Final Summary: Rebels, Report!

spezzy

So - how did you do?

Give yourself a grade, and explain why. Be honest. :)

THOSE OF YOU WHO STARTED A FEW DAYS LATE: You can still have your full 28 days. Just post your results when you're done :)

Personally? I'm giving myself a D+. But I know what I did wrong, and why I didn't hit what I wanted to hit, so I know how to fix it for next month.

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?1340-spezzy-s-2011-challenge&p=19118&viewfull=1#post19118

also - next challenge starts jan 31st. keep an eye out for the new challenge thread - coming wednesday :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Report:

-5.8 pounds since 1/3/11

Goal 1: kettlebell snatch --- C. I TRIED!

Goal 2: kettlebell swing --- A+, with an F for bad goal setting.

Goal 3: Drop a pant size --- C. Close, but no cigar.

Goal 4: Veggies --- B. Tried hard in the last several weeks.

Overall goal: B- with a stern warning to be more realistic for my next goals.

I have more details in my post if you'd like them:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?1541-I-am-a-lumbering-Ogre-Warrior-Barbarian!&p=19054#post19054

D-; I tried to change more things than I could handle at once, especially with a new semester/new job changing the time schedule. I'm not where I want to be sleep/water/exercise wise, the only thing that I satisfactorily accomplished was getting set up with my new academic focus. I need to work on setting better defined goals, staring off with smaller goals to work up to the bigger goals, and keeping myself more accountable for those goals.

I had a great challenge, not summiting mountains but I kept up with the game. Half the battle is in fact, showing up so I'm giving myself an average of B+ for my challenge. More details in my post: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?1460-Martinpanduh-s-2011-Ranger-Challenge!

Numbers wise, I'm still hovering around the same weight (204-206) but when I look in the mirror, I feel better about things. My end goal is basically to have a flatter stomach and lose my overall roundness in my midsection and I'm slowly getting there. I'm so psyched for the next challenge! Goodluck and I hope to see everyone there! <3 <3 <3

Cheers.

Half the battle is in fact, showing up

YES I am with you on this, Martin! I give myself an A for this part LOL

I guess my actual average for the challenge was a B - but I am left with a good feeling about it, because it was hard, and I tried hard. I learned a lot about setting goals, so I am better prepared to set some good, achievable goals for the next challenge.

Here is the long version:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?1429-Gem-a-first-challenge&p=19137&viewfull=1#post19137

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

How did I do? Starting with my Goals:

Goal 1 - Get through a workout of the ranger skills Daily. 2 strength, 2 endurance, 1 movement 2 conditioning.

Result: C. I'd go lower, but I discovered halfway through that this was a stupid goal that won't really help me much. I developed a better workout regimen that does help.

Goal 2 - Completely cut out soda and fast food.

Result: A- I had one fast food meal the week i started this because there was a terrible snowstorm and no place else for me to go. I also had some ginger ale that I made myself, but at least I know it was healthy. But apart from those 2 instances, I have stuck to this one like glue.

Goal 3 - Almost unrelated, but My goal is to do these workouts in the morning and get showered for work after. Working out sans shower will make me pretty gross at work.

Result: B. There have only been a few days where I didn't do my workouts early and on those days I did them after work.

Goal 4 - Finish 2 book reviews for the DP so I can be ready to go ASAP this year.

Result: F I just didn't get it done. for half the challenge, I couldn't find my book, but I really didn't dedicate enough time to this.

Total so far: C

Extra Credit: I started eating paleo and doing the primal fitness blueprint and it's really helped me a lot. I'm wililng to give myself a few extra point for that, so I'll call this challenge ...

Total: C+

I'm not thrilled with that, but I have a good idea of how this works and I'll be happy to see the next challenge.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I'll give myself a B.

Goals were: Lose weight

Cardio 5x a week

Pull out under cabinet microwave to see if it can be fixed.

Goal 1 - lost 4.5lbs A++

Cardio 5x a week: did this 3 out of the 4 weeks...the 2nd week I got sick halfway through and only managed 3 sessions. B+

Microwave: DNF

During this challenge, I was dealing with a lot of work craziness as I finally found a new job within the company after being notified my old one was going out of state (and I am not able to relocate anytime in the next couple of years). My schedule was up in the air as I was going to have to travel at some point to train the new people, so I couldn't commit to having a giant gap in the cabinets if I wasn't going to be around. Though I didn't get to the microwave, I did get a lot of things sorted for a garage sale this Spring. The travel ended up being put off, put off, and put off before it was finally cancelled.

I've gone through closets and shelves as I pare down my clothes, computer games, toys, and such. I even pulled out my crate of old Dungeons and Dragons stuff and have sold about a dozen items for $150. The thread is here, if you're interested: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47492

Since I'm planning on trading in my Dodge Magnum next month, I also sold some the LX (Dodge Magnum/Charger and Chrysler 300) diecasts and my Chrome Steel Shifter Knob. All in all, I made $250 in a couple of days. If you're looking for any of that, the thread is here: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=251811

Reinforcing my Nerd cred:

One of the things I pulled out of a closet was my wife's old computer. We had kept it for years because it had on the hard drive a copy of the original source code for the MUD I created (www.carrionfields.com). How old was it? 17 years (486DX). Old enough that the bios battery/power supply had died years ago. So old, in fact, that even once I got the jumpers figured out after lengthy research on the old maxtor HD, and cables to hook it up to an 8-year old Dell, XP couldn't recognize it. I was able to boot into the hard drive, but it couldn't be made a slave drive, and as a master, it couldn't communicate with the HD in the dell. I knew the drive had a small Linux partion it, and that ended up how I was able to get the files. I would load up the old drive, letting the floodgates of nostalgia wash over me as all the old DOS 6.2 commands returned to memory, and move files to the linux partition. Then I would reset the configuration, boot up in XP, and drag the files from the linux side to the XP desktop. Because the linux partion was only 8mb, it took several "trips". Score one for Linux.

Found a lot of really neat files besides the source. Old Telemate logs, a copy of the CELLO web browser, old games (that would still boot in the old hard drive, but were hopeless once transferred), Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, Excel 5 files, etc.

The horrible time at work was balanced by the great month at home.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I'm giving myself a C for this challenge.

For my dietary goals, I get an F. I ate a lot of bad food and completely bombed at revolutionizing my diet. I think it's because I failed to put in the proper prep and planning time, so I completely crumbled under the rush of work, two trips, and a lot of social obligations.

For my fitness goals, I'm giving myself an A. I've been lifting more than 2x a week since Christmas and fencing. I did better than I dreamed I could at the fencing tournament in Baltimore this past weekend. I also started jumping rope, which I loathe, and I fought in the long sword tournament with some world class fighters. I was also the only woman to compete, so that was cool. I wish more ladies picked up swords.

For my personal goals, I give myself an A. I completed and launched our company website and wrapped up a few large projects before schedule. I was also hired on permanently with high praise from the boss-types, so I was glad.

For my weight loss goals, I give myself a D. I've lost some weight and tightened up in a few places. But the combination of heavy weight lifting and eating badly is really not good for losing weight.

So, averaged out, I give myself a C.

All that is gold does not glitter.

Not all those who wander are lost.

The old that is strong does not wither.

Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

http://www.kriegschool.com

I'll give myself a C minus.

I didn't hit a single goal.

On the other hand, I got sick and have been working near 80 hour weeks. All year. I've had exactly one 24 hour non-working stretch.

So given that I got in there when I could and don't seem to have lost any strength, I'm not gonna fail myself.

But I also feel that I could have still made some progress if I took my rare free moment to plan and prep better.

I think my goals were good though, and I'll simply retry every one of 'em this next challenge. And hope that I get some help at work.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

1. Work out four days a week on something, running or strength. I know this is ridiculously vague.

Nooooooooooope. I think I got in 6.5 workouts (shorties count as .5), which is 1.6 a week roughly. Even rounding up, it's only 50%.

2. Do short exercises often. Even when I do 4 workouts/week, that's not enough to offset the 165 hours a week I'm not working out. I spend at least six hours sitting at my desk at home, after 6 hours of sitting in a class desk or a work desk. I want to work on little tabatas or little spurts of exercise.

Nooooooooooope. I probably did this twice.

Life Goals:

1. Complete FAFSA for law school.

Yes, done. A+

2. List all my textbooks for sale online.

They're not all up, but many of them are, and I've sold maybe 7 during this challenge. B-

Overall: a generous C.

Paleo Diet B: I stuck with it for 22 days, but ggave it up on a night when I went out drinking.

Go to the gym twice a week B: Skipped it last week of the challenge.

Visualization F : It was boring and uninspiring so I stopped.

Writing my philosophy paper F: Goal 10 pages, I think I wrote one.

final summary for this challenge. i came in late.

goals:

fitness goals:

1. go to the gym at a minimum of 3x per week. i give this a B-. went to the gym 3x one week, 4x another, and 2x the other two weeks because of illness

one session must consist of c25k work - i'm picking up again at week 3. one session must consist of weight training. write all exercises down and work to failure. F did not do more than one session of c25k

2. try a new class at the gym. possibly cardio strike or bosu challenge.GOAL! tried the ballet class. will probably put this in the class rotation.

diet goals:

1. bite it, and write it. i'll be tracking my diet on dailyburn using the same username. i'll also post my food intake here. A. wrote down every bite. even those two cadbury minis today.

2. start eliminating the "bad stuff." (white sugar, white flour, cookies, cake.) C for the most part, i have eliminated these things. haven't had white flour but for once, when roommate made pasta. no cookies or cake, but had pie once. white sugar -- is in my boxed oatmeal in the morning, (but it's sugar, not corn syrup) and had two or three days of having snickers/milk chocolate minis here and there.

3. pay attention to protein and vegetable intake. i love both of these things, but find it difficult to get it in, hopefully being more mindful and eliminating bad carbs will help. B - made sure to try and get the most protein and veggies i could, but it's hard sometimes.

life goal:

1. get rid of crap. start with clothing.F. fail. maybe next time.

total: C+

can't wait for the next challenge!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Here's my recap that I posted:

I kicked butt on my diet and fitness goal. I only missed one yoga session, hit my clubs 3 times a week, and ate great. A-

I am still smoking like a chump. Spezzy owes me one butt kicking. Fail! It's going on my list again next challenge.

I did great with music the first half of the challenge, and I did get my bonus points for setting up recording equipment and using it, however, I didn't do too much the last couple of weeks. B-

I would say that I got about a C+, maybe a B- this challenge.

My ending weight was 208 today. I am pretty sure that the scale is a lying bastard this time, as my pants are looser, and my arms seem to be denser and a bit bigger, so I am ok with that.

I only hit 55/88 daily goals for this challenge, giving me a weak D.

My biggest problem areas were my life goal, my endurance goal, and my dexterity goal. Some of this was caused by an injury to my foot, but most of it by pure sloth and weak will.

For my strength goals, I progressed from 15 consecutive push ups to 29, just 1 shy of my goal: 30 consecutive push ups.

I progressed from 4 consecutive chin ups to 7, 3 shy of my goal: 10 consecutive chin ups.

For my weight goal, I dropped from 215 to 208 with several ups and downs of 5+ lbs in the meanwhile, leaving me about 8 lbs shy of my 200 lbs goal.

Overall, there is some serious improvement in all of those areas, even though they are all short of the final goal. I'm not entirely disappointed with this part of my challenge and would give myself a C+here.

This was a testing the waters month, a month to break bad habits and build good habits. I have changed a lot outside of what shows up in these goals, and believe I am on my way to being healthier and leveling up my life. I'm excited for next month, and have already starting building a series of goals that I believe will motivate me and push me toward that next level. My month overall was a disappointing C, not disappointed because of what I did, but because I know I could have done so much more. I'll wield that knowledge like a sword going into the next challenge.

I'm going to give my challenge an incomplete. I didn't accomplish any of my fitness goals but i did begin walking which is very liberating after months on crutches. I would grade my life goals as a B+ but my challenge was a fitness and life one so theres always next time.

My fitness goals were mostly postponed due to my ankle injury.

I did however begin stretching, mostly my right leg and ankle. And the stretching is helping a lot in my recovery.

Life Goals:

These goals will go towards scratching items off of my bucket list.

1:Floss Daily- A may have missed a day or two but did it otherwise

2:Get Organized- B- for me I am extremely organized, personally though I know i can improve more

3:Read for 30 minutes every day. A+ did it and some, still doing it too

4:Get a normal sleep schedule back. B. I had a horrible sleep schedule at the beginning of this challenge, but now that i'm back at school i'm in a very solid schedule.

Current Progress:

Start Height:6'2

Start Weight:290 Finish: 285

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Human Adventurer

My Bucket List/Epic Quest || Tasty's Reckoning: Becoming Bane

| Str: 6 | Dex: 5.75 | Sta: 5 | Con: 5 | Wis: 10 | Cha: 7 |

My fitness goals went very well. The non-fitness goal... eh, not as much. However, to be fair, it's partly because in the process of attempting this goal, I realized just how much work I needed to do if I'm going to execute it properly. Anyway, without further ado, here we go!

Fitness Goals

• Extra hour of karate practice per week: 100%
  • Memorize four new kata: 90% (almost, but not quite, got the last one memorized)
  • Prepare one fresh dinner each week: 100%

Non-fitness Goal

• Apply to ten job positions: 40%

Final Grade: 82.5% (B-)

I did great on my fitness goals, but to be honest those weren't that difficult. These were an incremental improvement on my current regime and diet. My non-fitness goal wasn't even close to completed, but I definitely wouldn't say it was a failure. In the process of finding these jobs and seeing what I need to do to properly apply for them (network, cover letters, informational interviews, etc.), I got a much better idea of what I need to be doing. So while the goal wasn't completed, I think I'm much more prepared for my job hunt this coming month.

Staring weight: 300#

Ending weight: 300# ... WTFudge?!?!?!!?

Goal 1 - To complete 3 miles of walking in 60 minutes by the end of this challenge by walking everyday for 30 minutes to start and building up to an hour.

Score: 3/5 -- didn't walk everyday, but definitely built my stamina up

Goal 2 - To engage in 30 minutes of strength training 5 days a week.

Score: 4/5 -- missed a few days, but I got in at least 3 days a week

Goal 3 - To learn about and maintain a paleo diet/lifestyle.

Score: 2/5 -- definitely learned more about paleo, could have been better at practicing

Goal 4 - To spend at least 15 minutes a day in meditation/contemplation/prayer.

Score: 4/5 -- missed a few days, and boy could I tell when I did

Goal 5 - To level-up-my-life by applying to at least three teaching credential programs and practicing how be a more effective writer (in terms of essays and research papers) by writing at least two essays by the end of this challenge.

Score: 0/5 -- v. bad

Goal 6 - To read at least 30 minutes a day.

Score: 5/5 -- I may not have read 30 minutes a day, because some days I'd read for 60 or 90 minutes, so I figured that made up for some of the days I missed. :-P

TOTAL: 18/30

Ouch! Well, learned a lot more about myself with this challenge.

There's no telling what we might discover if we decided that anything was possible.

www.twitter.com/ringingmybell

Oooh, ok, this could be hard.

First, a D- for tracking my info in my thread properly. I started well, but then got sloppy. I need to work on that.

Clutter Busting: A! Not an A+. A+ would be if we got the sofa out. Turns out, I'm not 100% certain how they got the sofa in the basement, so getting it out is more of a challenge. I might need to take the railing off. Suffice to say, I'm proud of what I achieved. The house is more empty, the closet has space, there are bookshelves with SPACES on them. This is all revolutionary for me. I like how the energy in the house moves.

Biking: WOOT! An A. I only say an A because I now know how to do it better. I hit the wall a few times over the course of this challenge. I didn't put in any rest breaks. If I do another challenge involving biking, I need to set up some rest breaks and just bike more on the "on days".

Yoga: F. While I had my greatest physical improvements in the weeks I did yoga properly, that was only half the time. FAIL

Sleep. I did achieve my sleep goals, but that was in no small part due to the fact that i had the first week of the challenge off and I slept in on weekends. I need to do better on weeknights.

Overall: B. I did okay on all of my goals, but only on paper. I can do a LOT better. I might even say a B-. As a nice bonus, I'm down 5 pounds or so overall. It's a good start.

Lessons: I need to work in more yoga or strength training. It really has a greater impact than the cardio.

I did really well. Here are my results:

1. finish Couch-2-5K (which I will do this week) and start Bridge-2-10K

Not only did I finish c25k, I ran 5 miles this morning. Definitely an A on this one.

2. Drop to 275 pounds

I hit 269 pounds, beating my goal by 6 pounds. Another A.

3. Burn 1000 calories on the treadmill in one session

I have done this three times now. It will become my norm. A.

4. do a 45-second plank (currently at a 15 second max)

for this I give myself a C. I only did it twice.

And as for the tie to work everyday, I am still wearing it. Employee of the year here I come.

I am going to give myself an A overall. Can't wait until the next challenge.

Goals: Continue tracking what I eat, strength train 2-3 times a week, eat five servings of fruits & veggies per day, stay hydrated, and spend at least an hour per week cleaning.

Results: during this challenge I caught the flu, then kicked it and got a cold, of course after going through all this I got a sinus infection. I kept up on my water drinking and cleaning. Everything else was a mixed bag. I think I'm going to give myself an incomplete for this challenge and gear myself up for the next one.

Great job so far everyone. It's great reading all the progress you've all made in the past month. Although I joined late and didn't declare any goals for the challenge I did work on goals over the past month.

Fitness Goals:

Break plateau - I've been at a weight loss plateau for several months. During that time I gained about 10 pounds back that I'd lost too. This past month I've lost 11.5 pounds. Plateau is potentially broken! We'll have to see what happens this next challenge.

Workout 5x/week - C. This one I accomplished halfway. The first two weeks I worked out 6 days a week, the last 2 days only 3x. I've been swamped at work and haven't felt up for going other than on my lifting days.

Begin paleo diet - A. Man, I love this paleo diet. A month ago I knew almost nothing about it, since then I've immersed myself in blogs and books about this diet and transitioned into it with virtually no pain (I do miss beer but still have one or two once a week). I'd like to learn to cook more though so that will be in my next challenge.

Do yoga 3x per week - F. I think I did yoga twice in the last month. Definitely need to get this one going, i'm not flexible at all. Worst part is my mother is an instructor and I still can't keep it up.

Personal Goals:

Don't bring work home - B. I'm getting better at this as time goes on at my new job. Able to prioritze more and make sure I don't have work to do after i'm done for the day.

Quit losing people at work - F. Tailing someone is harder than I thought. I work as a private investigator and usually have to follow someone each day as they leave the house. This month I'm at about a 40% lost rate. Need to bring this way down. New to the job and I'm told i'm at avg. stats for how new I am but still, each time I lose someone I feel like i've wasted my day.

Contribute money to savings - A. I've been very frugal this month. Setting aside a good amount of money to my savings account and contributing my 6% to my 401k.

Be more social with the ladies - F-. Failed hard at this one. Hardly did much socializing at all this past month, even with friends. Must work this one next month again.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

1) Following Tim Ferriss' dieting methods, lose 20 pounds of fat within 28 days

Initial Weight: 178.6

Final Weight: 166.4

Down: 12.2

Okay so we don't know yet how much actual BODYFAT was lost but being down 12.2 pounds in less than a month is fracking awesome. How did it happen? At the beginning of the challenge I followed Tim Ferriss' weight-plan. It could have been the old genes getting used to the diet, but losses were slow at first. About two weeks in I changed my diet to reflect Mark Sisson's methodology: Eat under 50grams of carbs for rapid fat loss. He wasn't kidding. The pounds seemed to melt off.

Bonuses:

No cravings

Fruit is now a treat. Refined candy is too sugary.

Leaner than I've been in years

Can actually see sixpax forming :o

Now, I ranked myself C but feel that diet-wise I did very well. Another 28 days (or less, it feels) and there wont be an inch of bodyfat left ;)

2) Minimize 300 workout time. Ideally, 40 minutes.

Uh... yah. Forgot about this one. Pretty much did it once and that was it.

Truth be told, routines that take a half hour or more just aren't ideal. My schedule just cant contain them every day/week. Besides, I'd rather be doing some fun like parkour. Where we go from here: Doing the 50 pullup challenge. Doesn't require a huge time dedication AND there is room for other fun physical activity. Win. As far as the spartan goal goes, I will build up to it over time. It's more for bragging rights.

Life Goal:

Have $1000 put away for PAX East

Here's the situation: YES! I will have $1000 available. Was anything put away now? No, not really. Am transitioning between jobs and need to budget accordingly. Personal win: Got the job I really wanted.

2) Minimize 300 workout time. Ideally, 40 minutes.

Life Goal:

Have $1000 put away for PAX East

As fire marshall, I think someone should put out all of these fires I keep hearing about on the radio.

Great job so far everyone. It's great reading all the progress you've all made in the past month. Although I joined late and didn't declare any goals for the challenge I did work on goals over the past month.

Fitness Goals:

Break plateau - I've been at a weight loss plateau for several months. During that time I gained about 10 pounds back that I'd lost too. This past month I've lost 11.5 pounds. Plateau is potentially broken! We'll have to see what happens this next challenge.

Begin paleo diet - A. Man, I love this paleo diet. A month ago I knew almost nothing about it, since then I've immersed myself in blogs and books about this diet and transitioned into it with virtually no pain (I do miss beer but still have one or two once a week). I'd like to learn to cook more though so that will be in my next challenge.

Personal Goals:

Don't bring work home - B. I'm getting better at this as time goes on at my new job. Able to prioritze more and make sure I don't have work to do after i'm done for the day.

Quit losing people at work - F. Tailing someone is harder than I thought. I work as a private investigator and usually have to follow someone each day as they leave the house. This month I'm at about a 40% lost rate. Need to bring this way down. New to the job and I'm told i'm at avg. stats for how new I am but still, each time I lose someone I feel like i've wasted my day.

Contribute money to savings - A. I've been very frugal this month. Setting aside a good amount of money to my savings account and contributing my 6% to my 401k.

HOLY CARP!

You're a private investigator!?

That'd be a good pickup for the ladies, but you know, yah gotta keep a low profile :I

Good job for not bringing work home. Since you are immersing yourself in paleo, you've probably heard this already but our ancestors worked WAY less than we did and enjoyed life much more.

WICKED JOB losing that 11 and a half pounds man! Nothing feels better than breaking a plateau.

As fire marshall, I think someone should put out all of these fires I keep hearing about on the radio.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines