Spider's Third Challenge: The Next Phase

Spider

Thank you! Last night I avoided the rice, but I did have a handful of goldfish crackers. I'm hoping, though, to keep my "free days" to being just accented with grain, not loaded with them.

I went to bed three minutes early!

Today, I had:

B: whey protein w/ almond milk

S: 1 Tb almond butter & 1tb dark choc chips

L: chicken breast tenderloin w/ 0.5 bacon & acorn squash, chobani yogurt, apple

S: hardboiled egg & carrots with light ranch dip

D: lamb-stuffed portobello mushroom & tofu shirataki noodles

S: 2 squares of dark chocolate

E:

Sleep:

Spider

Hedgewitch Druid, Level 3

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 5.5 | CON 4 | WIS 8 | CHA 6

Just Ended Challenge: Spider Goes Back to School

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

Looks like a great first week - you have so got this eating Paleo nailed, I love your food!!

You know- I put all my paleo/primal into my weight watchers log, and it IS possible to eat within the points system & do this. I only needed 4-5 weekly points over my daily target, and I didnt use that every day.

Spider

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

Okay-- minor fail? The students just brought me a plate of things they made in chemistry class and I did eat 1 potsticker and 1 2"x2' square of baked something (it was sort of sweet, sort of savory-- I'm not really sure what it was). I gave the rest away.

Can I still mark today as a 0.5 out of 1?!

Spider

Goal 1: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! BBWWO 3x a week

Goal 2: test new limits: 1 bike ride a week + 1 walk a week + 1 yoga a week

Goal 3: go big or go home: low carb/primal eating Monday through Friday

Goal 4: self-improvement: public & private

Check-In:

1. 2 out of 3x

2. 3 out of 3x

3. 5 out of 5x

4a. uploaded 4 things (over the 2 out of 2x goal)

4b. in bed on time 4 out of 5x

Total:

1. 2 out of 3x

2. 3 out of 3x

3. 5 out of 5x

4a. 2 out of 2x

Spider

Day 10: 11/19

S: Paleo Fail- I had a pot sticker & half a baked thing

L: 2oz. Smoked salmon, 1tb whipped cream cheese, hardboiled egg, celery, roasted green beans, chobani yogurt, apple

S: carrots with light ranch

D: salmon, cream cheese lettuce wrap & cup of soup

E: BBWWO

Sleep: on time!

Day 11: 11/21

B: roasted green beans & onions, poached egg, bacon

L: smoked salmon, cream cheese, hardboiled egg & carrot sticks

S: chobani yogurt

D: lamb-stuffed Portabello mushroom with cheese, a sweet potato cut into oven "fries," and 1 cider

S: 4 squares of dark chocolate

E: walk to the post office with package & back (without)

Sleep:

Spider

Day 12: 11/22

B: hardboiled egg, apple, 1/4 cup dried cranberries

S: olives, three cashews, various veggies with ful fat dip (@ aunts house), prob 6 cocktail shrimp

L: turkey breast, brussels sprouts, green beans w/ onions & bacon, oven roasted broccoli & cauliflour

S: Edy's ice cream

D: 1/2 baked sweet potato with chili spice, 1tb cream cheese & 2 tb almond butter

S: diet dr pepper on drive back (2.5 hurs each way)

E: none

Sleep: an hour early

Day 13: 11/23

B: egg white omelette with 1/4 cup cheese, 1 tb mini-pepperoni, & tomato purée

L: quick soup (turkey leg bone with dark meat, simmered with carrots, onions, celery, then bone removed, and leftover veggies added in)

S: chobani yogurt

D:

S:

E: yoga + BBWWO

Sleep:

Spider

Who could turn down chem lab cooking? One pot-sticker and half a something was just being polite. Technically not paleo, but still...

Word! I got a headache after, but I seriously doubt it was from the pasta wrapper. I'm hiking it's more likely that it was the MSG or the fact that it was 67 degrees out and they were running the heat at school.

I've had to deal with cravings yesterday and today. Oddly not for the mashed potatoes, but for bread. :)

Spider

I'm liking it, and I'm finding it's easy to stick with the plan when I know that Saturday and Sunday are my 20% in the 80/20 ideal. For example, today, I'm having pizza for lunch. It's thin crust which has less gluten than the regular or thick (although that's just by virtue of it being less dough & rolled thin), and loaded with veggies.

And then I'll eat paleo for dinner. Probably tuna with peppers and guacamole again. Last night I baked off some cubed sweet potatoes (in advance) with chili lime seasoning to go with it.

Spider

Enjoyed my pizza yesterday. Did a lettuce wrap for dinner, because I didn't feel like mixing anything up after making holiday cookies all afternoon! After I posted yesterday, had lunch, bought groceries, and raked leaves, I got to it. I make drop cookies every year, because they're easily made, scooped out, & frozen. I made 42 butter pecan cookies, 42 oatmeal-dark chocolate chip-cranberry cookies, and 28 gingersnaps. They're all sitting in my freezer now, waiting for me to bake them and out them in priority mail flat-rate boxes.

Going all paleo today except for dessert tonight: pear-cranberry-frangipane tart. Noms.

This morning I had egg whites and bacon, and some paleo bread. (Our local whole foods just started carrying it.) I was majorly underwhelmed. It has some potential as a breadcrumb source, and it's super expensive, so I'm not going to throw it out. For lunch I had half a purple sweet potato with a tb of cream cheese and 2 ounces of smoked salmon.

For lunch this week, I'm having aidells chicken apple sausages with peppers, onions, & green beans.

1 lb green beans, 2 diced bell peppers, 1/2 cup chopped onions, mixed with 2tbs olive oil & 2 tbs stoneground mustard

Sliced the sausages lengthwise and laid them out over the veggies and baked for about an hour.

This week's mid morning snack is a primal version of ants on a log:

3 tbs of almond butter mixed with 2 tbs of cream cheese, spread on celery, & topped with dried cranberries.

Spider

Day 15:

S: primal ants on a log

L: 1 aidells chicken sausage w/ green beans, chobani yogurt, apple

S: half sweet potato with 1 Tb almond butter

D: tuna, 100-cal pack guacamole, hardboliled egg, carrots w/ spinach artichoke dip (mixed in some cream cheese)

E:BBWWO

Sleep: 12 minutes early!

Spider

Week 1:

1. 2 out of 3x

2. 3 out of 3x

3. 5 out of 5x

Check-In:

1. 2 out of 3x

2. 2 out of 3x

3. 4.5 out of 5x

4a. uploaded 2 things (over the 2 out of 2x goal)

Total:

1. 4 out of 6x

2. 5 out of 6x

3. 5 out of 5x

4a. 2 out of 2x

4b. in bed on time 8 out of 10x

Spider

I finally found time to check in today. Nice goals! And looks like you are doing well too!

Funny how so many of us are working on the "sleeps". How is it going for you? I really struggle getting to bed on time. Once there I seem to sleep like a rock... until one of my girls or my bladder wakes me up. ;)

Is any of the goals you set becoming a habit for you?

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

The eating is the easiest, though I find today I'm full of the hungries (a phase? Time of year?). As for the sleeps, we'll see. I wish I could stay up and sleep in. Even after teaching 11 years, my body still wants a 1am to 9am sleep shift.

Spider

Well, some dark chocolate raisinets happened yesterday and today. I am in an "Eat ALL the THINGS" place right now. I have my suspicions as to why. I'm just counting my lucky stars there was something even remotely paleo in the school's vending machine. I have some 82% dark chocolate (thank you, Target sale) and some dried figs, so I'm thinking I might make some dipped figs to deal with the extra hunger.

Spider

Will have to pose an update tomorrow-- crrrrrazy day at work today, plus 8 days to exams, and counting!

Used up last dab of gift card to have chicken fresca (grilled chicken w/ veggies and pico de gallo) & chicken tortilla soup (no rice or chips, but yes cheese & avocado) from On the Border for dinner. Didn't want to cook, since I have to bake a fruitcake tonight.

No, no, not that fruitcake that's been going around since 1972. And not that one that's being used as a doorstop in your office. A proper one, made with walnuts, crystallized ginger, lemon peel, and brandy-soaked cherries (from making cherry cordial this summer). And I'm actually late on making it, because you have to let it age and then brush it with a brandy-laced simple syrup every week until Xmas.

Spider

Looking forward to your update!

How are the sleeps going?

How did the baking go? Last year we left making the fruit cake until quite late. This year it got done in October. We have 2 proper fruit cakes aging in the cellar and a pudding - husband made them. One of the cakes will probably get consumed in the next week or so... we have to test to see if the other will taste good. The others will wait till Christmas, when they will be consumed with brandy/custard sauce or something like that. Can't wait! ;)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%
Looking forward to your update!

How are the sleeps going?

How did the baking go? Last year we left making the fruit cake until quite late. This year it got done in October. We have 2 proper fruit cakes aging in the cellar and a pudding - husband made them. One of the cakes will probably get consumed in the next week or so... we have to test to see if the other will taste good. The others will wait till Christmas, when they will be consumed with brandy/custard sauce or something like that. Can't wait! ;)

The sleeps are not going well. :( I slept horribly Sunday night to Monday morning-- weather change, I think, so even though I got to bed on time, I still felt horrid. Last night, I was 5 minutes late. Boo!

The cake smells awesome, so we'll see if it comes out okay! I got one Bundkuchen-shaped cake and 3 mini cakes (gifts for coworkers). I used about 3/4 of the brandy syrup last night, and reserved the rest for brushing it once a week until the 25th! I think this is where fruitcake gets a bad reputation-- too much candied fruit, not enough dried fruit, and not enough flour/butter/sugar. The recipe I use is butter, sugar, eggs, flour, buttermilk, etc. So it's somewhere between poundcake and fruitcake.

Spider

Check-In 3

Week 1:

1. 2 out of 3x

2. 3 out of 3x

3. 5 out of 5x

Week 2:

1. 2 out of 3x

2. 2 out of 3x

3. 4.5 out of 5x

4a. uploaded 2 things (over the 2 out of 2x goal)

Check-In:

1. 3 out of 3x

2. 1 out of 3x NOT GOOD--

3. 5 out of 5x

4a. uploaded 2 things (over the 2 out of 2x goal) - Uploaded chapter review notes in prep for their exams.

4b. in bed on time 3 out of 5x

Total:

1. 7 out of 9x

2. 6 out of 9x

3. 14.5 out of 15x

4a. 6 out of 6x

4b. in bed on time 11 out of 15x

Spider

Well, yesterday (Tuesday) is going to have to go down as a Fail. I couldn't figure out what I wanted for dinner last night, and nothing seemed to quiet the "beast." Finally, a piece of the fruitcake crumbs (I cut the cake level before putting it in the cake container to age before xmas). And that did it.

But, an hour later, I felt pretty gross. Not horrible, not sick, but not pleasant, either. I'm thinking I'm going to have a salad tonight. I've been eating a lot of cooked vegetables, because I had burned out on raw ones. Perhaps it's time to switch back.

Spider

But, an hour later, I felt pretty gross. Not horrible, not sick, but not pleasant, either. I'm thinking I'm going to have a salad tonight. I've been eating a lot of cooked vegetables, because I had burned out on raw ones. Perhaps it's time to switch back.

I can sympathise - today I had a wonderful lunch with friends - a bring a plate lunch. The stollen I had was lovely, but I feel gross now!! Maybe just some gently steamed veg would be good?

Elfin Harvester, level 2 Druid monkSTR 6.75|DEX 3|STA 6|CON 5.25|WIS 5|CHA 5

It's so hard to stay on track when there are so many goodies around this time of year! And it's doubly hard when baking gifts. You really do have to do quality checks, and what else do you do with broken cookies? Top it off with the fact that most fresh produce isn't as good this time of year, and it makes for a challenging Challenge. :-/

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines