Livingroovy's Build Habits & Kick @$$ Til Year End Challenge!

livingroovy

For real y'all. My momentum has been so high the past few months that I can't wait to see what the rest of the year produces. Crazy to think there are only 7 weeks left of 2012. So it's time to KICK SOME MAJOR BUTT!

That being said, with so much going on all the freaking time in my life, sometimes I get a tad overwhelmed (understatement) and a lot of times I feel like I just don't have enough time. My productivity goes in cycles of awesome and really not awesome (understandable), and I would like to put some systems in place to allow me to feel energized, to re-charge, and to have some consistency day to day even when my schedule is constantly changing. Well, to be fair, I have a lot of great systems. But I want to be even MORE awesome. :D

At the start of 2013 I want to have several solid rituals and routines in place so that I can cultivate them throughout the year/my life.

A couple of those include:

• Daily Morning Ritual: 15 min walk/run, 10 min meditation, write 100+ words, make & eat breakfast (do all this before checking email, working, etc.)
  • Daily Home Yoga Practice
  • Go Upside Down Every Day
  • Daily Pre-Sleep Ritual: 15 min restorative yoga, 10 min meditation, 20 min writing or reading time

Now, I have major tendencies toward 'all-or-nothing', but I know that that isn't the most conducive way to build habits and make major changes. What I need are tiny build-ups over time and accountability consistently. All of my goals are based around working toward these daily rituals-- as far as 'impressiveness' of goals go, this challenge may seem pretty mellow, but if I actually do all of these things every single day for 6 weeks, trust me for my own self right now that is far more impressive than doing anything crazy!

And, without further ado, my challenge!

Starting Stats:

No measurements as of now... my connection to a body composition analyzer went away. I'm going to figure out how to get that back at the end of the challenge though.

Level 4 Timelord Druid

[sTR] - 13.3 // [DEX] - 8.25 // [sTA] - 12 // [CON] - 13 // [WIS] - 14.55 // [CHA] - 11.6

Challenge Goals:

Yoga & Fitness

1. 1 Minute of Handstands Every Single Day. // +2[sTR] +2[sTA]

I want to go upside down every single day. Therefore, I will do 60 seconds of handstands every day. I can definitely fit in a minute. No excuses!

A=40+ Days, B=35-39 Days, C=30-34 Days, D=25-29 Days, F=24 or less Days

2. 10+ Minutes of Yoga AT HOME Every Single Day. // +4[DEX]

Going to a yoga class doesn't count. Whether I am doing sun salutations, restorative, practicing an arm balance, whatever-- my mat is set up all the time on my floor now (thanks last challenge!) so I have no reason not to do 10 minutes of yoga at some point in my day.

Life

3. 10 Minutes of Meditation Every Single Day. // +2[WIS] +2[CHA]

Meditation is yoga, so this goal could be in both categories, but I will put it under life because really fitness and life are sort of the same to me right now. Also, I have a feeling I will be much more focused and less stressed in general from meditating. When I have a clear head and have practiced mindfulness, I am much more inclined toward 'right action' -- aka eating right, getting enough sleep, and bringing full mental/physical intensity to each workout.

4. Work Done/Computer Off 30+ Minutes Before Sleep. // +2[CON] +1[CHA]

Now that I have f.lux I don't mind using my computer right before sleep, but if I'm using it I want to be doing writing, not working. My hope is that if computer is done 30 minutes before I plan to go to sleep, I will start using that time to do gentle yoga, meditate, read, etc.

Strategy

Mediation:

Good news is I've already been getting up earlier every day to do the Morning Mile Challenge. So that's awesome. I am going to get my meditation in right away after that walk. (If I have a 6am workout planned...meditation will probably happen afterward.)

Handstands & Yoga:

I do a lot of work sitting at my computer, and take regular breaks. 2 of those breaks are going to now become 'Handstand Break' and 'Yoga Break'.

Work done 30+ minutes before sleep:

Simple (if not easy)-- Know my planned bed time. Whatever I don't have done half hour before that will have to wait until the morning. I will need to be more mindful of deadlines and procrastination, but that's okay. Got it.

That's all for now! This is going to be really good.

PS: I decided that due to my craziness, I will be doing weekly check-ins on everyone's challenges. I want to be able to keep up with everyone, but if I try every day I will get out of control!! Love you all-- if you have any questions about the challenges, about yoga, about life, etc... and want a faster response, PM me and I'll get back to you!!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

These look like great goals and achievable too!

Work done/computer off 30+ minutes before bed is a great idea! :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Oh, nice! I wish I could do a handstand... one day. Until then, I'm just gonna cheer you on while you do yours! Also, I approve of your computer off before bed goal. I try to turn mine off at midnight, no ifs, ands, or buts. I fail sometimes, but overall it HAS helped me to go to bed easier.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2qmfbys.jpg[/sIGPIC]

SpazzyMal, level 1 Faun Druid

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

[/TABLE]

Great goals. I love how they are focused on making real, simple lifestyle changes, and not just adding a specific activity or deleting a destructive habit. Best of luck to you.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

The goals are great themselves, plus I'm a fan of easy grading. Not least, the clearly defined chunks of time remind me to stay out of that all-or-nothing thinking trap where it must be 1 continuous hour of yoga, or nothing.... I'll copy off of, I mean, incorporate these types of ideas next challenge.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

These look like great goals and achievable too!

Work done/computer off 30+ minutes before bed is a great idea! :)

Thank you! That's going to be a tough one for me... but since my days are so packed a good night's sleep is essential!!!

Awesome.

These are great habits. I noted them for the future.

Actually the pose on your new pic looks pretty cruel to me. Impressive!

haha thanks :) I figure I can always work on challenge poses and 'doing crazy shit'. But without the basic healthy habits and consistency, what's the point? :)

great goals!! subbed!

<3

Oh, nice! I wish I could do a handstand... one day. Until then, I'm just gonna cheer you on while you do yours! Also, I approve of your computer off before bed goal. I try to turn mine off at midnight, no ifs, ands, or buts. I fail sometimes, but overall it HAS helped me to go to bed easier.

Someday!! A year ago when I joined NF I couldnot-wouldnot do a handstand. My first ever goal was to get over my fear and figure out how to kick up into a handstand. Then about 6 months later I did a 3 minute against the wall handstand goal. And now I'm doing them every day. It's so fun to commit to it and see what happens!!

I've been stalking your previous challenges and I can't wait to see how this one goes! I know you'll rock it!

A stalker?? Me?? So flattered. :)

"Go Upside Down Every Day"

Best goal ever.

Naturally! I knew you would approve.

Great goals. I love how they are focused on making real, simple lifestyle changes, and not just adding a specific activity or deleting a destructive habit. Best of luck to you.

Thanks Erick!!

The goals are great themselves, plus I'm a fan of easy grading. Not least, the clearly defined chunks of time remind me to stay out of that all-or-nothing thinking trap where it must be 1 continuous hour of yoga, or nothing.... I'll copy off of, I mean, incorporate these types of ideas next challenge.

lol copy away-- ever read the book Steal Like an Artist? I'm a big advocate of it. :)

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Day 1: Report

[table=width: 500, class: outer_border, align: left]

Handstands

Yes

1/1

Home Yoga

Yes

1/1

Meditation

Yes

1/1

Computer off

Yes

1/1

[/table]

Someday!! A year ago when I joined NF I couldnot-wouldnot do a handstand. My first ever goal was to get over my fear and figure out how to kick up into a handstand. Then about 6 months later I did a 3 minute against the wall handstand goal. And now I'm doing them every day. It's so fun to commit to it and see what happens!!

That's already amazing, great job!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2qmfbys.jpg[/sIGPIC]

SpazzyMal, level 1 Faun Druid

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

[/TABLE]

Go you!

:D

I spent a minute upside down today. This is what you do to people!

Great challenge! :)

Excellent. Slowly but surely you will all become my joyful playful handstand doing minions. The world is going to be AWESOME.

Another great challenge, I can feel it! :)

Thank you sir!!

Awesome! I love that you can take computer breaks to do handstands.... sadly I don't think that would go over well at my work.

-jj

You should probably try it and then report back... haha this is why I don't work in an office. I wouldn't last.

Hey there! Just tuning in to see how you Druids roll. Conclusion: awesomely.

subbed.

Always. :)

These look like great goals! I love the one about having the computer off 30 minutes before bed, that's something I need to work on myself. Good luck!

Thanks!! It's going to be tough but I will make it happen.

Just so everyone knows... I've been doing handstands whenever I feel tired or unproductive all morning and it. is. AWESOME. I feel like a baller. Probz cuz I am.

That is all.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines