Harris's Deceptively Simple Yet Surprisingly Pernicious First Challenge Goals

PointyEnd

Welp. Today was my first time back on the burpee wagon in a good three weeks (!), and they are still the ass-kickers they ever were.

10-minute session. 20 + 19 + 18 + 17 + 16 + 1 = 91.

Alas! I have yet to beat Kishi's 93! On the plus side: This is a PR for me, besting my previous record of 90. Coming off three weeks of no burpees at all, a couple of which were spent in the company of a narsty cold, I'm okay with this.

Kishi, if you have any interest in keeping up this 10-minute burp-off thing after the challenge is over, let me know, because I for one am game. And if anyone else wants in, that's awesome too.

Hahahaha, you are a beast. Coming back to burpees after three weeks off and a cold? And busting out a PR? Friggin' boss as hell, that is.

As to whether I'm interested? Well, as Paul would say, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. I have some healing I need to do before I can seriously consider this again. Come get my 93, and then we'll talk. ::CLANG goes the gauntlet::

Hahahaha, you are a beast. Coming back to burpees after three weeks off and a cold? And busting out a PR? Friggin' boss as hell, that is.

It was that one last burpee. I almost didn't do it. I didn't know I was going to bust my record with it, either -- I just got through the 16, saw I had ten seconds left on the clock, thought I was going to die, and went "Eff this, I can bang out one more." And lo.

One day I'll have to videotape these things. They're not pretty. I imagine it's something like watching a fish get electrocuted.

Well, as Paul would say, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. I have some healing I need to do before I can seriously consider this again. Come get my 93, and then we'll talk. ::CLANG goes the gauntlet::

Heal up! I just went and read your thread, and yeah, you've got some rehabilitation to do. I wish you a speedy and, more importantly, thorough recovery.

Your 93 is toast by New Year's. I can feel it.

Level 2 MonkSTR: 4 | DEX: 4 | STA: 2 | CON: 6 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenge Thread

Report card time!

Goal 1: 20 Burpee Challenge

Grade: Incomplete

This challenge, I aimed to get from a descending burpee ladder starting with 8 (+7+6+5+4+3+2+1) to one starting with 20. I was doing beautifully on this, getting ahead of myself even, for about the first three weeks, and got up to 14 before the challenge was half through.

Then I got derailed by two things: first a flare-up of a painful ganglion cyst in one wrist, and then a cold that had me pretty well flat for about two weeks.

Under the circumstances, if this were school, I'd ask for an extension. So here's the plan: If I can't get through a 20-burpee challenge by New Year's, no points for this goal.

Goal 2: 5 Proper Push-Ups

Grade: A

Expectations met and surpassed. My PR is 11, and I can do 7 or 8 in a set regularly now. From having trouble with just doing one all the way to the floor six weeks ago, not too shabby. Will continue with these, I like what they're doing for me.

Goal 3: Six Grain-Free Days, One Sugar-Free Day Each Week

Grade: B+

For the first four weeks of the challenge, I tracked my diet meticulously, and stayed on track. The last two weeks, I was on vacation, and didn't keep up with the tracking. Success for those two weeks was a mixed bag. I decided I'd allow some rice to keep restaurant eating from being too difficult, so there was some backsliding on that front. On the other hand, I managed to get to the point where I'm no longer putting sugar in my tea and coffee by default, which has been the single biggest barrier to reducing my sugar consumption. A huge victory, that.

I must admit, my diet on the trip back home yesterday and today has been positively appalling. O_O

Overall, I'm giving myself fairly high marks for this one, because I kept my eyes on the prize, cooked my own healthy meals most of the time, did not use vacation and holidays as an excuse to go off the reservation, and have made some dietary shifts that will really help me out in the long term.

Goal 4: Writing

Grade F

No two ways about it, I failed the hell out of this one. I feel an urge to be doing more fiction/non-work writing, but it's too unfocused to be easily put into action. I'm struggling with this one, because when most of my job consists of banging out articles at top speed, the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is more writing. Maybe word counts aren't the way to do it. Maybe I just picked a bad time. Will keep trying to find a way to keep making incremental progress at this even when it feels hard.

I'm really psyched about the progress I've made during this challenge, even though I didn't get everything, spent a lot of it being sick, and haven't lost a frickin' pound. I've pushed myself, and I'm seeing the payoff in how I feel and what my body can do. And I'm so thrilled with all the folks I've met here, and especially delighted with the side challenge I've had going on with Kishi, which was a huge motivator and got me hustling in a way I never would have without such a worthy opponent.

Next challenge I'm going for the pull-up. I want that pull-up, man.

Congrats on the push-ups and the diet!

Re burpees - good idea to give yourself an incomplete. I'm guessing the day after Christmas isn't the best time to re-test yourself. ;)

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

All things considered, it sounds like a strong finish, and it also sounds like it's not done yet.

And yeah, I hear you on the writing. When I was freelancing, writing became something that was really hard to do. Coming back from that was really hard too. In the end, the thing I found most helpful was writing the things I wanted to write before the work got to me. And doing something like that during the mornings has proven to be helpful for me ever since.

Thanks, everybody! You guys have been so encouraging, I know it's been a huge factor in pressing forward for me.

Caponerd, yeah, it's my first time around on one of these. Already working on some ideas for the next one. I like the format of these things, they feel a lot more do-able than those "I WILL DO MORE AND MORE REPS OF ____ TIL THE END OF TIME" type goals I tend to set for myself when I'm not on any kind of program.

I had a whack at another 10-minute burpee set today, and ended up exactly where I was last time around: 91 on the nose. It seems that's where I'm at this week. And now I'm a jelly. Help, what are knees.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines