Aeryn's Four S's Challenge

Aeryn

Hey Assassins! I'm excited for my third challenge - the first two made some big changes in my life, so I'm looking forward to seeing where this one takes me.

GOALS:

1) Strength Body weight workout 3x a week. This is currently a version of the beginner bodyweight workout, and it's been going well. I want to keep it consistent, and I've just built a pullup bar in my basement, so I'll be adding in elements that use that, with an eventual goal of getting a pullup, though likely not in this six weeks. Also, maybe this will be the challenge when I finally get a real pushup. (STR 4, STA 1)

2) Stretch Mobility 3x a week. I'm starting to feel tight and inflexible in ways I didn't before working out regularly, and I have very few strategies for dealing with it. So I'm planning to use MWOD and any other resources I find to help out with my bendiness. (DEX 3)

3) Stats Track calories, exercise, measurements, and weight, and get conscious control of them! I lost nearly 15 pounds last challenge while not tracking food and never really being hungry. Clearly, this is not actually a maintenance level. I started tracking calories/exercise when the last challenge ended, and I'll take measurements and weigh myself weekly to get to a point where I know what's going on with my body. (WIS 2, CON 2)

4) Stitch Sew a skirt. With the weight loss, my clothing options in my closet have diminished, and I hate shopping. I have a pair of awesome boots that I love wearing with skirts, but fashion has moved to pencil skirts which look weird on me, so I'm failing to find what I want. Time to learn to make it for myself. (WIS 2, CHA 1)

Unscored goals that are carrying over from previous challenges - No more than 3 Cokes a week, go swimming 3x a week. No juggling goals this time, it's too cold outside and my ceilings aren't high enough to work on the things I want to.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Love your goals - very well rounded! Good luck!

Amazon Warrior

Stronglifts 5x5 Progress:

Started 7/29/13

Starting Squat Weight: 45         Current Squat Weight: 75 (staying here while working on form)

Starting Bench Weight: 45        Current Bench Weight: 65

Starting Row Weight: 65           Current Row Weight: 85

Starting OHP Weight: 45           Current OHP Weight: 55

Starting DL Weight: 65              Current DL Weight: 105

I love that you had a juggling goal. :)

Have you set a specific plan for accomplishing your pull-up and push-up goals? A bodyweight routine three times per week is great, but if you have specific goals you'll want to structure it so that you are maximizing your training around those goals.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Hey Dillpedo, yeah, the juggling goal was actually my most successful one last challenge - lots of good progress, and fun! My push-up structure has been doing 3 sets of 8 to 15 reps, as part of my body weight circuit, moving down to a lower incline once I can do 8 on the current incline. If you have any suggestions on something that might be more successful, I'm all ears- I'm making progress to lower inclines, but it's been slower than I ever expected.

For pull-ups, right now I'm planning flexed arm hangs (top position of a pull-up) and dead hangs with scapular retraction (bottom position) for time, and adding in negatives when I feel like I can control them - based on a little playing around yesterday, all I'm doing with negatives right now is courting injury. Again, suggestions are more than welcome!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

First batch of measurements (hey Waldo, I'm basically stealing your list of what to measure, hope you don't mind!):

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 141 lb

Neck: 12.5"

Bust: 36"

Chest: 32"

Waist Flexed: 28"

Waist Unflexed: 30"

Bicep R: 11"

Bicep L: 10.6

Forearm R: 9.75"

Forearm L: 9.5"

Glutes: 37.5"

Thigh R: 21.2"

Thigh L: 21"

Knee R: 13.5"

Knee L: 13.5"

Calf R: 14"

Calf L: 14"

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Congrats on the weight loss from last challenge. Very creative idea sewing your own skirt. Will we get to see the finished product?

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Great goals you have going!! :)

I really like your sewing goal! I've only recently started sewing myself (cosplay costume), though while doing it my mom's really old sewing machine kinda started misbehaving, so I can't use it anymore!

I really love to see your skirt when you finish it!!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Bodyweight workout today (3 circuits):

30# Squats: 15/15/15

Lunges: 10/10/10

Pushups - first step(second step): 4(4)/2(6)/3(5)

Flexed arm hang (seconds): 5-5-5/5-5-5/3-2-5

dead hang (seconds): 10-10-10/10-10-10/10-10-10

Lunges: 14/14/14

32.5# dumbbell rows: 10/11/11

plank (seconds): 75/80/80

Flexed arm hangs are harder than I expected, so I ended up doing 3 mini-sets each circuit, ditto the dead hang. Also realized on the last circuit that my hand position was totally different for flex vs dead hangs - shoulder width for the flex hang, significantly wider for the dead hang. Not sure which is "right", but tried the wide grip for my last set of flex hangs, which was a total failure (note the 2-second hang!) so I switched back to the narrower grip. Dead hang with the narrow grip feels different, but not significantly harder. Also, my hands hurt - I need to build up some grip strength and some calluses! And maybe wrap my bar in some tape - it's a steel pipe right now, no padding at all.

Elastigirl and Kibcy - it is quite possible that there will be a photo of the finished skirt, maybe even with me in it! I've done some sewing before, but never clothes, so this will be an adventure. :)

Level 13 Elven Assassin

What I would do (there are many ways to do this stuff, so do what works best for you) is break out whatever you really want to focus on from the rest of your circuit. So, for example, using your workout above and a push-up goal...

Incline Push-ups: 3 sets of 5-8, ~2 min. rest between sets

THEN your circuit...

30# Squats

Lunges

Flexed arm hang

dead hang

Lunges

32.5# dumbbell rows

plank

The next time you do your workout, you'd add the push-ups back into your circuit and break out a pull-up variation for your primary, first exercise.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Awesome goals!

From what I've read, a wider pull up grip is more back-focused. I mean the pull up is mostly a back excercise anyway, but the wider the grip the more you engage your back, rather than arms and chest. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

And sitio on the plank-awe! That is impressive.

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

What I would do (there are many ways to do this stuff, so do what works best for you) is break out whatever you really want to focus on from the rest of your circuit. So, for example, using your workout above and a push-up goal...

Incline Push-ups: 3 sets of 5-8, ~2 min. rest between sets

THEN your circuit...

Thanks, Dillpedo, that totally makes sense - work on the exercise I'm focusing on while I'm fresh, not tired from doing other things. I'll start doing it this way tomorrow!

I am seriously impressed with your planks. I believe that, when doing plank, time dilates. And 10 seconds of plank time seems to be 10^13 seconds. Yeah brutal!

How is the skirt coming?

Haha, plank time dilation is totally real, those are the longest minutes of my day! I do think the plank has a huge mental component - I do everything I can to not look at my timer while I'm in it, because watching those seconds tick down is torture. Good workout music helps, though - you can focus on making it to the end of the verse, or through the chorus, or whatever.

So far for the skirt I've found some really good online tutorials, and i'm going to the fabric shop tomorrow to see what fabric options are out there. I also realized it's going to need a zipper, which is going to be an interesting additional challenge - hadn't quite realized that when I started.

Awesome goals!

From what I've read, a wider pull up grip is more back-focused. I mean the pull up is mostly a back excercise anyway, but the wider the grip the more you engage your back, rather than arms and chest. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

And sitio on the plank-awe! That is impressive.

Huh, I guess that makes sense for the pull-up. Not sure if that matters for me working on it, but good to know! Thanks for the plank props - they're hard, but worth it for the definition and stability I'm starting to feel in my abs.

Swam today and felt the soreness in my shoulders/lats/pecs during freestyle pulls - I hadn't really considered that freestyle stroke is a vertical pull, just lying down in the water. Interested to see what my pull-up work will do for that, eventually.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Hmmm that is interesting...I betcha pull ups WOULD help that a lot...

on a side note, how did you do your blinking eye? Is it just a GIF or something else?

It's just an animated GIF - I was actually surprised more people don't have ones that move!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Workout today:

Pushups, first step (second step): 4(4), 3(6), 3(6), 3(6)

Circuit, 3x:

Split squat, 15# dumbbell on opposite shoulder: 15 per leg

feet-assisted pull-up: 8

dumbbell rows, 35#: 6

rolling plank of doom: 30 sec per side

So, a few new things today - doing the pushups first definitely gave them more oomph, and made me sweaty before starting my circuit - weird how that affects my impression of how hard things are. Added a fourth set for pushups just because.

Split squats with 15# are probably too easy, so I need to up that weight to at least 20# next time. (I have 4 dumbbell handles and a limited array of plates, so making a 20# one may mess up one of my other weights - I'll have to see.) I like split squats better than box squats, though, and I'm working towards pistols both in strength and mobility - my ankle doesn't want to bend that far yet.

Feet assisted pull-up feels good but is really hard to gauge how much I'm helping myself. It's a lot, though.

Upped the weight on the dumbbell rows, so dropped the reps down to 6 - also, between all the pushups and pullups, my arms felt dead.

I'd heard about the rolling plank of doom elsewhere on the forums, decided to try it. Next time I'm upping the time on front and back plank to 1 minute, but 30 sec is about as much as I can do on a side right now. Wow.

Also, mobility! I'm starting at the beginning on MWOD, so Monday I did a 10-minute squat. Had to stand up at about 5 min in for 10-15 sec so my shins would stop yelling at me. Shins/front of ankle were the main sticking points - I also ended up sitting down out of the squat at about minute 8 while shifting my weight around, trying to see how far back I could shift and still be off the ground - not that far, it turns out. Interesting. Yesterday was couch stretch - hip flexors! Mine are really tight, it seems, not surprising since I sit in front of a computer all day. Could feel a huge difference after 4 minutes per side, but ow, that is not so fun.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Rolling plank of doom??? I think you need to post a video link to one of those - eek! they sound scary!

Great job on the workouts and holy planks batman - your core must be in beastmode to do 80 seconds!!!

Level 4 Human Adventurer:  current challenge  ||| battle log stardate: 4/15-5/27/13STR - 4 | DEX - 4.5 | STA - 5.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 7 | CHA - 6You want me to do something... tell me I can't do it. -Maya Angelou

Workout today:

Pushups, first step (second step): 4(4), 3(6), 3(6), 3(6)

Circuit, 3x:

Split squat, 15# dumbbell on opposite shoulder: 15 per leg

feet-assisted pull-up: 8

dumbbell rows, 35#: 6

rolling plank of doom: 30 sec per side

So, a few new things today - doing the pushups first definitely gave them more oomph, and made me sweaty before starting my circuit - weird how that affects my impression of how hard things are. Added a fourth set for pushups just because.

Split squats with 15# are probably too easy, so I need to up that weight to at least 20# next time. (I have 4 dumbbell handles and a limited array of plates, so making a 20# one may mess up one of my other weights - I'll have to see.) I like split squats better than box squats, though, and I'm working towards pistols both in strength and mobility - my ankle doesn't want to bend that far yet.

Feet assisted pull-up feels good but is really hard to gauge how much I'm helping myself. It's a lot, though.

Upped the weight on the dumbbell rows, so dropped the reps down to 6 - also, between all the pushups and pullups, my arms felt dead.

I'd heard about the rolling plank of doom elsewhere on the forums, decided to try it. Next time I'm upping the time on front and back plank to 1 minute, but 30 sec is about as much as I can do on a side right now. Wow.

Also, mobility! I'm starting at the beginning on MWOD, so Monday I did a 10-minute squat. Had to stand up at about 5 min in for 10-15 sec so my shins would stop yelling at me. Shins/front of ankle were the main sticking points - I also ended up sitting down out of the squat at about minute 8 while shifting my weight around, trying to see how far back I could shift and still be off the ground - not that far, it turns out. Interesting. Yesterday was couch stretch - hip flexors! Mine are really tight, it seems, not surprising since I sit in front of a computer all day. Could feel a huge difference after 4 minutes per side, but ow, that is not so fun.

5 minutes with only a short break is pretty impressive for the mobilty squat. Its always the achilles that starts to cramp on me.

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Workout today:

Flexed arm hang (sec): 8/8/8, 8/8/8, 8/5/3

Dead hang (sec): 15/15/15, 15/15/15, 15/15/30

Circuit, 3x:

Split squat, 20# dumbbell on opposite shoulder: 15 per leg

Push-up, first step (second step): 7(3), 6(4), 4(6)

dumbbell rows, 35#: 10

rolling plank of doom: 45 sec front/back, 30 sec sides (skipped the last set for this one).

Alarep, the rolling plank of doom is just doing front plank, then side plank, then reverse plank, and the the other side. It's well-named, though- it's tough!

- Forearms are killing me after flexed arm hangs.

- think I need to up the time on dead hangs, had the 30 sec one left in the tank after 3 sets.

- yay push-up progress!

I got scratched across my wrist during inner tube water polo on Friday, so push-up/plank position hurts right now- I'm hoping it'll heal fast, planks are tough enough without extra pain.

Big project this weekend was the skirt-sewing goal - got the fabric, drew the pattern, and sewed it yesterday, finished it this afternoon! So that's goal 4 defeated - I may actually make a second one, it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. Fun!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

5 minutes with only a short break is pretty impressive for the mobilty squat. Its always the achilles that starts to cramp on me.

Thanks! I'm discovering that my calves are really tight and my ankles aren't very flexible - the MWOD I did yesterday was working on that, and I clearly need it, particularly if I'm ever going to do a pistol squat.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

INNER TUBE WATER POLO?!?! what is that, even? lol.

Already done a goal? You are crazy. And your mobility squat is major beastly. I can't even get to 10 seconds, so there's your comparison benchmark for how awesome you are.

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

INNER TUBE WATER POLO?!?! what is that, even? lol.

Already done a goal? You are crazy. And your mobility squat is major beastly. I can't even get to 10 seconds, so there's your comparison benchmark for how awesome you are.

Inner tube water polo is just what it sounds like - water polo, but everyone's sitting in inner tubes instead of having to tread water the whole time. It's hilariously fun, particularly because our rules are that you can do pretty much anything you want to other people's tubes - flip them, hang on and make them tow you around, push off of them to get moving - as long as you don't touch the person. It's pretty awesome. I got scratched when someone made a grab for my tube and got my wrist instead.

And thanks for the support! I really didn't expect the sewing goal to be as straightforward as it was, but it's awesome to have a project go so smoothly.

WEEK ONE REVIEW:

Strength 3/3 workouts, pull-up bar is getting used, and pushups are improving - A.

Stretch 3/3 mobility, definitely seeing that I needed to do this, I'm tight in all sorts of unexpected ways! - A

Stats I've been tracking calories all week, need to do weight and measurements tonight. - A

Stitch Done! This was easier than I'd thought it was going to be, so I may actually sew a second skirt. - A

Level 13 Elven Assassin

I wanna play innertube water polo!

Measurements:

Weight: 139.5

Neck: 12.5"

Bust: 35.8"

Chest: 32"

Waist Flexed: 28"

Waist Unflexed: 30"

Bicep R: 11.1"

Bicep L: 10.7

Forearm R: 9.75

Forearm L: 9.5"

Glutes: 37.4"

Thigh R: 21.2"

Thigh L: 21"

Knee R: 13.5"

Knee L: 13.5"

Calf R: 14"

Calf L: 14"

Calories- for last week, I was either under my goal calories by 1,100 or pretty much right on them, depending on whether I'm supposed to be eating back my exercise calories. Weigh-in is below last week, but I fluctuate fairly widely, so no real guarantees there. I'm thinking I need to make a spreadsheet for all this info so I can manipulate it more easily. Need moar data!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Dang! You are making me feel completely like a slacker, even though I've been doing well on my goals! Your progress so far is AWESOME!!! Way to keep checking in and working hard to achieve. You rock! Thanks for the inspiration :D

Name: Tibi Fide -- "Trust in Yourself"

Race: Centaur

Profession: Monk, Level 2

Attributes: Str4 Dex5 Sta1 Con6 Wis5 Cha2"First step - forget fall off of horse. Second step - get back onto horse. Third step - conquer the known universe."-- Dillpedo

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines