Chris-Tien's Forward Base

Chris-Tien Jinn

This challenge, I'm keeping it pretty simple. It is the holiday season in the U.S.A. AND I am moving to a new city with a very different living arrangement (non-family roommates for the first time since college … which was 35 years ago). My overall aim is to hold it together, avoid emotional eating, and establish good habits in the new location. It might be a bit tough because my best friend lives there …. and she's very overweight. I hope to influence her more than she influences me.

Fitness Goals

"Run, you mother!!!"

During this 6-weeks, I will enter and run at least one 5K race. The local university in my current city has a Turkey Trot the Saturday after Thanksgiving - and I should be ready to run that by turkey day. I'm currently on week 8 of the C25K plan. And I used to run a lot. Even if I walk part, it will count. And I will join the local Anytime Fitness so that I can run every other day ---- no excuses because of the weather.

(+3 STA, +1 STR)

"Food is fuel"

I know how to eat right. Really. No one needs to tell me what healthy eating is like. I know it. Once upon a time, I viewed food as fuel and not entertainment. It helped that I was playing hockey, running, lifting, and working on my black belt in karate. But I still avoided sweets and fried foods because they did not help my performance. Time to get back to that mind set. Hard to measure that, however - so I am going to aim for 5 freggies per day. Given that I won't have access to a kitchen after Thanksgiving, that means I'll stock Naked fruit smoothies, fresh fruit, and freeze-dried vegetables in my dorm-like room …. and I need to find which dining center has a salad bar on campus, which is where I'll eat most of my meals.

(+2 CON, +2 WIS)

"I believe in stretch goals"

Time to get a dexterity goal in there. I will stretch and increase mobility DAILY, but especially after workouts. I've not been good at this lately, and some of my muscles are getting tight.

(+2 DEX, +1 WIS)

Life Goals

"Calm your mind"

It's going to be a stressful period. I'll be starting a new job in a new city. I will be renting a room from a retired faculty member - and sharing a bathroom with two strangers (thankfully both female faculty members) who are also renting rooms. No kitchen. No husband. No dog. No cat. While I think I will love my new job, there is no way to be sure until I get there. I'm crazy to even contemplate this move, but we're hoping that it will be a good way to get the family moved to a location where both my husband and I can have good jobs in the next year.

But, in the mean time, I need to guard against craziness. Running regularly is one way. Meditation daily is another. I used to do both, and I liked myself a lot better. So, I'm adding daily meditation to the list of goals for this challenge. Ideally, 20 minutes per day, but I'll need to work back up to that.

(+3 WIS, +1 CHA)

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Sounds like you have a great plan.

Good luck at your new job and environment! Sounds like this challenge is going to be especially challenging thanks to that!!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

TURKEY TROT!!!! do it! then stretch. Then relax. Successful you.

Good luck. You've totally got this!!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Coolness, you're back! Knew you would be, though. Can't wait to see what you invent this time....

"Run, you mother!!!"

I did not do anything toward this goal today. Windy, cold, snowy .... lead to excuses. But I did get a lot of housework and moving prep done.

"Food is fuel"

FREGGIES!!!! I did at least 5 (1/42) fruits and veggies.

Breakfast: big banana - this actually counts as TWO servings

Snack: freeze dried peas. Surprisingly good as a chip substitute

Lunch: nada (grilled cheese samich)

Reception for hubby (Rotary service recognition): fruit to go along with the bbq chicken drummies

Dinner: big serving of squash soup with parsnips and sundried tomatoes

Stretched out - felt really good. (1/42)

"Calm your mind"

Meditated for 10 minutes to ease back in to the practice. (1/42)

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"Run, you mother!!!"

I did not do anything toward this goal today. Windy, cold, snowy .... lead to excuses. But I did get a lot of housework and moving prep done.

But at least you didn't sit still either :)

You can do it!!

And good work on your other goals! :D

Spoiler

But at least you didn't sit still either :)

Exactly. I'm looking forward to working again - which usually means a lot of walking between appointments all day. Plus walking the 3 blocks from my rented room to my office (each way). Surprising how important the non-exercise activity (NEAT) is to overall health.

Some sort of Jedi .....

Great goals and job on day one. I love that you put meditation into your goals, especially with all the moving this is gonna be great for you. Keep up the good work.

Level 2 VIKING WARRIOR

STG-4 / DEX-2 / CON-5 / STA-2 / WIS-5 / CHA-4

"Sheppard Book always said "If ya can't do something smart, do something right"." -Jayne Cobb

11/13

"Run, you mother!!!"

I did not do anything toward this goal today. Spent most of the day in the car, going over to my former hometown to hit the orthodontist one last time (need to find a new one in the new city .... ugh).

"Food is fuel"

FREGGIES!!!! I had to work at incorporating 5 (2/42) fruits and veggies.

Breakfast: smoothie with fruit

Lunch: salad .... barely counts

Dinner: chicken alfredo with mushrooms and broccoli

Stretched out - felt really good after a day in the car (2/42)

"Calm your mind"

Meditated for 8 minutes before hubby got home from an early morning meeting .... and we scooted out to old home (2/42)

Got some work to do to make these automatic habits!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

You can't have them all, but good job with staying on track with your goals despite being busy all day!

Spoiler

chip away! You did the meditation! You worked on the diet some. That's really good! You've got a lot going on.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

11/14

"Run, you mother!!!"

Gotta get on the board with this one, but the two month's of travel are catching up with me. Got some bug and am working through it.

"Food is fuel"

FREGGIES!!!! (3/42) 5+ fruits and veggies, although it took some attention:

Breakfast smoothie (big - banana)

Yogurt and fruit for a snack

Soup for lunch

Soup for dinner

Stretched out - achy muscles from travel and the crud (3/42)

"Calm your mind"

Did not meditate, which is just wrong. Like stretching, it is so easy to do, but I forgot about it until bedtime. (2/42)

Some sort of Jedi .....

While you're sick you could head over to Anytime Fitness and get that membership squared away. Just sayin', T-giving and its attendent Turkey Trot ain't that far off, and you'd be ready to go when you're well.....

While you're sick you could head over to Anytime Fitness and get that membership squared away. Just sayin', T-giving and its attendent Turkey Trot ain't that far off, and you'd be ready to go when you're well.....

Good point. I'm not in that city yet, but I sent off a membership inquiry to the club. Going to go out and see how I feel with a gentle run. I can at least get 5K under my feet on this very lovely, sunny day!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

11/15 - Booya! A definite A day.

"Run, you mother!!!"

Ran W8D1 of C25K. Slowly. But I did it. I sorta took a break half-way through in order to get a springer spaniel puppy back to his owner, but I didn't dawdle before returning to a jog.

"Food is fuel"

FREGGIES!!!! (4/42) 5+ fruits and veggies:

Breakfast smoothie (big banana counts as two)

Spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, and broccoli for dinner

Stretched out after the run (4/42)

"Calm your mind"

Meditated 11 minutes before supper instead of the usual glass of wine! (3/42)

Plus ... I'm getting back on the proverbial horse - starting to write articles and proposals again. About 1/2 have gotten slammed (sometimes with odd reviewers' comments) pretty hard, and I am having trouble sitting down to write and revise. But, I'm working on it.

Some sort of Jedi .....

You ran, you mother!! You're on the board!! And, you helped a puppy in the middle of it. Should've put yourself down for some good karma, too. A boo-ya day indeed.

Good job on getting that run in! Slow doesn't matter, what matters is that you did it! :D

I see your second and third goals are going great!!! Good job keeping up with them!

Nice that you're getting back into writing, you can do it!

Spoiler

I agree! Slow doesn't matter! Good work!

And I understand the writing and reviewer comments. Stick to it!!!!!! You just need to find the right place.

How's everything going w the move, etc.?

I AM going the distance

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines