. I made myself a high protein strawberry/banana/fage smoothie for recovery. I am so going to feel this tomorrow.

If I can keep up this strength and motivation, I will kick this challenge in the face!

Great job doing those sprints!! :)

You have a very inspirational attitude :D

Spoiler

Honestly, to avoid soreness, you should be stretching. Not just after workouts. Stretching every day will reduce your muscle soreness. Heck, once I started doing yoga daily, I never had issues being sore the day after.

^_ This

Stretching helped me a lot before, I used to skip stretching but not any more! It's definitely an important part of any of my workout. But, you know what's the worse? Soon you won't feel sore at all any more and you will really miss that feeling. Or maybe that's just me and I'm a masochist :D

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines