• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Angelcakes

Team: Cartoon Heroes

GO ME for reading everything before putting my name down! (That was a multi-tasking fail!)

Still, I'm happy to be leading our super awesome team Cartoon Heroes!

Myself (Angelcakes)

chiyou

exjamieus

Harris

jaxjaxjax

karinalynne

jimmie65

Considering I'm a huge City of Heroes player and that game is going away at the end of November (sadface/rageface), I want to encourage you to be everyday heroes. We may not be super powered in real life, but we can be super purposed. Our purpose is to encourage and uplift each other. We're here for each other, no matter what.

Let's crush it!

Edited by Angelcakes
Adding the wonderful new teammates!

I'm in! Accidental Team Leader, I salute you.

I'm 36, female, in upstate New York, a fencer and a kung fu beginner. Working my way back to full function after a bad leg break last February, which left me extra-motivated to get back to the fitness level I had as a college athlete and then blow past it. I want to leap tall buildings with a single bound. Or at least jump over my picnic table.

I think we also have a spot of Doctor Who fandorkitude in common. Allons-y!

Welcome, Harris! I loved fencing. I had to learn it when I was student teaching (theatre arts classes). I fight left handed which throws everyone off, it's great! I had a certification in dual weapon stage combat, as well. Let the team know how we can help keep YOU motivated and accountable! :D

I <3 <3 the Doctor, by the way. #4-4EVAR!

Hi everyone!

OMG Harris, fencing and kung fu?? I didn't even know it was possible to be that bad-ass.

I'm 24, also female, in NYC! I'm midway through losing a ton of weight through mostly-paleo, calorie counting, walking a lot, and flailing around trying to figure out how to use my muscles.

Glad to have a team of nerds in the fight with me :strawberry:

Congrats on the weight loss, chiyou!

Re: badassness: I am the most badassest mofo who ever broke a leg by falling on ice while walking to her car. It is me. *shakes fist @ universe*

I'm kinda-mostly-paleo as well, though there's a big fat exception called dairy products in my life at the moment. Will probably see if I can push the diet farther at some point, but first things first.

Angelcakes, all the best fencers are lefties, goddamnit. *grin* And go you with the oldskool Who. I love me some Logopolis.

Hi I joined this group because it looked cool and because I want to be a superhero. I am a LA transplant to Buffalo NY.

I have lost about 30 lbs and just have 5-10 left to be at my goal weight. Then to get stronger and more superhero like.

I was trying paleo, but I love cheese and beans and don't love meat that much. SO I am eating some primal dairy hybrid, which means basically no bready stuff and trying to eat clean. Except when I don't and then I eat whatever delicious thing I can find.

Working on lots of indoor exercise because I am afraid of breaking my leg on the stupid black ice, so no more outdoor running for me for a while. Its too cold and I don't like cold.

Hi all!

I am brand new to Nerd Fitness -- been reading Steve's blog obsessively for about a month now and am prETTy stoked to get involved in this challenge. I'm 24 years old and making my grand tour of the United States; born in Jersey, raised in Colorado, college in San Diego, more college in Northern Virginia....just moved to Florida.

And I want to be a superhero with you bad-ass mofo's! Relishing the hard-core-ity.

It's been kind of an emotional roller-coaster for me the past few months and I've put on a significant amount of weight. I am a carnivore at heart and enjoy eating Paleo, but I have an unsatiable sweet tooth that has been my kryptonite. My goals for this challenge mainly involve making exercise a priority (daily!) and eating Paleo 95% of the time. I think just having a couple people to check in with will inspire me to keep going and push through the days where I REALLY don't want to walk my morning mile and just really want my chocolate-chip-nutella-sea-salt cookies, damnit.

And who knows, maybe I'll learn a few fencing tips? BONUS!

I have about 30 pounds or so to go to get back down to my normal weight.

Sweet! NERD-HEROES, ASSEMBLE!

So, it looks like our hodge-podge group are gonna have to go after the baddest bad guy around: demotivation. We've tried to face him individually, but he's stronger than we are....Unless we unite! By our powers of inner strength, encouragement, empathy, wisdom, and inspiration, we will succeed and we will all come out better people for it! This is the Thanksgiving season...let's find reasons to be thankful, but more importantly, let's GIVE OTHERS reasons to be thankful!!

<3 <3 you all!! :D

Yay! Welcome to the Heroes Jimmie :)

Sweet! NERD-HEROES, ASSEMBLE!

So, it looks like our hodge-podge group are gonna have to go after the baddest bad guy around: demotivation. We've tried to face him individually, but he's stronger than we are....Unless we unite!

Feeling inspired already, Angelcakes. Demotivation is watching skeptically in the corner. I was very much reminded of Captain Planet just now :P

So does anyone else wear Under Armour partially because the logo looks like a superhero's symbol?

Since I'm living in Florida now, there's really no need to ever wear Under Armour, but I've for sure thought about that for the design. When I go for outside runs I usually pretend that I'm chasing after villains (or being pursued, depending on what's more motivating to me that day).

So, really, the question has to be asked: What would all of your cartoon superhero powers be?

And how are y'all doing so far in this challenge? I ate strictly Paleo yesterday, successfully avoiding the celebratory cupcakes and cookies we made for my friend's new job. It helped that after my cupcake sat uneaten for a few minutes, one of my friends took it upon himself to initiate a food fight. If only I had someone to follow me around and throw all of my temptations at someone else's face.

I'm in Texas but still like Under Armour. Just realized this morning that, besides the compression underwear and shirts, I've accumulated 5 UA t-shirts.

Cartoon superpower? So many to choose from. Speed and strength, definitely. And invisibility.

My challenge is going good so far, though my arms and chest are sore from the increase in weights. My biggest issues are going to be the "Do something now" consistency goal; it would have been so to skip my morning mile the last two (cold) mornings, and I hate logging my food and stretching.

My challenge is going good so far, though my arms and chest are sore from the increase in weights. My biggest issues are going to be the "Do something now" consistency goal; it would have been so to skip my morning mile the last two (cold) mornings, and I hate logging my food and stretching.

I feel you on that for sure. I often find the simple, repetitive things are the hardest to keep up with. BUT you're consistently going more than one mile every morning! Get 'er done...

Recap of the day (sorry for the briefness)

*Was in Phoenix for a university tour

*Grabbed fast food on the way home because what I thought was a forum discussion due tonight is, in fact, part of my MAJOR PROJECT.

*Powerbar for breakfast at 5am; quarter cup of some sort of seed-based trail mix about 11am; chicken caesar salad for lunch; another handful of a nut-based trailmix about 3:00pm; Arby's around 6pm

*Doing my normal workout tomorrow due to a HUGE misreading of assignments

*Assignment going fairly well

On the plus side, met a gamer chick at the university tour who's thinking of joining up here on NerdFitness! :D Yay!

Keep on keeping on and don't let "bad days" get you side tracked. As long as we have more good days than bad, we'll defeat our opponent and keep him at bay!

Oh, and my superpowers (were I to have them) would be Empathy/Willpower & Super Strength...or really big hammers....

Edited by Angelcakes

Oh hi everyone! I forgot the internet and fell behind the thread!

Hope you all had a good day today :) I had some non-caveman eats while hanging out with a friend, but that's an ok exception for me, so everything's basically on track so far. THREE WHOLE DAYS :strawberry: Yay us!

Superpower. Right now I need some super speed. And maybe some laser vision to cook dinner faster.

I have 3 kids and its super crazy until Thanksgiving around here. Lets say the eating healthy part of this challenge is not off to a great start. I will be out of the house for the next week every night at dinnertime with pizza provided. My 8YO loves doing christmas charity work and this is their big week, so we go, every night from 4-7. Packing up boxes of christmas gifts to go around the world. At least there is some heavy lifting and running about for three hours a night. My plan for tomorrow, bring some veggies and/or fruit so that there is something good to eat there so I don't have to eat the delicious cookies and cakes like I did last night or wait until I get home and eat fast food like I did tonight. That was my one fast food and one soda for the week.

No more until Sunday, because my weeks start on Sunday. I have to break up the weekend, so that if I do really bad on Sat, I restart the week on Sunday instead of Monday.

At least I am getting the exercise in in the morning. Did insanity workout today. Now to work on the push up and pull ups. Darn I forgot about those. Better do them now.

So sorry, teammates. I got knocked out and had to hosp it. :-P

Jax: Would you like some recipes that you can either set up in a crock pot or cook in under 30 minutes that are healthy and really tasty? I'll gladly share!

Chiyou: That's great to hear--and it's okay that your zone load is awful....catch up when you can. :-P

Jimmie: I hear ya on the logging food part. I was doing it obsessively for a very long time, counting every calorie and see what I ate vs. what I burned. MISERABLE! Now, I just eat when I'm hungry and try to eat mostly veggies and meats (with some fruits...I know, I know!). For snacks, I have some trail mixes that allow a quarter cup serving (which is a lot!!) and are very Paleo-friendly. I'd love to lose weight, but I'm also coming to terms with being the weight I am (which is fine...it's always funny when people try to guess my weight, even being on the chubby side...imagine when I'm mostly muscle!)...I just hate those numbers. >_<

Karinalynne: That's great to hear! Temptation takes a lot to overcome, but I know you can do it! Goodness, it's almost like we're all some sort of Lantern Corps folks or something.... wait, which one of you is Sinistro Corp.... <eyes everyone>

Harris: How you doin'? Anything to report?

Hey all! Sorry, I've been rotten about checking in.

Doing pretty well here! No cheating on the diet front, and I've already gotten a sugar-free day under my belt, so I'm on track with that. Exercise has been more of a challenge.

(By which I mean, I decided to set the oven to 'self-clean' yesterday and apparently filled my house with radioactive hell-fumes, because it still smells like barbecued rat hair in here 24 hours later. So, not so much with the working out I was slated to do yesterday.)

But! I just did a 10-burpee challenge tonight. Which puts me on track for the week with that, too. BURPEES, WOOT.

I'm getting stronger already, even though I'm working out in this rather louche, perhaps-I-will-do-a-bunch-of-pushups-after-dinner sort of way. I can tell.

Jax, also mooooore than happy to share recipes if you're looking for 'em. I do a ton of cooking, and the rest of the fam isn't doing the whole primal thing, so I'm figuring out how to make everybody happy without spending hours on dinner.

Superpower: Time travel fo' sho'. So there can be three or four versions of me running around at any given moment. Also, I may be a Sekrit Cartoon Villain. Are you sure you can trust me? *grin*

Hey, Harris, my family's veto me ever having any kind of science degree--especially biochemical engineering. I was told I am one bored weekend from becoming a real life super villain. I'm right there with ya! BUT! I've also been compared to Captain America and Wonder Woman....so...meh.

I made an awesome Paleo dinner tonight.....and burned the hell outta my right hand.....workout is gonna hurt on Saturday. :(

Yes, I need crock pot recipies that actually work and don't suck. Most days I am running around at the time when I should be cooking dinner. Then we eat whatever I can find. Although, in the last year we have really claened up what we eat. No more hamburger helper and mac and cheese. Problem is we probably eat out a little more, because I don't have the fast and easy stuff to cook. Its often all or nothing on the food front around here. Clean and healthy meals 3-4 nights a week and crap the other 3-4. I am trying to get it down to eating out bad once a week. That is realistic for us with all the out of the house time we have. But I need to find some other dinners besides pasta (spaggetti squash for me), tacos,soup and chili. Meal planning is also the enemy for me. Bah, I guess I better go and figure out what we are eating for dinner tonight.

Jax, do you eat soy sauce? Chicken adobo is amaaaaaaazing. Not a crock pot recipe, but a very low-maintenance stovetop one that takes about half an hour. And you don't actually have to marinate the chicken ahead of time like this recipe says, I've made it without that step and it was fabulous. Also, I used frozen chicken thighs without thawing them first, and they came out beautiful.

The recipe I used was Mark Bittmann's -- it had more soy sauce and less vinegar -- but I'd like to try this one, because it was a bit too salty.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/filipino-chicken-adobo-recipe/index.html

Another quick thing that I really love is fish in a packet. Take individual-size portions of any kind of fish -- salmon works especially well for this -- and put them on squares of tinfoil big enough to fold closed over the top. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper, and any herbs or spices you like. (Dill is great.) You can use wine, mustard, marinades, garlic or onion, any flavoring you want, and you can add vegetables to cook along with the fish. Fold the packets closed. Pop in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 350-400 degrees.

Whole chicken in a crockpot: Rub a whole chicken with salt, pepper and spices. Chop up an onion. Put the onion in a crockpot with the chicken on top. Turn on low and let it cook all day. Hey presto: Tasty chicken! And when you pull it off the bones, you can put the bones back in the crockpot with a little meat and make broth.

http://www.food.com/recipe/whole-chicken-crock-pot-recipe-33671

So sorry, teammates. I got knocked out and had to hosp it. :-P

Seriously? How'd you get knocked out?

Jimmie: I hear ya on the logging food part. I was doing it obsessively for a very long time, counting every calorie and see what I ate vs. what I burned. MISERABLE! Now, I just eat when I'm hungry and try to eat mostly veggies and meats (with some fruits...I know, I know!). For snacks, I have some trail mixes that allow a quarter cup serving (which is a lot!!) and are very Paleo-friendly. I'd love to lose weight, but I'm also coming to terms with being the weight I am (which is fine...it's always funny when people try to guess my weight, even being on the chubby side...imagine when I'm mostly muscle!)...I just hate those numbers. >_<

I'm not worrying about calories, just what I'm eating and portion size.

The only reasons my weight bothers me are: 1) climbing is an issue, as I'm still lugging 30 extra pounds around. I had some problems bouldering in Sedona this summer. 2) I carry all my weight in my gut, which has some serious medical consequences. At 47, this is an issue now.

But! I just did a 10-burpee challenge tonight. Which puts me on track for the week with that, too. BURPEES, WOOT.

WOOT for burpees and push-ups!

Hey, Harris, my family's veto me ever having any kind of science degree--especially biochemical engineering. I was told I am one bored weekend from becoming a real life super villain. I'm right there with ya! BUT! I've also been compared to Captain America and Wonder Woman....so...meh.

I made an awesome Paleo dinner tonight.....and burned the hell outta my right hand.....workout is gonna hurt on Saturday. :(

Accident prone much? Knocked out and now a burn?

Yes, I need crock pot recipies that actually work and don't suck. Most days I am running around at the time when I should be cooking dinner. Then we eat whatever I can find. Although, in the last year we have really claened up what we eat. No more hamburger helper and mac and cheese. Problem is we probably eat out a little more, because I don't have the fast and easy stuff to cook. Its often all or nothing on the food front around here. Clean and healthy meals 3-4 nights a week and crap the other 3-4. I am trying to get it down to eating out bad once a week. That is realistic for us with all the out of the house time we have. But I need to find some other dinners besides pasta (spaggetti squash for me), tacos,soup and chili. Meal planning is also the enemy for me. Bah, I guess I better go and figure out what we are eating for dinner tonight.

I'll dig out some of our crockpot recipes for you; might be next week as the next few days are busy. My wife makes a great pork and prune stew, and I've done lots of chicken dishes in the crock.

---

BTW, I need a kick in the butt. Got too busy last night playing with my new suspension trainer/squat rack that I never did my stretching. And, lo and behold, my plantar fasciitis flared up this morning.