Stareyedgirl's Badass Fairy Druid Challenge Part V - Ramping Back Up

Stareyedgirl

So my last challenge was all about getting back to basics. I had changed careers, and my whole routine was turned upside down, because working from home with no pre-made structure to my day was very difficult at first. When I was getting my Master's degree it was a little like that, because I did all of my scholarly writing from home, but I also had the structure of classes I had to attend and TA for, lab meetings, meetings with my advisor. Once I was untethered from all of that, I fell into the trap of "I have all of the time in the world. I can work later!".

Through trial and error (and several failed life goals :)) I have developed a system that is working exceedingly well for me. There are days when I get up and think, Wow. I don't want to work today. I'm tired, sick, sore, lazy, hungry, etc. But I get out of bed (without reading the internet) go downstairs, make tea, step onto my treadmill desk with my faithful furry companion at my side and just start typing. Before I know it, I've got a plan for the day and I've started it all despite my whiny self that tried to convince me that today was not the day for working. So there.

So it's time once again to refocus back on fitness. (Since this is nerdfitness.com, not nerdlifegoal.com after all)

I think that I've got the balance I want right now with working, and so I'm hoping I can ramp up the fitness and everything won't crumble. Fingers Crossed.

Goal 1

Every Day Yoga

I have moved away from yoga in my goals in the last couple of challenges, because I was struggling to find time to do anything let alone work out. (When I make excuses, the workout is the first to get the ax.) I have heard time and time again that the fitness habit is more important than what you do. So here it is. The establishment of the fitness habit. I want to do yoga every day. For the purposes of this challenge, I'm going to keep it simple.

3 sessions no shorter than 30 minutes

4 sessions no shorter than 15 minutes

I'm grading this by streak. (I love streaks) and I'm using the 80%, 60%, 40%, 20% grading scheme.

34+ Days - A

25+ Days - B

17+ Days - C

9+ Days - D

[i'll add points later]

Goal 2

100 push-ups for real this time. During the last challenge, I did very well on my 100 push-ups challenge. But I was doing modified pushups. No more! I'm going to switch to full push-ups and start the program all over!

Same criteria as last time:

100 push-ups OR average of 2.5x/week - A

Average 1.5x/week or more - C

[i'll add points later]

Goal 3

Cardio

Cardio goes right out the window for me as soon as the weather turns cold. I'm looking out the window and I see snow flurries, so, yep. This is where the whole cardio thing takes a dive for the winter. Last winter, I was all studenty and the weather was downright balmy for Wisconsin so I walked everywhere so I got more cardio. This year, I'm a reclusive writer who leaves the house maybe twice a week, and they're predicting a bitterly cold winter. I am so not set up for success, here. So I'm going to keep it simple.

30 minutes of cardio as determined by time spent in either the fat burning or aerobic zones on my heart rate monitor. 3x a week.

Last challenge I aimed for 2.5x/week, but I'd like to increase it slightly.

Average of 3x/week - A

Average of 2.5x/week - B

Average of 2x/week - C

Average of 1.5/week - D

[stats to be added later]

Goal 4

Life goal. I was going to make completing nanowrimo a goal, but I'm doing that anyway, it's already almost half way done and it's finished 2 weeks into the challenge. So instead we're going to address my procrastination. I have TOTALLY been doing what I want to be doing in terms of working. However, I've also been procrastinating. I stay up late - way later than the average person - and because of this, I feel like I can just do my work after midnight. The tough thing is that I can do my work after midnight. I don't seriously consider sleep until 3 or 4 am. Working until 2 or 3 is really not a problem, except that I like that time to by mine relaxy me-time. I like to read, and I would have fewer nights reading until 6am if I started at 2 instead of 4. I don't want to cut out working after midnight altogether, but I want to limit the amount of work that I do after midnight. There's nothing worse than the husband going to bed and having 2 more hours of work stretching out before me before I get to read or play a video game.

Criteria:

Have all but an hour's worth of work completed by 9pm (this is when the husband gets home, so no work gets done from 9-11:30ish - that's husband social/TV time - so the work has to be done before he gets home) Working out is not allowed after midnight - that must be done before 9 pm.

I'm not doing a streak on this one. It will be graded on % of days that I do this.

80%+ A

60% - 80% B

40% - 60% C

20% - 40% D

[stats to be added later]

Ok that's it for me now. I've got to go get started on my working if I want to get everything but an hour done before 9! I'll add the stats in tomorrow or later tonight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

STR: 10 DEX: 8.5 STA: 11.5 CON:12.25 WIS:13.25 CHA:10

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

"You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a clubâ€

~ Jack London

Winter's tough, isn't it? I got up this morning and walked outside without a jacket because the dog was in a rush to get outside, and I was none too pleased... Still, gotta do what you gotta do! Do you plan on doing stuff inside instead of out?

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2qmfbys.jpg[/sIGPIC]

SpazzyMal, level 1 Faun Druid

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

[/TABLE]

Yeah, I really liked the jump rope challenge from this last time around, so I'll probably do that sometimes. I've got a treadmill desk, stairs, and workout videos. Between all of those things, I can usually put together some sort of cardio thing. I'll probably just do a circuit kind of thing. A little of this a little of that. Doesn't matter what I do as long as my heart rate stays in the right range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Did my baseline for real pushups. And the grand total of the maximum pushups I can do in one set IS:

When I start the program officially, my first day's pushups will be a grand total of 12.

A far cry from the 18 I could do in one set for modified and the 60 total, but hey. You've got to start somewhere :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Awesome goals, Stareyedgirl!!

I did the 100 push up challenge about a year ago, with the goal of doing 50... I think I started at 11 and managed to make it so you totally have got this. I also wasn't very diligent about doing the workouts when I should :) Knowing you, you will be JUST FINE!

We are both going for every day yoga.. accountability and cheering constantly!! :)

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

But I get out of bed (without reading the internet) go downstairs, make tea, step onto my treadmill desk with my faithful furry companion at my side and just start typing. Before I know it, I've got a plan for the day and I've started it all despite my whiny self that tried to convince me that today was not the day for working. So there.

So it's time once again to refocus back on fitness. (Since this is nerdfitness.com, not nerdlifegoal.com after all)

Yay! Such a win! And personally, I'm here to "level up my life" and all the life goals are way more interesting to read about than the fitness ones. :-)

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

We are both going for every day yoga.. accountability and cheering constantly!! :)

Yay for daily yoga! We're going to rock it out!

Yay! Such a win! And personally, I'm here to "level up my life" and all the life goals are way more interesting to read about than the fitness ones. :-)

Totally agree. I think this website - more than anything else, has really helped me to focus on what I want out of my life and how I can work towards getting it. I think the majority of the benefit I've gotten hasn't had much to do with fitness at all! This is ok with me, though :)

First day:

Well, my first day went really well! I'm back on the Weight Watchers wagon, so that's good news. I finished all but about 45 minutes of work by 9pm and then had a relaxing evening reading and chatting with the hubby. Then some TV & crocheting. Finished my work and did some more reading. So far, I'm LOVING this whole not leaving all of my work until the last minute thing - and that was after getting a late start because I had been writing up my goals!

I did about 20 minutes of yoga yesterday. It was the first time in a long time and boy oh boy was I stiff. I'm glad I'm making this my daily fitness habit! I put on my heart rate monitor just to see if any of my yoga sessions would be able to count for cardio. I only made it into the fat burning zone for a couple of minutes, and I was preoccupied by looking at my phone to look at my HR the whole time so I think I'm just going to make it a point to do cardio separately - maybe before my yoga sessions.

Today, I got a good start on my work, so maybe I'll even finish a little early and spend some quality time stabbing British soldiers (Assassin's Creed III).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

So far so good!

Yesterday I finished just before 9. I thought I was doing good on time, but then my doorbell rang at 5:30. I had completely forgotten that I had a student coming! Whoops. So there went a half hour.

Did some cardio and a 1/2 hour of yoga afterward. My back has really been giving me problems, and I'm not sure if it's from too much sitting or the fact that I've started yoga again... I'm hoping after a couple of days of yoga my neck and back will settle down.

Today is my first big challenge for finishing before 9. My best friend called and wants to do coffee. Coffee when we get together often stretches into hey let's go see a movie, have dinner, talk for 4 hours.

So... well we'll see. I've got a good jump on the day, so we'll see where it leads...

I'm hoping that this challenge, I can be a little more involved in other people's challenges. That's what I'm going to work on next week :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Well, luckily... or unluckily depending on your perspective, my friend had someone with her who needed to leave after about an hour an half. If she hadn't, we totally would have gone and seen Skyfall. She hasn't seen it, and since I thought it was the best movie ever, I would have gone and seen it again :)

But alas, no Bond for me.

Got everything done though!

Today isn't going so well. I'm at a point in my nano story where I'm not exactly sure how my characters are going to get from point B to point C... so I think I'm probably going to produce 2000 words of total crap today and it's probably going to take me forever to do it. Not looking forward to it, but who knows. Maybe it will fix itself.

I think my major problem today is that I'm tired. I have great books that I've been reading, and I keep staying up too late to finish them. Then I wake up tired and have a mantra of "I don't wanna" running through my head all day.

Well, I think I probably just need to swallow the frog. Sit down and write out my 2000 probably-crappy words and move on to other things :)

Tonight is definitely a night for stabbing the British (Assassins Creed III - not actual British people :))

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Remember: the thought manifests the word, the word manifests the deed. If you sit down( I mean hop on your treadmill!!) at your desk and think: well, here comes 2,000 crappy words, that's what you'll get. Try: "I'm a professional writer, and I am going to write these words that are a part of my passion." oh, and your internal sensor will probably freak out when it hears the words "professional writer." Just tell it " I AM a professional writer, because this is what professional writers do. so lay off, jerk! you're nothing but a want for pizza and 6 hours of watching storage wars." The sensor also hates words like "awesome" "capable" and "really good." if your alarm bells go off while composing a mantra, you're doing it right.

Here's a trick I learned: LOOK UP. Hold on to that negative thought. Then Look up at the ceiling and smile. Breathe deep. The change of literal perspective fires some activation in your brain that causes your whole mind to re evaluate what you're doing. The negative though will dissipate....you can feel it leaving, it's weird, and it totally works.

Do we get to read your book...?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Satyr Druid

| STR:1 | DEX:2 | STA:2 | CON:2 | WIS:4 | CHA:4 |

I am a leaf on the wind...

Well, luckily... or unluckily depending on your perspective, my friend had someone with her who needed to leave after about an hour an half. If she hadn't, we totally would have gone and seen Skyfall. She hasn't seen it, and since I thought it was the best movie ever, I would have gone and seen it again

But alas, no Bond for me.

I haven't been able to see Skyfall yet, either. My sister is usually our sitter, but she's been going out of town every weekend. My husband is a huge Bond fan, he's red all the Ian Fleming novels and we've bought all the movies over the years. I've grown to appreciate it a lot more since marrying him than I did as a kid (We even named our first dog Ms. Moneypenny :biggrin-new:)

I hope your writing turned out well!

Level 1 Druid
STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2
Garg 'nuair dhùisgear

I love TED. I thought this talk by Elizabeth Gilbert on creative genius was amazing.

And I hear you on the books keeping you up! I'm already thinking that for my next challenge I have to give up reading fiction - just so I can get some of this other stuff done!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support!

At this moment, I'm feeling much better. I'm not sure why... today pretty much sucked.

While doing yoga yesterday, I caught a glimpse of my stomach in the mirror and it was... well, it didn't make me feel better, that's for sure.

Today, my back was super painful and I feel like it's my fault for not doing enough/the right kind of activity.

I found out that an online game that I've been playing for like 3 YEARS that I love love love is ending and my poor little character Paige Turner is going to be gone forever :miserable:

And finally, at the end of the day, when I was feeling most miserable, one of my cats peed on the floor.

I think it was when I was cleaning up the cat pee on the floor that I was like, "Ok, Ok, I get it, universe. The lesson for today is that things can always get worse, I'll stop moping and get to work! Sheesh."

And then I did. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

As to reading the book... don't hold your breath. It will be going through at least a few drafts before anyone but me and my husband reads it. :) Rule #1 of writing. Never show anyone your first draft, and only show your second draft to someone who loves you enough to be nice to you while they tell you which parts totally make no sense and aren't as funny/sad/happy/interesting as you thought they were when you typed them at 3 in the morning :)

But I'll say that I really like this story, and if I can make it work at all, I'll probably let people read it eventually :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

I've been feeling pretty good the last couple of days. I think I'm coming out of my mini-funk :)

I'm almost caught up on my nano words, I just really needed to sit down and to some outlining and planning and now I'm doing pretty good.

I'm still sad that Glitch is shutting down, but they're not officially pulling the plug until the 9th of December, and in the mean time, they're releasing all of the material they had been working on, they've given everyone pretty much unlimited access to paid content, and they've reduced learning time for skills so that everyone will get to experience as much of the game as possible in the last couple of weeks. So I'm sad to see it go, but at least we can give it a proper send-off!

I only managed 2 cardio sessions so far this week, I'm not sure if I'll do another cardio session today. I kind of want to, but I might have stayed up until... way to late playing games. Oops. So today I have a headache and my back is killing me.

I have 2 push up sessions so far this week, but I'm planning on doing a third yet today - why doing pushups seems like so much less work than doing a cardio session, I have no idea.

I've done yoga every day this week, today will be my 7th day - only a couple more days until I have a D for that goal for the challenge :) So so far so good on that front!

I did 5 days so far of not procrastinating and getting everything but an hour's of work done before 9. I missed 1 day, but that's ok. For the days that I did it, I felt less stressed and more able to relax and enjoy the time that I'm not working, which is the whole point :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

I hope you're feeling better!

It looks like you're doing pretty well on most fronts... but let's see some more pushups!! I wanted to do the 100 pushups thing too but I just don't know how to fit it into my already hectic schedule.

But yay! Go you! *cheering section*

Level 4 Shape Shifting AdventurerSTR: 3.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 6.0CON: 5.75 | WIS: 8.25 | CHA: 7.25

Things are going well this week! I'm off to a pretty good start.

I did cardio yesterday - jump rope. I would like to say this: When we did the jump rope challenge, I was still doing the heart rate cardio thing. To have my heart rate stay in my target zone, I was able to do 500 jumps in a half hour, because I had to keep stopping and waiting for my heart rate to come back down to earth. Seriously, it was like - do 15 jumps - w a i t w a i t w a i t, drink some water, look at the heart rate monitor - ok Jump! do 15 jumps rinse repeat.

Yesterday? Half an hour - 800 jumps!!! What? That's awesome. I definitely felt like I had to jump more because my heart rate plummeted every time I stopped. At one point, I had to switch the netflix show I was watching because I tried the first episode of the Anthony Bourdain show No Reservations and I HATED IT. I couldn't even stand to finish the first episode - The description clearly stated that the show was about food, but it wasn't even about food, he spent like half an hour pretending that he was hallucinating because he drank absinthe. >.< Ugh. Either way, when I switched the episode, my heart rate fell all the way out of the range almost back to what it was before I even started working out. I had hardly any rest time between "sets". I was barely done with one before I had to quick do some more to keep from falling. Soon I'll be able to just jump forever! (until my calves give out that is, they are a little sore today - not too bad.)

Pushups! I did 12 on Sunday night. And honest to God every single time I do a real pushup, I get down to the bottom and I'm like, 'Holy crap. There's no way I can get all the way back up there'. And yet somehow I do... it's going to be a while before I make progress on this one. I did the pushups Sunday night, and my deep core muscles are still angry with me. During my daily yoga, my up dog & cobra are full of ouch. (not the bad kind, the good but painful kind... I'm not explaining that well. It feels good to stretch it, but the muscles are still sore? That's sort of better.) My next set is slated to be 16. Not sure I'm going to make it, but I'll keep chipping away at it. I'm hoping I can get up to 25 by the end of the challenge.

Daily yoga. Doing it! Loving it. Today will be day .. 9! I'll officially have gotten a D for the challenge - then 8 more days to go before I get a C :) Because I've been writing so much lately and I can't do it all on my treadmill desk, my upper-mid back and neck have been killing me. Then after I'm done writing for the evening, I stretch out all the kinks and get back to feeling like a person again, instead of a crunched up ball of pain. I'm working on increasing my time at my treadmill desk, but that makes my hips hurt. Stupid twisty spine mucks everything up.

I've been doing very well getting everything but an hour's worth done by 9. And I have had SO MUCH FREE TIME because of it. I almost feel guilty because I have an actual work day and then downtime with the hubby and then a little me-time before bed. I'm in HEAVEN. I've been reading so much, and I've been getting to play Glitch to say farewell to a lovely quirky game, and I'm putting a crap ton of words onto the page, I've written some songs, the house looks cleaner, I'm getting in exercise, AND I'm learning a ton of new songs to just play and sing. Heaven. Seriously.

Things with my story are clicking on all cylinders, it's taking me much less time to write my words lately, because I have a really clear picture of how things are going to play out at least for the next couple of days, so I'm trying to take advantage of that to catch up a little. I'm still not sure if I'll make it to 50,000 by the end of November because Thanksgiving is coming up - tis the season of talking & laughing, eating & drinking with friends and family. Not as much work gets done, but I think it's a worthy trade :) Even if I don't make it all the way, I'll be darn close.

Well that's it for me for now!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Haven't written for a while, but I'm still doing stuff!

I haven't broken my yoga streak yet. Today will be day 15 or 16, I don't remember which.

Cardio and Pushups might have fallen by the wayside over Thanksgiving... oops. I did them yesterday, 16 pushups and 1000 jump ropes. My cardio is really coming along nicely, even if I did take a week off.

Today should probably be another cardio and push-up day, but I'm feeling so sick and icky, I don't think that's going to happen. I think there will probably be Mucinex and Nyquil in my near future.

I've been doing a fairly good job of finishing everything but an hour before 9, not perfect, but most days I manage to get it all done. Because of that, I've had a ton more free time.

I finished a crochet sweater and I'm working on finishing up a cross-stitch that I've been working on for forever. I'm looking forward to crossing it off my list - the stitching is all done, now I'm just going back through and doing the back stitching, which is my favorite part. I like to do my crafts while watching British television shows - don't know why, but there you are. I watched the Pride & Prejudice miniseries with Colin Firth, and now I've been making my way through Doc Martin. I still have to catch up on the most recent season of Doctor Who, and someday I'm going to finish Torchwood. I love netflix. :)

Well that's all from me for now. I'm going to go finish up my work for the day and then try to get some sleep. I hate feeling sick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

It looks like you're doing pretty well despite a Thanksgiving slump.

My recommendations if you feel yourself getting sick are

a) vitamin C and

B) not straying from your workout plan. You don't want your body to know that you submit to being sick before you absolutely have to. If you push through it, you're likely to get over the cold sooner... it may not even get worse at all!

Keep up the good work and get well soon!

Level 4 Shape Shifting AdventurerSTR: 3.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 6.0CON: 5.75 | WIS: 8.25 | CHA: 7.25

Hi! Weekly update!

Well, after several days of 10-12 hours of sleep, I'm back on my feet and December is off to an awesome start :)

This week I only did cardio and pushups twice because of the whole being sick thing, but both went swimmingly.

For cardio I did jump rope, because it's the easiest indoor cardio workout I can think of. If anyone else has any ideas of indoor cardio that doesn't require too much space and that I can watch TV during, feel free to suggest. I might get sick of jump rope at some point this winter... although if the weather keeps going the way it has been, I might be able to walk outside some as well! It's 60 degrees today... we're close to record highs for December.

Either way, the breaks to bring my heart rate down are much shorter than they used to be before. I'm hoping that someday I can just jump continuously with no breaks for my heart rate to settle. I would love that.

Pushups! I did 22 during my last set. It was hard, and my low/mid back really didn't like me yesterday, but I have to think that it's getting stronger and push-ups are one of the fastest way to strengthen my core/back/upper body all at once. And that's my goal, so onward. More pushups! I'm going to try to get them in 4 times this week to see if I can make up for ones that I haven't done, so that means doing them Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sun. 23 is the set I'm going to do today, which is only one more, but for the first time, one of my sets is 6! (Actually 2 sets). We'll see how it goes. So far, I haven't had to repeat any workouts, but I have a feeling that will be coming soon.

Not procrastinating. This is going really well, and I'm SO glad I made this a goal this time around. It's probably the most helpful goal I've made. I have had so much TIME. I'm doing all the things I need to do, and I have TIME to watch some TV, cross-stitch, hang out with my husband, see friends & family. It's freaking awesome.

Nano is over. I didn't "win", but I'm not really bummed about it, because I had an inkling that I probably wouldn't finish the first couple of weeks in. Namely, because I don't like to write a ton over the weekend. That's my time to spend with my friends and family and husband and to do stuff around the house. I work on my novel every day, but I usually only put down like 500 words on a weekend day versus 1000-2000 on a week day. When I was in school, I spent enough time ducking out on social stuff because "I had work to do" or "I was too busy" and I spent all of my time in a frantic "must go faster" pace so that when the semester was over I collapsed onto my couch as a puddle of goo for the duration of winter break. I genuinely hope that phase of my life is over - it sucked. Moderation, here I come!

As it was, I didn't do to shabby. I've got about 40k words of my first draft, and a very good idea of where the book and it's sequel are headed. It's got a long road ahead of it. If I had to guess, I'd say that I was looking at about 150k for the entire shebang, and then there's the rewrites... Well.

Yoga. Did it. Every day. Even when I was sick (thank goodness for restorative yoga). Yesterday was my 21st day in a row! I've officially got a C for the challenge. 4 more days till I hit B! Go me!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines