• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LRB

Committed, crossfitting rebels

I started a new group under the Cross-Guild tab of the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnL943o3CTUvdEozOEM2Mk9memZ3ZVF3SGJ6aU93Z2c#gid=7). I'm hoping to pull together a group of rebels who have done other challenges, so know that they can (and probably will) stay active and involved throughout the six weeks. I do Crossfit, and I talk about it a LOT, so I figured I'd try to find a bunch of other people like me. Care to join? Just sign up. Post here and let us know things like how many challenges you've done and what box you go to (if any). What are your CF strengths? Weaknesses? Have you competed? How long have you been doing this?

Thanks!

LRB, thanks for the invite, let's do this.

I am currently a 4x a week member over at North Haven Crossfit. I'm in my 12th week of CrossFit after not working out at all for close to 8 years. The Paleo Challenge along with the programming and support of the trainers at the gym have me addicted to progress and the changes I have been seeing.

I am currently pushing hard to get ready for the Christmas Throwdown on Dec 8th. It will be my first time in competition and it will be at the scaled level.

Hey rx'drobot! Welcome! I started CF in March, after months of sitting on the couch pretending that having a gym membership was the same thing as exercising regularly. And before that, I was going to koko fitclub (details here), and while I liked the place, there was nothing about it that GRABBED me, you know? The best thing about it was I could go at 10:30 at night when I had already taken care of all my "must do" things for the day. That right there says something about how I prioritized workouts, huh?

And then I read about Spezzy, and started hearing more about CrossFit, and then my gym (Crossfit Newton) ran a Living Social deal for On Ramp classes and three weeks of membership afterward and I figured "why not?"

And then I was hooked. I participated in my first competition this past weekend -- the Garage Games New England Finals at Crossfit Southie -- and loved it beyond all reasonable measure.

Strengths - I'm stubborn. Also, KBS and situps. And my deadlift is disproportionately heavy compared to my other lifts.

Weaknesses - I get inside my own head too often. Box jumps terrify me after a nasty fall, and I have trouble with most of the gymnastics-y movements. Also I need to work on cardiovascular fitness so that my breathing is not what limits me.

I finally made it to the thread! I started CF in August and I have well and truly drunk the KoolAid. I love it, even on the days when it seems like I'm the slowest/weakest person there. I usually manage 2-3x per week, 4 on a really good week when I have time off from work. I love my box (CrossFit Tahlequah); the coaches and members are all super supportive.

My strength is, well, strength, especially movements that use my lower body. Squats, deadlifts, thrusters, wallballs; you give me a weight to move and let me use my legs, and I'm happy. Pushing stuff overhead isn't as good, but I'm getting there. My weakness is anything involving skills; jump rope/double unders, burpees, etc. I'm not terribly coordinated, and I have real problems with abdominal flexibility thanks to adhesions from my two c-sections, so that's something I'm working on.

I haven't competed; it's a long-term goal, even though I suspect I might be competing as a Master by the time I'm at that level.

@LoD - I am frequently among the less accomplished/capable folks doing a WOD. I wrote this a while ago, and it remains true -- thought you might enjoy it:

The people I admire most are not the ones who lift the most, who move the most quickly, or who are "best" at the sport.

The people I admire most are the ones who look like the next step will kill them, the next box jump will be the one they miss, the next pull up might rip their arms out of their socket, but they take the next step anyway, they jump up onto the box, and they pull themselves up to the bar.

It is not impressive to me when people accomplish things with ease. It is impressive to me when they push themselves to their limits, and then go further.

And in CrossFit, you can do that at any level – whether you run a six-minute mile or a twelve-minute mile, whether your box jump is 30” or 16", whether your pullup is strict or assisted. And that means that even the very least capable beginner can be the most impressive person in the room.

And I LOVE that.

@LoD - I am frequently among the less accomplished/capable folks doing a WOD. I wrote this a while ago, and it remains true -- thought you might enjoy it:

The people I admire most are not the ones who lift the most, who move the most quickly, or who are "best" at the sport.

The people I admire most are the ones who look like the next step will kill them, the next box jump will be the one they miss, the next pull up might rip their arms out of their socket, but they take the next step anyway, they jump up onto the box, and they pull themselves up to the bar.

It is not impressive to me when people accomplish things with ease. It is impressive to me when they push themselves to their limits, and then go further.

And in CrossFit, you can do that at any level – whether you run a six-minute mile or a twelve-minute mile, whether your box jump is 30” or 16", whether your pullup is strict or assisted. And that means that even the very least capable beginner can be the most impressive person in the room.

And I LOVE that.

<3 <3 <3

Checking back in after a weekend away from the gym. I don't know about you, but after a couple days away I feel really guilty. Also, with the paleo challenge over, here are my results:

Description: Before/After

Weight: 184/172

Waist: 34/31.5

Hips: 40.5/35.5

Chest: 37.5/36.25

Top of Arm: 12/11.5

Thigh: 23.5/23.5

Workouts: Benchmark/New

Randy: 6:40/4:50

Christine: 15:18/11:35

Lurong Original: 13:50/11:47

Total: 35:48/28:12

How'd it all work out for you? I plan to be at least 90% Paleo from now on.

For me?

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR=bgcolor: transparent]

[TH=bgcolor: transparent][/TH]

[TH=class: matrixColumn, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center][h=6]

[/h]VALIDATED

[/TH]

[TH=class: matrixColumn, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center][h=6]

[/h]VALIDATED

[/TH]

[/TR]

[TD=class: matrixItem, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center]Waist[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]29 "[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]28 "[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: matrixItem, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center]Hips[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]37 3/4 "[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]36 3/4 "[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: matrixItem, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center]Chest[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]31 "[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]30 "[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: matrixItem, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center]Thigh[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]22 1/4 "[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]22 "[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: matrixItem last, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center]Arm[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd last, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]11 1/4 "[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd last, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]11 1/2 "[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: matrixItem last, bgcolor: #3D3D3D, align: center]Total[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd last, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]131 1/4 "[/TD]

[TD=class: matrixOdd last, bgcolor: #1D1D1D, align: center]128 1/4 "[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Not a huge change overall, but I partway through I got a little frustrated with what seemed to be the randomness of it all -- we could have splenda but not maple syrup? A protein shake, but no white wine? And if you did one rep at the Rx level of a workout, you placed ahead of someone who did 100s of reps at the scaled level.

So, I lost interest and kinda stopped -- and at times not only stopped, but rebelled HARD against it and just did whatever the F@*k I wanted. Of course, that was a matter of cutting off my nose to spite my face, at I should know better by now. But I was feeling petty and rebellious, so there was no reasoning with me.

My thought/plan from here on out is to be the paleo version of the vegan friend who isn't militant about it. When I control my own meals (e.g., am providing my own food, or choose the restaurant at which we eat out), I will be paleo. When others control, I will minimize grains, dairy, soy & legumes but not (for example) avoid the meatballs because they have breadcrumbs in them. Ultimately, my goal when I do not control my own food is that the non-paleo things be incidental to an otherwise-paleo meal/dish, and not the main part of the meal/dish.

Fingers crossed.

How are you all doing? After a long weekend volunteering and hanging out with my fellow college alumni, I broke my eating habits more than I want to admit. Now I only have a few days to clean things up and get ready for the Christmas Throwdown CrossFit competition that I am going to on Saturday.

Good luck at the throwdown, Rx'dRobot!

My eating has been for sh!t recently. But I've come up with a new plan -- self-accountability, if you will. I'm photographing all my food and posting to a tumblr. lrbfood.tumblr.com . (Password is lrbfood if you're interested). I have a feeling it's going to get very boring very quickly, but I'm going to give it a try -- having a visual log of what I eat may be easier than trying to weigh and measure. I'm also hoping it'll help me to do away with mindless snacking, if I have to stop and take a picture before I take a bite.

Wish me luck! And also help me figure out how not to be that guy (gal) who pisses off everyone else at the table when we're out at dinner.

Otherwise, I'm doing well. I'm glad the Lurong challenge is over, and I can get back to just following the programming at my box. I'm choosing heavier weights during the workouts than I was previously, and I'm feeling it -- it's good to be back.