Spider's Third Challenge: The Next Phase

Spider

(shhh...don't tell! I'm up late because tomorrow's a holiday off from school. But did anyone else notice that we Druids have a lot of sleep goals this time?!)

Spider's Third Challenge: The Next Phase

Goal 1: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! BBWWO 3x a week

Goal 2: test new limits: 1 bike ride a week + 1 walk a week + 1 yoga a week

Goal 3: go big or go home: low carb/primal eating Monday through Friday

Goal 4: self-improvement: public & private

G1: +2 str * I'm not giving it as many points this time because I've been doing it a while. *I've yet to score a 100% on this one yet, so I'm still on it.

G2: +1 sta; +1 dex I've got my bike helmet and a 1 mile route nearby. Longer would be better, but I want to see if this will "take" for me before I buy a rack for my car. I can walk the same route, too, and yoga for continuing dexterity.

G3: +2con I've been reading up on doing Weight Watchers in conjunction with paleo/primal eating, and I know I've been wanting to try it. I'm not ready for the full withdrawal, though, especially due to work and the holidays, so I'm qualifying it a) low carb/primal and B) as Monday-Friday. (If going out on Friday night, I can either order primal or trade it for a meal the next day. That doesn't happen that much; usually I go out on Saturdays, due to the whole work-fatigue thing.)

G4: +2 wis; +1 cha Self-Improvement

A) Public Self-Improvement: 2x a week, create a file (.doc, .ppt, or SmartBoard) that goes with the lessons my students are learning & upload it to the class website. Gods know, I spend plenty of time at school, but if they get better grades, we'll all be satisfied and that makes it worth it. Plus, it builds more material for next year.

B) Private Self-Improvement: Sleep all the sleeps. I am really bad about getting to bed on time. I have an alarm for it in my phone, and it still doesn't always happen! This is pass or fail. Either I'm in bed before 10:30pm (sun-thurs nights), or I'm not.

8178046691_0c86ae8773_m.jpg

Before NF challenge 2 by Spidersweb, on Flickr 8178048093_806d6f007f_m.jpg

Before NF challenge 3 by Spidersweb, on Flickr

Spider

Hedgewitch Druid, Level 3

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 5.5 | CON 4 | WIS 8 | CHA 6

Just Ended Challenge: Spider Goes Back to School

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

Great goals, Spider! Congrats on the primal eating challenge-- you've totally got this! Sleep is a huge thing... especially during the holidays! Looking forward to cheering you on!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Hello Spider! I like your goal #2. I bought a bike not too long ago and I love it, though I don't seem to get to use it as much as I had originally planned... all the same, I hope you fall in love with it too! And good luck on everything else!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2qmfbys.jpg[/sIGPIC]

SpazzyMal, level 1 Faun Druid

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

[/TABLE]

Danke! I have the day off today (and I am not trying to downplay veterans' day at all, because I have usually worked it into my lesson plans, but this is the first time in eleven years of teaching that I've had the day off!), so that's made day one a bit easy.

Today, I'll get a 2 mile walk done-- I'm heading over to my folk's to walk their rocket beagle. Mom and I are headed to Costco after her work so I can use her membership to pickup some of those 5lb frozen bags of green beans and broccoli. I'm hoping to find cauliflower, too.

I slept late, so I had a smaller breakfast: an egg and bacon. Lunch is going to be a spinach souffle (let's call it spinach pie) made from spinach, egg, tbsp of pesto, salt, pepper, and pepperonis & grape tomatoes. I'm not giving up dairy, because I have a tremendous belief in the probiotics and natural laxative properties of fermented/cultured dairy, especially in the face of increasing fiber from vegetables. :D So, i have a yogurt. I also have some trail mix for a snack. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to have for dinner. I've got things I can make here, or I might find something at Costco.

Spider

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

I like them because they have a little bite to them, a bit of spice, if you will.

Tonight, after Costco (which was annoying and maybe not that great a deal, but it will certainly hold me for a while: 5 lbs green beans, 4lbs broccoli, 5 lbs carrots, 3lbs cucumber, some baby bell peppers, lots of tuna and some chicken-apple sausages)...

I took a large can of tuna (7oz drained gives you 3/4 cup tuna) mixed with a 100-cal pack of wholly guacamole, and roasted bell peppers. On the side, carrots and cukes and light ranch dip. For dessert, I found freeze-dried WHOLE strawberries dipped in yogurt (probiotics included). Serving size is 4 of them, and I enjoyed every bit!

Spider

Costco's Rotisserie chicken plus a veggie side or salad has been our dinner many an evening since we started cutting out grains. Their crab and lobster dips are really good in an avocado, too. They're quite rich - a tablespoon or two plus the avocado is *very* satisfying. And I am so with you on not giving up dairy ;-).

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Dairy & fruit do have sugar, so I'm not doing a sugar free primal, but I can totally live with that. Now let's see what happens at the end of the week when my body wants to sleep all the time. Or, at least that's how I read the info out there on the Internet.

Spider

Day 1:

B: 1 egg w. bacon

L: spinach pie, chobani yogurt, apple

S: trail mix

D: tuna w/ guacamole & roasted peppers, carrots & cuke w/ light ranch dip

S: 4 large freeze dried strawberries dipped in yogurt

E: 2mi walk with rocket beagle (probably a 3.0 - 3.5 mph pace; if you don't slow down, she doesn't stop to smell things, so I don't stop, either!)

Day 2:

B: whey protein w/ almond milk

L: chicken breast tenderloin w/ 0.5 bacon & acorn squash, chobani yogurt, apple

D: Chicken apple sausage w/ peppers and onions, carrots & cukes with light ranch dip

S: 2 squares dark chocolate w/ cranberries & almonds

E: BBWWO

Spider

Oh, I forgot to add my Sleeps! I did make it into bed by 10:29 (I've set a bedtime for myself of 10:30), lights out and all, but I didn't sleep so hot last night. I do get insomnia from time to time, and last night was one of those where is slept in bouts and fits. But, I still count that as a win. I'll make sure to add my sleeps in the future! :D

Spider

I'm admiring both of your goals (Beginners Body Weight Work Out looks most astonishing wonderful, I'm keeping in mind for challenge post-holiday) and of your guts in putting up body shots. Maybe one day soon I could get that brave.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Looks like you're off to a great start! I see you have a beagle, we do, too. Moneypenny is a terrible walking partner, though, she has to smell everything!! Glad your walking partner has better sense.

Level 1 Druid
STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2
Garg 'nuair dhùisgear

Looks like you're off to a great start! I see you have a beagle, we do, too. Moneypenny is a terrible walking partner, though, she has to smell everything!! Glad your walking partner has better sense.

Gudrun the Far-Travelled, aka Rocket Beagle, is not mine, but my parents'. She's a rescue, found about a year ago, starved, underweight, with worms, and having been hit by a car at some point during her homelessness. Now, she's 22 pounds, healthy, still a bit neurotic about love and food, but happy. When I have a day off, I'll go over there and walk her so my mom doesn't have to race home from work.

Spider

I'm admiring both of your goals (Beginners Body Weight Work Out looks most astonishing wonderful, I'm keeping in mind for challenge post-holiday) and of your guts in putting up body shots. Maybe one day soon I could get that brave.

Guts is the key word there. :hopelessness: I'm non too thrilled about putting my pale white torso up there, but I think that it helps with motivation.

Spider

Day 2:

S: 4 freezedried strawberries, dipped in yogurt

D: Lettuce Wrap! w/ Chicken apple sausage w/ peppers and onions, carrots & cukes with light ranch dip

S: 2 squares dark chocolate w/ cranberries & almonds

U: Uploaded the SmartBoard file of our annotated Translation

Sleep: in nick of time; slept so-so

Day 3:

S: celery and 1 tbsp almond butter

D: probably another lettuce wrap with chicken sausage, peppers, & onions, but I also have to make some stuffed portabello mushrooms for this week. Ground lamb + spinach + feta + diced peppers + + roasted garlic + egg as binder

S: 2 squares of dark chocolate OR 4 freezedried strawberries, dipped in yogurt

E: not sure yet

U: uploaded another page of annotated translation notes, & powerpoint on Degrees of Adverbs

Sleep: ...

Spider

Hey Spider, great week so far! You are doing a great job with food. I'm curious to hear if the sleeps have hit you yet... I've never done paleo or primal (that non-meat-eating thing sort of gets in the way!!) but I've noticed when I make changes to my diet all the icky stuff coming out made me so sleepy! And I'm impressed you can stick to 2 squares of dark chocolate... I always find myself a whole chocolate bar later wondering what happened!! :) Hope the weekend is going well so far.

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

I need to post and update with the later part of the week, but I did have a nap that turned into a 2hr nap yesterday!

I bought Endagered Species brand chocolate squares (they're about Ghriradelli-sized) in 72% w/ cranberries & almonds. Prepackaged makes it easier to control.

Now, it is Saturday now, so I allowed ham & biscuits this morning at the regional Latin competition. However, I skipped lunch to see Skyfall with a friend, and am having chicken soup and hard cider for dinner. The cider SO has carbs, but I am grain-free for dinner!

Spider

Day 3:

S: smoked chicken sausage

D: probably another lettuce wrap with chicken sausage, peppers, & onions

S: 2 squares of dark chocolate AND 4 freezedried strawberries, dipped in yogurt (rough day)

E: did not happen Wednesday

U: uploaded another page of annotated translation notes, & powerpoint on Degrees of Adverbs

Sleep: two minutes late! FAIL!

Day 4:

S: 4 freeze dried strawberries, dipped in yogurt

D: 6 celery ribs stuffed with almond butter and whipped cream cheese

S: 2 squares of dark chocolate

Sleep: nick of time

Day 5:

S: 4 freeze dried strawberries, dipped in yogurt

L: tomato-chicken soup (PTA brought teachers lunch), chobani yogurt, apple

D: JimmyJohns Unwich with roast beef, lettuce, tomato, & provolone

E: none

Sleep: only applies Sun-Thurs, but I was in bed "on time" because there was a Latin student competition the next day

Saturday & Sunday: free days

Sat- I had a doughnut at the Latin competition (in the teacher/chaperone room), and a mini ham biscuit a bit later (same event). I skipped a precise lunch and went to see Skyfall (Daniel Craig's pants might rank up there with David Bowie's area*), and had chicken gumbo and hard cider for dinner.

No exercise, because I got up at 6am and didn't get home until nearly 5pm.

Sun- I had a primal breakfast of smoked salmon & whipped cream cheese on romaine lettuce leaves, with a hardboiled egg. Lunch is a stuffed mushroom cap and a pair of wheat-oat biscuits (I made 1/4 of a recipe from scratch). I don't know what my parents are making for dinner tonight (I get a Sunday meal 2-3 times a month!), but I may go primal there, or not, depending on what it is.

I did my bike ride AND my yoga today, squeaking it under the wire. I don't know if I can bring myself to bbwwo today TOO, so I may only end up 2 out of 3 on that.

Spider

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines